Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Well I'm finishing up my first shift at the new hospital. Already some drama. Dog got its leg wrap off and it's stapled incision came apart.

Doctor is a hard-ass and he expects you to learn quickly. He told me how he wanted it wrapped over the phone. I had trouble finding the supplies.  Here goes nothing. Then back to the main hospital where I have 23 animals waiting for me.

IMG_20191013_095044.thumb.jpg.2318057cde8c14e348bbdaa61851e619.jpg

Updated wrap:

IMG_20191013_112109.thumb.jpg.6aac33f15655bd7a526e60d8fd75c39f.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 4

Bear The Therapy Cat Forced To Retire After 7 Years Of Bringing Chemo Patients Comfort

I happened upon a story out of Colorado about a very special cat. For one, the story is thoughtfully written by a reporter with the local Steamboat Pilot. Within the first few sentences, Kari Dequine Harden had already brought tears to my eyes. Now, maybe that personally hit me because I’m about to watch my father start chemotherapy for recently diagnosed Lymphoma. But truly, anyone with a heart and an ounce of compassion likely felt just as I did. I can only hope that my father can find the inspiration from another’s open heart, like these patients did. And they did that so well, with the help of one loving cat named Bear.

bear.jpg

Bear has been a part of the Heeling Friends program for the last 7 years. 

I get the happy, goosebump chills thinking of all the good a solo small cat did over that time. And that’s exactly what Kari’s story was obviously meant to do. Here are the first 3 sentences; you’ll see what I mean.

Over the course of seven years, Bear the cat spent nearly 200 hours in the [UCHealth Yampa Valley Medical Center] hospital, bringing comfort to anyone and everyone in need. 

He curled up on the laps of chemo patients during hours-long treatment, sat next to patients suffering traumatic injuries in the emergency room and consoled children in lobbies waiting for their mothers to come out of surgery.

There were some patients with whom Bear spent many an hour who made full recoveries and others who lost their battle with a devastating illness.

So when they learned of the therapy animal program, they knew Bear would make a great addition to the team.

It had begun when she took Bear to visit her adopted mother who was sick. 

Bear immediately curled up with her in the bed. It was clear Bear knew she was ill and needed comfort.

Primarily for dogs though, Bear had to undergo intense testing before he could be certified. And he is only 1 of 4 cats to have gone through the process! 

[It began] with the composed cat sitting amid a group of hyperactive terriers and goofy Golden Retrievers.

Bear passed every test with flying colors. He was truly unflappable, cool under pressure, always easy going, friendly and amendable. And that was exactly what he needed to be to be one of only four human-pet teams allowed in the emergency room.

Bear and Theadore sat with people after snowmobile and car accidents, including one badly injured and severely depressed young woman who later wrote a thank you letter saying she didn’t know if she would have gotten through it without Bear.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vanessa is missing her left front leg.

IMG_20191019_172513.thumb.jpg.dedeb1b3e9e0bda93a97bbb16e15d76b.jpg

She's a darling.  1 of 41 animals I have here at the main hospital. Not used to this "fall break" s***.  Everybody is taking fall vacations.  5 at the other hospital.  I have 46 pets!

12 hours ago, China said:

R8OsUTG.jpg

This should be the current Redskins logo.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Currently throwing a picnic for three Chihuahuas and a Maltese.

IMG_20191013_131354.thumb.jpg.e97e294efea288af3dcb4bc71242c268.jpg

19 at the main hospital, 5 at the rival hospital.

It almost feels like I'm playing for the Redskins AND the pukes.

Nobody has found out yet at the main hospital.

The reason this isn't dirty is because these are my good friends.  I told them I have their backs and will be there for them. 

• Like 4

Man, I'm pushing it with the times I arrive at each hospital on Sundays.  I crushed it work-wise, but if they catch on to the times I arrive I might be called-out.  I have an explanation but it's so nuanced that I would have to go into a long deliberation about it.  I know all these f***ing animals like the back of my hand.  They are fine.  I'm known for my trustworthiness, don't want to put that in jeopardy.  Getting the main hospital perfect on Saturdays takes a long time and I barely get any sleep for my 17 hour Sunday workday. I'm tired and try to get SOME sleep Sunday morning.  Out of 30 animals there were only three accidents. All pee.  The animals have a blast.  I'm such a ridiculous goof around them.  You're welcome for having no issues on Mondays everybody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Man, I'm pushing it with the times I arrive at each hospital on Sundays.  I crushed it work-wise, but if they catch on to the times I arrive I might be called-out.  I have an explanation but it's so nuanced that I would have to go into a long deliberation about it.  I know all these f***ing animals like the back of my hand.  They are fine.  I'm known for my trustworthiness, don't want to put that in jeopardy.  Getting the main hospital perfect on Saturdays takes a long time and I barely get any sleep for my 17 hour Sunday workday. I'm tired and try to get SOME sleep Sunday morning.  Out of 30 animals there were only three accidents. All pee.  The animals have a blast.  I'm such a ridiculous goof around them.  You're welcome for having no issues on Mondays everybody.

What is your job?

8 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What is your job?

I manage the Animal Caregiver department at 2 animal hospitals.  I'm by myself the majority of the time. When we are closed.

I let every dog out really late so I can buy myself some time to sleep in. They are still only holding it for 9 hours before I do it again Sunday morning. I just arrive at a late time. It's all relative.

WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO BELOW

Last year, one of my porch kitties (I call him Chuck, he doesn't live here full time like Ms. Kitty) got a big chunk taken out of his face & neck...he had healed up from it, fur was growing back. 

A couple days ago, I noticed that it's happened again, only worse. Whatever got him this time got a bigger chunk, and it's all the way to the throat. 

As you can see, it's clean and he moves around like normal, lets me pet him and kinda check it out. I keep telling him that he can stay here where he's safe, but he goes down the street storm drains sometimes. ☹ 

20191107_170439.jpg

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Sad 1