Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

Elessar78

This is a thing and cities from Ottawa to Tulsa are competing for the privilege. Throwing whatever tax breaks and incentives they can. At stake is 50,000 jobs for the winning city.

Has throwing tax breaks at corps ever panned out for a city in he long run?

Lots of article about it on the webs and print.

Just now, Elessar78 said:

This is a thing and cities from Ottawa to Tulsa are competing for the privilege. Throwing whatever tax breaks and incentives they can. At stake is 50,000 jobs for the winning city.

I don't think it's ever really worked out for a sports' team or Olympics, but I have to imagine that if we look at a long enough picture it may for a major corporation. Then again, the way some of these companies work the tax loop holes... probably not.

Without disclosing too much .... as I'm inside of a major local jurisdiction ... it always pays off. There's always an ROI component to incentives. 

And yes, this area has a legitimate shot at HQ2. And if we (the region) get HQ2, the impacts to where they specifically choose to locate will be immense and the ripple effects throughout this region will be very impactful. 

The incentives for this deal whther it lands here or not will be jaw dropping. But for however much is thrown out in incentives, many more times that will be recouped in taxes over the long term. And that won't account for the increased home values, increased jobs from suppliers and partner companies, and the number of companies that spawn out of the talent that Amazon would draw and spin off. 

Don't think about the revenue reported by the company. But think about the taxes that will be collected at a state level on income from the thousands of high income employees, and the real estate taxes collected locally off of the eventual 8 million square feet of office space. Of course there's sales tax collected from the new employees, etc too. So it's not all about reported revenue and how much is passed through whichever jurisdiction it is in. 

Nytimes already saying Amazon have a shortfall of 8,000 engineering jobs they can't fill already. This may add to it. Ottawa is pitching that they are more work visa friendly to address this short fall.

james Madison, you are in the D.C. Area? I am not so just asking.

4 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Nytimes already saying Amazon have a shortfall of 8,000 engineering jobs they can't fill already. This may add to it. Ottawa is pitching that they are more work visa friendly to address this short fall.

Yes, sorry I forget lot of people here aren't local. 

11 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Amazon could make up 20% of the downtown office space by 2022 in Seattle, at over 12 million sqft. 30,000 jobs paying an average over $85k. 

When Amazon opens their HQ2, whatever area lands it will see an influx of 50k high paying jobs, salaries increase, property values skyrocket, and other businesses fights to locate close by. So yeah, the jurisdiction will benefit. Original residents that don’t want to sell and move? Debatable. New people moving in to the area? Not so much. 

I hope Loudoun gets it, as I will gladly sell my house for double what I paid and move somewhere warmer and beachier!

23 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I have been thinking for a while that VA, outside the metro area would be a good spot for them, somewhere around Culpeper, or maybe Haymarket. 

Culpeper is too far from a major metro area and there is no public transportation. Amazon says within 30 miles of metro area with public trans in place. 

A lot of locals in Raleigh, none of us that have any sway, are actually against them coming to RTP. They really aren't needed here and a lot of people don't love the idea of all that will come with Amazon as far as infrastructure. 

35 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Very smart of them and very stupid of this country. 

21 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Culpeper is too far from a major metro area and there is no public transportation. Amazon says within 30 miles of metro area with public trans in place. 

This. Companies want to be near major urban centers and have easy transportation to them. It's very difficult to hire young people otherwise. 

17 minutes ago, Hersh said:

A lot of locals in Raleigh, none of us that have any sway, are actually against them coming to RTP. They really aren't needed here and a lot of people don't love the idea of all that will come with Amazon as far as infrastructure. 

As a Raleigh local I can neither confirm nor refute this statement.

Instead I will just say that Hersh is a loser Capitals fan in Canes Country. #redvolution 

20 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Thats why Raleigh is a nice place to live

Archived