Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Hate The Patriots.

TradeTheBeal!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill Belichick was glad to get out of Mexico before an earthquake or volcano eruption took them out. Hilarious.

"We dealt with it. Players did a great job dealing with all the challenges we had to deal with. I think we're fortunate there was no volcano eruptions or earthquakes, or anything else while we were down there. You have two NFL franchises in an area that I don't know how stable the geological plates that were below us [were], but nothing happened, so that was good."

I hate they get to play a division that has been mostly ass for the last 20 years, with the brief exception when the Jets had that elite defense.  And not a legit franchise QB outside of Tom Brady in that whole division, since Marino retired.  Must be nice when you're pretty much guaranteed to win 6 games a year. 

If I'm not mistaken...similar to the 49ers of the 80s too. There were OK teams in that division, but nobody perennially good. Seahawks had a moment or two with Largent, Warner, and Kreig. Rams had moments with Everett, Dickerson, and Ellerd. Overall though, none of them could challenge the 49ers year in, year out like the NFC East had. 

Lol dude. Did you actually watch football back then. The NFC West really did suck for the most part. 

Oh and the Seahawks? :rofl89:

They were in the AFC.

The NFC West also only had 4 teams so they had 3 rivalries with 3 teams that were mostly garbage in the 80s. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah their division has been week but they’ve kicked everyone’s ass pretty equally during their reign 

Exactly.  Doubters should ask Peyton Manning how overrated the Patriots have been and only won because of a weak division.  It amazes me the length that some people will go to to try and discredit the Pats.  It's like when haters try to put down Gibbs and the Redskins using the excuse that SB 17 and 22 were won after shortened seasons, so they shouldn't count or at least should have an asterisk (Schefter has been on that rant several times).  The Pats, love them or hate them, are really just that good, as was Joe Gibbs and the 1980's, early '90's Redskins.

• Like 1

I don't knock what they accomplished.  I'm just kind of tired of them because:

1.  No other dynasty in the history of the NFL lasted for more than 10 years.  Usually they have been over before 10 years.  Maybe the 49ers of the 80s (81-95) lasted longer than most.

2.  And I'm getting bored with the NFL and the same teams all the time.

16 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Exactly.  Doubters should ask Peyton Manning how overrated the Patriots have been and only won because of a weak division.  It amazes me the length that some people will go to to try and discredit the Pats.  It's like when haters try to put down Gibbs and the Redskins using the excuse that SB 17 and 22 were won after shortened seasons, so they shouldn't count or at least should have an asterisk (Schefter has been on that rant several times).  The Pats, love them or hate them, are really just that good, as was Joe Gibbs and the 1980's, early '90's Redskins.

Nobody is saying the only reason for their great success is the lousy division they dwell in. Their success percentage rate against teams outside their division bears false witness to that.

However, reasons for their dominance in their division can't be ignored, and the crapiness of that division is one of the reasons.

The Patriots have been a giant great white shark in an inlet bay of guppies. The giant shark my be cool at first, but after a while watching it gulp up guppies gets a little boring. :814:

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Nobody is saying the only reason for their great success is the lousy division they dwell in. Their success percentage rate against teams outside their division bears false witness to that.

However, reasons for their dominance in their division can't be ignored, and the crapiness of that division is one of the reasons.

The Patriots have been a giant great white shark in an inlet bay of guppies. The giant shark my be cool at first, but after a while watching it gulp up guppies gets a little boring. 

Nobody is saying that?  I'm not trying to be snarky, but sincere in asking, you don't listen to sports talk radio much, do you? I have heard plenty of people, and I have read posts on this board where people have attributed a lot, if not the bulk of their success due to the crappy division they have played in.  They do exist, and they do live among us.  One could argue the reason that their division has been so bad is due to desperate moves to try to compete with the Pats. All three of those teams have spent so much on defense to slow Brady down, but their offenses have paid the price most years and some of their defensive moves didn't pan out, cough, cough, Mario Williams.

The Pats haven't just dominated their division in the past 10+ years, they have dominated their conference, and pretty much every NFC division they are scheduled to play on a given year.  Getting bored of their dominance still doesn't take away the facts and is no excuse for some people to try to undermine their achievements.  If this had been the Redskins, I'm sure boredom would not be a factor of this message board.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

If this had been the Redskins, I'm sure boredom would not be a factor of this message board.

It would be boring for non-Redskin fans. :) 

If there are folks out there saying a crappy division is the ONLY reason for the Patriots success, there's no reason to take them seriously. Probably just bitter Jets fans.  :chair:

However, I do believe that the fact that no one has seriously challenged them for the AFC East in, like, a decade and a half, it is a contributing factor to their sustained success.

I believe even that year that Brady went out early with a bad knee injury, no one in the AFC East seriously challenged them.

That is one sad division out side of New England. :(

EDIT: I was wrong. The 2008 season that Brady didn't play, they went 11-5, but due to tiebreakers, didn't win the division title that season, and missed the playoffs altogether.

Oh well. :) 

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

This is the same mentality Gibbs had in his first go around, but not as much in the second.

Not even close.  Gibbs never rubbed it in. Saw us take a knee or run the ball when up by a lot. Gibbs was a “karma” kind of guy and always said you never know when you might face these guys again.

