Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bailey to Detroit!!

Lavarleap56

Q: What is different in the defense from playing last season under Marvin Lewis and this season under George Edwards?

Champ Bailey: Not much. Not much. But this year I'm doing more covering a certain receiver than last year. I did it some last year but not as much as last year.

Champ Bailey: Going against Laveranues, it goes both ways. He's emerging to be one of the tops in the game and he's showing it every week. I told him if he can get through this year and next year doing what he's doing he gets my vote to be tops...He's one of a kind because he can be blazing down the field and just stop. that's hard. I've learned to deal with that. He reminds me of Marvin HArrison a little bit. They running fast and next thing you know they going to the right. That's why we should be paid more than them! That's hard!

Champ Bailey: I really can't comment on that because I don't remember anyone laughing or giggling to make it seem like they didn'tcare. In my opinion once I come off the field I feel like I left it on the line. But it's time to move on. Whatever it takes to move on.. I don't want to see people moping, but you don't want to see people laughing or giggling real loud. But it's OK to have fun.

Q: <Boss Bailey> Champ, we love your brother Boss here in Detroit and hope you will join him here next year..have you thought about wanting to play with your brother?

Champ Bailey: Oh, man, I've always loved playing with my brother. Ever since he's been playing we've played togeher on the same team. It would be nice

: Champ, I know that the contract that was offered to you had a bonus divided in a couple parts, if it were all up front would you have accepted?

Champ Bailey: I don't want to get into that. I can't say if I would have or wouldn't have. Obviously it wasn't the deal I wanted.

This season began with plenty of talk about how much money Champ Bailey should make. But with his contract negotiations with the Washington Redskins on hold after he rejected the nine-year, $55 million offer the team delivered in August

Cornerback Champ Bailey is poised to reject the Washington Redskins' opening contract offer, a nine-year proposal worth about $55 million, according to sources. Bailey apparently hopes the Redskins will increase their offer, but sources said yesterday that the team is seriously considering making its proposal a take-it-or-leave-it offer.

Redskins Offer Deal To Bailey

Team Proposal Includes $14.75 Million Bonus.......

The Washington Redskins have made a contract proposal to Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey that includes a signing bonus of about $14.75 million, sources familiar with the negotiations said yesterday. The deal would make Bailey the highest-paid cornerback and one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL.

a little of the stuff i can find so far i have to pay for archived articles from the post and redskins. com doesnt have anything.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Like a broken record:doh: .....

...you keep saying we can't give Champ what he wants. Then tell me, exactly how does Champ want? If you have a number you would be the first to know this because no one else does.

Ismail only beat Champ once late in the game, that one I forgot. But don't overexagerate, that only happened once. And as I recall, that was only deep pass or TD he gave up that whole season. Not exactly an indication that he isn't a top corner.

And by the way, every corner has that one reciever that gives them fits. Toomer is Champ's, it's no secret. Darrell Green used to get owned by Michael Irvin, still didn't make him any less a Hall of Fame caliber cornerback.

Yes on Champ's nemesis being Toomer. I don't remember Irvin as Green's nemesis; in fact, I can remember more than one occasion Irvin's line was on the order of "2 receptions, 8 yards". Were those the minority? I don't recall, but I remember a couple that were pretty much all in favor of Green. It's possible I am not remembering other games where he got torched, but I really don't remember any (and if there was one or two, I think they were the minority?).

I thought Jerry Rice was really Green's nemesis. It didn't matter what Green did, Rice would just catch the ball. When Green had good coverage, he got called for PI (wasn't always a good call though).

Champ Bailey By John Keim -- Posted Jul 28, 2003

Redskins corner Champ Bailey doesn't want to talk about his contract. But he knows it's a hard topic to avoid. All he knows is that he'll sign a big one next season. He just doesn't know where.

Bailey is an unrestricted free agent after the season, but little progress has been made on any new deal with Washington. Bailey would prefer something happen before the season. He knows he doesn't control that, however.

''As far as I'm concerned, it's out of my hands,'' said Bailey after the Redskins first practice this morning. ''I can be a prick and not come to camp and hold out. I came in here with class and I'm going to leave with class. Plain and simple. I don't want to talk about the contract now. I have one agenda and that's to be the best corner in the league and to win a championship with this team.''

