Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

To me if Fitzpatrick falls to 13, I'd be just as elated as I was when Jonathan Allen did t 17 last year.  But don't want to jinx it so no more from me on that.:)

Right now I'd guess the locks to go before our pick:

Rosen, Barkley, Chubb, Darnold

Very likely going before our pick:

Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Q. Nelson, M. Fitzpatrick, T. Edmonds

If so, we'd want D. Ward, O. Brown or another tackle like C. Williams, C. Ridley to go before our pick.

The more i think about it, the more I think there is a decent shot Roquan Smith is there at #13.  There is certainly a shot that there would be a faller depending on what happens. You got some insiders like Breer saying Davenport goes top 10.

Lets say the Cardinals fall hard for L. Jackson and trade up. The Bears take Ridley.  Heck I've seen Vea go top 10 in some mocks.  This one could be interesting.  We could have a surprise fall like Fitzpatrick especially if I recall Koolblue said awhile back that Derwin James blows up the combine and that pushes him up as a solid top 10. 

I am a big advocate of trading down in this draft but with the disclaimer of no way I'd do it if we got someone like Fitzpatrick or another surprise player I like dropping down.

Top 3 ILB had some impressive combine measurements.

Roquan Smith came in at a much needed 236 pounds, rest of his numbers are solid.

Tremaine Edmunds came in as expected.  What wasn't expected is that Leighton Vander Esch has almost similar numbers as Edmunds.  Did not expect Leighton to weigh in at 256 pounds.  This LB class is not normal.

19 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Top 3 ILB had some impressive combine measurements.

Roquan Smith came in at a much needed 236 pounds, rest of his numbers are solid.

Tremaine Edmunds came in as expected.  What wasn't expected is that Leighton Vander Esch has almost similar numbers as Edmunds.  Did not expect Leighton to weigh in at 256 pounds.  This LB class is not normal.

That's big for Roquan because the main knock on him is being undersized -- especially if he also runs well.  Some think Edmunds and Vander Esch will have freakish numbers for their size.  I guess will see.

The other things I am looking for is does Vea as some say run under a 5.  I think of Denzel Ward's 40 time is freakish it might solidify him as an early pick.  Also wonder about Ronald Jones and Michel's speed.  Some say Michel is quick but not as fast as he looks while Jones is the real deal speed wise.

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Both are versatile players. Looks like Minkah had some nice special teams efforts. James can play that hybrid safety (more valuable IMO). I see Minkah as a good player in a great system. I see James as the kind of player that regardless of what team he is on, he's gonna be the best player on the defensive side of the ball.

@Alcoholic Zebra James is a safety that can slide up in the box and cover TE and stop run and also is more than versatile enough to cover deep zones. He basically can play every down in the game IMO. I don't seem in the niche role at all. This kid is on another level

You REALLY need to rewatch Minkah.  If you're talking about hybrid safety, do-it-all defensive back in this draft, then you're talking about Minkah.  If you want the most versatile DB in this draft, then you're talking about Minkah.

Look at the first few plays from the National Championship game, look at where he's lined up.

Play 1: Nickel

Play 2: Off-ball linebacker

Play 3: Nickel

Play 4: I'd argue Edge.  Press corner against Bunch, but from how the DL is lined up, he's got contain responsibilities and he immediately tries to get contain.

Play 5: Off-ball linebacker, he's the only 1 in the defense lined up that way.  It's a fake blitz and at the snap he has to cover ground to catch up to the slot (his responsibility).

Play 6: Strong Safety

Play 7: Nickel

Play 8: Cover 2 Safety (indistinguishable between FS and SS)

Play 9: Nickel/Off-Ball linebacker, kind of lined up between both spots

Play 10: Off-Ball linebacker, lined up over the TE, but doesn't follow him in motion, so I'm guessing a zone pattern match if the TE released to his side?

Play 11: Nickel.  Lined up against middle WR in trips on one side.

Play 12: Off-ball LB

Play 13: Edge-ish.  He's the guy there, but he starts moving towards the sideline (2 WR side with 1 uncovered) at the snap.

The guy lines up everywhere and is asked to cover everyone including in-line TE's.

Live Combine reports:

40 dash

Barkley  4.41/ 4.42

Guice  4.49/ 4.60

Chub 4.53/ 4.58

Freeman 4.59/ 4.55

Hines  4.39/ 4.38 blazing speed.

Jones just pulled up. That hurts. Love the guy.

Michel  4.58/ 4.55

Penny  4.47/ 4.47 Solid from Penny

Wadley  4.59/ 4.54 surprised he broke 4.6 in all honesty. Nice numbers for Wadley

Walton  4.64/ 4.61 slower than I expected.

A LOT of speed in this crop of RB's really a solid draft class.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Live Combine reports:

40 dash

Barkley  4.41

Guice  4.49

Chub 4.53

Freeman 4.59

Hines  4.39 blazing

Michel  4.58

Yeah watching too.  There were some people who knew both Chubb and Michel who thought Chubb might run a faster time.  And that happened.  As I posted earlier today some day Michel is more quick than fast.  At least that first 40 time indicates that.

Nice time for hard runners like Guice and Chubb.

