Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

What's the point of gun control thread? Gun owners "love" their guns and don't care how many mass shootings occur, so long as they can have their life, liberty, and happiness of being a gun owner. It's always going to be some "other, irresponsible, crazy gun owner" who goes on the rampage. Why should they be punished?

So this made me laugh.  I went to Trump's twitter to see if he posted about the mass shooting (which of course he didn't) and saw his banner pic which I hadn't seen before.

1500x500

I immediately noticed how white it was then I started playing "spot the black person" and eventually I found him.  It was like a game of Where's Waldo, and then when you find him, it's like Trump tried to hide him.

Not really funny, but it made me chuckle.

3 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I also wanted to add some additional thought here. Workplace violence is older than the "mass shooting" and "domestic terrorism" craze that has become main stream constant news fodder over the past decade +.

Do you think it’s just random chance that it has become constant news fodder? Or perhaps it’s because there is nothing like a little gun violence to get eyes glued to the screen?

The main difference - the constant news coverage. I'm going to see if I can dig up some metrics to compare the occurance rate.

The media covers what we want to see.  

@TheGreatBuzz

Two, there are plenty of things that Americans obviously don't "love" yet lack the motivation to really drive change. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-do-we-watch-pimple-popping-videos-turns-out-your-brain-really-enjoys-them-3266028

No one loves heroin but, then again, a lot of people love heroin.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I immediately noticed how white it was then I started playing "spot the black person" and eventually I found him.  It was like a game of Where's Waldo, and then when you find him, it's like Trump tried to hide him.

Dude probably tried to hide himself. I would have ducked a little lower.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just my $.02

This discussion is dumb.  Americans don't "love" this.  One, polls show most people support some level of increased gun control.  Now what level varies greatly.  But I think most everyone would agree that we'd rather not have these things happen.  Two, there are plenty of things that Americans obviously don't "love" yet lack the motivation to really drive change.  This falls squarely in that category.  And like most other things, it's not that Americans don't want change.  The issue is corporate interests take precedence over the people's desires in this country.  Anyone who agrees Americans "love" this, I'd argue they must also love the current state of politics.  Or corporations having more say over what happens in our country than the electorate.  After all, don't see a whole lot being done about it either.  So you can argue (correctly I'd say) that Americans lack the motivation to do anything substantive about this.  But to say we love this, that's just ****ing stupid.  So if you think that Americans love it, go hug your NRA card.  Since almost everyone here is an American, you must also love it.

Back to the topic of this shooting, I'm tired of hearing the talking heads point out that Virginia is an open-carry state like that makes a difference.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone open carry around here.  And when it does happen, there is usually a cop or security guard in close proximity.  Now there can (and should) be a debate about what led to this and ways it could have been avoided.  But VA being an open carry state played zero role in this.

Lastly, I'm really surprised we don't see more of this happening on military bases.  You want to talk about an over-stressed, disgruntled group, it's people in uniform.  And it isn't exactly difficult to get a gun on base.  There was a shooting on base here at NAS Oceana a few weeks ago but that turned out to just be a domestic dispute.  I thought we might see something after that like more random vehicle inspections or something to at least make it look like it might be difficult to get a gun on base but nope, nothing.

I’m a contractor for the Navy and can tell you that the vehicle searching can be very lax at times, NOB will inspect your work vehicle before it comes on one of the piers but that’s about it. A girl I went to high school with lost her Aunt to this, pretty wild 

35 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What's the point of gun control thread? Gun owners "love" their guns and don't care how many mass shootings occur, so long as they can have their life, liberty, and happiness of being a gun owner. It's always going to be some "other, irresponsible, crazy gun owner" who goes on the rampage. Why should they be punished?

To keep that debate out of this thread and keep those interested advised on any current changes in the laws or proposed laws, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i don't discuss gun control because it's a debate that is over. There are none, won't be any and a war will be fought before any meaningful measures could ever be enacted.  There's no point discussing it.

it's a battle lost. 

there are now too many guns in circulation to make a difference. As usual we do not look to the root of problems, we allow fearmongering to dictate terms that serve the fear and nothing else. This by and large is how we are now governed entirely.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, max21 said:

I’m a contractor for the Navy and can tell you that the vehicle searching can be very lax at times, NOB will inspect your work vehicle before it comes on one of the piers but that’s about it. A girl I went to high school with lost her Aunt to this, pretty wild 

Im been active duty for 17+ years and can count on one hand the number of times i have had an inspection coming on base.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

CC is right.  The only thing she is guilty of Is lack of tact or “saying the quiet part loud”, so to speak.  Because, as hard as may be for sane people to believe, the NRA/gun market/far-right does in fact “love it”.  Mass shootings are great for business and this instance will simply be piled onto the “only more guns could have prevented this” narrative.

