Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

7 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Well you know his vision is messed up from the concussion. 

No its not. If he had the type of brain damage from an impact that would alter his vision temporarily, let alone for the rest of his life he would never be cleared to play football again. Even 20 years go that would have been the case. He was given a clean slate with no brain damage, he was an idiot posting that about his eyes.

Edit: My theory as someone in the industry is during his neuro opthomology part of the protocol they realized he had regular refractive error and was told to wear glasses. He was confused by this. 

56 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

He's completely harmless on social media.  Of all the things that some of these athletes tweet/do, Cravens should be the least of anyone's concerns with how he conducts himself. 

Its not about being harmless or not. We arent defending or trying to limit his 1st amendment rights for god sake. But his conduct is absolutely a concern now that he has become a distraction and an ass of a teammate.

Su'a is entitled to do whatever the hell he wants, just as fans are allowed to form an opinion about him based on his actions and social media posts as well. If you dont want your social media actions criticised, dont post questionable ****. Its not hard.

What pisses me off even more is his snapchat post directed at fans saying "people showed their true colors"......So HE can attack fans character, but hes immune from criticism after basically quitting his job without two weeks notice, which is a huge indictment of HIS character? NO, YOU showed your true colors dude. Im sorry, but thats not how it works and its clear the kid doesnt get it. If you want to respond to fan criticism so badly, why not break down whats really going on by issuing a short statement, he didnt even have to give specifics if it is mental health related. Instead, him reacting combative towards the fans just further leads me to believe that people are hitting the nail on the head more often than not.

Like ive said before, liking a player as a person is of least importance to me. As long as he showed up on the field and was a good player for this team, his social media antics and character would have never been discussed, at least by me. But when his actions and immaturity effect the team or become a distraction, thats when all of it becomes fair game as a talking point. Just because some players are worse, and there are athletes out there doing drugs, hitting women, etc doesn't mean we have to coddle or excuse Su'as behavior either.

Sure he hasn't done anything technically wrong before, hes young, and has an eclectic personality. Thats fine. I think hes still growing up and think his current form is that of an immature toolbag. Luckily I can just avoid following him on social media and focus on his play on the field, hoping he matures.

My opinion is the dude has insecurities and craves acceptance from friends, teammates, and the public. None of that is a problem until it effects his job.

Put yourself in the shoes of the players in that Redskins DB group chat: Su'a makes a dramatic string of comments about how great it was to play with you and the rest of the DBs, says "Peace Out!", then removes himself from the group chat for more dramatic effect. Its so disgustingly immature and cowardly, didnt even give his teammates the opportunity to respond. But based on that video of him talking to Will Compton, I don't even know if they would have had anything to say to him anyways. Im sure Will's attempt wasn't the first of the sort to talk sense into him during training camp.

Everything points to him being a disillusioned young kid who would rather run from adversity to his comfort zone rather than fight through. 

7 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Well you know his vision is messed up from the concussion. And as am avid ex pothead...his eye color doesn't say he is high as you not gonna have one white and one discolored. I mean Patrick Willis retired...anthony Davis. He needs to find his why which is what Compton was trying to pull out of him

The closest exaple I have regarding this situation is Chris Borland.

Some of those youngsters reach the NFL level mostly due to athlestism, and hearings about life as a pro. Only to go for a free fall when they reach that status and it's most likely not the dream all of them thought it was.

As much as I would be disappointed if he do retire, I wouldn't hold that against him. At some point, you have to do what's best for you, and if it's not football, so be it.

13 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Obviously attention makes him happy. Who is going to want to "get to know" a 22 year old quitter drama queen? I'm sure there is a line of people interested in the vast life experience of an insecure coddled former athlete.

The news cycle is fast. He will not even be a fleeting thought in 6 months...

5 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Some of you need to go for a walk, hug a loved one, or find a hobby. 

The emotional response to what some 22yo you've never met decides to do is mind-boggling to me. 

He was a 2nd round pick of the team we love, we had high expectations. Following this team IS one of our hobbies.  He isn't gone because of some terrible injury, he will be gone because he quit.  A week before the opener.  As I said it's of course his right to live the life he chooses but it's certainly understandable for fans to have a reaction. If we didn't care we wouldn't be spending time posting on a team message board.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Obviously attention makes him happy. Who is going to want to "get to know" a 22 year old quitter drama queen? I'm sure there is a line of people interested in the vast life experience of an insecure coddled former athlete.

So true. 

I wonder if narcissistics like Cravens are capable of understanding that nobody cares about them once they can't play anymore. 

