Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017 Game Day Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Is KC's blocking that good or do the Pats have a garbage front seven?  

A little of both.  Their OL and TEs are outstanding.  Especially in the run game.  The offense is really innovative and effective too.

The Patriots have a meh front.  Especially without Hightower.  They're not terrible, but they're not talented.  They don't have anyone even remotely as good as Justin Houston.  They probably don't even have a Dee Ford.

The thing is, this isn't even KC's Final Form.  They've still got Reggie Ragland to work in once he's fully healthy.  That is going to be a brutal front 7.  They'll stay alive even if they lose a player as good as Eric Berry for the season.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Denver isn't **** and I'll believe the Chargers have turned it around when I see it.  And people seem to take it for granted that Derek Carr is going to be fully recovered this year despite the fact he suffered his injury so late in the season.

The NFC South is much better.  The NFC East is probably better too.

I'll grant that I am putting a bit of faith in Carr's return, but I see no reason not to. The Broncos were 9-7 last year and will be a better team this year, whether their record is or not.

The South is the next best, and it's closer than my previous post made it sound. But Atlanta, KC and Oakland are on one level. Carolina, Denver and Tampa on another, and I'd take San Diego over New Orleans right now.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kirk has a really different personality and playing style.  He's a gunslinger whereas Smith is ultra-conservative.  Kirk has a better arm too.  He can be much more of a playmaker than Smith.

I agree with "can be." I want to see it happen.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For those of us in New England, the rest of you have NO IDEA the amount of perfect season talk we've been dealing with. 

Having it blow up in the first game of the entire season is sweet. Oh, so so sweet.

The ego of patriots fans is absolutely second to none. 

Feels good man. Real good. 

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For those of us in New England, the rest of you have NO IDEA the amount of perfect season talk we've been dealing with. 

Having it blow up in the first game of the entire season is sweet. Oh, so so sweet.

I can't believe anyone actually believed that nonsense.  People came to the wrong conclusions from watching a younger, faster, more talented Atlanta team choke away a blowout SB win in historic fashion.  The Patriots haven't been an overwhelming team for like 10 years, why did so many people think they were now?  Such bad groupthink.

Atlanta is a high quality team and all, but they don't stand out from about eight other teams in their class, like Green Bay, Dallas, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland, Arizona, and Carolina.  There are a lot of teams out there with better rosters than New England.

Brady has been carrying so much weight for this team for so many years that it's disguised the steady degradation of the roster.  Their secondary is loaded, but that's the only really good unit on their team.  When Brady's bad they can't match up with the best teams in the league.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't believe anyone actually believed that nonsense.  People came to the wrong conclusions from watching a younger, faster, more talented Atlanta team choke away a blowout SB win in historic fashion.  The Patriots haven't been an overwhelming team for like 10 years, why did so many people think they were now?  Such bad groupthink.

Atlanta is a high quality team and all, but they don't stand out from about eight other teams in their class, like Green Bay, Dallas, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland, Arizona, and Carolina.  There are a lot of teams out there with better rosters than New England.

Brady has been carrying so much weight for this team for so many years that it's disguised the steady degradation of the roster.  Their secondary is loaded, but that's the only really good unit on their team.  When Brady's bad they can't match up with the best teams in the league.

They did have a "go for it" offseason (really kind of overdue for them to employ that attitude) and are likely better than last year, on paper. But to go undefeated takes a tremendous amount of luck as well as quality. Neither the 07 Patriots nor the 72 Dolphins were the best teams we've seen int he NFL. They were just the great teams that had things line up just right to get those records. No matter how good your team looks, no one can know if they'd be good enough to challenge 16-0 until they get into the season, not to mention the question of health, schedule, luck, etc.

The combination of arrogance and ignorance that would make people just assume they were going to be perfect before game 1 deserves the humiliation they feel after this beating.

For the record, it wasn't just the fans. It was mostly the journalists and radio hosts who wouldn't shut up about the coming perfection.

9 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

Their stadium emptied rather quickly. I heard that is how those fans were before the late 90's. :ols:

It's typically like that there. The stadium is one of the most difficult and annoying to get out of in the NFL. Not to mention many people will walk a mile or two to beat the traffic out. 

But yes, I would say even in the NE area ~80% of the fans barely paid the Patriots any attention. I tell the story all the time about their fans chanting "Bring back Bledsoe" in an early season game after their first super bowl victory. 

The Pats look like they aged real fast.

As someone else said though, they looked old and slow in the Super Bowl too. The Falcons looked like the more talented team and played like it for about 3 quarters.

We'll see if the Pats championship grit and mental fortitude can carry them through another season.

I really hope Reid gets a SB here sooner or later.  He's a great coach (who generally can't manage the clock), but he got a raw deal in Philly, and has had some really terrible family stuff happen to him.  I genuinely like the guy, always have, and really hope that he is able to ultimately hold up the Lombardi. Now that he's no longer with the Eagles.

Good win for them yesterday.  Regardless of how good NE is, going up there and winning in a prime time game is tough.  

And now, the OFFICIAL Bang Radio Hour NFL Picks and Predictions for Week, brought to you by the BANG RADIO HOUR, the greatest podcast on planet earth.

As always, if you use these for gambling purposes, you probably should rethink your life choices.

1. Buffalo fire department called to perform rescue after entire Jets team accidentally locks itself in the bathroom at halftime.
Bills win easy 21-6

2. As more devastation unfolds Sunday, past US presidents band together once again to ask for donations to aid disaster stricken Bears
Falcons soar 34-10

3. Bengals defeat the Ravens and get their 2017 campaign to lose in 1st round of playoffs again off on a good foot.
Cincinnati cruises 26-14

4. Cleveland electrified as rookie QB DeShon Kizer leads furious Browns comeback, scoring two late TDs vs hated Steelers.
Pittsburgh; 29-13

5. Lions edge Cardinals 23-21 in pivotal early season matchup that could decide which team has 17th & which team has 18th pick in 2018 draft

6. After doing amazing work to help the city of Houston, fired up JJ Watt records 2 sacks during coin toss.
Texans roll over hapless Jaguars 36-21

7. After watching woeful Colts opener, owner Jim Irsay scours waiver wire for a new addiction to help him deal with it all year.
Rams 24-13

8. Redskins QB Kirk Cousins claims that not only did God tell him to accept the franchise tag, He also told him to fumble twice on opening day
Eagles 31-27

9. Raiders arrive in Tennessee and realize that they forgot to turn off the kitchen light back home, and to fix the defense. Titans 32-28

10. Panthers QB Cam Newton blames poor performance in stunning loss on lots of small cuts on the roof of his mouth suffered during pre-game bowl of Cap’n Crunch.
49ers in an upset 36-33

11. NFL Films announces 2017 NFL Follies package will just be video of Packers pass defense with “Yakkety Sax” playing in background.
Seahawks 36-28

12. On key 3rd down in 4th quarter, Cowboys granted emergency injunction by US circuit court that allows Zeke Elliott first down yardage.
Giants fall 27-20

I don't mean to toot our horn, but we've been doing these picks online since 1947, and so far we've only been wrong 4 times.
Look it up. 

~Bang

Archived