• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Just watched the cutup of Phillips vs Notre Dame.  Phillips didn't go against Nelson much in that cutup, but all in all I thought Nelson won their battles.  Not handily mind you, but I give the edge to Nelson.

I recently watched it too. Yeah they didn't go head to head often. Looks relatively evenly matched when they did but yeah I'd probably give a bit of an edge to Nelson. Still not bad when going against a guy who is billed as a possible instant NFL All-Pro who outweighs him by about 35 lbs.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Digging in a little this eve on Kalen Ballage. His blend of size/speed is really incredible.  In practice he was clocked at over 23 mph, interesting read:  https://www.houseofsparky.com/2017/7/12/15962052/asu-football-kalen-ballage-runs-23-3-mph-at-practice

also his short yardage conversion rate is ridiculous even though he hadn’t even had 20 carries.  Small sample size but still! Wow.

AFAE9162-01CE-4DD0-88C5-B47F33887E49.thumb.png.a1bd111b51d8408b690d912d0dbf56f3.png

i think his production tells a different story as he did not have a large market share, but still, for a later round pick, he could be an absolute steal.

In this game he ties the FBS record for TDS in a game with 8.  This is worth a watch:

Here we have rotounderworld discussing Ballage’s intangibles.  Apparently he is also a great receiver.

• Like 2

ESPN's latest mock (I assume it's Kiper's) has Josh Rosen going 11 to Miami.  I can't see that holding up and it's just a mock in Feb, but that is dangerously close to where if it played out like that, I'd be highly intrigued with the Skins at 13 if he were to manage to slip past them, even with Alex Smith in the fold for a few years. 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

ESPN's latest mock (I assume it's Kiper's) has Josh Rosen going 11 to Miami.  I can't see that holding up and it's just a mock in Feb, but that is dangerously close to where if it played out like that, I'd be highly intrigued with the Skins at 13 if he were to manage to slip past them, even with Alex Smith in the fold for a few years. 

The problem with these mocks and how they unfold is most of them don't implement trades. Trades are just so hard to predict. So no way Rosen falls to #11 as someone would trade up. Maybe no one in the current 1-10 picks is a fit based on who is available, but someone would trade up, obviously ... that just can't be projected so easily.

To be honest. With the FA market of this year. You can just throw every mock draft away half way March. 

There are to many QBs that will change teams this years. And last years super bowl teams showed that you can really improve by trading for players that fit your team. 

14 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

Digging in a little this eve on Kalen Ballage. His blend of size/speed is really incredible.  In practice he was clocked at over 23 mph, interesting read:  https://www.houseofsparky.com/2017/7/12/15962052/asu-football-kalen-ballage-runs-23-3-mph-at-practice

i think his production tells a different story as he did not have a large market share, but still, for a later round pick, he could be an absolute steal.

He's going to do really well at the combine.  Unfortunately I think he's more of a workout warrior than he is a good football prospect.  Personally, I wouldn't draft him, but you know someone will because of weight/speed/combine/etc.  This is what I think of him as a RB:

* Not a natural runner

* Has no real cuts or change of direction ability

* Vision is lacking even when is head is up

* Too often he'll just lower his end and aimlessly explode at the line of scrimmage while hoping for the best.

* Pass blocking needs work so he's not a Day 1 3rd down guy.

* Tenacious with burst and power and will explode into a defender.

Would probably be a pretty good special teamer.  Maybe you can develop him into a change of pace guy or 3rd down back, but that's iffy.  We've got Chris Thompson so I'm not interested in spending a draft pick on a developmental prospect that has vision issues.

• Thanks 1

I’m with @Alcoholic Zebraon this one.  His athleticism is intriguing, but he didn’t do it for me at all as a runner.  Someone might roll the dice early, but for me, he’s maybe a 5th rounder... which isn’t what this team needs - we need a day 1 impact back.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m with @Alcoholic Zebraon this one.  His athleticism is intriguing, but he didn’t do it for me at all as a runner.  Someone might roll the dice early, but for me, he’s maybe a 5th rounder... which isn’t what this team needs - we need a day 1 impact back.  