Bailey has made the past four Pro Bowls and will command a hefty salary on the open market. The Redskins could place the franchise tag on him, but that often ends with bitter feelings by the player.

''I know what my contract says now and I know I'm underpaid,'' he said. ''You know I'm underpaid. Everyone knows I'm underpaid. But I signed for five years and I have to live to that and say that was my fault. I take all the pressure and put it on me. I don't care about the contract right now. Hopefully that's the last I'll hear about it.''

Bailey wouldn't say if he would negotiate during the season.

''I'm not going to say that I'm not going to,'' he said. ''I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not going to be the guy who steps forth and does something. I can be a businessman if I want to be and try and do that. But I'm out here to have fun and play football. I have enoughto support my family now. The big bucks are down the road. I know it"

By Warpath Staff -- Posted Aug 19, 2003

Count on this: Redskins corner Champ Bailey won't be re-signing any time soon, not unless Washington's offer increases significantly. And, his agent says, don't believe the numbers that have been made public.

''The information reported was grossly inaccurate,'' Bailey's agent Jack Reale said this afternoon.

The Washington Post reported that the Redskins had made Bailey an offer with a $14.75 million signing bonus. Which would be great except for this: the actual signing bonus is around $7 million and, another source said, the deal is backloaded.

Bailey has until Friday to mull over the first offer, but that will be rejected. Bailey is not commenting on the negotiations, but he did say today that he won't stop negotiations once the season starts. He wants to be one of the NFL's highest paid defensive players and average $7.5 million per season. That wouldn't come close to happening with the first offer.

Reale also said he's disappointed the figures were made public.

''Keeping it private would represent the least amount of distraction to the team, the player and the fans,'' Reale said. ''It seems that others felt the need to thrust this into the limelight.''

The Redskins have maintained all along that they plan to re-sign Bailey. But they also opened negotiations with tackle Jon Jansen and running back Stephen Davis in the same fashion, by making figures public that weren't fully accurate. They eventually got deals with both players, but they'd be wise to change their strategy with Bailey. We know this: the Redskins are gambling heavily if they don't.

Bailey Situation Dicey

The Redskins say they offered Champ Bailey a bundle of money

By Warpath Staff -- Posted Aug 20, 2003

The Redskins say they offered Champ Bailey a bundle of money. Bailey's side says those reports are wrong. Very wrong. This is not the best way to start off negotiations for a soon-to-be prized free agent.

But it makes you wonder why it started this way. And where it's headed. My guess: to a bad ending.

The Redskins say they offered Bailey a deal with a $14.75 million contract, a nine-year deal worth $50 million. Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, called those numbers wrong because some of that bonus money would not be in guaranteed money up front. And the final two years of the deal is heavily backloaded, dragging down the actual value of the contract.

It could be that the Redskins are trying to make Bailey look bad by offering a seemingly good deal, but one that has pitfalls for the player. They offered similar deals to running back Stephen Davis and tackle Jon Jansen before they got serious.

Why would they want to go this route? Because maybe they know they can't afford to keep him: the word on the street is that there's a cash flow problem here (one reason to cut Dan Wilkinson). And this is a way to save face.

Why else would they make this offer public? Bailey's side wanted to keep this out of the papers, yet the Redskins leaked the information. Why tick off arguably your best player in this manner? It doesn't make any sense to start negotiations with bad feelings. Unless you don't plan to keep him. Also, why would you make a take-it-or-leave-it offer in August? Again, you don't do that with a player of his caliber--but you do it this way if you're waging a PR battle.

That's not based on fact, just a strong hunch.

On the other hand, it might be that Bailey is tired of this organization and the losing and wants out. Maybe this is their way of spinning and setting the stage for his departure. Based on what he's been through here--five coordinators, four head coaches and one playoff appearance--I can't blame him.

Know this about Bailey: when the local media voted on their first Good Guy award, he won by a landslide. There's nothing bad to say about him. He's a good guy, a highly, highly competitive guy and very proud. The Redskins might have underestimated that side of him.

