Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

26 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I'm hoping this is just for trade bait purposes... get the QB-needy teams' ears perked up.

Nooo way do you sign a QB for 5 years and then draft a QB with your 1st round pick. Next off-season, I'd consider it, but not now. Do you really want to immediately jump back into the QB circus discussion? And we especially shouldn't waste it on Mayfield or Jackson, two guys with plenty of questions. We will have some holes to fill coming out of FA, we need to find impact players in the draft.

I'm fairly certain that we'd face a stiff cap penalty until after year 4. I don't want to pay a guy $24M to sit on the bench.

EDIT: I believe we wouldn't face a penalty until after year 3, not year 4.

The way that tweet was phrased is ambiguous.  It could mean, "I've also heard rumors some have reported about Redskins interest in Lamar Jackson, I'll be recording a podcast about those reported rumors soon".  Which doesn't mean anything at all.

We are not smart enough to be pretending to be kicking the tires on a player, to pump up the value of 13.

That all said I do think Alex Smith is not a done deal and we should look at all the players, if for no other reason to firm up our BPA list.

maybe this whole Vea versus Pea at #13 is the wrong debate -- more on topic Mayfield versus Jackson? :)  Just kidding but interesting how this is taking off as for chatter.  Not sure it helps their trade possibilities -- wouldn't it make a team want to leapfrog over them at 12 if anything?

The #Redskins interviewed Baker Mayfield at the Combine per @RobertKlemko ....Due diligence and nothing to this? Or.....could they do the unthinkable & take him? What about a pick & trade to recoup assets if he's there? Right now @1067theFan 800-636-1067!

We're pretty much in win mode. We got our QB for the next 2/3 years. We need a star. Offense/defense, I have no idea. Well probably try and outsmart ourselves at RB again, like we did when we ended up with disappointment Jones in a later round. I also seriously doubt we invest in the Dline in back to back years. I hope we can trade back and pick the best QB in the 3rd, not that it's a good round for us. 

I also think this FO being on their own again will either want to make a splash or knowing Bruce, draft an expensive position at a discount like corner or WR.

I think we need to go DL and WR in free agency. I'm all for starting over at RB outside of CT25 so I'd get one in free agency too.

Early draft money should be on CB and RB, although this QB talk could get intriguing.

That just leaves Interior OL and ILB to sort haha...jeez we got needs all over the place.

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

I have been advocating for us to take Mayfield IF he falls to #13.  It's a no brainer to me.

If Mayfield is available at our pick I would be hoping the Bills would jump in to offer us there 21 and 22 first round picks.

HTTR 

Now for the good stuff. One of my followers sat next to Tomsula on a flight today. Tomsula is friendly.

10:25 PM - 8 Mar 2018

•  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I also think this FO being on their own again will either want to make a splash or knowing Bruce, draft an expensive position at a discount like corner or WR.

I was thinking too about the drafting an expensive position at a discount drill -- corner would fit that to a tee. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was thinking too about the drafting an expensive position at a discount drill -- corner would fit that to a tee. 

I kinda agree, do think CB offers a lot of value this year especially as it's strong crop.

i think the discount element is less of a factor now, I mean even LB and OL/DL contracts are shooting higher, the tag values in those areas for the higher tier contracts aren't massivley adrift now.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I kinda agree, do think CB offers a lot of value this year especially as it's strong crop.

i think the discount element is less of a factor now, I mean even LB and OL/DL contracts are shooting higher, the tag values in those areas for the higher tier contracts aren't massivley adrift now.

for me you if Fitzpatrick drops, its a no brainer.  I like Ward, too.  But I think both are gone. 

I don't think I'd go Josh Jackson or Hughes or Alexander at 13.  I'd trade down and maybe consider later in that round.  I wouldn't hate corner in the first but wouldn't love it either.

Anyone remember who was our consensus#1 pick last year, before Allen fell on our lap?

Rueben Foster? Malik Hooker?  Some predicted Christian McAffrey. Two of those Three aren't shiny offensive toys, but solid D building blocks. This will be Allens 2nd draft (or 1st depending on your opinion of Scotty McGems leaving his board in DC.) It will be interesting to see how they do. 

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Anyone remember who was our consensus#1 pick last year, before Allen fell on our lap?

don't recall a consensus guy.  It changed over time, too.  At different points I recall H. Reddick. Some had it D. Barnett.  D. Cook.  C. Harris.  T. Charlton. J. Davis.   When R. Foster started dropping with his baggage coming out, sometimes him.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

don't recall a consensus guy.  It changed over time, too.  At different points I recall H. Reddick. Some had it D. Barnett.  D. Cook.  C. Harris.  T. Charlton. J. Davis.   When R. Foster started dropping with his baggage coming out, sometimes him.

Thanks. I was adding to my post while you quoted it, but I find it interesting that most were predicting solid D players. Certainly not the hot jersey selling offensive toys that our FO is discredited for.  I think L.Jackson is a smoke and mirrors game. No need to have a distraction and 1st rd pick on the bench or beinfg pushed into action before he's ready.  I've been wrong before however.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

for me you if Fitzpatrick drops, its a no brainer.  I like Ward, too.  But I think both are gone. 

I don't think I'd go Josh Jackson or Hughes or Alexander at 13.  I'd trade down and maybe consider later in that round.  I wouldn't hate corner in the first but wouldn't love it either.

I think Fitzpatrick is overrated.  All of his snaps the last 2 years have been taken as a nickle defender.  I don't see ball skills, elite footwork and if he can't play on an island in college how is he going to do it in the NFL.  

Tremaine Edmunds and Derwin James are the most dynamic players in this draft; they are going to be studs.  If we can't draft one of those guys then we should trade out of the pick.  I would be tempted to draft Vita Vea though.  To me he's about the next safest bet in regards to our needs.  

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If any team is going to draft a QB in the first after promising the QB you just traded for, that you wouldn't, it's the ****ing redskins.

Thing is. You make that statement having no idea how the draft will fall. If Rosen falls to 13 you have to take him. I am not as high on the other guys (Allen, Mayfield and Rudolph) in particular. But if the Skins top rated QB in the draft falls to 13, whoever it is, you have to pick that player. Not having to give up anything to grab the guy you believe is a franchise QB you have to make the move. Lets not forget Alex Smith is a tradable asset as well.

Casserly just now asked should the Redskins draft a qb in this draft. His answer: absolutely.  Next question, do u take one early? He goes, you take things as they come. In other words, if someone u love falls in any round.

McShay said something similar about the Redskins in a podcast recently.

Not saying go nuts for a qb but if this draft is all that its cracked up to be, it might be a unique shot to get someone. I am not saying go out of your way to get one but if he is BPA you do it if you think its a franchise caliber qb especially if its 4th, 5th rd range.

@Skinsinparadise Honestly, a mid-late round qb that offers you even some promise as our guy of the future means we have a chance at moving on from McCoy next year.  

I’m also with you on corners.  Drafting an outside corner is a solid move looking at Norman’s future, but it’s a pretty poor short term choice, IMO.  

Edit: not saying it’s a good idea, but the idea of taking a qb early and trading Smith is intriguing.  I mean, I would hate to have given up Fuller, but now that Smith is extended...

Of course, by that time there aren’t likely to be many suitors for Smith.  

The better bet (if we draft a qb) is to keep Smith for a year.  

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise Honestly, a mid-late round qb that offers you even some promise as our guy of the future means we have a chance at moving on from McCoy next year.  

I’m also with you on corners.  Drafting an outside corner is a solid move looking at Norman’s future, but it’s a pretty poor short term choice, IMO.  

To me, it seems that Norman has lot the "it" factor he had when he first got here.  It seems he's not as fast or really as quick as he used to be.  I think we should look to trade him for a 3rd/4th getting some cap relief and use his $$$ on trading a 7th if we can get Honey Badger.  Just a thought.

Oddly, if you get a QB you really like down the board in the 4th or 5th round and are confident in their ability to be a #2 right out of the gate, you pay them like $500-600k a year over 4 years and cut Colt McCoy, who's counting $3m against the cap. Love Colt, but just saying, if we're talking about $$ efficiency and having that impact drafting certain positions, there ya go.

Does Ionidis or Sheldon Richardson have an ability to play NT in our base 3-4? I ask, because if we sign Richardson and still target a NT (maybe not Vea in the 1st, but someone like  BJ Hill in the 4th or 5th) ... and that NT becomes our base starter in the 3-4 ... Ionidis is now on our 2nd line, and I'm just not sure that's  a guy you want to take off the field. Bad problem to have, but just thinking out loud here.

FWIW, Sheldon Richardson is my #1 target this off-season.

Also, going on record saying that the smoke around Cousins not targeting or maximizing Doctson must be true. I am fully expecting a monster season from him in 2018. So if that's the case, and Crowder is your strong slot guy, a Ryan Grant or Albert Wilson could certainly be penciled in as your #2. Sounds like the FA is on-baord with this theory on Docston too, so while you want to get Smith as meany weapons as possible ... I bet we sign a Taylor Gabriel or Brice Butler type to be speedy (if Richardson is priced out) ... and we either bring back Grant or sign Albert Wilson. If we don't sign a speedster like Gabriel/Butler/Richardson, and just bring in a Wilson/Grant as our WR2, then I could see us taking a speed guy in the 4th or 5th rounds of the draft to round-out the core. 

4 hours ago, Dexter said:

I think Fitzpatrick is overrated.  All of his snaps the last 2 years have been taken as a nickle defender.  I don't see ball skills, elite footwork and if he can't play on an island in college how is he going to do it in the NFL.  

Tremaine Edmunds and Derwin James are the most dynamic players in this draft; they are going to be studs.  If we can't draft one of those guys then we should trade out of the pick.  I would be tempted to draft Vita Vea though.  To me he's about the next safest bet in regards to our needs.  

I really like both Edmunds and James but if we drafted one them we'd need to realize that both of them are far from finished products and are mostly potential at this point at the NFL level.

Edmunds is a huge athletic freak who uses his size and freak athleticism to mask some of his issues...mostly false steps, committing too early without being patient and reading the blocking, which leads to him biting really really hard on play action and being out of place. That can absolutely be fixed and he's not even 20 years old yet, but it will take some time and top notch coaching. But we'd need to be patient. He won't be a day one stud IMO. I watched one youtube breakdown of him and the guy summed it up nicely: "Edmunds has no clue what the **** he's doing and he's still the best player on the field".

James is kinda the same way, though I think he's more sound in his instincts, understanding of the game, etc than Edmunds. That being said, he won't be ready to play that deep single cover 1 safety position for us yet. He needs to be much more sound in his game before he gets to that point so he'll probably start out as an in the box sort of guy. But his potential is mind blowing if he can be coached up some.

Archived