Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I thought we were a BPA team.  I understand excluding QB from that, but not LB.  Especially when you need at least two stack linebackers two run this scheme.  If Smith is BPA then he needs to be the pick.  Extending Zach Brown shouldn't be a factor.

True.  I think the writer was speculating that Brown seemed to work well with Mason and that if the Skins signed Brown to a 10million contract that they would want to devote draft resources at another position.  I don't think the Skins are going to pay that much for an ILB - - Brown will look around and then the Skins will try to match the contract if it's workable.  I'd like a top talent (rd 1-2) ILB even if the Skins sign Brown.  If the Skins could manage to get DL then ILB I don't think we would have to worry about teams running at will against the Skins anymore.

4 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

About Vita Vea. I don't think he is the type of NT Tomsula likes. I think was early in camp that he made some comments that he doesn't like the really big guys. He wants guys that are little more athletic. Now I must say Vea is big man with smaller DT atheletic abiltie...but it would explain why two weeks ago the rumour came out that we liked Payne for NT position and weren't a big fan of Vea. 

Skins don't want to invest a #13 pick on a two down player - the question is whether Vita Vea is just a two down player or whether his athleticism means he's still a real good bet for pass rush on 3rd down.  I think his combine results will have a big impact on his draft position.  

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Is there a deep threat guy who is worth taking at 13 though? I know lots of people like Christian Kirk however I think 13 would be a big reach for him but at the same time I also have a feeling he might not last until our pick in the 2nd. If we wanted to go WR I'd prefer to go BPA at 13 and then pick up Anthony Miller in the 2nd. I actually like him a bit more than Kirk. That being said, I'd also prefer that we went RB in the 2nd. This RB class is really deep so the guys available in the 2nd would be likely 1st round picks in most other years.

Its a great question, right now it would seem that Kirk at 13 would be a reach if the draft were this weekend.  IF he crushes the combine and get around 4.4, honestly with his skill set and scouting comps, he may not even be there at 13. I have seen mocks that have him going 8 to the bears, and way-too-early mocks from last year that had him at 2 overall.  Based on recent mocks and based on the buzz he is starting to get, I see him climbing draft boards similar to how Christian mccaffrey did so last year, he has that kind of talent to me, but perhaps faster that CMac’s 40 of 4.48.  Re Anthony Miller, yes he’s gonna be solid, getting the Kendall Wright comp.  he’s a little smaller thinner, more of a pure slot it would seem.  Kirk *could* be faster and also play outside due to his RB frame.

if you study the tape, the offense kirk was on did not give him the targets he deserved. Their QB play was atrocious in 16/17, and his competition level was top notch, going against serious defenses in Bama and LSU he looked very good in his limited looks, tons of separation.  The QBs scrambled a lot so his value is  still untapped and a relative unknown.

to me it’s who’s the WR in the draft that we need?  Because WR FA, for. a bigger name, will simply cost too much and won’t be the piece that we need to keep As from being captain checkdown. I keep alluding to Kamara and how he fit that Reggie bush/sproles role in the saints’ offense. They already had the plays for him mapped out.  The same can be said for our offense post d jack.  Think about it, it makes a lot of sense, and whether it’s Kirk or Ridley, either would work.  Significant drop off after that though not out of the question to snag a James Washington in the 2nd round and have him contribute.

i think adding a FA RB is more likely and would spent. A better chance for us to balance the younger guys with a dynamic vet presence. I think the same is possible for DL honestly, there are guys that can come in and play at maybe a higher level that a Vea or Payne.

in my many, perhaps unrealistic mock drafts, I see the following windows for positions of need:

day one contributing WR: rounds 1-2

Rotational DT prospects: 1-7 (seriously)

RB: 2-7.  this is the deepest position in the draft this year.  John Kelly is a baller in the late rounds.  Bo Scar. LJ Scott, all would balance well with our current RB room.

OG: 1-5... not a lot of OG talent, there is some at the end of th draft I’m sure, but if we want someone to come in and get on the field, it’ll have to be earlier, like second round.