There's a chance that the bonus part could be worked out, and isn't as far off the mark as Bailey's side says. But the average deal for the first seven years is only a little more than $4 million. And that's not acceptable to them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the Redskins ever do offer Bailey the deal he wants. Will they do that? Will he sign? This is a drama that could end up with a sad outcome. But maybe that's what both sides are looking for.

i don't see DET having a whole lot of talent. they aren't going to compete anytime soon. MIN is the team to beat in that division for years to come (they will improve the D), and GB is gonna be decent as long as they have Favre. DET is very thin at a lot of positions still. give them four or five years and they will be at .500, but not before. that being said i think that Champ is as good as gone. hate to say it but he hasn't shown much fire this year. he has made a couple of nice plays and, before sunday's game, has been a pretty sure tackler, but he has been getting burned a bit lately. and his tackling was poor this week. he seems to have lost his motivation.

at this point i think that getting a 1st and 3rd (maybe next years 2nd instead) would be a smart football move. we need pass rush and solid DT's so badly. our secondary will continue to give up big plays if we can't pressure the QB. it hurts to think that we will be drafting in the top-10 because our damn team is stinking up the field, but there are players out there that can immediately upgrade our team.

we need a big DT. we need a pressure DE. it would be sweet to have a Sean Taylor, but what about Ohalete and Bowen? Bowen could be moved to a nickle back, but that is off-topic.... we need a lot of help and we can get it in the draft-- but we can't draft a head coach or a GM... sorry fellas.

I agree that Champ doesn't want to be in DC. It's obvious by his comments...based on that fact, I would try to get whatever I could for him.

However, it's impossible to think that another corner on the team can be the #1 guy better than Champ has been. Sure, Smoot has skills, but he does that against the #2, and even the slot guy in some games. Smoot gets thrown to more (except in recent weeks), so his stats are better.

I'm not saying Champ is worth $20 mil., but there aren't too many corners that are consistently better than him. Just look at Smoot last year compared to this year. He sucked balls last year, and this year has been exponentially better. We can't MAKE Champ want to play for us, so I guess he needs to go where the $$ is, and we need to try to get whatever we can for him.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Because Champ turned down the contract offfer many have turned against him and been overly critical of his play. There hasn't been too many if any CB who has had better success each week as Champ. He has played hurt, and made many big plays. He has been burned a couple times this year... alot maybe for him, but by far less than any other starting CB in this league, plus he is one of the few CB that come up on running plays and lays a hit.

We need to keep Champ, or it will be another Redskin going somewhere else, and everybody crying later "why did we let him go"

Last year it was Smoot, this year Champ.... we need to keep both.

Completely agreed Bubba. Champ and Smoot would have a much different and better year with a better defensive line. Just wait and see. I don't want to see Champ leave, and Detroit already has one overpaid, not as good corner in Dre Bly.

Originally posted by lavarleap56

Redskins Offer Deal To Bailey

Team Proposal Includes $14.75 Million Bonus.......

The Washington Redskins have made a contract proposal to Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey that includes a signing bonus of about $14.75 million, sources familiar with the negotiations said yesterday. The deal would make Bailey the highest-paid cornerback and one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL.

a little of the stuff i can find so far i have to pay for archived articles from the post and redskins. com doesnt have anything.

I really didn't see much in all of that. None of it was really notable. When he said we should be paid more, he meant cornerbacks compared to wide recievers in general. I think you're reaching.

I also don't like taking articles that use wording like "poised to" and "apparently hopes". It just shows their giving their opinion and don't really know for sure.

Champ never "rejected" anything, he never got back to the front office on the offer. Which could mean a whole lot of things.

Originally posted by SkinsNumberOne

Yes on Champ's nemesis being Toomer. I don't remember Irvin as Green's nemesis; in fact, I can remember more than one occasion Irvin's line was on the order of "2 receptions, 8 yards". Were those the minority? I don't recall, but I remember a couple that were pretty much all in favor of Green. It's possible I am not remembering other games where he got torched, but I really don't remember any (and if there was one or two, I think they were the minority?).

I thought Jerry Rice was really Green's nemesis. It didn't matter what Green did, Rice would just catch the ball. When Green had good coverage, he got called for PI (wasn't always a good call though).

I remember quite a few games where Irvin had a very good day on Darrell. For instance back in '91, when the Cowboys shot down our chance at a perfect record, Irvin had probably his best game of the season.

