Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/02/police-shut-down-part-of-las-vegas-strip-due-to-shooting/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_las-vegas-230am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.759904cc2475

A gunman in a high-rise hotel opened fire on concertgoers at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip late Sunday, killing at least 50 people and injuring more than 200 in one of the worst mass shootings in modern U.S. history.

The gunman, identified as Stephen Paddock, was later killed during a standoff with police, Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters. NBC and others reported that Paddock was 64...

When are we going to get sick enough of seeing this to do anything to decrease the occurrences? Sad. 

Edited by Destino
Edited title to match content.
  • Thanks 2

Thank god they didn't have any VIP tickets left because I had general admission tickets in my cart and changed my mind because I don't like general admission. 

So unbelievably sad how common this has become. 

Edited by redskinss

48 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

When are we going to get sick enough of seeing this to do anything to decrease the occurrences? Sad. 

As has been said many times, when a school full of children getting killed didnt do anything, the answer to your question is probably never.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

43 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There's only one thing to do now... nothing.

My frustration wants to boil over. I just know that instead of mourning the dead, many are waiting to see how they can swing this.  But for now, let us take a moment to remember the dead by updating our Facebook profile photo with the latest “I heart Vegas“ filter, and then write a post that has an adequate amount of respect for the dead  with a measured amount of passive aggressive politicization.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

Damn............

It boggles the mind, not just another/again but taking it up a notch w/ a SAW (?)

I tell ya this, my ole white ass woulda been haulin it the **** outta there a lot faster than some of those people, and wtf? was with the guy sayin it's just fireworks and the girl on the corner too busy on her phone? Me? I'll feel sheepish later if I'm spooked by fireworks- which that clearly wasn't- but I'm getting out first.

46 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There's only one thing to do now... nothing.

Or pray. Same difference. 

4 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Damn............

It boggles the mind, not just another/again but taking it up a notch w/ a SAW (?)

That's actually legal for purchase by the public? Seriously? Well, as the saying goes, the tree of freedom has to be watered periodically. Who knew it would be with the blood of innocent people though?

What we should say and what we should do?

Sadly, the chances that we do anything are slim. Nothing to advance treatment of those with mental illness. Nothing to prevent gun violence. Maybe we'll make the gun laws even looser. That seems to be the only thing that ever gets done after these events.

Believe it or not, it is easier to buy these sorts of weapons since Newton than before thanks to activist judges and right leaning state legislatures.

• Sad 1

The real sad thing is it's honestly no longer a surprise and more so an expected occurrence for the next horrific and senseless loss of life when it comes to you guys and your seriously messed up state by state legislation on gun laws that will sadly NEVER change. 

God rest the victims needlessly taken. God bless the family's they leave behind to look over them at this horrific time. Godspeed to the injured survivors. 

God help America. 

Hail. 

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Or pray. Same difference. 

That's actually legal for purchase by the public? Seriously? Well, as the saying goes, the tree of freedom has to be watered periodically. Who knew it would be with the blood of innocent people though?

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Of course you can legally own a machine gun there. 

Of course. 

I just woke up amd saw the video.  Definetly sounded like a fully automatic rifle.  If so, they are illegal with a whole crap load of paperwork from the ATF.  It is possible to illegally modify a normal rifle to fire like that.  I would bet that is what happened.

I would ask that we keep this thread about Vegas.  If you want to talk about gun laws or the lack thereof, we have another thread for that.

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why?  Seems pretty clear cut regarding the proper thread for the proper topic.  We have a thread for gun laws.

It's impossible to disentangle gun crime from gun laws.  The two are related.  The weapon used, how it was obtained, and related laws are going to end up being a major part of this story.  As is the question "how could this be prevented" which is sure to include government. 

I do ask that comments of that kind be linked to this event specifically, at least in the short term.  This thread is not a place to discuss general gun violence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why?  Seems pretty clear cut regarding the proper thread for the proper topic.  We have a thread for gun laws.

Because it is impossible to separate a mass shooting from what actions should be taken in response to that mass shooting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2