This is a feedback loop and it will never stop because Americans are too stupid and cowardly to make a change and have been taught their whole lives that a gun can make them a superhero.  And they believe that with all their heart...over and above any fact of science or tenet of any religion.  The gun is their law and their lord.

Yup. NRA leadership absolutely loves this **** (as long as they're not directly impacted by it). It brings them more cash, more attention, and more **** to rile up their base of True Believers. "THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS NOW! FOR REAL FOR REAL THIS TIME! SEND US MONEY AND VOTE FOR REPUBLICANS OR YOU'LL END UP IN LIBERAL CONCENTRATION CAMPS!!!".

In reality I don't think many, if any, of the NRA top leadership actually give two ****s about gun rights for the most part. They're not advocates for a cause, they're more or less nihilists who's only cause is money and power. Just remember the recent news reports about Wayne LaPierre and his ostentatious lifestyle and expenses that he pays for with NRA money. Gotta love some dude who claims to speak for "elite-hating Joe 6 pack gun lover" spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for suits at Hollywood boutiques. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Actually evidence shows the majority of gun owners actually DO want reform and change. Plus the stricter gun control I want wouldn't punish me at all - because I am a responsible and upstanding citizen and gun owner. Now if I started beating on @TheGreatBuzz or writing manifestos about harming others.....I should lose that right. Immediately. 

And private sales should be just as strict as pro.

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Do you think it’s just random chance that it has become constant news fodder? Or perhaps it’s because there is nothing like a little gun violence to get eyes glued to the screen?

The media covers what we want to see.  

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-do-we-watch-pimple-popping-videos-turns-out-your-brain-really-enjoys-them-3266028

No one loves heroin but, then again, a lot of people love heroin.

I've stopped watching news. Was 100% on almost 24/7 in my house. Now, unless it's a political debate that I need to watch to be informed, or weather events....never on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just my $.02

This discussion is dumb.  Americans don't "love" this.  One, polls show most people support some level of increased gun control.  Now what level varies greatly.  But I think most everyone would agree that we'd rather not have these things happen.  Two, there are plenty of things that Americans obviously don't "love" yet lack the motivation to really drive change.  This falls squarely in that category.  And like most other things, it's not that Americans don't want change.  The issue is corporate interests take precedence over the people's desires in this country.  Anyone who agrees Americans "love" this, I'd argue they must also love the current state of politics.  Or corporations having more say over what happens in our country than the electorate.  After all, don't see a whole lot being done about it either.  So you can argue (correctly I'd say) that Americans lack the motivation to do anything substantive about this.  But to say we love this, that's just ****ing stupid.  So if you think that Americans love it, go hug your NRA card.  Since almost everyone here is an American, you must also love it.

I always blame the people, not the corporate interests.  We allow it to happen.  We keep electing people who let the gun lobby run over them, we get what we get.  

Americans have more power than the corporate interests, they just choose not to exercise it.

The people's desires are hot air.  They're empty.  The polls can say what they want to say, the proof is in the pudding.  Americans need to look square in the mirror, period.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I've stopped watching news. Was 100% on almost 24/7 in my house. Now, unless it's a political debate that I need to watch to be informed, or weather events....never on.

Whether you personally watch the news is irrelevant to the conversation we are having.

I wasn’t indicting you on a personal level. Americans have a problem.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

i don't discuss gun control because it's a debate that is over. There are none, won't be any and a war will be fought before any meaningful measures could ever be enacted.  There's no point discussing it.

it's a battle lost. 

there are now too many guns in circulation to make a difference. As usual we do not look to the root of problems, we allow fearmongering to dictate terms that serve the fear and nothing else. This by and large is how we are now governed entirely.

~Bang

Nah man keep up the fight.

