Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Would those things also make it harder for potential victims to escape once the killer is inside?

Most lockdown procedures I've been apart of have kept you where you are.  I'd imagine in an active shooter situation, unless your section of the building is secure, you shouldn't go anywhere, stay in the locked room.  

What are they doing in schools these days for lockdown procedures?  Anyone's kids talk to them about it in 2019?

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Would those things also make it harder for potential victims to escape once the killer is inside?

Maybe. Depends on how they’re implemented. 

Around here they shelter in place anyways. So them getting out isn’t even the issue. 

Around here they’ve started installing sliding metal gate barriers in the halls so teachers can essentially lock down entire wings of halls quickly and permanently. 

Otherwise they turn off the lights, lock the doors, and put the kids in a corner of the room

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Some of y'all don't get how layers of security work and that's why this conversation is going in circles.

Yup. Absent a magical all encompassing solution, you must put multiple things together and hope that when one fails another comes to the rescue and saves the situation. 

Stationing police at schools isn’t a guarantee. Neither is arming teachers. Or reinforcing exterior doors and making them auto lock. Nor bullet proof glass. 

Downsides, cost, and no guarantee. But when your government has abandoned you on an issue you play the cards your dealt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

My thinking (and maybe this was already addressed) also is, ok, what about dismissal?

A bunch of kids exiting the school at once, in one spot and a shooter, who decided to wait until they left the potential security of the school interior.

You have more potential for mass casualties.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, visionary said:

I'm not sure that doing this is appropriate. Sure, fire the guy for inaction but criminal charges? That seems excessive.

I'm probably in the minority with that though.

Edit..ok maybe the perjury charges are acceptable. But I'd tend to think inaction being labeled criminal is excessive. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Inaction to protect minors in your care is neglect or abuse, be you a parent, preschool or teacher ect.

There is going to be the question on if he can be compelled to risk his life....which with adults is clear you are not.

with children it is less so.

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

The perjury charges probably stick. I don't believe the police have a legal duty to help you in a shooting.

Not if you are a adult, no

Kids have different rights to protection from those entrusted with them.

Apparently in Japan, when parents suspect their children might commit mass murder, they preemptively kill them:

Ex-top farm ministry official says Kawasaki attack prompted his murder of son

TOKYO
A former top bureaucrat of the farm ministry arrested on the weekend over the murder of his son has told investigators the mass stabbing in Kawasaki near Tokyo last week prompted the killing, investigative sources said Monday.

Hideaki Kumazawa, 76, told investigators that he "thought my son might harm others" after finding out about the stabbing rampage last Tuesday in which a man said to have become a social recluse allegedly killed two and injured more than a dozen others before taking his own life, according to the sources.

Kumazawa was quoted as saying his 44-year-old son Eiichiro "tended to be withdrawn from social life and exhibited violent behavior" toward him and his wife, the sources said.

A note believed to have been left by Kumazawa, also a former Japanese ambassador to the Czech Republic, was found at his home suggesting his murderous intent. His son was found with a dozen wounds concentrated in his upper body including chest and abdomen.

Kumazawa was arrested Saturday and sent to prosecutors on Monday on suspicion of murder.

Click on the link for the full article

14 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm not sure that doing this is appropriate. Sure, fire the guy for inaction but criminal charges? That seems excessive.

I'm probably in the minority with that though.

Edit..ok maybe the perjury charges are acceptable. But I'd tend to think inaction being labeled criminal is excessive. 

It was his job to do something. He didn’t do anything. 

If he didn’t want to do something there’s other jobs out there. Maybe they could have hired someone that would actually do something in his place. Who knows how different the outcome could have been. 

Responsibility’s a ****. 

5 hours ago, tshile said:

It was his job to do something. He didn’t do anything. 

If he didn’t want to do something there’s other jobs out there. Maybe they could have hired someone that would actually do something in his place. Who knows how different the outcome could have been. 

Responsibility’s a ****. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

If its not a crime it should be

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/us/scot-peterson-video-footage-parkland-shooting.html

Check out the video surveillance in the article posted above.  

