Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

School resource officers exist for a reason

Seems like Parkland Guy missed quite a bit. 

I'm sure it's a cushy job most of the time, boring, low key and most likely (depending where you live) a lot safer than patrolling the streets, issuing warrants, etc.  Which is why I'd never put an officer/deputy that age and close to retirement in that position. 

I'd fear that if something tragic went down, surrounded by all the chaos, the thoughts of retirement, pension, etc. would greatly impact their decision to engage and not protect and serve.  Which is exactly what this deputy did.  Of course, his reason could be different, but I'd find it hard to believe that his age and fear of dying didn't come into play.

• Like 2

I grew up in a law enforcement family. I married into a military family. 

From what we already know, this guy resembles many of people I’ve hear stories about. Giant ******* in police, fire, or military that get to skate by because of political reasons or incompetent management/HR. 

They exist everywhere. And counties usually just pay out millions in law suits instead of doing anything about it. 

Im glad someone finally is making a statement about it.

if you’re a coward (and most cowards know they’re cowards even if they pretend otherwise) maybe a job that requires you to carry a gun and wear a vest isn’t be right job for you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tshile said:

In too many places Sro was and still is a “put the weakest person there” job. People that suck at their job, can’t get along with colleagues, are close to retirement, etc. 

i think the entire department should be investigated for how this guy wound up on this post. I’m willing to bet you’ll find evidence of the above. Those decision makers should be held accountable too. 

I don't know the SRO at my daughter's school personally or anything about his performance/interaction with his peers.  But I do know that all the teachers/staff love him and he's a younger guy (late 20s - early 30s) and pretty stout guy.  I don't get the vibe that he's a weak link or anything like that.  

But agree, I'm sure that at a lot of places, the SRO was/is staffed with weak links or those close to retirement that would no longer be effective in the streets, busting down doors, chasing criminals, etc.  I'm sure at a lot of places, Officer Bob who is age 55, been on the force for 26 years or so, looking to retire after 30 years service to get full pension gets the favor/nod to be an SRO because they never made detective and there's not any desk job for them.  

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

In too many places Sro was and still is a “put the weakest person there” job. People that suck at their job, can’t get along with colleagues, are close to retirement, etc. 

"Security guard?  That's usually some old cop getting fat on a pension."  

-  Hans the terrorist.  

A lot of things have changed in the last few years. I’m willing to bet a lot are still stuck in the old mentality where sro is a babysitting job. Confiscate drugs and talk to parents about it. Deal with the occasional fight or way out of line student. 

They also used to wait for swat or more cops to show up. Then they learned it just lets a massacre go unchecked. Now they go in solo if that’s all they got. And they don’t even stop to help victims anymore until the shooter has at least been contained  

im just overly pessimistic. The guy showed traits of a coward. In my experience people inside the departments know who these cowards are. If they took school security seriously it’s hard to imagine they’d put that guy there. But my opinion is full of tons of conjecture so...

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

remember how magnetic door locks would help prevent the gun violence?

https://www.wavy.com/news/electronic-doors-halted-police-during-virginia-beach-shooting/

Unintended consequences.

From the same article:

But in many workplaces, security experts say, police often lack quick access to cards or codes — a situation that could cost them precious minutes in a mass shooting. One exception is schools, which have been at the forefront in ensuring that police can quickly get inside with their own key cards or other methods.

• Like 1

Um. He killed 12 people in 36 minutes and was essentially isolated to the second floor. Police evacuated floors 1 and 3 during that time. 

That isnt unintended consequences. That’s exactly what you want. The shooter isolated. 

The idea that it contributes negatively is made up by the news with zero comment from the police or anyone that actually knows what went on that day. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

From the same article:

(Police access to secured areas)

I know where I am, most businesses have a locked box near the front door. I assume the fire department has a key, to all the boxes. Inside is, I assume, the key to the front door. (And I don't know what else). 

Maybe give those same keys to the cops?  (Maybe not every cop. But some?  Lieutenant and up?  SWAT commander?)

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

I know where I am, most businesses have a locked box near the front door. I assume the fire department has a key, to all the boxes. Inside is, I assume, the key to the front door. (And I don't know what else). 

Maybe give those same keys to the cops?  (Maybe not every cop. But some?  Lieutenant and up?  SWAT commander?)

Way I'd hope it'd be treated is on a building by building basis, an actual plan for first responders and whoever they are calling for backup.  

Do a risk assessment, you have SOPs and Incident Response Plans to go with your Security Policy (hopefully having one).  The truth in computer security is the most important thing to protect are the people, not the computers, physical security has its own chapters in certifications like Security+ and CISSP.  You can fail for not thinking a lit parking lot at night for your employees was important.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Um. He killed 12 people in 36 minutes and was essentially isolated to the second floor. Police evacuated floors 1 and 3 during that time. 

That isnt unintended consequences. That’s exactly what you want. The shooter isolated. 

The idea that it contributes negatively is made up by the news with zero comment from the police or anyone that actually knows what went on that day. 

T-dog working the old “fake news” angle.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JCB said:

I remember being at UT a few years back, and lots of students had dildos strapped to their backpacks, with the slogan "C***s, Not Glocks."

as long as it's strapped we good.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2019 at 3:43 PM, JCB said:

I remember being at UT a few years back, and lots of students had dildos strapped to their backpacks, with the slogan "C***s, Not Glocks."

On 6/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, twa said:

as long as it's strapped we good.

twa confirms he's enjoys strap-on dildos.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1