Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

On 2/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, Veretax said:

as i look at the QB Draft class I feel like there's a big gap between 1st and 4th rd. in terms of talent.  Thankfully we have Smith so don't have to force the issue.  I think I will like next years class better.

As for WR, I'd love to have an impact guy, but for which WR position?  We are obviously keeping Crowder, I'm expect Ryan Grant to be gone at some point.  I think you still have Doctson for next year, and you have Robert Davis who may have been on Practice squad for a while, no idea if he'll be worth moving up they could still extend Pryor for a year because of his injury (they showed a lot of patience with Galette after all)

But I half wonder if they will surprise us and reach out for an impact  Tight End.  I don't think they move on from Reed yet, but Vernon is Serviceable, but we may have seen the best from him.  I'm not sure what Sprinkle is at this point, and Niles Paul does whatever is asked of him, but I feel like we might want to start grooming a replacement for Niles, Vernonr, or Jordan.     Seems like Cooley was talking about some Tight End a while ago that might be an impact pick.

I’ve been thinking too about the impact TE, maybe one that better at blocking than our current group?  I like Sprinkle too, but if Goedert is the second coming of Gronk then he’ll be tough to pass on.  Then you could actually use Jordan Reed at his true position which is basically a big WR. A very good one though.  Maybe he’ll get fewer concussions split out wide... would fill the need for us at WR a little too.

The WR we really need tho is a fast one, deep threat, so we can dial up desean’s old plays.  The role exists in this offense and currently no one on the roster can really fill it... Crowder can do a little on the outside but yes he’s small and not that physical but a legit slot WR.  Doctson has the tools to grow into the legit #1, he just needs some help...

Two guys-that’s it, only two WRs in the draft that are projected to come in and make an immediate impact- Ridley and Kirk.  I’d take either.  If we don’t get Alex Smith some weapons it’s gonna be a long season.  Impact TE could work too...

Think we need to stay away from all big free agents this year. We should get the top compensatory for Kirk, highest 3rd rd. they give out, next year. But we have to loose 3 free agents and if we sign a pricey one it could bring down the pick.  To get back picks we need to trade down if possible.  Seems like a good draft to get our left guard, resigning Brown is a must for me Speedy WR in draft I like DJ Moore after the 1st rd.,  best player in first,  

5 minutes ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*Personally, if we do draft an interior DL, I hope it's TIM SETTLE, NT, VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES!

To me, he's BETTER, and MIRE TECHNICALLY-SOUND, than VITA VETAE (SO?), of the WASHINGTON HUSKIES.

*See Here: 

Great quickness, good pass rushing chops, and could be had in the 2nd round filling a need.

10 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

I like Moore too. Gallup is a guy who we could target later for Moore-ish like skills. 

Like Carrington's hands too.

Gallup has been one of my favorites after some of the 1st round guys, but he’s moved up in mocks since then.  Think he’s projected as a solid 2nd rounder now.  

23 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

Great quickness, good pass rushing chops, and could be had in the 2nd round filling a need.

Yeah, I'd draft him in the second too. It seems like Harrison Phillips, B.J. Hill, Kendrick Norton are candidates for the third round. There may be some depth at NT this year, depending on what your preference is. Clearly, Tomsula prefers a 1-tech so I think we can almost forget about these four discussed - likely Vita Vea too - and that is a tad bit disappointing. That said, having a staff that has clear preferences is not always a downside. 

It does seem like Payne is more of the style after they pursued Bennie Logan last year. He'll probably be available, it'll just depend on who else is available and how they stack up relative to Payne. 

*How 'bout we 'double-up' on VIRGINIA TECH Players (1st & 2nd Rounds), as we did in ALABAMA Players, last Draft?!?

-- Round 1: TREMAINE EDMUNDS, LB (ILB/OLB)... 

And...

-- Round 2: TIM SETTLE, NT (0/1/3-Technique)...