Cbs are deep, especially if we need. Nickel corner specifically.

safeties, only a handful.

we could sign an undrafted FA QB and not rock the boat with AS in someone like Kyle Allen or Lueletta... 

I also really think we should lock up Z Brown, dude was great in this d last year, pay the man to anchor the D.  Snag more DL depth in the later rounds, unless Taven Bryan is there for us in 2nd.  We should strongly consider adding explosive offensive talent to make our offense work again. I don’t have the stats but as we know the d was on the field a lot last year.  The best defense is a played when a solid, well balanced, great offense goes on long drives and doesn’t throw picks in the red zone.

If I was given the choice of drafting anyone I wanted for this Redskins team, this is who I would want in the order below.

#1 - Saquan Barkley

#2 - Quenton Nelson

#3 - Vita Vea

#4 - Da'Ron Payne

Saquan Barkley will not be there, but if either of the next three are there, I am running to the podium.  IMO, one of these four is a "must have." 

I am tired of this team being consistently unable to run the ball and stop the run.  

Fascinating pull of information from Bucky here, hot off the presses:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915336/article/bucky-brooks-top-5-2018-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position?campaign=tw-cf-sf181609754-sf181609754&sf181609754=1

great insight.  Says RB class is “loaded”, and has Royce Freeman in the top 5.

obligatory Christian Kirk blurb, #2 on most rankings:

Kirk is smooth and explosive as a dynamic playmaker on the perimeter. He can thrive in the slot or out wide while also delivering splash plays as a returner.

Also has Maurice Hurst as #1 DT, and mentions the need and trend for teams to seek out that interior pass rushing DT.  Keep in mind this is what we have in J Allen.  Could always use more though.  He has Taven Bryan high on his list too, he probably won’t fall to us in the 2nd.

also for consideration, Derwin James, while physical and great against the run, I’ve seen a lot on him that he’s not a centerfielder... don’t we want someone who can play that role?  Monte is already doing it right?  Swearing her is more the SS and if sua is still around, that’s a lot of S tweeters in the house.  Bucky ids Blanding as a centerfielder.

last note, we shouldn’t rule out Denzel Ward, given the uncertainty at CB for us currently.  Says here he is a lock down corner from day one.  josh Norman isn’t getting any younger.

4 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

If I was given the choice of drafting anyone I wanted for this Redskins team, this is who I would want in the order below.

#1 - Saquan Barkley

#2 - Quenton Nelson

#3 - Vita Vea

#4 - Da'Ron Payne

Saquan Barkley will not be there, but if either of the next three are there, I am running to the podium.  IMO, one of these four is a "must have." 

I am tired of this team being consistently unable to run the ball and stop the run.  

I think there is pretty much zero chance that Barkley will even sniff the teens unless he has something happen between now and then that raises huge character red flags or he has some major freak injury at the combine or his pro day. I also think it's unlikely that Nelson will be there; IMO he's a better prospect than Scherff and we took him at #5 overall. I think he'll go top 10. But if he's there at 13 I'd definitely pull the trigger immediately. I think Vae and Payne will be much more likely to be there at 13 and I think if it's the choice between them we'd go with Payne as Vae doesn't fit our scheme as much and we've heard that the Skins aren't all that interested in him, but that could always just be smoke at this time in the process so who knows.

18 hours ago, ultravin said:

if the skins side with the offense, then Q Nelson would be the pick IF he is available.  

if Z Brown does re-sign, then Vita or Payne would be an ideal choice.  I still have confidence in last year's draft of the secondary to continue to make strides but not enough to pick early.  if Z brown doesn't sign, then I would hope they pick up Roquon Smith to fill the inside linebacker.  and use the 2nd round on a DT/NT likely Tim Settle from VA Tech.

my 4th round pick would be Bo Scarborough, running back from Alabama. the guy is a freak! 