Gibbs = humble winner

Belicheat = asshole winner

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Not even close.  Gibbs never rubbed it in. Saw us take a knee or run the ball when up by a lot. Gibbs was a “karma” kind of guy and always said you never know when you might face these guys again.

Gibbs = humble winner

Belicheat = asshole winner

Oh, I don't mean they're attitude towards winning.

I'm talking about their relentless pursuit of winning, in which they both share.

Gibbs, in his first go around, was a never take prisoners type of coach. I can still remember Super Bowl 22, when they up 35-10 in the 4th quarter, Gibbs was still doing long passes and double reverses, even with a comfortable lead, and being able run at will (almost 300 yards rushing that day).

Even Dan Dierdorf, who was calling the game, remarked that the Redskins seemed more like the team down 25 points rather than the team up 25 points with the plays they were running.

I didn't really see that a lot from Gibbs the second time around. He seemed more intent on being the elderly gentleman statesman, rather than the hard driving head coach.

I totally agree that Gbbs wasn't the asshole when it comes to winning that Belicheck can be, but they are both similar at one time in their pursuit of winning.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Oh, I don't mean they're attitude towards winning.

I'm talking about their relentless pursuit of winning, in which they both share.

Gibbs, in his first go around, was a never take prisoners type of coach. I can still remember Super Bowl 22, when they up 35-10 in the 4th quarter, Gibbs was still doing long passes and double reverses, even with a comfortable lead, and being able run at will (almost 300 yards rushing that day).

Even Dan Dierdorf, who was calling the game, remarked that the Redskins seemed more like the team down 25 points rather than the team up 25 points with the plays they were running.

I didn't really see that a lot from Gibbs the second time around. He seemed more intent on being the elderly gentleman statesman, rather than the hard driving head coach.

I totally agree that Gbbs wasn't the asshole when it comes to winning that Belicheck can be, but they are both similar at one time in their pursuit of winning.

I guess in SB22, the Broncos were considered a dangerous type of "comeback" team with Elway.  I guess Gibbs figured if we could put up 35 in one half, so could Elway.  But he kind of called off the dogs in the 4th quarter when it was apparent.

My recollection (I could be wrong with my age :)) is that most of the time, Gibbs would call off the dogs.  But I guess in this era of pass happy offenses, Belichick isn't taking any chances.

Do you remember (I think 1990 or 1992) when we came back from down 38-17 in the 4th quarter against Detroit and won 41-38 in OT with Jeff Rutledge passing for 300+ yards in the 4th quarter?  That was an anomaly back then.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:28 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Lol dude. Did you actually watch football back then. The NFC West really did suck for the most part. 

Oh and the Seahawks? :rofl89:

They were in the AFC.

The NFC West also only had 4 teams so they had 3 rivalries with 3 teams that were mostly garbage in the 80s. 

I've got to stick up for my Saints - they were pretty good in late 80s - early 90s.  From '87 to '92, they never finished below .500, winning 12-3, 10-6, 9-7, 8-8, 11-5, 12-4.   They may have not had a great QB but defense was pretty darn good - in 1992(I think, or may have been '91) all four of their linebackers made the Pro Bowl.  Yes they sucked once got to the playoffs but I was referring to regular season.   

The Rams also weren't bad in that era, and the Falcons had some good seasons early 90s.   

I think NFC Central was much worse in that era, outside of the Bears. 

6 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Do you remember (I think 1990 or 1992) when we came back from down 38-17 in the 4th quarter against Detroit and won 41-38 in OT with Jeff Rutledge passing for 300+ yards in the 4th quarter?  That was an anomaly back then.

1990. I'll link the YouTube of the game, and the interesting part starts at the 1:18 mark of the video. I know Wayne Fontes was doing the run-and-shoot offense at the time, but......Barry Sanders had 11 carries for 104 yards in the game up to this point.  So the Skins bring it to 38-24 with 11:59 left, and then try an onside kick which Detroit recovers at their 47. Detroit calls a short pass on first down, completed, but the receiver fumbles and Skins recover on their own 45.  We drive but turn it over on downs at the Detroit 23 with 9:35 left.  

Next Detroit sequence: incomplete pass, incomplete pass, QB run out of bounds

Skins get ball back on 20 with 8:33 left, and score with 5:48 left......38-31.

Next Detroit sequence from 25: 8-yard sack, pass to 27, QB run to 34.

Skins get ball on 15 with 3:24 left, and get the 12-yard QB TD draw from Rutledge on a 3rd down play that started with 24 secs left and the Skins with no timeouts. Looking at it now, man they would've replayed the heck out of this today....it was close!

Then in OT, Skins get pinned deep and have a horrible punt that gives Detroit the ball at our 45: Sequence: QB keeper for 4 yards and 2 incomplete passes.

Then we get pinned deep again, but on a 3rd and 15 from our 5, Rutledge throws a bullet to Monk out to our 45, and we drive from there.

Again, I know what offense they were running, but you have Barry Friggin Sanders.  Who wound up with 1300 yards that year, a 5.1 YPC clip.  Late in the game with that lead, you gotta feed the beast. If they had, Skins would not have won. Anyway:

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 4:28 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Sadly, I think they are repeating as Superbowl Champs.   They can be beaten but something tells me, they will find a way to win it again.

Vikings vs. Patriots is my dream matchup. I would even be willing to listen to Randy Moss if they put him in the booth for that one.

• Haha 2