• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Elessar78

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

On 1/18/2018 at 10:50 PM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Nova. 

I was thinking about this on the way home after seeing it, Nova makes sense.  They have a better chance of finding somewhere to build something versus moving in to somewhere, like New York.  Not many hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or wildfires.  Not to mention its in the middle of the east coast and Virginia is purple enough that they can believe VA will soon get in line on some discrimination laws (saw that in cnbc article, we didn't lose the all-star game).

I don't think believe Bezos should be getting tax incentives from anyone.  It's like he's building a stadium or something.  I mean, I get why they are doing it and Virginia is trying to get Amazon warehouses built as well. But it's BS to be giving this man tax breaks, I don't agree with that.  If the government wants to entice a sector in the economy, it should be in a way that affects ever company in that sector, not specific ones, or what's heading towards the largest one. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Tennessee ranked angriest, most hateful state in nation

Natalie Allison, USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee

After compiling a variety of data sources, WalletHub has released its list of the most sinful states in America — and Tennessee made it to the top 10. 

The financial help website says the Volunteer State is the sixth most sinful state overall, but is ranked No. 1 in "anger and hatred" in a breakdown of specific sins.   <more at link>

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/02/21/tennessee-hate-groups-most-angry-state/360742002/

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, zoony said:

Thank God!  Stay the **** out.  You will hate it here

Chairman of the welcoming committee offers the nice people from the press some milk and cookies :)

Amazon is like fast food, instant gratification while slowly killing you.

Stay the **** out of the DMV, the traffic already sucks.

• Haha 1

Traffic is gonna traffic with or without Amazon. The jobs and impact on an already strong market will make this area even more of a global destination. Not sure how you can root against them coming here. 

Came across this article the other day: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/economic-development/northern-virginia-overwhelming-amazon-hq2-favorite-in-latest-vegas-odds-88505

Anyone else see or read the Washingtonian Magazine feature in May on Bezos and his ties to DC? Not sure how you read that article and don't jump to the obvious conclusion that HQ2 will be here, and the Northern Virginia landscape does make a ton of sense compared to the sites DC or Maryland might cobble together (as far as talent/workforce and real-estate). Crystal City in particular.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:24 PM, SkinInsite said:

Amazon is like fast food, instant gratification while slowly killing you.

Stay the **** out of the DMV, the traffic already sucks.

Eh, Amazon's services are great.

However, Bezos is a grade A asshole. 

I still welcome the economic growth it will foster in the DMV. However, I am hoping that the next admin takes a stronger stance against tech giants than our current one.

• Like 1

i love amazons services

i've seen some people have bad experiences, and some of them repeatedly, and it feels like bad luck and i feel bad for them.

i've seen people **** about things because they have other issues and there's nothing amazon could do about it other than not be successful and be a target of this person's anger

*shrug*

i live just outside of nova so I generally benefit from the growth without the traffic hurting us too bad :)

although rising real estate taxes is kind of annoying

Amazon relocating to NoVA seems like an open secret among CEO’s in the local tech community it seems. 

Some of my friends were complaining that their going to be facing a lot of stiff competition for hiring and salaries with Amazon coming here and hiring a huge number of IT people. Amazon has

started contacting real estate developers in NoVA, and they were supposedly scouting Crystal City recently. 

There is already a pretty bad labor shortage in the IT industry in the DMV.

Good news for academia though. UMD’s new computer science building that is being funded by Brendan Iribe is going to attract a lot of high quality students to this area. Amazon is going to be hosting a health tech conference at UMD later this year and partnering with faculty and the athletics department as well.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

Sounds like almost all those in DMV want this to happen, congratulations to them on landing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

It's really, really bad. It's bad everywhere, but here is really bad.

I live too far away to work there. The pay isn't worth the drive and time away from the family, even though amazon pays very well. 

I know people who work there and have worked there. I'm curious to see how their different groups work out. some are good tow ork for others are bad. overall everyone i know has enjoyed the company.

I wondering what kind of job opportunities I can get out of this personally. Im in a weird transition where I have a job, im good at it, but I absolutely hate it. And it pays well. So I dont want to leave unless I can find something better paying. 

