stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

The Denver media guy night be on drugs, but his report that the "starting" negotiations for Cravens to Denver is a 2nd ... 

Good lord. If we swing that ... wow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The Denver media guy night be on drugs, but his report that the "starting" negotiations for Cravens to Denver is a 2nd ... 

Good lord. If we swing that ... wow. 

To me it would be miracle like to get a 4th rounder for Su'a.  

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, if you could choose between Nelson at 13, or trading back and getting say Wynn, Hernandez or Price late in the 1st, plus 1-2 picks (a 2nd and 3rd, or two 3rds - one early, one late)... what do you do?

How about Nelson vs Ronald Jones or Darius Guice and a 2nd?

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinking more like a 6th round choice but they do have 2 4ths and 2 5ths so it's possible we could pry a 5th from them.  If we were fortunate to get a 4th, I'd be very happy. 

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Out of curiosity, if you could choose between Nelson at 13, or trading back and getting say Wynn, Hernandez or Price late in the 1st, plus 1-2 picks (a 2nd and 3rd, or two 3rds - one early, one late)... what do you do?

Think i'd take Nelson assuming we've avoided guard in FA.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN '74

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree. I mean all logic would suggest that a 6th rounder at best for Cravens. 

As absurb as this is, is we get anything near a 2nd-4th rounder for him I'd suggest Elway and Bruce have been deiscussing a hell of a lot more and that the price is inclusive of some goodwill from Denver for something else.....seriously, nobody can think Cravens gets us anything more than a lower round pick at this stage.

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Let's say I sit at 13 and offered a trade like pick in 20's a 3th and maybe 2019 pick. Nelson is still on the board. 

I still take Nelson. To me he is a top 10 player in this draft, so getting him at 13 is great. I also think his biggest strenght is run blocking, one of our main weaknesses. The picks I get back don't have the same impact. Does other players are also good and could help our team but I think there impact will be less.

Based on a big board. I say. Guice is top 20 (so could be gone if you trade back), Jones probally end round one (probally not BPA if you trade back), Wynn and Hernandez are probally ranked between 30 and 40 so if you are lucky they are still on board with our second round pick and ranked high. But if I look at that...I say you could get very unlucky. Miss out on a RB in the first and miss out on one of the top guards in the second.  

Right now my best case scenario that looks possible is:

First round: pick an impact defender. In the next order: Roquan Smith, Hurst or James.

Second round: pick a player that helps our weakness (run stopping or running): Wynn/Hernandez, Harrison Phillps/Tim Settle 

I must say that Settle is really growing on me. Young, very athletic and looks very natural playing the postion. He always finds the ball. I think he can play different positions on our team. He is that type of player that now might not be the best...but if you give him 3 years with Tomsula people might say that he should have been picked in the first round. 

• Like 2

If Vea is there then let’s take him.  Don’t try to over think this... we have been missing the center piece NT of the 3-4 defense for so long...  even if we run more 4-2 subpakcage front  then making Vea and Allen as DTs would be awesome as well...

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

You got so many draft geeks saying Nelson is a top 5 player let alone top 10 -- be interesting to see if that mirrors NFL executives.  The hard thing about Nelson is he plays a position you typically don't double up on.  So if even they sign someone good in FA but not an elite guy like Sitton or Pugh -- I'd presume it takes Nelson off their board.  But judging by draft geeks and their mocks it would be a bit of a shock if he falls to 13.  Granted there is almost always a surprise or two like that.   I personally would take Nelson over trading down if he's all that he's cracked up to be.

On the subject of running backs if Doug telegraphed yesterday they aren't reaching for one with the big supply that exists and they aren't doing it in the first round -- if there is something to these mocks then that likely takes out Guice, Michel and Jones from the pool we likely pick from.

That would leave the pickings among: R. Penny, K. Johnson, Nick Chubb, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You got so many draft geeks saying Nelson is a top 5 player let alone top 10 -- be interesting to see if that mirrors NFL executives.  The hard thing about Nelson is he plays a position you typically don't double up on.  So if even they sign someone good in FA but not an elite guy like Sitton or Pugh -- I'd presume it takes Nelson off their board.  But judging by draft geeks and their mocks it would be a bit of a shock if he falls to 13.  Granted there is almost always a surprise or two like that.   I personally would take Nelson over trading down if he's all that he's cracked up to be.

Yeah I'm not expert enough on guards. I can not find the answer what the difference is between a good guard and an all pro guard. I have seen some clips where you see a guard do crazy stuff, like pulling in space or push one guy down and then burst to the outside to pick up an incomming blitzer. But in terms of %, how much better is you team result when having top guard vs having a middel of pack guy. 

I find it a hard position the value right. 

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we robbed Denver or their 2nd rounder this draft opens up way more. I’m not gonna get my hopes up over it though 

English is not my thing...

But isn't it possible that the tweet was written a little confusing and that he meant to say. Denver wants to trade for Sua Cravens, former second round pick. 

• Thanks 1

@wilco_holland could be. That was my first thought but it didn’t read that way to me. 

