• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      In today's Divisional Debacle, the Defense under Greg Manusky in the first half, gave up 207 yards of offense (105 rushing/102 passing) and two touchdowns.  That said, they did manage a single INT on which the Offense actually managed to score a touchdown off of. They allowed 12 of 16 passes to be completed . 

In the second half it was 107 yards given up (58 rushing//49 passing) a field goal and a touchdown. They traded their first half pick for a second half sack. However, Dallas completed all five of their pass attempts. 

Don't read that thinking "Well it seems like they tightened up some in the 2nd half."  They didn't. They simply had about half the plays in the second half. 30 plays in the First and 18 in the Second.

So far in two Divisional matchups, the Defense has faltered in the Second half. They start out like a house of fire for the first few drives until their opponents gradually make adjustments. This Defensive coaching staff fails make any adjustments, whether in game or at the very least at Halftime. They've given up over 30 points per game for a total of 63 points given up in two games. While the Bears are up next, the Pats await and they've put up over 70 points in two games. Yeah. Ok. They did shut out the Dolphins today which is looking like the NFL version of ... ahem... shooting fish in a barrel. 

The frustrating thing is Manusky is the DC that the Front Office actively looked to replace during the off season without firing him. When you know they're looking to replace you, most people would make a concentrated effort to show an improvement. Yet Manusky's Defense still keeps acting like it's starring in Groundhog Day.

In his post game presser, when asked directly about if any coaching changes would be made, Gruden said "No, I think after two games – you’re talking about playing two very good offensive football teams and two of the best offensive lines in pro football we just played back-to-back. That’s no excuse whatsoever, but I don’t think we need to hit the panic button yet. We just have to continue to focus on what we can do better to win. Get Jonathan [Allen] in here, get a couple of our corners back in here and let’s go back and strap it up against Chicago [Bears] next week and see what happens.” 

Here's another frustrating thing. The defensive communication was an issue last season as well. Wasn't this supposed to have been worked on during OTA's and Training Camp? It's understandable that the rookies would still be on a learning curve, but NFL vets like Collins and DRC you'd think they would have down by the start of the season. 

Gruden said they're a very talented group on Defense but that they weren't reaching them. When questioned as to why the coaching staff that has been in place for several years, wasn't reaching them, he defended the comment as them being a young defense. “We have some moving parts now. Landon Collins is a veteran guy but this is his first year, [Montez] Sweat’s in his first year, [Cole] Holcomb, it’s his first year, [Jon] Bostic is in his first year. We’re playing Dominique [Rodgers-Cromartie] at corner and this is Jimmy Moreland’s first year, so it’s not like we are the most experienced group. We feel like were very talented, but we`re still fighting through somethings. There are a lot of things to look forward to, without a doubt, but we do have to play better and strap it up and get back to work."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zskins

The Official 2017 Game Day Thread

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is why I tell people not to count on better health and a couple of tweaks meaning the Redskins get far next year in this conference. 

Sad but true

The worst part about this is that I'm heading to a Union meeting on Super Bowl Sunday.

A Union meeting that starts at 6 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday 

A Union meeting that starts at 6 p.m. in Philadelphia on Super Bowl Sunday. 

2 hours ago, thebluefood said:

The worst part about this is that I'm heading to a Union meeting on Super Bowl Sunday.

A Union meeting that starts at 6 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday 

A Union meeting that starts at 6 p.m. in Philadelphia on Super Bowl Sunday. 

Wear/find some kevlar

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wear/find some kevlar

As soon as the chair says "meeting adjourned," I'm making a bee line from the book store to the 30th Street Station and back on the Amtrak to Harrisburg. No way in hell I'm sticking around for that - especially if they (God forbid) win.

20 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Foles had one great season when Chip Kelly took the league by surprise. The next year, he was mediocre, at absolute best.

Bradford, Keenum, even Austin Davis put up solid numbers under Fisher. Foles could not.

I agree with you about Foles, but if he wins the Superbowl and is available I could see a team trading for him. 

Also, QB performances while playing for Fisher don't count. 

34 minutes ago, Destino said:

I agree with you about Foles, but if he wins the Superbowl and is available I could see a team trading for him. 

I don't think I said no one would trade for him. If I did, I retract. I was just dealing with the notion of a "bounty" for him.

17 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't think I said no one would trade for him. If I did, I retract. I was just dealing with the notion of a "bounty" for him.

Watch Bruce Allen get a ham sandwich for Cousins and then trade a 2nd rounder for Foles or Alex Smith.

12 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Watch Bruce Allen get a ham sandwich for Cousins and then trade a 2nd rounder for Foles or Alex Smith.

I'd like to laugh at the idea of that.

I really would.

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

A 2nd rounder?  That might not be enough to get it done.  Better throw in a 1st also just to be safe.

Are we still talking about Rufus' virginity? 

(Two 1st's!) 

On 1/22/2018 at 8:10 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Damn near nailed it.

5 Benjis on the moneyline, btw.

Fly Eagles Fly.

Actually what the idiot traded was even worse than a 2nd rounder but you never can underestimate Wile E Coyote with an opportunity to shoot himself in the foot.

12 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Actually what the idiot traded was even worse than a 2nd rounder but you never can underestimate Wile E Coyote with an opportunity to shoot himself in the foot.

Aaaah yes, the legendary Kendall Fuller.

I've said in the Pats thread, they will win 27-16. It will be a close defensive affair in the first half and then the Pats pull away in the Fourth Quarter to seal the win.

Quarter 1

Patriots 0

Eagles 0

It will be a defensive slug fest in the first quarter and for most of the second quarter.

Quarter 2 

Patriots  7

Eagles 3

Halftime 

Patriots 7

Eagles 3

The late Prince's Hologram appearance will be better than Justin's performance. No wardrobe malfunctions this time.

Quarter 3 

Patriots 10 

Eagles 10

A fairly evenly matched third quarter. Pats go into the 4th quarter with a 17- 13 lead.

Quarter 4 

Patriots 10

Eagles 3

Eagles score first to bring the game to within 1 point, 16-17.  The Pats pull away scoring 10 unanswered points.  Foles who plays well most of the game, throws 2 Ints in the 4th quarter; killing the Eagles comeback chances.

Final Score

Patriots 27

Eagles 16

MVP - Tom Brady

I heard they had to stop greasing the poles with Crisco cause its flammable and guys just ended up setting the poles on fire instead of climbing them

philly burns tonight

Well, good news is: I didn't have to go to Philadelphia today. Started snowing in Harrisburg so everyone I was gonna take said "to hell with that." Dodged that bullet. 

Bad news is: I don't have TV so I'm gonna have to either play "find the strongest signal" on my 15 year old radio or go across the street to the pub and mingle with all the local Eagles fans.