Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

I think there should be a law where if you own a gun you have to have insurance for any damages that gun may cause, similar to car insurance laws.   It irks me that the rest of the society is left footing the bill for the fallout of what amounts to a hobby for one segment of society   Another idea might be a special tax on guns, with the funds being used to payout damages.   Actually I think there already is one, but it isn't nearly enough from what I've read.

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I think there should be a law where if you own a gun you have to have insurance for any damages that gun may cause, similar to car insurance laws.   It irks me that the rest of the society is left footing the bill for the fallout of what amounts to a hobby for one segment of society   Another idea might be a special tax on guns, with the funds being used to payout damages.   Actually I think there already is one, but it isn't nearly enough from what I've read.

Well to many people it is more than just a hobby.  Some even believe it is a constitutional right.  Can we tax other rights?  Perhaps bring back a poll tax?

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I would be shocked if there were gun taxes, at all,  at anything other than the local level. 

I could be wrong but I believe there is just sales tax, in addition to the price of the background check/transfer fee if required. 

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Voting to guns, hmm. Yeah, that’s an apple to apple comparison.

I was just wondering which rights I had to pay for.

39 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s totally a hobby.

Unless you’re in a well-regulated militia.

We can argue about comma placement and meaning if you would like.  Or you could just concede that it is more than a hobby to some.  You know me well enough to know I have said I would support some increased gun control so I'm not just some nut.  But saying it is just a hobby is plain false.

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was just wondering which rights I had to pay for.

We can argue about comma placement and meaning if you would like.  Or you could just concede that it is more than a hobby to some.  You know me well enough to know I have said I would support some increased gun control so I'm not just some nut.  But saying it is just a hobby is plain false.

True, there are the ones who think it's their penis. ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/3/2018 at 6:54 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well to many people it is more than just a hobby.  Some even believe it is a constitutional right.  Can we tax other rights?  Perhaps bring back a poll tax?

I could be wrong but I believe there is just sales tax, in addition to the price of the background check/transfer fee if required. 

Maybe a marriage or child tax? Instead of a tax credit, you pay more for each kid. Sounds ridiculous because it is.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:26 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Or you could just concede that it is more than a hobby to some.

Prefacing this question by saying that I could agree with the statement but wondering if you could expand on that a little. What does "more than a hobby" mean? A way of life? A constitutional right? A means to protect oneself?

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Prefacing this question by saying that I could agree with the statement but wondering if you could expand on that a little. What does "more than a hobby" mean? A way of life? A constitutional right? A means to protect oneself?

I dont know if I would go so far as a way of life except for the very rural or people whose life revolves around guns (gun shop owner or gun Smith for example).  The last two, yes.

I just thought calling it a hobby doesn't respect the way  many people view their gun rights.  The level of importance rises above just the hobby level.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So has anyone done a study on the lack of shootings at private schools in comparison to public? And possible reasons if there seems to be a big enough difference percentage wise?

far fewer private(both schools and #of students)

also problem students are addressed better

• Like 1

Mass shooting at a Madden tournament in Florida  :(

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

A shooting occurred during the Madden 19 Tournament at the GLHF Game Bar in Jacksonville, Florida, according to CompLexity Gaming, one of the event organizers, Twitter page.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Department called it a "mass shooting" in a tweet—"Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area. The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY #TheLandingMassShooting"

"There appears to have been a shooting at the event, and @YoungDrini was grazed in the hand. He is away from the scene and safe. We will update as more information becomes available," according to the CompLexity tweet.

Edited by spjunkies