Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Keim:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35714/redskins-should-focus-on-front-seven-running-backs-at-combine

Vita Vea, DL, Washington:The Redskins want to boost their interior pass rush, so any lineman they draft at 13 must be a three-down player. Vea has drawn comparisons to longtime defensive tackle Haloti Ngata(Alabama's Da'Ron Payne is another to watch; Virginia Tech's Tim Settle could rise after the combine, too, but for now is projected as a late-first, early second-round target). Vea would give the Redskins another young interior building block, along with last year's first-round pick Jonathan Allen and Matt Ioannidis. The Redskins' line, and defense, suffered when Allen was lost for the season after five games in 2017.

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia: Last year, the Redskins were interested in Haason Reddick, a player with similar skills as Smith -- a little smaller but fast. Any interest in Smith depends on if the Redskins retain Brown. They have not always invested a lot at inside linebacker and if they increase the talent along the front they might feel they can go in a less expensive direction -- in free agency and the draft. Smith's potential to impact the passing game will be key.

Derrius Guice, RB, LSU: If the Redskins trade back, or select one in the second round, they will have plenty of options, including Guice, USC's Ronald Jones II and Georgia's Sony Michel among others. So this really isn't about focusing on Guice as it is the position. The Redskins will try to upgrade running back, but doing so means finding someone who can provide big plays as a full-time back. The big question: Which back can impact both the running and passing games?

Matt Miller's Stick to Football focused on the Redskins ... aside from saying he has no confidence in our front office, he gave us:

- Roquan Smith, ILB Georgia

- Harrison Phillips, DT Stanford

- Deshon Elliot, S Texas

- Mike White, QB WKU

- Darius Phillips, CB Western Michigan

Forget who he took in the 7th. But I love this draft. And like he said, he doesn't consider himself anything special, but he wouldn't trust Allen to make these picks. Always nice to hear. Anyway, I'd swap White for a WR and I would hope this draft would mean we take a RB in free-agency.

Another trades mock that Bleacher Report featured that I think is the best one I've seen across the board for a trades-mock has us taking BPA with Derwin James at 13. 

I think there's 4 players I would say "done, give them to me" at #13 and be thrilled. Barkley (no way), Nelson (very unlikely), James (probable) and Smith (possible).

James could make our defense dynamic. True play-maker. And if we trust our DL to continue to develop (and especially if we add a Logan type in FA) I think taking James at #13 would help put our defense over the top. He'd be elite, along with Smith on the defensive front, and would elevate our secondary despite losing Fuller, Breeland, etc.

4 hours ago, BattleCreekJ said:

Rd 1 Da’Ron Payne NT

Rd 2 Wil Hernandez LG

Rd 4 Dalton Schultz TE

Rd 5 Tony Brown CB

Rd 6 Shaun Hamilton ILB

Rd 7 Justin Jackson RB

Trenches 1st

My man Shaun Dion!  Dude is an absolute baller, could be long term answer.  I would be very surprised if Tony Brown fell to the 5th.  that 4th rounder would be better used for a nickel corner as that is seemingly the specific need in the skins' secondary.  I read Rashaun Goulden is a "plug and play nickel corner" and he could be there in the 4th.  Tons of CB depth tho and thats a really good thing, and I *hope* we take advantage of that.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Matt Miller said Darius Phillips from Weatern Michigan was also plug and play but raw nickel corner. Had Skins take him in the 6th

He's also a productive returner.  I gotta wonder if Torrian Gray will be looking to bring DBs from V Tech over, there are a couple in the mid to later rounds.  Also Levi Wallace, Kameron Kelly... if Donte Jackson is there in the 4th though you gotta pull the trigger.  I love me some Denzel Ward but I just think we can find a guy a bit later.  Even Holton Hill is getting faded but he's like 6'3" and can play.

Also just a reminder I love the idea of a Kyle Allen in the 7th or UDFA for QB depth.  Let him learn for a couple years under AS, he has "big time arm talent" and was I believe the top QB coming out of HS in 2014.  Impressive considering the dumpster fire that TAMU's offense ended up being post- Manziel.

Where’s the Indiana TE being projected right now? Imagine he will move up if the recent hype has fractions. 