Hopefully some type of balance can be struck.  Personally I think there isn't a need for semi-auto rifles.  Or reallly semi-autos in general, though perhaps I would allow revolvers. 

If they use a grandfather clause, like they did with full autos, they don't have to confiscate weapons from any existing owners, and therefore no reason to fight a war. 

The Las Vegas shooter probably gets a body count into the hundreds if he had been able to get his hands on something like an M249.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Nah man keep up the fight.

Hopefully some type of balance can be struck.  Personally I think there isn't a need for semi-auto rifles.  Or reallly semi-autos in general, though perhaps I would allow revolvers. 

If they use a grandfather clause, like they did with full autos, they don't have to confiscate weapons from any existing owners, and therefore no reason to fight a war. 

The Las Vegas shooter probably gets a body count into the hundreds if he had been able to get his hands on something like an M249.

i hear you, and hope always exists.

But i am a realist, and realistically speaking the ****ing lunatics run the asylum.

Zero hyperbole intended.

the NRA has strangled common sense with fear. their toads in congress have spread the fear happily while cashing the fat checks that keep them complicit.

Every shooting rings the cash register. So much money and power and now corruption from other nations who have been trying to destroy us since they could find us on a ****ing map means we will not get anywhere. Thy don't even have to make SENSE anymore and te polarized lunkheads will repeat it.

Very serious national mental health problem.

answer: more guns.

restrictions against mental health problems.. LIFTED.

THIS is what they consider SENSIBLE.

There is no language on earth in which this is not utter insanity.

and yet here they are, saying it every ****ing day.

It's over.

I mean unless we take up arms to take down the corruption and destroy those destroying us... which is sort of counter productive to the whole idea of gun control. But again,, realist. i am figuring armed conflict in the US has a better than even chance of happening anyway.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Stop voting republican if you want gun reform.  That’s the lest you can do.

I have. Unfortunately I’ve had to go 3rd party as no Dem recently seems to have sensible policy in mind either. 

37 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Whether you personally watch the news is irrelevant to the conversation we are having.

I wasn’t indicting you on a personal level. Americans have a problem.

???? When you imply all, and I rebut, you can’t say I don’t then count. I’m an American, and I know many friends of mine that have also cut the cable news cord.

both sides need to stop saying “anecdotal” evidence doesn’t matter when it doesn’t support your cause. 

Both sides need need to come to the table to compromise. Outlandish and name calling gets this no where. 

23 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I have. Unfortunately I’ve had to go 3rd party as no Dem recently seems to have sensible policy in mind either. 

I agree. I’m really with them on gun control, the environment (for the most part), but not on immigration or social welfare.

???? When you imply all, and I rebut, you can’t say I don’t then count.

Saying “I don’t watch the news” is not a rebuke to the statement “Americans are entertained by gun violence” In my opinion.

both sides need to stop saying “anecdotal” evidence doesn’t matter when it doesn’t support your cause. 

Your person experience is not anecdotal evidence of America as a whole. It’s just your experience. Americans watch, read, tweet and retweet, and comment on a lot of news.  And it’s not that the news is the problem. The news only shows what we want to see. 

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2016/08/media-contagion

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

45 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So apparently he wasn’t fired according the Wapo.  He submitted a resignation letter Friday morning.  He was an engineer in good standing and had no pending complaints.

Bought to come full circle in this thread with another shooter having little to no motive.  This one isn't a gun control issue, it's a physical security one.  That same Wapo article said even when the cops were in the same building as the shooter they didn't know where he was.  What kinda lock down procedure allows the shooter to go from room to room like that?

45 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So apparently he wasn’t fired according the Wapo.  He submitted a resignation letter Friday morning.  He was an engineer in good standing and had no pending complaints.

Even colder is that (according to another article) one co-worker said he talked to the shooter (pre-massacre) in the bathroom (the shooter was brushing his teeth) and the shooter said have a nice weekend to him. 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Bought to come full circle in this thread with another shooter having little to no motive.  This one isn't a gun control issue, it's a physical security one.  That same Wapo article said even when the cops were in the same building as the shooter they didn't know where he was.  What kinda lock down procedure allows the shooter to go from room to room like that?

Probably because that didn't expect an active shooter. I've worked in the public sector for almost 20 years and never had that training.

Something that also probably hindered their ability to locate him was his legal use of a suppressor.