"CALL ME CRAZY!?! But, Huh, Mane?!? 2 VERSATILE STUDS!!"

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Does Edmunds have a 1st rd projection? I can’t imagine that he does. I’ll call you crazy 

*For 'US', he just may well have '1st-Round Grades!?! It's all up to what our COACHES think -- NOT us!!!

I just put it out there...

Was LB ANDERSON a 'PROJECTED 2nd-Rounder', last Draft?!?

*I'm from Congo-Kinshasa. English isn't my FIRST language. And, prior to my expatriation to the USA, 'FOOTBALL' was what you might call 'SOCCER'.

I'm also a former Vietnam-Era US Naval Security Group / Special Warfare Group - Attached Combat Veteran. 

So, YES, I'm 'More than a Little Crazy'... ?

59 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Does Edmunds have a 1st rd projection? I can’t imagine that he does. I’ll call you crazy 

Nfl.com has him as the top ranked LB (7.2).  Says his comp is Brian Urlacher.  Freakish athlete.

This from an article a few months back re Christian Kirk comps.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/nfl-network-analysts-make-nfl-comparisons-texas-star-christian-kirk/

...the dynamic receiver and return man will likely be a high draft pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, so the time may be right for him to jump to the pros.

Therefore, it’s no surprise that the NFL comparisons are starting to roll in. On Tuesday, NFL Network analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks made their comps for Kirk on the “Move the Sticks” podcast (via 247Sports):

“You have kind of that running back build and you have that strength and you see that after the catch,” Jeremiah said. “But the quickness and the toughness that Golden Tate brings to the table. When I study you I see kind of a Golden Tate, maybe with a little bit of a turbo jet strapped to his back.”

Brooks had a bit of a different approach, though, comparing Kirk to a guy who has become Tom Brady’s right-hand man with the New England Patriots:

“I saw a little Julian Edelman,” Brooks said. “And part of the reason I saw Julian Edelman is, I believe you play with a little bit of an attitude, some feistiness to your game.”

Golden Tate w a little bit of a turbo jet??  Yes pls 

Was reading elsewhere about WR Korey Robertson. Not sure if he's been mentioned on here.

We're going to have to make a move to get another mid round pick. If someone slides from the top 5-10 range unexpectedly, you pick. Otherwise, we need to be dropping back a few places.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I hope we target Ryan Jensen from the Raven in FA to upgrade at C. If we don't go for Jensen, I like the look of Frank Ragnow.

We have to seriously upgrade at LG and OC.

Also been looking at Taylor Hearn, although not sure what round projection he has.

Apparently the team feels very good about Chase Roullier at C. I thought he looked good in his role last year. Hopefully he continues to develop, and we can use assets to upgrade LG.

38 minutes ago, Tay said:

Apparently the team feels very good about Chase Roullier at C. I thought he looked good in his role last year. Hopefully he continues to develop, and we can use assets to upgrade LG.

In general these French name guys do pretty solid on our team. Pierre Garmin and Rickey Jean Francois. 

:P But yeah if we grab a o-lineman it will either be a flex guy (can play more positions) or pure guard. Don't really see them picking a center unless he can also move to guard. 

On 2/10/2018 at 7:04 PM, skinsfan66 said:

Reminds me of Joe Washigton . I could see him in the 2nd. Al though DJ Moore I would be happy with in the 2nd.

Here's my worry about Ronald Jones. He's listed at 6' 200. Not sure if he has been officially weighed measured yet. Let's assume that's at least somewhat accurate.Hes not going to be a 20 carry back at that size in the NFL. That's what we need in our offense.

We already have CT for the complementary and 3rd down role which is what I think Jones will be in the NFL. He may be more explosive and end being better than CT but for our roster I don't think he's the type of back we should be targeting. We need a 1st and 2nd down guy who can handle the workload AND who can get more than is blocked for him and convert breaks into big plays.

Archived