Going to be interesting to see if we land Crowell as has been stated on ES when FA starts.  If we do will be grab another scat back who can catch passes out of the backfield, block for the QB etc.?

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Live Combine reports:

40 dash

Barkley  4.41/ 4.42

Guice  4.49/ 4.60

Chub 4.53/ 4.58

Freeman 4.59/ 4.55

Hines  4.39/ 4.38 blazing speed.

Michel  4.58/ 4.55

Penny  4.47/ 4.47 Solid from Penny

Wadley  4.59/ 4.54 surprised he broke 4.6 in all honesty. Nice numbers for Wadley

Walton  4.64/ 4.61 slower than I expected.

A LOT of speed in this crop of RB's really a solid draft class.

Was just looking at the result and wondered why Jones had such a poor time, but didn't realize he pulled a hammy. That blows. Though I'm sure he'll run again on his pro day.

27 minutes ago, LuRedskins said:

I’m all for penny is he Falls to our second rounder. With the solid 40 and the post about his 3.xx yards per carry after being contacted in the backfield.

Me too. I like Jay but not always in love with his take on the running backs.  When he went on the other day about wanting a bruiser type -- I didn't love that.  Cooley likes to joke that Jay and the scouts hate speed when it comes to running backs. :)

But Penny is the type that might meet all masters.  Jay said he wants a bruiser and well rounded.  Penny can play with power and hey he has speed, too.  Can return kicks.  Not a great pass blocker though so might take him awhile to crack the lineup if he's drafted here as he develops on that front.

Interesting to me that he's the one big name running back that I am aware of that they met with yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too. I like Jay but not always in love with his take on the running backs.  When he went on the other day about wanting a bruiser type -- I didn't love that.  Cooley likes to joke that Jay and the scouts hate speed when it comes to running backs. :)

But Penny is the type that might meet all masters.  Jay said he wants a bruiser and well rounded.  Penny can play with power and hey he has speed, too.  Can return kicks.  Not a great pass blocker though so might take him awhile to crack the lineup if he's drafted here as he develops on that front.

Interesting to me that he's the one big name running back that I am aware of that they met with yesterday.

Sounds like Guice to me. Though I doubt he'll last to our 2nd round pick.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The pass blocking isn’t a huge issue right away since they can use Thompson more for the passing downs. And hopefully he’ll learn.

Browns would be idiots not to take Barkley... They can 'gamble' on a QB at 4. Barkley is the most sure offensive skill player in the draft, that talent is not in every draft. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You REALLY need to rewatch Minkah.  If you're talking about hybrid safety, do-it-all defensive back in this draft, then you're talking about Minkah.  If you want the most versatile DB in this draft, then you're talking about Minkah.

Look at the first few plays from the National Championship game, look at where he's lined up.

Play 1: Nickel

Play 2: Off-ball linebacker

Play 3: Nickel

Play 4: I'd argue Edge.  Press corner against Bunch, but from how the DL is lined up, he's got contain responsibilities and he immediately tries to get contain.

Play 5: Off-ball linebacker, he's the only 1 in the defense lined up that way.  It's a fake blitz and at the snap he has to cover ground to catch up to the slot (his responsibility).

Play 6: Strong Safety

Play 7: Nickel

Play 8: Cover 2 Safety (indistinguishable between FS and SS)

Play 9: Nickel/Off-Ball linebacker, kind of lined up between both spots

Play 10: Off-Ball linebacker, lined up over the TE, but doesn't follow him in motion, so I'm guessing a zone pattern match if the TE released to his side?

Play 11: Nickel.  Lined up against middle WR in trips on one side.

Play 12: Off-ball LB

Play 13: Edge-ish.  He's the guy there, but he starts moving towards the sideline (2 WR side with 1 uncovered) at the snap.

The guy lines up everywhere and is asked to cover everyone including in-line TE's.

I didn't say he wasn't versatile, maybe more-so. I didn't say I wanted the most versatile either. 

But James is the better football player. his film demonstrates another level

21 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

But James is the better football player. his film demonstrates another level

If we're talking "football player" like McCloughan has dreams about, then it's likely Minkah again.  James has more length, but Minkah is the feisty one who will fight blockers.  Neither are phenoms at sure tackling, but James probably has the edge there, he uses those long arms to wrap up well.  Neither are (at least this last season) physical hard hitters.  Minkah is more willing and aggressive to get into the fray and mix it up, Derwin sort of dances around the edges of the scrum and waits his turn.  Minkah redirects to where plays are going quicker.

From what I've read, I see no reason to say Minkah or James have anything but good intangibles.  I've read that both are considered locker room leaders, avid film watchers, etc etc.

I see nothing on film to indicate Minkah Fitzpatrick isn't practically the definition of a McCloughan "football player".  I also see nothing on film to indicate Derwin James is clearly head and shoulders a better "football player" than Minkah.

17 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

OL Will Hernandez looks like a potential stud. Put a mean guy like him next to TW and our RB stable may not need an upgrade. Vea in the 1st and Hernandez in the 2nd would be a draft truly focused on the future.

I really like Hernandez, but I could see him creeping up into the first or close to it. 

Archived