I'm always thinking I'll pick one position in the first then another position in the second round etc.  But we never know whether any particular position will have been picked clean by the time the Skins select in that round.  I think the Skins would be fine if they had Nelson, Vita Vea, Payne or Smith in the first round.  Gruden might freak out with another high first round pick on an OG but he or any of the others you mentioned would likely have an immediate impact on the team.  Fingers crossed!

I am not a fan of using the first round pick on a QB, RB or WR.  The QB would have to sit and that means the Skins get zero production out of the first round and 3rd round of the draft.  A WR will take a year or two to develop and the Skins are still in the process of developing their current roster of young WRs.  A RB could have a big impact but he's going to share carries so I'd rather look in the 4th round.  I think we are on the same page here. 

14 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

When all is said and done I think we end up with Minkah Fitzpatrick in the first.... and I won't be upset about it. Best Safety/CB in the draft. Game-changer.

That would be pretty sweet...he's a stud. However, I don't think I've seen any mocks with him getting out of the top 10, but who knows what will happen. Things will change and guys will rise and fall after the combine.

If we re-sign Z. Brown I'd like to see us take the best safety in the draft or get a top stud d-lineman....linebackers can be found in free agency same as we found Brown. Also, in free agency we have to get an impact WR to give Smith someone to throw to besides Doc and Crowder. Allen Robinson would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, freakofthesouth said:

also for consideration, Derwin James, while physical and great against the run, I’ve seen a lot on him that he’s not a centerfielder... don’t we want someone who can play that role?  Monte is already doing it right?  Swearing her is more the SS and if sua is still around, that’s a lot of S tweeters in the house.  Bucky ids Blanding as a centerfielder.

I can see what you're saying as far as James when it comes to that single high cover 1 type FS role. However, I don't think it's really due to any physical limitations and more to do with experience and needing some time to get to that point. IIRC he's only played in 25 games or something like that. In taking James high you're banking on him being able to learn and refine his game while also utilizing his freakish athletic abilities. He'd probably start out more in the box and not left on an island as much but hopefully after a little while you could start using him in that single high role as well since he seems to have the instincts for it. It's a bit of a risk if you're really banking on him being that cover 1 FS but probably worth it.

10 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

About Vita Vea. I don't think he is the type of NT Tomsula likes. I think was early in camp that he made some comments that he doesn't like the really big guys. He wants guys that are little more athletic. Now I must say Vea is big man with smaller DT atheletic abiltie...but it would explain why two weeks ago the rumour came out that we liked Payne for NT position and weren't a big fan of Vea. 

Haven't heard that rumor, but I've been off and on for Skins specific stuff.  Payne certainly has athletic ability.  His sidestep and swim moves are not common for DT's, he moves laterally well.  Really curious what his 3 Cone and Short Shuttle are.

Payne can't do some of what Vea can, but if the team wants the 1 Tech to knife into his gap quickly and prevent movement there, sure.  I don't think Payne can 2 gap well.  He seems really good at 2 gapping against the blocker in front of him.  But if a Guard comes up and doubles or gives Payne a hard jab before he climbs to the 2nd level...I feel like then Payne starts having some serious problems.

I think Maurice Hurst is bit more explosive and better as a 1 gapper, but Payne can do more roles assuming the OL isn't giving him extra attention.  Hurst has to hit his gap hard to be effective.

A few thoughts, Bibbs was re-signed pretty quick after the season, so I wonder if a Perine, Bibbs, Thompson roster is current setup.  I can't remember, but at times they had 4 backs last year, but I think Kelley could be out, draft pick or not.  There could certainly be a benefit to an RB, but I could see them going another way.  

I see all these posts about Vita and others in the past, not being a fit for "our style" NT.  Every time I see it typed I think that our type has continuously buckled against the run game for years.  So "our style" NT is no fun to watch.  Let's try something new skins!