Just re-read it and he said “asking price debatable but I’m hearing they’d start at 2nd round”

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

12 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Nelson may be one of the top 5 players in the draft but I wouldn't be surprised if teams are unwilling to draft him that high.  Lesser players, notably QBs, get pushed up way past their immediate abilities.  So I do think there is a possibility that Nelson could be available at 13.  Even as a great player though I don't think other teams are going to give up a ton of picks to move up in the draft to pick a Guard.  They might move up a few spots but not from the bottom of the first all the way up to 13.  I think the most the Skins could expect would be a drop back of 4 or 5 slots in exchange for a 3rd round pick.  If that's the deal is the 3rd round pick for an unknown player worth it to you?  You take on the uncertainty of who will be available 4-5 slots back and the uncertainty of the players available in the 3rd round.  I think you would have to see who was on the board and potentially still available with the lower first round pick, e.g., could you be stuck with a reach for the players you want in the first?   On the other hand, a top quality Guard + a top quality RB in the third (deep draft) would be better than one pro bowl Guard IMO.  It's possible one of those three guards could be available when the Skins pick in the 2nd.  Risky.  Definitely looking for the OG, DT/ILB and RB in rounds 1-3.  How do we make it happen?  

• Like 1

I hate the medical part about scouting because I have no inside in it. But I have read that Nelson could have some red flags (small ones) because of his injury history. If he falls that could also mean that people might question that part of him. 

@JamesMadisonSkins I see it now. Yeah, that's our strategy probably. Start asking a high price and then work down. I think we should be happy if we can get a 4th rounder for him. Injury and mental issues don't look well for a long lasting career. 

@fordranger76 I think does are good numbers for Moore. A little beefier version of Stefon Diggs. Around same size as Pierre Garcon probably (can't find his combine numbers). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Thinking more like a 6th round choice but they do have 2 4ths and 2 5ths so it's possible we could pry a 5th from them.  If we were fortunate to get a 4th, I'd be very happy. 

Sua Cravens won the starting SS job with the Redskins.  I agree he's a head-case but a sixth round pick?  I would keep him on the team and have him play SS through the end of his contract.  Some fans want the Skins to draft a safety with the first round pick.  Keeping Sua Cravens eliminates the need and Skins can devote the first round pick on other positions of value and need. 

• Like 1

Re: "best guard evah".  It is indeed, more critical in football than in any other sport, to consider the increased marginal utility of a player of a higher caliber.  That is, as a poster asked, how much better does the GOAT at guard improve your offense than a guy who's a top-16 starter?  My guess is that G is probably the position where it least matters.  Sure, it's great to have the GOAT guard, and here and there it might matter, but he's not rushing the QB, spinning out of sure tackles, making highlight real catches that mortals would drop, or fielding a punt in zero-degree weather, hurdling a tackler, changing direction 90 degrees coming out of the hurdle, and outrunning the pursuit in for the TD.

:)  (Ya'all know which GOAT I'm talking about.)

• Haha 1

My issue going Nelson vs trade back is that I’m not sure how much he impacts the run game.  What I mean is that if that’s just one piece of the puzzle (along with TE blocking, blocking issues from C and RT, rb deficiencies, and scheme issues), how much does he help?

OTOH, we could potentially improve at C (with Roullier), TE (draft a guy to compete with Sprinkle), and at rb (FA or, hopefully, draft).  If Nelson is mauling guys and helps our short yardage rushing, that’s huge.  He would also help alleviate/stymy the interior pass rush.  

Tied to that decision is who is likely available at the picks we would gain.

The trade chart I posted a while back says a 2nd and 3rd for two trade backs to the late 20’s.  We’ve had some good success in the 3rd round especially - Fuller and Moreau most recently - and could really stand to get our 3rd rounder back... it’s a solid group likely to be available in the 2nd-3rd. 

Edited by skinny21

Seems like RB's are getting faster and there sure is a lot of them as stated by Doug Williams...

Jaylen Samuels. Could be a h-back or full back. Can run and catch like a TE. Paul replacement? I just envision him taking that jack of all trades position. Oh can return kicks too. 

• Like 1

So Patriots meeting with Michel.  As Grant Paulsen joked about today if Doug is looking at mocks as he said he's doing (for whatever reason) he would see that lately its not so that only one RB is in the first round.  Michel and Jones and Guice often in the first in recent mocks.

Jay talked today about wanting an all around type back.  He said a bruiser (hopefully that doesn't mean another power back) who can last the whole season.

SiriusXM NFL RadioVerified account @SiriusXMNFL 1m1 minute ago

More

Georgia RB @Flyguy2stackz: I want coaches to get a feel of the type of guy they are drafting. My first meeting here was with the #Patriots.

DXOa3fvVAAAf85t.jpg
Edited by Skinsinparadise

32 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Jaylen Samuels. Could be a h-back or full back. Can run and catch like a TE. Paul replacement? I just envision him taking that jack of all trades position. Oh can return kicks too. 

*Dude's 'vision' & versatility are 'off the chain'!!!

• Like 2

Just walked up to Sony Michel’s availability. First thing he says is he loves pass blocking. Yeah, he’ll be fine in Washington if drafted there.

Sony Michel has not met with the Redskins yet

Fan favorite Sony Michel at the podium. On NFL backs he emulates and his homework before meeting with teams. I asked if Redskins on list. TBD, basically.

According to multiple reports, Ohio State interior lineman Billy Price stopped his bench press after a few reps. Price then walked off while grabbing at his left shoulder/pectoral.