Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

He's sticking his finger where?????

My Boxer/lab mix Dexter had a seizure yesterday. He's 5 and it has never happened before. Hopefully just a freak occurrence. Afterwards he was back to normal, and running around the backyard. Took a video. Note the snake fencing, since that was a topic of interest earlier.

Running Down a Dream https://imgur.com/gallery/Axw2KIk

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 11/15/2020 at 3:50 PM, visionary said:

"A dog head on his shoulder!?!?"

On 11/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, Riggo-toni said:

My Boxer/lab mix Dexter had a seizure yesterday. He's 5 and it has never happened before. Hopefully just a freak occurrence. Afterwards he was back to normal, and running around the backyard. Took a video. Note the snake fencing, since that was a topic of interest earlier.

Levetiracetam has worked wonders for seizure dogs, from what I've witnessed.  Need a 'script tho.  Good luck man.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Dogs may never learn that every sound of a word matters

Despite their excellent auditory capacities, dogs do not attend to differences between words that differ only in one phoneme (e.g., "dog" vs "dig"), according to a new study by Hungarian researchers of the Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest (ELTE). In the study, they measured brain activity with non-invasive electroencephalography (EEG) on conscious dogs. This might be a reason why the number of words dogs learn to recognize typically remains low throughout their life. The study is published in Royal Society Open Science.

Dogs can distinguish human speech sounds (e.g. "d," "o" and "g") and there are similarities in the neuronal processing of words between dogs and humans. However, most of the dogs can learn only a few words throughout their lives even if they live in a human family and are exposed to human speech. Magyari and her colleagues hypothesized that despite dogs' human-like auditory capacities for analyzing speech sounds, they might be less ready to attend to all differences between speech sounds when they listen to words.

To test this idea, the researchers developed a procedure for measuring electrical activity in the brain noninvasively on conscious, untrained family dogs. Electroencephalography (EEG) is a common procedure in human clinical and research studies and it has been also successfully applied on tranquilized, sleeping or conscious but trained dogs. However, in this study, the researchers measured EEG on conscious dogs without any specific training.

dogsmaynever.jpg

The analysis of the recorded electric brain activity showed that dog brains clearly and quickly discriminated the known words from the very different nonsense words starting from 200 ms after the beginning of the words. This effect is in line with similar studies on humans showing that the human brain responds differently to meaningful and nonsense words already within a few hundred milliseconds.

But the dogs' brains made no differentiation between known words and those nonsense words that differed in a single speech sound only. This pattern is more similar to the results of experiments with human infants who are around 14 months. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Yeah, I have a co-worker whose dog is on seizure meds and it seems to be working wonders. I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

One of our dogs has had a couple of incidents in the past six months that cause him to shake a little and lack ability to move well. It passes after a few minutes. Our vet did not want to prescribe anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My only pet throughout my entire life until last summer was a goldfish.  I never really understood the human connection with pets.  I recall one of my best employees calling out of work because his dog died and didn’t even provide me with a date he thought he would be back.  I was dumbfounded.

That said, this little girl has stolen my heart and I’m now an overprotective dog parent that can’t fathom my world without her.

Piper - English/old English bulldog.  Brought her home at 8 weeks old.

58B55C99-354F-477B-BDA4-308CE4316C8C.jpeg

FD4B2EBA-9F4F-41C0-B37F-5F24EBD8A798.jpeg

7FBBFE5C-C614-4725-AC4F-DF943C70CDB2.jpeg

804DBAEE-36A3-4223-8B7A-2FDFC0FB633B.jpeg

ED061824-8A2C-42C1-A98A-658597809C23.jpeg

39D326BC-B83E-49AE-A25F-043BE0C781F2.jpeg

25000055-53A0-4B63-89C0-6452D6E2D992.jpeg

F5378B6B-0822-4656-8CF4-798785DF36CB.jpeg

7D39A466-BDE0-4EF1-A67A-FF216B6EA840.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1