These guys we tend to fall in love with in the mid rounds typically go a lot earlier at the end of the day. Or at least that’s how I’ve always seen it unfold. Guys this year I’ve got earmarked for that 4th-5th round range at positions of need who I’ll be curious to see where they end up:

DT Kendrick Norton

CB Darius Phillips 

CB/S Kameron Kelly

CB Kevin Tolliver III

WR Deontay Burnett

WR Keke Coutee

we’ll see eventually 

Also @JamesMadisonSkins I like Derwin James, I really do, and I think he's going to be good; right now he's a box safety.  The criticism is he isnt a natural center fielder. he was also surrounded by a lot of talent on that defense- off the top of my head, Derrick Nnadi, Tarvar McFadden, Michael Thomas, Josh Sweat.

I think there are other guys later that can produce; like Jordan Whitehead/Armani Watts/Kyzir White/Terrel Edmunds (va tech connection).  Plus I think with DJ and Monte and maybe just maybe Su'a, and Shaze... I dont know.  It just doesnt make much logical sense to last offseason sign a significant free agent, use a 4th round pick on a FS, use a 2nd round pick on a FS in 2016... and then draft another safety with your 2018 1st rounder??

I wouldnt be mad if we drafted him tho, he is quite a presence, just weighing it all out fam.

@freakofthesouth and remember he’s only played 2 years. Was a R-SO this year after being dominant as a true freshman and missing his 2nd season with an injury. So he’s young and raw. And while he was surrounded by some talent this year, it’s nowhere near what Minkah Fitzpatrick had at Bama and i don’t hear anyone knocking him for playing with 6 future NFL starters (Payne, Hand, Hamilton, Evans, Carter, Wallace, Harrison) from this draft class alone. 

I think we are in okay shape at safety. SU’a or not. But Nicholson was a 4th and Swearinger was a $4m a year safety. I wouldn’t chalk those 2 up as “penciled in” starters no matter what. Plus if James is more a true SS, isn’t Swearinger naturally a FS? And wouldn’t we be in good shape having depth there? Worst case you have Nicholson/James as your long term pairing. 

Also, the write up i just read said he can play CB and compared him to Darius Randle coming out as a safety and ending up as a top CB. If true they flexibility would help us. So Nicholson and Swearinger emerge as amazing tandem at Safety James gets to play CB. 

Anway, I get the concerns but i think with someone with his talent you take him and worry about where exactly he fits and who he displaces later on. The truth is he might be the one defender you can get that is a “stud” that we are missing to put us over the top as a unit. If it’s at the expense of displacing a 2nd year 4th rounder than that’s fine by me. Depth ain’t a bad thing to have as we found this year 

I keep thinking about this pick in the first and the more I do I keep seeing trade back. If Smith, Nelson, or Fitzpatrick are not there I say we trade. We need an instant starter. A guy with zero question marks. Someone that is not picked too high. Not one that can be molded. Or coached up. We are in a spot where the first rounder needs to be a horse. Can't be any guesses due to us needing depth at so many spots. I am thinking we will get a shot at one of the above three but if we don't I hope we do not take on a projected "stud". 

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I keep thinking about this pick in the first and the more I do I keep seeing trade back. If Smith, Nelson, or Fitzpatrick are not there I say we trade. We need an instant starter. A guy with zero question marks. Someone that is not picked too high. Not one that can be molded. Or coached up. We are in a spot where the first rounder needs to be a horse. Can't be any guesses due to us needing depth at so many spots. I am thinking we will get a shot at one of the above three but if we don't I hope we do not take on a projected "stud". 

That is my thinking as well. We have needs for a starter at NT, FS, ILB (if Brown doesn't come back), G, RB and WR. Luckily, for us, for each of these positions, there is a plug and play guy starter we should be able to take. 

NT - Vea, Payne

FS - D. James

ILB - Smith

G - Nelson

RB - Guice

WR - Kirk

I've been trying to strike a balance between the trade-down scenario and the most likely, which is to stand pat.

Here's the overview of the BR trades mock draft and why it made so much sense to me ...