But then I remember how everyone that works at Amazon hates it. 

Dunno. But ill keep the resume updated. 

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

Sounds like almost all those in DMV want this to happen, congratulations to them on landing it.

They will be a nice contributor to the taxes.

They will create more congestion in an area that is already too congested.

For those of us in the tech industry it'll raise everyone's wages, and make it harder for the rest of us to hire people.

Pros and cons.

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Amazon relocating to NoVA seems like an open secret among CEO’s in the local tech community it seems. 

Some of my friends were complaining that their going to be facing a lot of stiff competition for hiring and salaries with Amazon coming here and hiring a huge number of IT people. Amazon has

started contacting real estate developers in NoVA, and they were supposedly scouting Crystal City recently. 

Good news for academia though. UMD’s new computer science building that is being funded by Brendan Iribe is going to attract a lot of high quality students to this area. Amazon is going to be hosting a health tech conference at UMD later this year and partnering with faculty and the athletics department as well.

I actually hope this is the case. Latest I heard was they really liked the Old White Flint Mall area. That would have been a nightmare on Rockville Pike after 495. 

52 minutes ago, tshile said:

It's really, really bad. It's bad everywhere, but here is really bad.

I live too far away to work there. The pay isn't worth the drive and time away from the family, even though amazon pays very well. 

I know people who work there and have worked there. I'm curious to see how their different groups work out. some are good tow ork for others are bad. overall everyone i know has enjoyed the company.

I advise the DC City Council on tech policy issues and I’ve sent a proposal for creating hybrid high schools that essentially graduate students with associates degrees in IT fields. Maryland has already put in place funding for these types of schools. 

The four year college model just won’t work to fill the labor shortage at this point. Tech CEO’s in the area are having to compete for workers outside of the DMV which is completely counterproductive. 

Get kids competent enough for entry level IT jobs by the time they finish high school and let them grow in the private sector. Academia should be handling advanced IT and computer science training, with a heavy emphasis on R&D. 

50 minutes ago, Llevron said:

66 is going to be a f'n nightmare. 

If the proposals from the DMV were sensible, the revenue that Amazon brings in should be used to rebuild the transportation infrastructure of the area which is bordering on catastrophic at this point.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I advise the DC City Council on tech policy issues and I’ve sent a proposal for creating hybrid high schools that essentially graduate students with associates degrees in IT fields. Maryland has already put in place funding for these types of schools. 

The four year college model just won’t work to fill the labor shortage at this point. Tech CEO’s in the area are having to compete for workers outside of the DMV which is completely counterproductive. 

Get kids competent enough for entry level IT jobs by the time they finish high school and let them grow in the private sector. Academia should be handling advanced IT and computer science training, with a heavy emphasis on R&D. 

This is based off my experience. I'm sharing it more than trying to argue with you...

what I see are people who are way under-qualified for their position. For two primary reasons

- the people hiring for the position don't know anything about the field, and cannot pick a quality candidate

- there's a shortage of quality candidates and many positions are filled because it's better than not being filled

from purely a security standpoint, this has contributed to a complete **** show. combined with the 'anyone can build a $thing' where $thing is a mobile app, a web page, SSaS, whatever... it's a **** show.

So building in a short circuit to get more people into tech quicker scares me. If the education path is quality, then good. 

What i've seen from government IT... holy **** are we screwed of Russia or whomever (terrorists?) actually decide to target individual areas. They're so unprepared. I think the only reason it hasn't happened is they haven't found the value in shutting down water and waste water systems in smaller towns all over the country. Cause it just wouldn't be that hard if they dedicated the time and money to it.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

If the proposals from the DMV were sensible,

:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

• Haha 3

On 2/22/2018 at 11:29 PM, mcsluggo said:

So angry that they're attacking each other with sugar and ketchup.

Tennessee man defends wife during stabbing with ketchup

Stabbing with ketchup?  How exactly do you stab with ketchup?

Edited by China

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tennessee is both angry and not great with commas.

We also like forced anal sex and despise dentists.  Seriously come visit.  We can do a trump rally after the sex.  Maybe even kill bambi