As for the QB talk of drafting no one.  If a top 3 (unlikely), or even 4, gets to us we should have a good shot at a trade back.  It would be nice to get that 3rd rounder or higher back.  If a guy like Lauletta drops to the 4th due to team thinking he needs more development time, it shouldn't be a factor.  I could see Smith not wanting an immediate QB controversy (Skins fans could all use a break on QB talk), but having a guy 2-3 years away shouldn't be a big deal.  

18 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If we re-sign Z. Brown I'd like to see us take the best safety in the draft or get a top stud d-lineman....linebackers can be found in free agency same as we found Brown. Also, in free agency we have to get an impact WR to give Smith someone to throw to besides Doc and Crowder. Allen Robinson would be ideal. 

Assuming nicholson is healthy, we found our FS of the future. 

22 hours ago, PlayAction said:

I am not a fan of using the first round pick on a QB, RB or WR.  The QB would have to sit and that means the Skins get zero production out of the first round and 3rd round of the draft.  A WR will take a year or two to develop and the Skins are still in the process of developing their current roster of young WRs.  A RB could have a big impact but he's going to share carries so I'd rather look in the 4th round.  I think we are on the same page here. 

as i look at the QB Draft class I feel like there's a big gap between 1st and 4th rd. in terms of talent.  Thankfully we have Smith so don't have to force the issue.  I think I will like next years class better.

As for WR, I'd love to have an impact guy, but for which WR position?  We are obviously keeping Crowder, I'm expect Ryan Grant to be gone at some point.  I think you still have Doctson for next year, and you have Robert Davis who may have been on Practice squad for a while, no idea if he'll be worth moving up they could still extend Pryor for a year because of his injury (they showed a lot of patience with Galette after all)

But I half wonder if they will surprise us and reach out for an impact  Tight End.  I don't think they move on from Reed yet, but Vernon is Serviceable, but we may have seen the best from him.  I'm not sure what Sprinkle is at this point, and Niles Paul does whatever is asked of him, but I feel like we might want to start grooming a replacement for Niles, Vernonr, or Jordan.     Seems like Cooley was talking about some Tight End a while ago that might be an impact pick.

1 hour ago, Veretax said:

But I half wonder if they will surprise us and reach out for an impact  Tight End.  I don't think they move on from Reed yet, but Vernon is Serviceable, but we may have seen the best from him.  I'm not sure what Sprinkle is at this point, and Niles Paul does whatever is asked of him, but I feel like we might want to start grooming a replacement for Niles, Vernonr, or Jordan.     Seems like Cooley was talking about some Tight End a while ago that might be an impact pick.

My guess is that the Skins consider Sprinkle to be their developmental TE and that's fine for the #3 TE.  Niles Paul had a good career with the Skins and hopefully for him he'll go to as a special teamer to the 49ers or Rams.  But you are right about there being an issue with the TE position.  Reed can't be relied upon and probably should be considered a possession WR anyway.  I think Vernon Davis is more than serviceable but he was a short-term fix to the Reed problem.  

I'm sure Smith would appreciate an impact TE but there don't appear to be any worth the #13 pick.  I saw one mock with the Skins selecting Troy Fumagali from Wisconsin in the 4th round.  

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

My guess is that the Skins consider Sprinkle to be their developmental TE and that's fine for the #3 TE.  Niles Paul had a good career with the Skins and hopefully for him he'll go to as a special teamer to the 49ers or Rams.  But you are right about there being an issue with the TE position.  Reed can't be relied upon and probably should be considered a possession WR anyway.  I think Vernon Davis is more than serviceable but he was a short-term fix to the Reed problem.  

I'm sure Smith would appreciate an impact TE but there don't appear to be any worth the #13 pick.  I saw one mock with the Skins selecting Troy Fumagali from Wisconsin in the 4th round.  

yeah I wasn't sure one made sense in the first. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For the record, I think just about everyone goes every year. That is not unusual.

Whether they run or throw is a separate question.

Right. Almost nobody who is invited skips the medicals and interviews at the Combine--the real stars of the show. 

I'm sure a bunch of the QB's won't throw, and most of them won't do drills that would make them look bad. 

Archived