Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

Elessar78

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Agree.  I think you could put it by Nats Park.  Or you could even put it across the Anacostia river if you add some infrastructure to get people across the river from the Navy Yard area.  That would greatly help to revitalize that area (although you'll get the standard complaints about gentrification). 

You could also tear down the DC Armory and put it there (if you can work out ownership issues).  Or just north of there where the now useless RFK stadium parking lots are.  You can't do RFK itself for various ownership and legal reasons, but those could also potentially get worked out.  Would just take some creative problem solving.  

My one thought would be if Ted got involved

Build Ted a new arena near Nats park

Give Verizon center and a few properties around it to Amazon and some tax breaks so Amazon could refurb Verizon center to become a large office. 

The infrastructure is already in place with the metro and now downtown would have 50k more people showing up daily vs attendance for Wiz/Caps games. 

A new new arena near Nats Park and Audi field would continue to energize the near south east water front 

Well THAT is extremely creative.  I like it.  

If we are going to do crazy ****, then may I suggest they tear down the entire Watergate complex (which is, ahem, a ****hole), kick the old bitty socialites out on their asses, and rebuild that whole area north of the Kennedy Center on the river. 

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well THAT is extremely creative.  I like it.  

If we are going to do crazy ****, then may I suggest they tear down the entire Watergate complex (which is, ahem, a ****hole), kick the old bitty socialites out on their asses, and rebuild that whole area north of the Kennedy Center on the river. 

It is prime real estate in DC and as of now, offers no value to its citizens. It's just a cluster **** of an area. Not even walkable.

Plenty of land in Nova. JBG Smith has already said they’re offering up their Crystal City portfolio that they just got from their acquisition of Vornado who owned almost all of that area. All of Crystal City is primed for redevelopment. Lot of demos and rebuilds of old DoD buildings form the 1970s. 

Tysons with all the density to go up, though traffic is a nightmare. 

Potomac Yard in Alexandria is a massive redevelopment site just south of Crystal. 

Herndon/Dulles site. 

Probably more if you get creative but those are the ones on mass transit (or soon to be). CIT proximity to Dulles and Crystal / Potomac Yards proximity to DCA are also big deals. Very few sites can claim to have near instant access to an airport AND on metro to connect throughout th region. 

So will Amazon want a campus built for them or to be placed into and build up around an existing area and community ala Seattle with south lake union? That may determine where they go within DMV if DMV is the winner. 

Oh and VA business climate is way better than MD and slightly better than DC ... so it’s hard for me to see it going either place. 

The Washington Business Journal has had some really good coverage of this for the area from the beginning although it’s clear the individual jurisdictions and states are playing this one close to th vest and shunning the limelight, which makes me think we’re favored. Notice the places that did publicity stunts were left off this list? 

I tossed this site out for a potential Skins stadium but it would be much better as an Amazon campus. Innovation Ave just north of Dulles Toll Road and east of 28. Right by the airport. There’s about to be a brand new metro station. Very close to their AWS offices in Herndon. Easy access to their Loudoun data centers. And the toll road offers about as easy access to DC as you’ll get out in Western Fairfax and Loudoun. 

There have been developers pitching condos or whatever and filling in the quarry to make a picturesque lake, so you can easily imagine what a bunch of office space around the same lake would look like. That would be a really nice spot for them. 

I’d actually be willing to bet that was the  pitched location. Reason? The finalist location was “Northern VA”, not Fairfax County, Loudoun County, etc. That property is actually in both Fairfax and Loudoun. 

Skinsfan_1215 ... that’s the exact site Loudoun and Fairfax went in on. CIT building + the quarry site for an Amazon campus. Would be ideal IF Amazon wants a suburban yet transit connected campus. Not so much if they wanna plop into an existing urban environment though like they did in seattle. That’s why I think nova has such a great shot. Because it can also offer the alternative in arlington or Alexandria with Crystal City or Potomac Yard

25 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Skinsfan_1215 ... that’s the exact site Loudoun and Fairfax went in on. CIT building + the quarry site for an Amazon campus. Would be ideal IF Amazon wants a suburban yet transit connected campus. Not so much if they wanna plop into an existing urban environment though like they did in seattle. That’s why I think nova has such a great shot. Because it can also offer the alternative in arlington or Alexandria with Crystal City or Potomac Yard

I didn’t realize the location of their bid was public. Off to google! 