- Cleveland takes Darnold at #1

- Denver trade up to #2 for Rosen

- Arizona trades up to #3 for Mayfield

- Cleveland takes Fitzpatrick at #4

- Giants take Quentin Nelson at #5

- Jets take Bradley Chubb at #6

- Bucs take Barkley at #7

- Bears take Ridley at #8

- San Fran takes Smith at #9

- Buffalo trades up to #10 for Josh Allen (giving up #21 and their 2nd not #22)

- Miami at 11 takes OT Williams

- Cincy at 12 takes OT Orlando Brown

All of these picks make perfect sense. The only one that MIGHT go differently, if I were to project things (also depending on FA of course) is to swap Smith with CB Denzel Ward at #9 ... but otherwise this all makes perfect sense ... whether SF goes Smith or Ward ... 

#13 leaves us with CB Denzel Ward, DT Vita Vea, DT Da'Ron Payne, S Derwin James, CB Josh Jackson, DT Maurice Hurst, RB Derrius Guice, ILB Trumaine Edmunds  ...

Really good spot to be in. Any of those players would be a solid player for us. But the more I'm reading, the more I'm seeing Vea and Payne in the 20's and Hurst being the "guy" to go first on the DL there. If we are dead-set on going DT, then there might be a chance for us to trade down with a team that wants to get an OT (McGlinchey in this scenario being the last of the top 3 left) ... RB Guice ... or one of the CBs. Worth noting that GB needs a CB and an ILB, and if a team desperate for a CB or ILB wants to trade up ahead of GB for them, we'd make sense. Would someone who's desperate for a CB be willing to throw us some mid-round picks to get to #13 for Ward? The compensation isn't going to be what many fans here have come to expect unless that trade-up is for a QB. And I'm not sure with Arizona, Cleveland, Buffalo and Denver getting theirs already (and presumably the Jets having Cousins), I can't see someone like Pittsburgh or Jacksonville going all the way up to #13 for a QB. They may want to jump the Chargers, who BR has taking Lamar Jackson at #17, but that's a pretty unlikely scenario.

So in this scenario, sitting at #13 with access to Derrius Guice (#2 RB), Denzel Ward (#1 CB), Trumaine Edmunds (#2 LB), Derwin James (#2 S), Vea/Payne (#1/2 NT), and Maurice Hurst (#1 DT) ... who would we take? My guess is it all depends on free agency. I doubt we go Guice there, but I could see us take anyone else. But my hope would be that we could get Vea/Payne later in the 1st ... and I'd be okay but disappointed if we settled for one of them at #13 with those others on the board

Let's say FA has us bring back Brown and Galette and go get an impact DL (Logan, Richardson, Poe) to go along with a LG (Cooper, Mewhort). I think that would free up #13 for either James or Ward and those would be the likely BPA picks anyway, which is the goal of the draft. FWIW, CBS Sports has Derwin James as the #4 overall prospect, and there's a very good chance he falls to us. AND if he doesn't it's likely because San Fran or Oakland takes him, which would push Roquan Smith or Josh Allen to #13, which would still be good for us (draft Smith, use Allen as a trade-down bait). 

I also think there are some serious dominos that can/will fall depending on how our coaching staff and management feel about the NT spot. If we truly devalue it, then I could see us going after a Sheldon Richardson in FA and maybe drafting a NT later in the 4th or 5th. Or if we pass on  a Richardson in FA, maybe we take a Maurice Hurst over a Vea/Payne in the 1st. Hurst probably being more of a true 4-3 DT who would play end in our front ... but since we're in the nickel so much, and he's a penetrating DT, he'd probably fit well next to Jon Allen in the nickel more than Payne/Vea. Same to be said for Richardson. 

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd jump on board with our big FA signing being Sheldon Richardson. Play Stacy McGee at NT and have Richardson and Jon Allen pair up on the nickel downs. Cut Terrell McClain after June 1st to save money (cutting now only frees up $1m, but if cap space isn't a concern, cutting him outright wouldn't be awful since it would free up like $6m next year). Then you can turn your attention elsewhere in the 1st knowing your DL is in great shape ... build the middle behind the line. Then if you think you need situational NT play for run-downs and McGee isn't the answer, go grab a guy like BJ Hill or Kendrick Norton in the 4th or 5th round, which would be more representative of the value you place on the situational position. I know the idea is Payne/Vea would be 3-down guys, but if there's concerns about them in that roll or their value in the 1st, then go get Richardson, draft a Nose in the mid-rounds, and take a safety/CB/ILB there in the 1st. 

3 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I totally agree the 1st rounder has to be a stud and no question marks. 