RG3 is learning this too. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Thats the thing. Hes never been knocked off his high horse and been through enough to be humble as man. Hes delusional and wants the spotlight to be on him, only when its positive and supportive though. Give me a break. The RG3-esque narcissism is a perfect comparison. Bob still probably thinks he should be handed a starting job if he was picked up and Sua is in for a big wakeup call when Deshazor might end up keeping the starting job if/when he ever returns. Id love to see how he responds to that actually.

Breeland falls in this category of wanting his cake and eating it too. Responded terribly to the addition of Josh Norman. Hes even a little better than Sua at this point which is sad considering Bree isnt a role model of maturity yet either, but at least hes using the criticism to fuel his contract year and get out of a situation he is unhappy in rather than being a QUITTER.

Its so sad hes more worried about his own snapchat reality show to garner attention and get people to feel sorry for him after acting like a child than being a professional, issuing any sort of statement on the matter, or repairing the damage hes done to his employer and co-workers.

5 minutes ago, scruffylookin said:

So true. 

I wonder if narcissistics like Cravens are capable of understanding that nobody cares about them once they can't play anymore. 

RG3 is learning this too. 

I guess I've been living under a rock but for the first time since RG3 left us  

I looked him up on social media. Talk about a sad story. The guy had it all and know he's going through a nasty divorce, apparently (not my place to judge) cheated on his HS sweetheart with multiple women, has gotten remarried, and is expecting another child. All while still looking for employment in the NFL. 

Makes me a little sad honestly. 

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

He was a 2nd round pick of the team we love, we had high expectations. Following this team is one of our hobbies.  He isn't gone because of some terrible injury, he will be gone because he quit.  A week before the opener.  As I said it's of course his right to live the life he chooses but it's certainly understandable for fans to have a reaction. If we didn't care we wouldn't be spending time posting on a team message board.

Im rooting for Montae Nicholson and Deshazor Everett so much harder now until Sua does something to earn my sympathy or trust in him as a fan.

12 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

...but at least hes using the criticism to fuel his contract year and get out of a situation he is unhappy in rather than being a QUITTER....

Few things in sports draw the ire of fans than a quitter.

The NFL has a long list of players who fought through tragedy, adversity, and incredible obstacles and rejections only to become quality starters with long careers. Those players gain a ton of respect and appreciation from fans of all teams. We also love seeing "our guys" never giving up and coming back from a huge deficit in a game, or to tear off a long string of wins when the season looked absolutely lost. We celebrate that stuff.

Quitting is the antithesis of all that. It's only accepted and given respect if the quitting is forced on the player in some way.

2 hours ago, kleese said:

Just because something becomes more socially accepted doesn't make it right. Airing stuff on social media that pertains to your job is poor form. I employ approx. 40-50 young people between the ages of 16-22 and I know all about how the interact and use social media-- and I tell them all the time to keep any company business off of their feeds. It can and will be used against you.....

And whatever your company does is vastly different to the NFL.  You just can't compare the two. 

Also, I'm 24. I know plenty of ppl 20-24. Most are mature, functioning adults. No, none of us are famous but being mature as little to do with that. The age excuse doesn't fly with me in terms of Su'a

He's exceptionally immature for someone no matter the age 

In fact, there is a pretty big contingent of players on the roster currently that age that handle themselves in a more mature manner on social media and in real life. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

And whatever your company does is vastly different to the NFL.  You just can't compare the two. 

Yes, but as a general rule, posting publicly about your job is unprofessional. Especially if it goes into any gray area where you might be complaining or "calling out" someone at "the office." Obviously, posting that you are excited about the game or whatever is harmless and I have no issues with that. But if it ever shifts into a realm that goes beyond the VERY mundane or the VERY positive, you are asking for trouble.

I'm all for people deciding to retire and walk away. It's their life.

It's just that I've felt something has been off about this dude since he stepped in the building. That, and his adoration and persistence in repping Sean Taylor. But Taylor lived and breathed football, and respected the game. I don't and never have gotten that feeling from him. All the way up to that Arizona game I had yet to see what was so special about him.

He should've retired, though. If you're gonna leave, then leave and give the job to somebody that actually wants to be there. I don't see how being talked back into something you had your mind set on does anyone good, especially your teammates

4 minutes ago, kleese said:

Yes, but as a general rule, posting publicly about your job is unprofessional. Especially if it goes into any gray area where you might be complaining or "calling out" someone at "the office." Obviously, posting that you are excited about the game or whatever is harmless and I have no issues with that. But if it ever shifts into a realm that goes beyond the VERY mundane or the VERY positive, you are asking for trouble.

I hope you had the same sentiments towards Kirk Cousins with his passive-aggressive tweets about his contract (even though it was just in humor) this past summer. 

Again, the way the NFL operates is vastly different from the standards that you may have for your employees. 

