Elessar78

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Toronto is a great forward thinking city

Im sure toronto is great.  You should move there 

4 minutes ago, zoony said:

Im sure toronto is great.  You should move there 

I did. Had a great time living there, met some great people and learned a lot from local city officials on 21st century city development. 

Part of my work now in the DMV is connecting developers and city planners to people in Toronto so we can share ideas on building progressive, modern communities. :headbang:

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, Predicto said:

Economically, Detroit might be the perfect choice.  the infrastructure is already there, housing is incredibly cheap, and you could make it into anything you want.  I

Just want to quote this, because this would be the perfect thing for amazon to do.  Which is why they wont.

8 minutes ago, zoony said:

So now we are comparing organically grown business with the race towards zero policies of luring corporations?  Okay

Right, because Seattle provides Amazon with zero incentives, right? 

Also, Seattle, who knows exactly what costs and benefits come from an Amazon HQ, wants no part of HQ2 right?  

Oh wait, Seattle put in a bid.  So did Tacoma.  

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Why is amazon moving?  Do you know?

And now Apple announces that, with the windfall from the corporate tax break, it is seeking a location for a second campus - in the U.S. - to serve as their center for technical support staff. 

According to a report in the Associated Press, Apple will be building a second headquarters over the next five years that will employ an estimated 20,000 workers, all part of a $350 billion commitment to the U.S. economy. The company plans to announce the location of the second headquarters by the end of the year.

https://www.curbed.com/2018/1/17/16902190/apple-new-campus-headquarters-jobs

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Also, Seattle, who knows exactly what costs and benefits come from an Amazon HQ, wants no part of HQ2 right?  

Oh wait, Seattle put in a bid.  So did Tacoma.  

The schrodingers conservative:

Hates liberals for being anti-jobs

simultaneously hates corporations for preferring liberal cities which provide good infrastructure thanks to public spending and private/public initiatives

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

To piss you off, obviously. 

Because seattle has become a ****hole:)  suffocating cost of living, awful congestion, etc.

Its a modern day swarm of locusts, coming soon to a city near you.  

12 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

And now Apple announces that, with the windfall from the corporate tax break, it is seeking a location for a second campus - in the U.S. - to serve as their center for technical support staff. 

According to a report in the Associated Press, Apple will be building a second headquarters over the next five years that will employ an estimated 20,000 workers, all part of a $350 billion commitment to the U.S. economy. The company plans to announce the location of the second headquarters by the end of the year.

https://www.curbed.com/2018/1/17/16902190/apple-new-campus-headquarters-jobs

Again, lets hope its detroit.  I would buy an apple product immediately

Just now, zoony said:

Because seattle has become a ****hole:)  suffocating cost of living, awful congestion, etc.

Its a modern day swarm of locusts, coming soon to a city near you.  

Not true of Nashville? Seems like one of the hip, upcoming cities.

Went there for work and liked the vibe, actually, despite not caring for country music at all.

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Nashville is a dump.  They are backwards, racist, and inbred.  Ignorant trumpkins everywhere

Went there for work and it totally sucked.  Would never go back.

Seriously could you please edit your post to reflect the above?

Good thing the brightest and most talented people in the country are flocking to Nashville, the home of American innovation and economic growth. 

The rest of us wallow in misery in our decaying towns of Boston, DC, SF and NY. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Seriously could you please edit your post to reflect the above?

As a brown person, strangers actually talked to me. I was even reading, gasp, the NY Times in the hotel lobby and someone tried to engage me in conversation. Saw Death Cab for Cutie at Ryman. Main drag has a nice party vibe. Vanderbilt brings it some academic cred and coeds. 

36 minutes ago, zoony said:

Just want to quote this, because this would be the perfect thing for amazon to do.  Which is why they wont.

I believe I recommended Detroit back when this whole thing first started. And you're right, they won't do the common sense thing because Detroit has no perks to offer them. I am probably 75% convinced they will come to the DMV. They have extensive government contractors already, being local would make it even easier for them to completely squash IBM in the cloud arena. Not to mention this area could easily support their personnel needs without drastically changing traffic patterns or being a huge detriment to the local way of life. Traffic is already horrible, having Amazon around isn't going to make it even worse. 

• Like 1

Is the why relevant? Only if you believe it's because Amazon wants to grow a city with their growth.

Seattle is already established. Seattle won't change for every whim of Amazon. So Amazon has to find a new place that it can corrup..er grow.

I'd be surprised if it's a major city that is selected at the end. Unless it's one of those that is on it's last days (or is still living off of a 1950s era glory).

Edited by The Evil Genius

30 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Good thing the brightest and most talented people in the country are flocking to Nashville, the home of American innovation and economic growth. 

The rest of us wallow in misery in our decaying towns of Boston, DC, SF and NY. 

Obviously this is sarcasm because nashville and the entire state of tn is filled with racist inbred trumpkins.  Boston and DC are awesome

Now stay the **** up there please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Apple is building a new HQ too? 20,000 employees?

They are building an additional campus (to house tech support). Not moving like Amazon.

Edited by The Evil Genius

6 minutes ago, zoony said:

Obviously this is sarcasm because nashville and the entire state of tn is filled with racist inbred trumpkins.  Boston and DC are awesome

Now stay the **** up there please.

I am sure Nashville is great. But your complex against coastal cities is sad and entertaining. 

I am now rooting for Nashville to land Amazon HQ2.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

I am sure Nashville is great. But your complex against coastal cities is sad and entertaining. 

I am now rooting for Nashville to land Amazon HQ2.

What complex?  DC and Boston are awesome!  

I hope future amazon employees enjoy anal sex with inbred hillbillies.  Come on down to tennessee

Nashville hot chicken is pretty popular amongst yuppies in the DMV. I think Aziz Ansari even did a show about visiting Nashville and all the yuppies went wild.

Can definitely see the NoVA crowd migrating to Nashville.

In fact, the future yuppies of America would be an ever better get. With an amazon move, people in Nashville will soon be introducing each other by first specifying their preferred pronouns.

Edited by No Excuses

53 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Nashville hot chicken is pretty popular amongst yuppies in the DMV. I think Aziz Ansari even did a show about visiting Nashville and all the yuppies went wild.

Can definitely see the NoVA crowd migrating to Nashville.

In fact, the future yuppies of America would be an ever better get. With an amazon move, people in Nashville will soon be introducing each other by first specifying their preferred pronouns.

I feel like Austin and Nashville are where DMV lawyers move to when they burn out and decide to "follow their passion" and go into the craft ______ business so they never have to wear a tie again.

And also have anal sex with inbred hillbillies.  :evil:

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

And also have anal sex with inbred hillbillies

You are welcome to come visit me anytime