Man guys honestly every time I watch tape on Vea I am just not seeing it. Granted I dont have like the coaches tape, and I'm not a pro scout (yet!), but to me I don't see much interior pass rush push, I see him loafing, missing tackles.  He does make some plays but i mean, from where I'm standing Vea has some question marks.  He may be athletically gifted but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be elite in the NFL.  Plus Ford, you did the production analysis on him and it was lacking and to me thats a question mark.  Hard to pick someone #13 overall with a lack of production.

I would think D Payne would be a better fit tho I dont love him.  Roquan I like a lot but he is undersized and really does get pushed around some.  No doubt an elite tackler and great speed and great in coverage.  D James I mentioned some concerns but I still like him.  Minkah prolly wont slip but if he does then yes sir.

I'd be all for the trade back because the talent in 2nd/3rd as we know is pretty stellar and to get even one extra pick would be well worth it.

14 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

I totally agree the 1st rounder has to be a stud and no question marks. 

Man guys honestly every time I watch tape on Vea I am just not seeing it.  Hard to pick someone #13 overall with a lack of production.

I would think D Payne would be a better fit tho I dont love him.  Roquan I like a lot but he is undersized and really does get pushed around some.  No doubt an elite tackler and great speed and great in coverage.  

I'd be all for the trade back because the talent in 2nd/3rd as we know is pretty stellar and to get even one extra pick would be well worth it.

It seems like draft wizards are all over the board on Vita Vea.  He has tremendous athletic skills but also supposedly has been completely taken out of plays by lower tier players.  He's one of those guys that seems to be moving toward boom or bust status - anywhere from mid first to top half of the second round.  My guess is that if he performs well at the combine then there will be teams that bid higher based on his potential.  There are all-pro  DTs that take plays off - it's a fine line between saving energy for a big play versus being lazy.  

Was thinking a bit more about the roster this morning.  We have plenty of needs, both starters and depth, but I wanted to factor in/focus on viable, already on the team solutions.  Guys that have shown flashes and could progress into starting roles (or maintain a starting role), as well as guys that could be options for depth.  

Nicholson at FS, Perine, Sprinkle as a blocking TE, Vigil/Spaight playing next to Foster, Doctson at #2 receiver, for example.  I really like Nicholson, but I think his injuries bump him down to the same rough tier as the others - guys that might be ok as starters, even if we’d prefer either an upgrade or at the least better depth/competition for.  

Catalina, Kalis, Smithson, Harris, Marshall/Bibbs, Holsey, Moreau Vigil, Francis - these are guys that might be fine as depth players, could potentially challenge for starting roles, but they haven’t shown much (mostly due to a lack of opportunities).  

Missing off that first list are a NT, slot corner, DE to play opposite McGee, WR, and a G/C, so that’s what I look closest at in terms of FA.  Could be a pricier one, or a cheaper guy to compete.  

NT - Logan/Poe (Logan has the added benefit of being able to play DT), or a Beau Allen type

WR - Landry, Sanders, a Mike Wallace type, or a cheaper guy comparable to the Brian Quick signing.  

Slot corner - Robinson/Joyner (not sure about the cheaper options here).  

LG - Norwell/Pugh (don’t know enough about the cheaper ones.  

DE - this one’s tricky - I think we have several options on the team - Lanier/Francis/McClain/Hood - and this seems a decent draft for a DE.  

We go into the draft hoping for upgrades (or improved competition/depth) at DE, ILB, RB, OLB, FS, and WR, and we take a long look at corner, QB, OL, TE and whichever positions we went cheap at in FA.  It’s a lot, but at least we would feel like we have viable options across the board and can hopefully swing a couple/few upgrades (after getting a couple/few in FA).  

34 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

It seems like draft wizards are all over the board on Vita Vea. 

I've noticed some have him as a top 10 guy especially to the Raiders.  Some have him 10-20.  Some have him 20 and after.  The other guy similar to that is Calvin Ridley, though in his case top 10 or somewhere between 10-20, hot pick to the Bears or Ravens.

Christian Kirk is also a big all over the place guy, mostly back half of the first round, early 2nd round but on occasion he's highish in the first round.

Ronald Jones seems to be heating up in some mocks, I've seen him even mid first in a couple.  He seems to have leapfrogged with multiple guys as the 2nd best back in the draft.  Sonny Michel to some extent the same but a little less hot than Jones.