16 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Wait a minute lol...first you said this:

"He acts the way on social media as most 22 year olds will.  Sorry he didn't live up to YOUR standards LOL. "

Now you're saying this:

"And whatever your company does is vastly different to the NFL.  You just can't compare the two. "

But you did just that--compared the two--in your earlier post lol...you didn't say "most 22 year olds in the NFL", you just said most 22 year olds, which would include 22 year olds not in the NFL. So Kleese's comparison was absolutely valid in that respect.

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Also, I'm 24. I know plenty of ppl 20-24. Most are mature, functioning adults. No, none of us are famous but being mature as little to do with that. The age excuse doesn't fly with me in terms of Su'a

He's exceptionally immature for someone no matter the age 

In fact, there is a pretty big contingent of players on the roster currently that age that handle themselves in a more mature manner on social media and in real life. 

Of course there are mature folks who are between 18-24.  However, I don't view Cravens any differently because I know I was a different person when I was that age compared to how I am now.  His generation is essentially living through social media.  It's just the way things have trended over the past few years.  I think he's completely harmless, but I can see how folks see him as someone who craves attention.  That being said, NO ONE knows exactly what he's dealing with on the inside.  With the warning signs going back to his days at USC, this seems to be an issue that has been brewing for a while. 

45 minutes ago, RonBurgandy said:

I guess I've been living under a rock but for the first time since RG3 left us  

I looked him up on social media. Talk about a sad story. The guy had it all and know he's going through a nasty divorce, apparently (not my place to judge) cheated on his HS sweetheart with multiple women, has gotten remarried, and is expecting another child. All while still looking for employment in the NFL. 

Makes me a little sad honestly. 

RG3 lost total control. He got eaten alive by his celebrity. I thought the first sign of real trouble for me was when I heard about the Documentary, "RG3: The Will to Win," produced by.....RG3. That was an uh-oh moment for me. And it came to pass--- if I remember correctly, that didn't sit well at all with other guys on the team-- like RG3 was the first guy in the history of sports to rehab an injured knee. His social media nonsense spiraled out of control to a narcissistic level I had never seen before. You could argue it "harmless" but it was also such a load of BS-- and that's the issue-- no bought what he was selling. He came off as self-centered and total and complete phony. I loved that one time he posted something and then the media reacted to it and he immediately called them back to his locker to go over the misinterpretation of his post (this all happened in like 30 minutes). 

Honestly, the guy turned himself into a joke. Then, his off-field issues start coming to light and while it is no one's business, you certainly open yourself to ridicule when those things come out while you've been professing differing values on your social media accounts all along.

Even though I think a LOT of this was totally self-inflicted, I do kinda feel bad for him too. He was quite the phenom in 2012, and it's pretty shocking to see how far he has fallen. He is a 30 For 30 waiting to happen.  

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Wait a minute lol...first you said this:

"He acts the way on social media as most 22 year olds will.  Sorry he didn't live up to YOUR standards LOL. "

Now you're saying this:

"And whatever your company does is vastly different to the NFL.  You just can't compare the two. "

But you did just that--compared the two--in your earlier post lol...you didn't say "most 22 year olds in the NFL", you just said most 22 year olds, which would include 22 year olds not in the NFL. So Kleese's comparison was absolutely valid in that respect.

Don't think I said ALL.  I didn't mince my words. 

I'm painting broad stroke while understanding that there is another side to that coin....folks who are in that same age group who are wired a bit differently

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I hope you had the same sentiments towards Kirk Cousins with his passive-aggressive tweets about his contract (even though it was just in humor) this past summer. 

Again, the way the NFL operates is vastly different from the standards that you may have for your employees. 

Kirk signed his tender within days 2 years in a row. Showed up the entire off season and put in the work. Every other franchise player last few years has skipped the entire off season, training camp and preseason. Kirk is a professional and handles his business. He got drafted into a situation with zero chance to compete and kept grinding. Plus he's not the one leaking details of the negotiation numbers. There is no world where you can compare Kirk to anything Sua does on social media.

Will and desire > talent every day of the week. If he doesn't want to be here, he shouldn't be here, and we shouldn't want him here. As critical of this team as I am, I don't think you can put this one on them. If USC wasn't forthcoming about his commitment to the team, then shame on them for not doing their job. They shouldn't be protecting their players from scrutiny. It will only burn them in the long run.

5 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

See, I view it as having some tact. While it may be passive-aggressive, almost everything KC has ever said publicly about his contract has either been bland and standard or politely tongue-in-cheek. Almost sort of poking fun at the process. He has had so many opportunities to toss daggers and he never has. But when you say something like "thanks for everyone showing their true colors...." that screams drama and immaturity.

Archived