I wouldn't say Green and Rice were able to play each other enough be his nemesis. Where as he had to deal with Irvin twice a season.

Originally posted by lavarleap56

What more do you want Gamebreaker he wants to average 7.5million a year he is nuts.

I didn't see a single article or quote that you pasted that said he wants to average that much a season.

What I did read, from the information you provided, was that both sides are saying two different things. Champ's agent says the contract was backloaded, the front office says it wasn't.

No one can really know the truth, we're recieving second hand information. Yet from the facts, we could construct our own opinions.

From what I can gather, the contract was likely backloaded. I say this because they did the exact same thing to Stephen Davis back in '99. Cerrato postered and turned it into a huge mess, than finally signed Davis to this huge contract with all the guaranteed money in the latter years. Which every just knew would create problems in the future because of how the signing bonuses were split up. This looks like the almost exact same thing, and I feel I don't have to remind everyone how much our front office continues to make the same mistakes.

I don't see how you proved Champ is trying to break the bank at all.

Originally posted by Skins24

6 pages late but:

Clown him!

:)

Fact is Champ wanted more money.

So how do you give him more mney without breaking the bank?

That isn't a fact, and I shouldn't be clowned for telling the truth. You're 6 pages late, but apparently didn't read a damn thing going through them.

His agent said the contract was backloaded, that doesn't mean Champ wanted more money. He just didn't want to be screwed like Stephen was, with a jacked-up contract that will need reworking in 2-3 years anyway.

I remember quite a few games where Irvin had a very good day on Darrell. For instance back in '91, when the Cowboys shot down our chance at a perfect record, Irvin had probably his best game of the season.

I wouldn't say Green and Rice were able to play each other enough be his nemesis. Where as he had to deal with Irvin twice a season.

you're right, they didn't play each other enough, but the memory of Irvin's struggles in those one or two games were the only ones that left me lasting impressions, so I felt Rice was the only guy who could qualify.

I found a website for box scores, but it started only in 1994:

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index.nsf

Pretty good site.

Anyway, I stand corrected. In one season, the last season of RFK, in two games Irvin was held to 2 catches. Of course, that second game they hardly played their starters I believe, but in the first game he was held for 1-5. Somehow this is the thing that I remember! Looking at the other stats, he doesn't always blow us out, but yes, there are certainly more 100 yard receiving days than I remember in there. Ugh.

That isn't a fact, and I shouldn't be clowned for telling the truth. You're 6 pages late, but apparently didn't read a damn thing going through them.

His agent said the contract was backloaded, that doesn't mean Champ wanted more money. He just didn't want to be screwed like Stephen was, with a jacked-up contract that will need reworking in 2-3 years anyway.

Not you be clowned...

lavarleap for having that title

And I read every page btw

Oh, and -

What we proposed: "Bailey and Reale rejected a nine-year, $55-million offer that included $14.75 million in bonus money payable in four installments"

What Bailey wanted: "The Bailey camp apparently was seeking a bonus of about $18 million and a contract with an overall value of more than $7 million per season."

Looks like he wanted more money to me...

i am not disputing the fact that the Skins are trying to backload the deal for Champ at all. My point is he wants to one of the highest paid Defensive players in the league and i apologize for not wanting to pay to get quotes out of the archives from the paper. I posted these articles to show the positioning going on between both camps for his departure and that he is looking for a average of 7.5 million dollars a year.

Champ does not want to be here , and If the front office can squeeze by a crappy backloaded contract on him to keep him here and still allow them to get D-line help for the team then so be it.

Clown me for what?? Because we disagree on a subject ?

I respect your thought on the matter however we just wont know who is right until he signs somewhere. Iwill even agree with you that Champ doesnt want that much money but he might just be trying to drive the price out of the skins range so he can get out of town.

Clown me for what?? Because we disagree on a subject ?

:doh:

Ok, what am I not explaining.

I am in complete argreement with you lavarleap, I was talking to gamebreaker. I think you have what I said confused with what he said.

I said for you to be clowned because of the title of this thread.