Peter Schrager from NFL Am, who usually seems somewhat plugged in said the other day the one guy he hears from personnel guys that's hot that hasn't translated to the mocks is Mike Hughes.  He said people tell him he's going top 15 even though the mocks are sleeping on the dude right now.

If so I think if Jones in particular runs some insane 40 time, wonder if all of a sudden the idea of drafting him at 13 doesn't sound like a reach.  Similar to how Christian McCaffrey crept up in the mocks last year.

Multiple draft geek types think Derwin James has an insane combine and that will solidify him into the top 10. 

Denzel Ward if often a top 10-top 15 guy, I think his speed might determine if he goes before our pick or after.

Last time Jonathan Allen didn't have that great of a combine -- granted not a lot of pressure on DTs one way or another.  Wonder if one of the typical top 10 guys in current mocks pull some mediocre numbers and they fall.

Matt BowenVerified account @MattBowen41

FollowingFollowing @MattBowen41
More

USC running back Ronald Jones II measured 5-foot-11 and weighed 205 pounds today at the NFL combine. Jones shows the lateral quickness/vision to slash through gaps on tape, and he has the long-speed to hit home runs once he gets through the second... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0760544066835322015-4 

Good brainstorm there @skinny21.  I just want to add in...

Gruden mentioned that he expects Moreau to step up and that he "has a chance to be a shut down corner."  Thats quite a statement, and that sort of means that he will be an outside guy.  I like the depth with Dunbar; Breeland, given the lapses we have seen in his game, I'm ok if he goes.  So yeah slot corner is the need and honestly the CB depth in the draft is so deep, they can find someone.  To me it could be anyone from D Ward who is fantastic honestly, might have zero question marks, and could find someone much later as well, many names have already been mentioned, they say Gaulden is a plug and play nickel corner.  on the other hand, finding a FA at CB is going to cost a lot of money just on average.  I feel the same way about WR and can't really give my endorsement to any of the options out there.

I like the notion that Monte came in last season, after missing all of camp, right?, and being thrown into a situation where the projected starter was on suddenly on IR, and really seemed to flash, physical player and great athletic ability, right? 6'2", great size and speed, and has shown the ability to get into that center fielder role.  Then he had the concussion, right, and what else was going on with him?  I can see him growing in year 2, and even Keim says the team really likes Monte.  DJ obviously played well, he's not the best safety in the league but he's good, still young, and became an instant alpha and you cant put a pricetag on that... if James is BPA and they pull the trigger I get it, but given all these notes, S is not the highest position of need IMHO.

@wilco_holland you're bringing up an interesting point here; some say OT is the safest 1st round pick.  We have talked about this before, if the need is at OG, and there is so much money tied up in interior contracts with Sherff etc, it wouldnt be unheard of to draft an O Brown or a Connor Williams or even a Mike McGlinchey, as long as they can shift to the interior for now as they are groomed to be T Williams' replacement.  I mean maybe even could consider moving Moses inside as he does seem to get beat some out there.  So, shuffling the OL if the right OT is there for us early is also something that is probably being considered.

Also real quick too, long post, but the guys avail at DT in the 2nd round to me are safer, your Harrison Phillips (right ford?!), Taven Bryan *might* be there, Tim Settle (who was born and raised a huge Redskins fan, I love that), Trenton Thompson, all have more chops, to me, than the two projected 1st rounders.  I always mention too that Tomsula might even find a guy late that has the right mix of character and coachability.  edit:  also dont sleep on Nathan Shepherd ES, could be a real gem.  2nd edit: i watched tape on L Lotululei last eve and honestly I saw more from him that I was expecting.  He was rated very high and then fell off the map for some reason but I didnt see it in his tape.  He has NFL blood and could be a steal later too.  Solid pass rusher and from what I saw has a great anchor. with he right coaching he could be a starter.

Same for OL!  I mean lets just be thankful we're not worried about C anymore thanks to the 6th rounder we snagged last year. I mean that was a good draft y'all.  Ryan Anderson is going to step up next year and lookout.  Maybe got a lock down corner in the 3rd round.  Maybe got the S of the future in the 4th.  Sprinkle too is worth mentioning, he can block and can catch.

Archived