This SRO was 56 years old, lets assume he had been a deputy since he was in his 20s, 30+ years on the job.  He was a coward, thinking about his retirement and pension and not wanting to die.  Guy belonged behind a desk or patrolling the streets, imo, not being the lifeline to students in a mass killing spree.  

In today's world, law enforcement agencies need to re-think who they make the SRO of the schools.  If the SRO at my daughters school was in their mid 50s or older I'd have a huge problem with that, for the very reason I stated above.  

• Like 1

School resource officers exist for a reason

ESSENTIAL DUTIES

1. Patrol district property for suspicious activity, unauthorized persons on campus, or unauthorized entry after 
hours.

2. Provide in-service training to help administrators be better prepared to deal with security –related matters and 
serve as a wrap-around services team member to support student success. 

3. Work closely with the principal and staff of the school to foster a better understanding of the law enforcement 
function to maintain a secure learning environment. Proactively work with the school’s leadership team and 
collaborate with school’s administrative team on safety protocols and procedures.

4. Serve as a visible and active law enforcement officer on campus dealing with law-related areas such as drugs, 
traffic, trespassing, fighting, and thefts. Enforce campus rules and regulations.

5. Conduct routine patrols of assigned facilities to include buildings, parking lots and district owned, leased, or 
rented property; Operate district equipment to include alarm systems, surveillance equipment, and patrol units 
when necessary. 

6. Take law enforcement action to protect against unwanted intruders. Identify and prevent (through counseling and 
referral) delinquent behavior, including substance abuse. Make arrests only when necessary to protect students, 
staff and school property.

7. Work collaboratively with public safety agencies to serve as a liaison between school and community to deter 
criminal and delinquent behavior. 

8. Conduct courses and workshops for students, staff and parents to promote social awareness, relationship skills, 
self-management, self-awareness and responsible decision making. 

9. Coordinate security for crowd

and vehicle control at extra-curricular activities and special events. Monitor and 
instruct students, visitors, and district personnel on proper and lawful campus or facility behavior. Help to define 
and maintain a respectful code of conduct.

10. Assist other law enforcement agencies with incidents involving local criminal activity that may impact the safety of 
the environment for students and staff. Serve as the initial first responder and school safety coordinator for 
campus emergencies. 

11. Respond to calls on crimes against person or property in progress, report crimes that have already occurred, and 
intrusion/fire alarms; perform preliminary investigation at the scene (e.g. gather and preserve evidence, take 
statements). Prepare written reports, maintain daily logs, and obtain and serve arrest and search warrants as 
necessary; testify in court as required.

12. Subdue offenders and criminals by using the minimum amount of force needed to protect the officer and other 
persons.

13. Provide classroom presentations on crime prevention and fundamental concepts and structure of the law. Teach
law related education, de-escalation techniques, and conflict resolution to students and staff.

14. Provide instructions and directions to others as it pertains to law enforcement matters and emergency situations. 

15. Conduct security building assessments for schools; guard, check and secure doors, rooms, buildings and 
equipment. 

16. Operate a two-way radio and qualify with a department issued firearm.

17. Provide executive protection; provide transportation to and from pre-designated places for Board Members and 
District Administrators.

18. Perform other duties as assigned by appropriate supervisory personnel and school administrators.

PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ADA REQUIREMENTS

Ability to walk, run, climb crawl or sit for extended periods of time. Work in inclement weather. Overtime work 
including evenings, weekends and athletic events as assigned by the Chief to provide maximum security coverage is 
required. Incumbent may spend extended periods of time patrolling and investigating crimes on District property, both 
in automobiles and on foot. Incumbent may be required to physically restrain parties involved in a conflict. In extreme 
cases, incumbent may be exposed to violent and/or armed confrontations. Physical fitness tests are required yearly. This 
position may involve routine exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.

Seems like Parkland Guy missed quite a bit. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

In today's world, law enforcement agencies need to re-think who they make the SRO of the schools.

In too many places Sro was and still is a “put the weakest person there” job. People that suck at their job, can’t get along with colleagues, are close to retirement, etc. 

i think the entire department should be investigated for how this guy wound up on this post. I’m willing to bet you’ll find evidence of the above. Those decision makers should be held accountable too. 

• Sad 1