Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sean McVay Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

Totally agree with you.  Everyone is talking about the Rams D but that Pats D was just downright filthy. 

I've lost a little respect for Brees, I get the non-call was bad and I also get that you have to vent for a few days but its 2 weeks later and I think Brees should have stepped up and owned the fact that in OT he had the ball 1st and 10 at the Saints 40 (roughly 25 yards from FG range) and he watched a defender come up the middle straight at him and decided to force the ball, everyone knows when QB's get hit as they are throwing the ball its always bad news.

His lack of situational awareness cost his team the game, instead of admitting that he's riding this "we got screwed" narrative and I think its sad.

Of all people, he should know you don't force that ball, it's one thing when a QB gets blindsided but when an O lineman gets beat that bad and it happens right in front of your line of sight there is no excuse forcing that throw when the Superbowl is on the line, IMO.

Capture.thumb.JPG.415395c3cfe6faa7bc9fe10d32a9419a.JPG

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I've lost a little respect for Brees, I get the non-call was bad and I also get that you have to vent for a few days but its 2 weeks later and I think Brees should have stepped up and owned the fact that in OT he had the ball 1st and 10 at the Saints 40 (roughly 25 yards from FG range) and he watched a defender come up the middle straight at him and decided to force the ball, everyone knows when QB's get hit as they are throwing the ball its always bad news.

His lack of situational awareness cost his team the game, instead of admitting that he's riding this "we got screwed" narrative and I think its sad.

Of all people, he should know you don't force that ball, it's one thing when a QB gets blindsided but when an O lineman gets beat that bad and it happens right in front of your line of sight there is no excuse forcing that throw when the Superbowl is on the line, IMO.

Saints had the ball inside the 15 yard line with under 2 minutes left and the Rams had only 2 time outs remaining. I would have ran it 3 times and kicked a field goal with less then 1 minute remaining and the rams having no time outs.  Throwing the ball at that point in the game was incredibly stupid.  

On 2/5/2019 at 12:45 PM, NeverSurrender said:

Saints had the ball inside the 15 yard line with under 2 minutes left and the Rams had only 2 time outs remaining. I would have ran it 3 times and kicked a field goal with less then 1 minute remaining and the rams having no time outs.  Throwing the ball at that point in the game was incredibly stupid.  

Supposedly the first play was a called run, however Brees saw a zero-blitz and correctly audibled off, but the ball was thrown poorly.  If they make that play Thomas probably gets a first down if not a touchdown. 

The run wasn't working well all game.  If they run the ball 3 times, the rams still have ~50 seconds left, granted with no timeouts.  Thats still plenty of time for at least two plays in the middle of the field.  The way Zuerlein was kicking, they only have to get to about the Saints 35-40 yard line.   

Bottom line is they wanted to end the game right there and not rely on the defense

Remember the week before they got conservative against Philly and it backfired, but luckily the Lattimore INT sealed it. 

On 2/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, JSSkinz said:

Michael Thomas was single covered deep.  I think Brees was hoping that Thomas could beat the defender on a jump ball.   Thomas however, never located the ball and it fell right to the hands of the defender.   I don't know if it was a miscommunication or what.  Whats weird is Thomas looks to Brees just as he is throwing, and there for some reason breaks upfield.  

If you look at the situation, 2nd and 16 on about the 30 yard line.    If he takes a sack there, its 3rd and 22 from the 25.   Most likely, they run the ball or call short pass and mabye gain 5 yards, punting from their own 30.  Rams get the ball back at maybe the 20-25 yard line.    I don't think it changes the outcome really. 

Although it did appear there were other receivers who were marginally open or Brees could have thrown open, like whoever was at breaking towards the sideline, I'm pretty sure it was Kamara.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived