Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

Elessar78

Sad. There should be no incentive other then demographics for these billion dollar companies. 

No tax breaks, savings, or any of that nonsense. 

Amazon could build a 2nd HQ anywhere in the US. Foot the bill...other companies will build around with not even close to the same breaks and benefits that these folks get. 

That's kind of what happened in NYC, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Miami, etc. 

Just now, Fresh8686 said:

I wouldn't be surprised either if they went with NOVA, especially considering the fact that the majority of their data centers are here and they keep building more and more of them.

I think it will be NoVA as well. 

Easy access to the federal government. Four massive universities. High quality of life for employees.

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

I believe I recommended Detroit back when this whole thing first started. And you're right, they won't do the common sense thing because Detroit has no perks to offer them. I am probably 75% convinced they will come to the DMV. They have extensive government contractors already, being local would make it even easier for them to completely squash IBM in the cloud arena. Not to mention this area could easily support their personnel needs without drastically changing traffic patterns or being a huge detriment to the local way of life. Traffic is already horrible, having Amazon around isn't going to make it even worse. 

Gentrification ? 

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I wouldn't be surprised either if they went with NOVA, especially considering the fact that the majority of their data centers are here and they keep building more and more of them.

My horse for winner is columbus, ohio.  Makes more sense than any of the listed cities if their criteria are sincere

Also i think they just announced a 700 million dollar data center there

Nova has too much traffic.  Thats been their major complaint with seattle i think,

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Some conservative douche on the radio today referred to Apple bringing more jobs in as the “re-patriotization of money”.  I bet this ****sucker thinks he’s so smart.

Apple is going to be on a slow cash bleed for the next 25 years. 

Grand opening, grand closin!! /CR

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

As a brown person, strangers actually talked to me. I was even reading, gasp, the NY Times in the hotel lobby and someone tried to engage me in conversation. Saw Death Cab for Cutie at Ryman. Main drag has a nice party vibe. Vanderbilt brings it some academic cred and coeds. 

That's call being polite.

Ever heard of Northern Hospitality ? Nope...It's a Southern thing. 

I say this as a "Yankee".  

Hell, I barely knew my neighbors when I lived up North, some of this Southern charm has given the balance of both. 

27 minutes ago, zoony said:

You are welcome to come visit me anytime

I knew you guys were related. Kissing cousins. Ugh. 

It's gonna be the DMV ... book it ... 3 of the 20 regions are DC ... all the others except Newark NJ and NYC are all separate MSAs essentially. That's insane ... DC likely doesn't have the realestate ... MoCo is likely in the same boat plus the MD business climate is poorer than VA ... I'm pushing my chips to the NOVA bid. And in the end, the region will come together to support whoever ultimately gets the win. But for now, the reason the region isn't playing "all together" is because in a sense you have 3 states with 3 diff. legislatures, incentive packages, motivations, etc. despite it being on region. DC being a state, basically.

Also, Bezos owns the Post, is renovating a mansion in Kalorama and has expressed interest in being more visible and vocal and is a huge anti-trump liberal. This has DMV written all over it. And it's gonna have massive regional ramifications for the good. Even with massive corporate handouts, trust me.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I think it will be NoVA as well. 

Easy access to the federal government. Four massive universities. High quality of life for employees.

Yeah, if you consider sitting on 66/270/95/495/rt 29/rt 50/rockville pike/FFX Cty Pkwy/ICC traffic each day "high quality". 

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

That's call being polite.

Ever heard of Northern Hospitality ? Nope...It's a Southern thing. 

I say this as a "Yankee".  

Hell, I barely knew my neighbors when I lived up North, some of this Southern charm has given the balance of both. 

I knew you guys were related. Kissing cousins. Ugh. 

Actually. Good point. Grew up in VA and I miss that. People north of the Mason Dixon are frigid as heck. 

4 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Wake County’s proposal would have a corridor in downtown Raleigh up to Peace street that would house Amazon. WRAL will have a story on it tonight 

The land ncfc wanted for their stadium? Would be a great fit with the seaboard expansion and across from the old lighting INC. building where the new high rise is going.