Here’s some crap. I sold a house like 8 minutes from that spot a year and a half ago. 2400 sqft single family home in a nice neighborhood for $470k. Bet if Amazon drops 50k jobs into an already competitive housing market that thing coulda been worth north of $600k in a few years. Oh well.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Miami to me is the biggest long shot. There is absolutely no way I put a major HQ in a city with volatile weather, that is only projected to get worse in the coming years and decade.

I think you and I differ on the definition of volatile.  Sunshine and warm temps year round.  Compare the number of days businesses shut down in other cities for Blizzards, ice storms to the days shut down for hurricanes and I dont think its very close.  

Plus the no state income tax has to be appealing.

4 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I think you and I differ on the definition of volatile.  Sunshine and warm temps year round.  Compare the number of days businesses shut down in other cities for Blizzards, ice storms to the days shut down for hurricanes and I dont think its very close.  

Rendering of Amazon’s HQ2 Miami campus in 2050: 

1200px-Clouds_over_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jp

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I didn’t realize the location of their bid was public. Off to google! 

Here’s some crap. I sold a house like 8 minutes from that spot a year and a half ago. 2400 sqft single family home in a nice neighborhood for $470k. Bet if Amazon drops 50k jobs into an already competitive housing market that thing coulda been worth north of $600k in a few years. Oh well.

Officially none have been made public but I think developers leaked it. I read it somewhere a few months ago with Amazon HQ2 madness was gripping everyone. 

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Snow storms in the NE don’t require FEMA intervention and billions in relief aid.

If Miami is facing yearly threats of Cat 4 and Cat 5 hurricanes that can devastate infrastructure, then I don’t see why any major tech company would want to set up their operations in that environment.

Huge longshot IMO.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really think Amazon is looking to go somewhere it will be able to grow the city/town. To me, that rules out most major metropolitan planning areas. 

I can't see Amazon building HQ2 where it won't be #1 -#10 when it comes to being in charge of planning in the area. I think they want to ensure that all decisions for that area flow through them. Do you that happening in major cities?

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I can't see Amazon building HQ2 where it won't be #1 -#10 when it comes to being in charge of planning in the area. I think they want to ensure that all decisions for that area flow through them. Do you that happening in major cities?

Eh. 8 million SF and 50k jobs would make them dominant almost anywhere. And if they wanted a reclamation story Detroit or Baltimore would have made he short list and they’d didn’t. Baltimore was my dark horse and I’m shocked they weren’t short listed. 

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really think Amazon is looking to go somewhere it will be able to grow the city/town. To me, that rules out most major metropolitan planning areas. 

So this is the tension.  Does Amazon want to be able to pull the strings in their smaller town?  Or do they want to put it in a city that has all of the amenities (the arts, restaurants, sports teams, etc.) that will help them attract talent?  Only Amazon knows. 

40 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Snow storms in the NE don’t require FEMA intervention and billions in relief aid.

If Miami is facing yearly threats of Cat 4 and Cat 5 hurricanes that can devastate infrastructure, then I don’t see why any major tech company would want to set up their operations in that environment.

Huge longshot IMO.

If they wanted temperate weather year round and hoping to boost an urban economy that needs it, they would go to San Diego. Its not on the list. I bet the Chargers owner would feel like a rube.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:00 PM, zoony said:

I was in Savannah last week enjoying a bowl of shrimp and grits at a local place, and thought "what this city really needs is a behemoth tech company to come in and dominate local policy and politics, change the local culture to their liking, and unleash 50000 uncultured millenial zombies on the place with their Priuses and sensitivity."

I also remember my time in Bruges, Belgium... they could use some of that too.  They would be thrilled ****less to have that kind of prosperity, Im sure.

We can disagree but dont tell me that sucking off tech company douchebags and their armies of uncultured, no character, conformist zombies who work there is "the reason for a city to exist".

Its funny that the same posters who whine about corporate welfare are the same ones in this thread hoping amazon chooses them.  **** off amazon and go somewhere else... thats what i say :)

Could you please smile for me? I want to make sure you didn't stroke out on that one. 

