Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

38 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

@CousinsCowgirl84 Statistics are just numbers w/o context.  You failed to mention systemic racism. 

Failed to or chose not to? Bringing that stat up, especially when it doesn't really fit the context of the conversation, is a white nationalist go-to in many other corners of the internet. Its hard to fight/argue without the use of facts. And these people often dont want to use facts and wont agree on them regardless of how you present them. Pointless battle, this one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Failed to or chose not to? Bringing that stat up, especially when it doesn't really fit the context of the conversation, is a white nationalist go-to in many other corners of the internet. Its hard to fight/argue without the use of facts. And these people often dont want to use facts and wont agree on them regardless of how you present them. Pointless battle, this one. 

What she said is cousin of the “what about the gun violence in Chicago?” dog whistle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

@CousinsCowgirl84 Statistics are just numbers w/o context.  You failed to mention systemic racism. 

What does that have to do with gun control?

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Youre being rediculous. It’s pretty obvious ending racism won’t scratch a dent in gun violence. White people are killing plenty of white people... which is what that graphic also shows.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

3 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Because they generally have different causes, involve different people, and as such likely have different effects and stopping them will require different solutions.

There is one solution that would solve both situations. But I guess you are right.

The mass shooting problem is incredibly small compared the problem of gun violence in general.

36 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Pulled from Breitbart's "Black Crime" section, no doubt. 

It says Wall Street journal right on the graphic.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

There is this phenomenon with these incidents where initial reports mention more than one suspect.  This is happening with the Gilroy shooting.  It occured in the Sandy Hook shooting and, if I recall correctly, the shooting at the DC Navy Yard.  In just about all of the cases, though, that proves to not be the case.  I wonder what causes that so often? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

There is this phenomenon with these incidents where initial reports mention more than one suspect.  This is happening with the Gilroy shooting.  It occured in the Sandy Hook shooting and, if I recall correctly, the shooting at the DC Navy Yard.  In just about all of the cases, though, that proves to not be the case.  I wonder what causes that so often? 

Probably because people freakout from the initial panic. I remember them doing a mass shooting drill at my old job and the scenario was so freaky I couldn't think straight eventhough I knew it was going to happen, I can't imagine what people are experiencing during the actual tragedy. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Probably because people freakout from the initial panic. I remember them doing a mass shooting drill at my old job and the scenario was so freaky I couldn't think straight eventhough I knew it was going to happen, I can't imagine what people are experiencing during the actual tragedy. 

I'm sure that's part of it.  Nobody in that situation is taking in sensory information in a calm, analytical manner.  To say the least.  

I wonder if people misinterpret gunshot echoes as a second source of gunfire.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Plus people giving different descriptions of same person. Police being cautious.

off the top of my head the Boston marathon and the San Bernardino shooting involved 2 people but the rest just one. I may be fudging that a big...

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Plus people giving different descriptions of same person. Police being cautious.

off the top of my head the Boston marathon and the San Bernardino shooting involved 2 people but the rest just one. I may be fudging that a big...

I think ones that have multiple people tend to be more planned and often involve bombs of some sort as well.  Remember Columbine.  There's also been a bunch of mass shootings and bombing involving multiple people that were found out ahead of time and stopped.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You're being ridiculous. It’s pretty obvious ending racism won’t scratch a dent in gun violence. White people are killing plenty of white people... which is what that graphic also shows.

I dont know what you are talking about. All I said was that white nationalists often use that data as an argument, which is true. And even though I was comparing your argument to a white nationalists, I wasn't trying to call you one. You may see that as unfair or unrelated to the topic, but bringing up the fact that balck people kill more black people than white people do according to your statistics that dont take into account everything that can skew that data (easy example being white people literally getting away with crimes because they are white, or blacks getting set up by the police themselves) doesn't have anything to do with the topic or what you quoted for that matter. 

I understand the graphic and that white people kill white people. Generally speaking, people kill the ones closest to them. Thats what the stats say, to me. Like I have said, I have argued those stats and all the "facts" that they really show many, many times with white nationalists on other websites. I didn't mean to insinuate you where one. 

10 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I remember reading that people do this all the time. 

33 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I just ignore whenever an initial report mentions a second shooter.

HANDBOOK.JPGhttps://www.wnycstudios.org/story/breakingnews-consumers-handbook

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t see the point in separating mass shootings for shootings, at the end of the day dead is dead.

I hope you're not in law enforcement, because if you are so simple that you cannot figure out that a drug related murder, a trailer park domestic murder, and a MASS ****ing SHOOTING are different crimes that have to be dealt with and prevented in different ways then just give up now.

3 hours ago, China said:

And the beat goes on...

Didn't even get a full page in with the Garlic Fest shooting before the next one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What does that have to do with gun control?

Youre being rediculous. It’s pretty obvious ending racism won’t scratch a dent in gun violence. White people are killing plenty of white people... which is what that graphic also shows.

Let's see...you were quick to pull the "blacks kill more blacks" card while completely misunderstanding @AsburySkinsFan's point.  You not understanding the context behind the statistics is something you should probably do a little more research in.  It's a different topic for another day, so I'm not going to derail the thread.  However, it would serve you well if you read up a little on systemic racism and why it's such a problem in many urban communities. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I just ignore whenever an initial report mentions a second shooter.

HANDBOOK.JPGhttps://www.wnycstudios.org/story/breakingnews-consumers-handbook

I think the media is in a very difficult predicament here.  If they don't report facts until they get 100% confirmation, they're doing a disservice to the affected community (e.g.: imagine if there was actually a 2nd gunman running around the nearby neighborhood and you're a local trying to decide whether you can continue with your life.) On the flip side, if they do report it, then that has its own set of consequences.

The 'according to reports,' disclaimers are more than just ways to cover for themselves if they get it wrong.  They're being very open about how confident they are about the information, and letting you as a viewer decide. For most of us sitting at home, its a meaningless difference, but if I'm directly affected by the situation, then I want all the relevant information possible, even though some of it will be false. 

And yeah, to your point, I pretty much always ignore the 'second shooter,' reports, as they're basically always untrue. (Honestly I can't remember a single occasion where there was a 2nd shooter).

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Let's see...you were quick to pull the "blacks kill more blacks" card while completely misunderstanding @AsburySkinsFan's point.  You not understanding the context behind the statistics is something you should probably do a little more research in.  It's a different topic for another day, so I'm not going to derail the thread.  However, it would serve you well if you read up a little on systemic racism and why it's such a problem in many urban communities. 

White people by in large do not believe in systemic racism. They cannot fathom that the social structures in which they live and thrive might not treat all people equitably regardless of race. It also means that they shoulder some of the responsibility, and they aren't racists....they have a black friend....he came over once.

5 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

And yeah, to your point, I pretty much always ignore the 'second shooter,' reports, as they're basically always untrue. (Honestly I can't remember a single occasion where there was a 2nd shooter).

Columbine

But that was a game changer and really hasn't been repeated since. Especially since it's so much easier and as effective to just get an AR with 30 round mags and a bunch of ammo to do as much or more damage than Dylan and Eric did. And you're not breaking the law until you start firing. Heck, if we listen to the Right you won't even be breaking the law by carrying all of that onto school grounds.

****ing bunch of morons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

News outlets trying to get ahead of themselves instead of only reporting verified info.  I kinda dont want to react until I get the motive anymore, by then a lot of what actually happened has settled

I think the second shooter stories all have a number of common root causes:

1) It's a chaotic environment, so people aren't processing things as efficiently

2) Loud onetime bangs are actually tough to "locate" so you visually see people running in all directions depending on where they think the sound came from

3) The sound from loud bangs also gets reflected very coherently, so you might actually hear it come from a different place; this is less true outdoors

4) Bullets ricochet, so you might actually see someone get hit and fall from the exact opposite direction from where they were originally shot from

5) As @twa pointed out, there might be plainclothes officers or security involved

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrilbo67 said:

You've forgotten Columbine already, huh?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, China said:

You've forgotten Columbine already, huh?

I thought about including that, but that was so long ago that by the time it hit the news they already knew it was two shooters.  I was thinking most of examples where initial reports of a 2nd shoot came through mass media and then turned out to be true.

1 hour ago, wrilbo67 said:

I thought about including that, but that was so long ago that by the time it hit the news they already knew it was two shooters.  I was thinking most of examples where initial reports of a 2nd shoot came through mass media and then turned out to be true.

Fews months ago in Colorado 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/least-2-people-injured-colorado-stem-school-after-shooting-reported-n1003001

• Thanks 1