Austin is great. However traffic is already becoming a mess there and the Texas legislature does not believe in mass transportation in its capitol. Austin is very close to being choked by traffic like NOVA without the benefit of a 50% working metro. 

Downtown Raleigh would be amazing for the region and the region has the educated workforce, diversity, tech culture and an expanding airport. 

I do do agree though that Herndon will end up with HQ2 

1 minute ago, daveakl said:

The land ncfc wanted for their stadium? Would be a great fit with the seaboard expansion and across from the old lighting INC. building where the new high rise is going.

Kane - the developer of North Hills - is also chair of Research Triangle Regional Partnership.

Here's what he said:

"We submitted a proposal to Amazon through the Wake County economic development that illustrates the ability to provide ample square footage on a Prime corridor extending from several sites downtown that we control combined with other sites that other parties control. This Prime corridor would extend from downtown to our sites at West and Peace St through multiple sites along Capital and Atlantic to Midtown where we control multiple more sites for additional development. Further this corridor could be further enhanced with Transit connectivity

He's definitely got the land. I know Peace college will back it. It actually doesn't use the govt land ncfc wants and would work with TDs idea for a downtown hockey stadium (he's talking with ncfc owner).

It won't all happen because the state legislature or city council will screw something up but we could have a major development with a huge park at dix, Amazon taking a massive footprint, new mls and nhl stadium all in 10 years.

48 minutes ago, daveakl said:

He's definitely got the land. I know Peace college will back it. It actually doesn't use the govt land ncfc wants and would work with TDs idea for a downtown hockey stadium (he's talking with ncfc owner).

It won't all happen because the state legislature or city council will screw something up but we could have a major development with a huge park at dix, Amazon taking a massive footprint, new mls and nhl stadium all in 10 years.

The imbeciles in the state legislature will screw it up. They really don’t want the liberals in Raleigh to have a cool 21st century city 

6 minutes ago, JCB said:

Thanks for the additional info, SHF. I'd just assumed it would be out in the park, and jam things up further. This is far more intriguing.

Agree. If it is out at RTP that just sucks

With what is going on downtown, Amazon would be steroids to the growth occurring 

I have watched the Dillon rise up the last 2 years and the Warehouse district is turning into a fun place. Amazon in the downtown footprint would be fantastic 

I'll predict DC proper.  It has everything but an obvious place to put the HQ.  I think that the types of people that Amazon wants to attract (young highly educated workers) want to live in an urban center.  All the other finalists are legit cities (possible exception of Newark).  MoCo and NoVa are suburbs of DC.  I think that is an important distinction.

I think the issue of finding a space could be solved in some creative ways.

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'll predict DC proper.  It has everything but an obvious place to put the HQ.  I think that the types of people that Amazon wants to attract (young highly educated workers) want to live in an urban center.  All the other finalists are legit cities (possible exception of Newark).  MoCo and NoVa are suburbs of DC.  I think that is an important distinction.

I think the issue of finding a space could be solved in some creative ways.

I still think there is lots of room by Nats Park. The DC proposal for NOMA was also intriguing 

SHF’s rooting interest for personal financial gain

1) Northern VA/DC 

2) Raleigh 

3) Austin 

1 minute ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I still think there is lots of room by Nats Park. The DC proposal for NOMA was also intriguing 

SHF’s rooting interest for personal financial gain

1) Northern VA/DC 

2) Raleigh 

3) Austin 

Agree.  I think you could put it by Nats Park.  Or you could even put it across the Anacostia river if you add some infrastructure to get people across the river from the Navy Yard area.  That would greatly help to revitalize that area (although you'll get the standard complaints about gentrification). 

You could also tear down the DC Armory and put it there (if you can work out ownership issues).  Or just north of there where the now useless RFK stadium parking lots are.  You can't do RFK itself for various ownership and legal reasons, but those could also potentially get worked out.  Would just take some creative problem solving.  

Archived