So I don't suppose you care about what the locals think, huh? I know.  What they think doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is you being happy that no progress has been made anywhere.  Sorry but what you're ranting about this with the US is made up. If you go coast-to-coast in our country, most of it is made up of sterile towns with cookie cutter franchises. Yes, there's a little local flavor here and there, but for the most part corporations run this country. Strangely enough, the biggest exception to that is the large cities you seem to hate. In most cases those places are capable of supporting not only the franchises, but also smaller businesses with some cultural flair.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:10 PM, No Excuses said:

Nashville hot chicken is pretty popular amongst yuppies in the DMV. I think Aziz Ansari even did a show about visiting Nashville and all the yuppies went wild.

Can definitely see the NoVA crowd migrating to Nashville.

In fact, the future yuppies of America would be an ever better get. With an amazon move, people in Nashville will soon be introducing each other by first specifying their preferred pronouns.

This is why I hope both Amazon and Apple both pick southern cities for their new locations. I'd love to see how an influx of yuppies and hipsters driving Priuses would affect the electoral college map and state legislatures in two southern states. GA and NC would be perfect. ?

Personally, I'd love to have either one here in Atlanta. The moment our property values got high enough, we'd sell and hopefully be able to retire and move to Toronto.  Sadly I don't see it happening here. We tick most of the boxes, but unfortunately our puny transit system is worthy of a city like Culpepper or St. Leonard rather than one of the largest MSAs in the country.

23 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Could you please smile for me? I want to make sure you didn't stroke out on that one. 

So I don't suppose you care about what the locals think, huh? I know.  What they think doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is you being happy that no progress has been made anywhere.  Sorry but what you're ranting about this with the US is made up. If you go coast-to-coast in our country, most of it is made up of sterile towns with cookie cutter franchises. Yes, there's a little local flavor here and there, but for the most part corporations run this country. Strangely enough, the biggest exception to that is the large cities you seem to hate. In most cases those places are capable of supporting not only the franchises, but also smaller businesses with some cultural flair.

Well yah, i used a smiley yah moron.:)

On a serious note, glad to see youre as big a hypocrite as everyone else, gettin on your knees for Bezos because youve somehow put your anti corporate philosphies aside in this instance.  Jobs are good!!  :) <----- smiley, in case youre not sure

23 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Personally, I'd love to have either one here in Atlanta. The moment our property values got high enough, we'd sell and hopefully be able to retire and move to Toronto.  Sadly I don't see it happening here. We tick most of the boxes, but unfortunately our puny transit system is worthy of a city like Culpepper or St. Leonard rather than one of the largest MSAs in the country.

Property values never go up in cities that can grow in all 4 directions.  You will just get endless sprawl. (Basically what atlanta is now)

I hope atlanta gets it too.  You can think of me every time youre in traffic :P

Traffic is bad enough there. 

Started around the Olympics and the Atlanta business boom became real ( The average American had no idea there were so many top 500 companies there at the time).

The transit has to be the worst in all major cities across the US, the airport is annoying even. 

I question many factors of the potential ... long term. 

Community, taxes, traffic, stability, and more. 

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Well yah, i used a smiley yah moron.:)

On a serious note, glad to see youre as big a hypocrite as everyone else, gettin on your knees for Bezos because youve somehow put your anti corporate philosphies aside in this instance.  Jobs are good!!  :) <----- smiley, in case youre not sure

Property values never go up in cities that can grow in all 4 directions.  You will just get endless sprawl. (Basically what atlanta is now)

I hope atlanta gets it too.  You can think of me every time youre in traffic :P

My comment was a reference to a test for strokes, not whether you know what a smiley is ya imbecile. As for the corporatism thing, contrary to popular belief, I, like probably most on the left other than the far left, don't hate corporations. We don't like corporate welfare and disagree that they are "people" deserving of the same rights as individuals as RMoney claimed, but they're not in and of themselves evil. In fact, good corporate citizens serve as a natural brake on the far-right types and have shut down their nonsense on several occasions, e.g. bathroom bills, religious "freedom" bills AKA legalized discrimination, etc.

As for your idea about property values, they've increased here to the point that it's in bubble territory. Atlanta in my experience is unique in that there is a LOT of undeveloped land within the city limits. Sherman's march deprived us of most historic buildings so we tear stuff down at the drop of a hat. So that and traffic pushing people intown seems to keep suburban neighborhood values on the lower side and pushes intown values up. We used to live in the burbs but moved intown for appreciation potential and lifestyle reasons. As a result, I can get to work in 15 minutes via car or less than 30 minutes via bike so I don't particularly care about what the traffic does. :P

US-Housing-Case-Shiller-Atlanta-2017-12-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived