Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

Every time this thread gets bumped, the illiterate portion of my brain says "This is why I love ES.  They've got a thread on Taco Bell." :ols:

They don't steal from people behind closed doors anymore.  They do it right in plain sight.  Unlike the Obamacare repeal effort, I don't sense the kind of public backlash here that will keep them from passing it.  The Republicans need a victory.  Even more pressure on them after Tuesday night's beating at the polls.  They will unite and get it done.  Yay capitalism.

• Haha 1

As ever, they are their own worst enemy. The Senate knows it won't get any Ds to sign on, and they don't need 'em so they want to eliminate the SALT deduction, because they need the $$$s to try to wriggle under the 1.5 TRILLION ceiling. In the House, a bunch of Rs from blue states know they are gonna get killed if they gut the SALT, so they are trying desperately to fine tune some way to do it, kinda sorta somehow but not take the blame. The Senate wants to cut the corp rate but phase it in over time, the House demands that **** right now dammit! for their own reasons (ie. donors) so once again we see parallel but different versions. They may both pass their own version now, but they'll have to be reconciled and neither side will take the blame for it, and anything you do upsets the whole budget applecart.

I expect yet another legislative enema spew like they did with their wealthcare plans, making them look even more inept and incapable.

There's techniques they can use.  

Remember, they only have to make the deficit smaller on paper.  And the CBO is required by law to pretend that any bogus thing in the law that we know won;t happen, will happen.  

One technique they've used in the past is to pretend that their tax cut will expire in a few years.  Since CBO is again required by law to project what the deficit will be over 10 years, that makes the tax cut look smaller.  

That's why part of their "Obamacare repeal" package was to pretend that Congress will cut Medicaid, but not till several years from now.  To "pay for" the things they were doing, right now, with savings that might or might not happen, five years from now.  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

There's techniques they can use.  

Remember, they only have to make the deficit smaller on paper.  And the CBO is required by law to pretend that any bogus thing in the law that we know won;t happen, will happen.  

As per these reports they don’t have to make the deficit smaller at all. They ‘just’ have to show it will not get bigger by more than $1.5 trillion dollars. They can’t even meet that low low bar in the current proposals.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Can you even imagine if positions were reversed and Dems wanted to raise the debt by 1.5 Trillion over 10 years??? The Republicans and their base would be apoplectic!!  

Just think of all the BS time wasted when it was time to raise the debt limit with a shutdown and pushing the US to the edge of defaulting by the GOP. No principles at all. 

For the record that was Congressman John Barry Larson (D-CT 1st District) doing exactly what you'd want your congressman doing, the very thing that politicians supposedly never do, standing up and rocking the boat in disgust at the procedure.

https://larson.house.gov/

Washington, DC Office

1501 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-2265
Fax: (202) 225-1031

Hartford Office

221 Main Street, 2nd Floor
Hartford, CT 06106

Phone: (860) 278-8888
Fax: (860) 278-2111

Feel free to express yourself about his actions

I still can't believe that more people aren't pissed about this tax proposal.  I live in VA which comparatively is not taxed a very high rate.  There are people in higher tax states that are going to get nailed hard by this proposal.  Its going to get everyone in the upper middle class that lives in a state that taxes income.  Only 7 states don't tax income.  Is everyone waiting until they actually see the few hundred a paycheck that is disappeared from their checks?? To late then.  Tax cut my ass. 

9 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I still can't believe that more people aren't pissed about this tax proposal.  I live in VA which comparatively is not taxed a very high rate.  There are people in higher tax states that are going to get nailed hard by this proposal.  Its going to get everyone in the upper middle class that lives in a state that taxes income.  Only 7 states don't tax income.  Is everyone waiting until they actually see the few hundred a paycheck that is disappeared from their checks?? To late then.  Tax cut my ass. 

I think most people don't know what is in it. This is the problem with how the news outlets covering Trump and the cluster **** candidates the GOP is serving up like Roy Pedophile Moore. They spend so much time on it, that things like the tax bill and the EPA ****ing everyone doesn't get the coverage it should. Furthermore, right wing "news" outlets (tv/radio) would rather complain about rich black people kneeling than educate their listeners (those that will get hurt by the tax bill) on the bill. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Furthermore, right wing "news" outlets (tv/radio) would rather complain about rich black people kneeling than educate their listeners (those that will get hurt by the tax bill) on the bill. 

Hence echo chamber issues. With that said, many voters, right and left, are too lazy to do the research themselves. I was talking to some pro-Trump teachers at lunch today, yes there are many of them somehow. They did not know the plan in the tax bill to remove the tuition reimbursement for college graduates could be removed and a deduction for private school tuition would be added. Talk about helping the rich! At any rate, none of these teachers had any clue about that. 

I just can't figure out why nobody is making an issue of yet another attempt to hurt the pocketbooks of the sick...you know the people already being bankrupted by their medical bills.  Let's make healthcare more expensive by any means possible by first doing away with the ACA and then doing away any tax relief they might currently use.  What's next, oh mighty rulers in Wellville? Will you replace the sign at the entry to sickville with the classic sign "Lasciate one speranza voi ch'intrate" 

The sign will be in the original Latin because the warning is only for the rich educated caste. For us plebs, it would have been more useful in English where we might read "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."  

America, land of the free...if you and your family are healthy. Sorry this is my bitter monday lunch rant.

• Like 2