'twas a joke (that was 6 pages late). I was in no way serious, hence the ":)"

Come on gameb and lavar, get it together :)

Originally posted by Skins24

Not you be clowned...

lavarleap for having that title

And I read every page btw

Oh, and -

What we proposed: "Bailey and Reale rejected a nine-year, $55-million offer that included $14.75 million in bonus money payable in four installments"

What Bailey wanted: "The Bailey camp apparently was seeking a bonus of about $18 million and a contract with an overall value of more than $7 million per season."

Looks like he wanted more money to me...

It is a well-known fact that Champ's camp never made a counter-offer or a rejection. They got back to the Redskins on the offer at all, and that is not rejecting anymore than it is accepting it. That article is wrong.

Also, the "apparently" in the other quote just shows the writer is guessing. Reale and Champ never said how much they wanted. If those numbers came from anyone, it was probably Snyder/Cerrato who have been accused of backloading Champ's contract offer anyway.

OH, sorry its getting a little heated over here because hes asking for proof and im giveing it to him and he still thinks Bailey will come cheap and all will be well with our d-line. here are more articles .

.... Bailey has an idea for a starting, and perhaps ending, point in the contract talks. "Randy Moss got $18 million to sign two years ago," Bailey said.

Mark Zuckerman

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Like most cornerbacks in the NFL, Champ Bailey is confident.

When Bailey says he's the best corner in the league, he is sincere. When he says he's one of the top two or three defensive players, regardless of position, he truly believes it.

So when Bailey says he expects his next contract with the Washington Redskins to treat him as such, he means it.

"Whatever I ask for, they're probably not going to give it to me," Bailey said with a sly grin. "I don't even know what [my first offer] is yet. It's probably going to be something they look at and go, 'Wow,' but I know I'm worth it. I'm not going to ask for anything I'm not worth."

The Redskins soon will find out just what Bailey's contract extension demands are. Agent Jack Reale was supposed to meet with club officials in the next few days, but NFL sources said the initial meeting was pushed back to sometime around

Washington's Aug. 16 home exhibition opener against New England.

Once negotiations commence, both sides expect to talk about the kind of numbers only a handful of players have seen.

"I feel like I'm the No. 1 corner now," Bailey said. "So I should be paid as one of the top two or three defensive players in the league."

The Redskins aren't commenting on Bailey's situation, but if he gets what he wants, the 25-year-old will find himself in the company of a pair of well-paid players: Baltimore's Ray Lewis and Chicago's Brian Urlacher, both middle linebackers.

Lewis established the benchmark for defensive players last year when he signed a seven-year, $50 million contract that included a $19 million signing bonus. Urlacher reached a similar deal with the Bears in June: nine years, $56 million, $19 million in bonuses ($13 million up front to sign).

Ty Law owns the largest signing bonus given to a cornerback: $14.2 million handed out by the Patriots in 1999.

Clearly, Bailey believes he deserves more. It remains to be seen whether Redskins owner Dan Snyder agrees, but there's no question Bailey's teammates hold him in the highest regard.

Bailey has his points -- nine, in fact

By Jody Foldesy - THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Cornerback Champ Bailey has at least nine points of contention with the Washington Redskins' proposal to extend his contract, sources familiar with negotiations have said in recent days. The points, ranging from large issues like the overall value to details like the presence of workout bonuses, illustrate the complexity of talks and why no deal will be consummated soon.

People who work with contracts in the NFL — on both the teams' side and the players' side — generally acknowledged the legitimacy of Bailey's points without necessarily agreeing whether he should win each one. The debate in the public arena so far has been much more simplistic. Public attention, as it often does in contract discussions, has focused on the proposed "signing bonus" for Bailey. The $14.7 million bonus would, in fact, make Bailey the NFL's highest-paid cornerback by that measure.

But by average annual value, the nine-year, $55 million contract would make him the fifth highest-paid cornerback. And a more realistic figure on the average value (see below) would rank him even lower. The Redskins' proposed signing bonus actually is a combination of a true signing bonus, an option bonus and a roster bonus. To call it all a signing bonus is a bit misleading, because some of the money is restructured from Bailey's existing contract. But for better or worse, that is how past contract extensions generally have been reported.

Bailey's camp is scheduled to respond to the Redskins in coming days, and sources said that response will point out problems with the proposal. His camp will not make a counterproposal, waiting to see if there is a next stage of discussions and what form it takes.

If negotiations ultimately intensify, they would center around such points:

1. The $14.7 million "signing bonus." Most people on the players' side of the debate consider Bailey an elite player because of his three Pro Bowls in four NFL seasons.

They say elite players transcend positional rankings and command deals based on those for the game's top players. Thus the $19 million signing bonus of Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis (also a somewhat misleading term referring to his combined guaranteed money) would be a benchmark more consistent with Bailey's thinking.

However, most people who work on the team side think it is dangerous for a club to acknowledge the idea of elite players.

2. The $6.1 million annual average. The top three cornerbacks are all above $7 million in annual average. Bailey expects to be at those levels.

Those on both sides of the debate seem to acknowledge this as a key argument. The consensus seems to be that Washington's deal has a nice signing bonus for public consumption but that its substance is a bit lacking.

3. The deal's nine years. The current benchmark for large NFL deals is seven years, based on the maximum proration allowed for signing bonuses. The Redskins added eighth and ninth years that serve no purpose other than to inflate the average annual value. By removing those two years, the team would be forced to increase earlier years even more to get the right average.

As an example, the average of Washington's proposal if it were chopped to six years instead of nine would be $5.3 million. One person on the team side said the $6.1 million figure should be thrown out because the proposal's length makes comparisons to other contracts meaningless.

4. Ty Law's deal is dated. The New England corner currently has the benchmark deal at Bailey's position, but it was signed four years ago. People on both sides of NFL contracts concede that the contract's relevancy has declined.

5. The balance of true signing bonus and option bonus. Washington's proposed signing bonus is $7.4 million, with a $6 million option bonus. Bailey, if he even agreed with the sum of those figures, would want a greater percentage in the first bonus. That's because there's a slim chance he could sustain a major injury and never see the second bonus.

6. The fact that there's an option bonus at all. Washington doesn't have salary cap trouble this year — the reason option bonuses were invented. Theoretically, the Redskins could put all the money into a true signing bonus.

However, it is fairly common for bonuses of this size to be two-tiered. So a team could argue that Bailey has to expect a tiered bonus.

7. The presence of workout bonuses. Bailey doesn't live in the Washington area during the offseason and doesn't want part of his contract tied to where he makes his offseason home.

One person on the team side, though, vehemently disputed that argument. He said a player who gets paid that much money should be expected to be around all offseason.

8. An insurance policy at Bailey's expense that would benefit the club. Such policies are becoming increasingly common for big-money extensions like these. But they aren't the industry standard. Lewis' deal, for example, doesn't have such a policy, while Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher's does.

Essentially, the Redskins want Bailey to spend his own money to buy insurance in case he gets injured. But he wouldn't be the beneficiary of the policy — the Redskins would. Bailey could, however, negotiate a higher signing bonus to help offset the cost of the premium.

9. The deal's relatively low present value. Washington has structured the contract to pay relatively little money up front. This has nothing to do with the salary cap, but is just for cash flow purposes. Although the money remains guaranteed, the player has less incentive to skip free agency in the spring.

This is an increasingly common approach in the NFL, and it is status quo with the Redskins. Still, a player can decide that the relatively small difference in short-term cash flow isn't worth waiting for a bigger payday in March.

Lavar,

Besides saying he would like to play with his brother, which is kinda understandable with them being related. I haven't read anything that indicated he wouldn't want to be a Skin.

He did say he would leave if Edwards was fired. But that has more to do with the merry-go-round with the coaching staff and less to do about money.

right so,

"I don't even know what [my first offer] is yet. It's probably going to be something they look at and go, 'Wow,' but I know I'm worth it. I'm not going to ask for anything I'm not worth."

and

"I feel like I'm the No. 1 corner now," Bailey said. "So I should be paid as one of the top two or three defensive players in the league."

has nothing to do with money...

I see now.

And gamebreak you keep mentioning he doesn't want a backloaded contract, if that's the case he should just retire now. There is no way he get's a contract anywhere that's not backloaded.

BTW I'd like to see where you get that from. I haven't seen anywhere where someone says that he rejected it because it was backloaded.

Archived