I agree that upgrading RB would be fantastic, however, I have my doubts the team will do anything at all, because they have Perine, now Bibbs, Kelley, and CT all under contract, so, it doesn’t make a lot of sense, unless they outright cut someone, which I guess they could do.  Based mostly on this logic, I don’t think the team needs a day 1 impact back.  Though again it would be nice and I am hopeful we upgrade.

kiper has the eagles taking Kirk at 32.  I’m gonna paste in what their fans are saying about him.  He can actually be a role playing Rb too with massive high school production. He looks more like an RB than a WR to me, it’s fascinating.  Anyway I think his draft stock is going to increase after the combine for sure... def won’t make it to 32 I wouldn’t think.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Christian-Kirk-draws-comparisons-to-Odell-Beckham-115389873

NFL scouts believe Kirk is just beginning to scratch the surface of his raw potential, believing he can be a dynamic playmaker in the NFL. Kirk has drawn comparisons to New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham, with some scouts dubbing him the nickname "Baby Beckham."  

Kirk has the explosiveness teams covet, demonstrating the ability to stretch the field from the 'Z' (flanker) or be a nice security blanket in the slot. Kirk's elusiveness makes him a tough out after the catch and his a player that is very dangerous in open space, which scouts have raved about when checking out his game tape. 

6_7842718.jpg

Is Christian Kirk the next Odell Beckham? (Photo: Bob Levey, Getty)

Like Beckham, Kirk has the ability with his speed to take a seven-yard catch into a 70-yard touchdown based on his explosiveness after the catch. Kirk is only 5-10, 200 pounds, but his desire to be great is the the of player that fits the Eagles (see Nelson Agholor). He's quick off the break with his rounds and a strong pass-catcher. 

While Kirk seems like a natural fit for the slot because he hasn't tapped his full potential, he still can play both the flanker and the outside at the "X." He also averaged 22.0 yards on punt returns and 21.3 yards on kick returns in his college career and would fill that void immediately on the Eagles, but isn't projected to be a returner over time. 

Kirk is small, but so is Beckham and Brandin Cooks, who both use their speed and agility to create space and make explosive plays. That is his ceiling in the NFL..and the risk the Eagles can afford to take if he's on the board at No. 32. 

Dang this his article was very poorly edited.  And he’s 5’11” for what’s worth.

Edited by freakofthesouth

@freakofthesouthYour argument seems to boil down to - since we have 4 backs, we shouldn’t try for an upgrade (an impact back).  

1) we can carry more backs into camp 

2) never know what happens with injuries

3) we need an impact guy.  I haven’t written anyone off (especially Perine, but even Keith Marshall), but no one stands out really and they all have weaknesses.  We’ve missed out on top backs repeatedly recently and this draft has several well regarded guys that look like good fits for us and would likely be upgrades.  Yes, we could luck out with a later back, but I’d rather take our chances on a guy earlier.  Our run game is crap (and important to help Smith, the D, etc.), so I feel we need to go for it.  Draft a back, draft a TE that can block and catch, try to find a G.  

Edited by skinny21

*You think that the Coaches are 'Confident' that RB Keith Marshall is 'HEALTHY (Finally)'?!?

*And, that WR Robert Davis is 'READY'?!?

*Let's not 'forget' WR Zach Pascal (is He 'READY')!?!"

Edited by OlufemiBiz

I think our off-season plan will be the same as last year. Fill the roster and then you can go BPA in the draft. 

You can always cut a vet if a rookie is lights out in the pre-season. 

I do feel like the odds are pretty high to go D with first pick. I just don't see a lot of O standout players that could be available. I don't really like one of the receivers or TE at 13. Most o-line guys are more tackles then guards (don't include Nelson, think he is gone). QB, don't see it happen. Don't see a RB worth taking at 13 beside Barkley. 

• Like 1

The only spot I see for sure that the Skins will take is WR and that is due to needing at least 3 more on the roster. All the other spots to me are complete guesses right now. After FA I think we will get a clearer picture of it all. With that being said if they don't pick up a running back this draft I will be really disappointed.

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

The only spot I see for sure that the Skins will take is WR and that is due to needing at least 3 more on the roster. All the other spots to me are complete guesses right now. After FA I think we will get a clearer picture of it all. With that being said if they don't pick up a running back this draft I will be really disappointed.

Interior OL for me. Priority one on offense it to keep Smith clean and upright, although FA is good at G/C if we are agressive.

Im a chime in homies, with all my points about draft acquisitions bulleted below:

-I agree and *hope* we take an RB; there are a plethora of options in both FA and the draft.  One of the players that i think would be a perfect fit to upgrade the backfield, and would fall within the budget, would be McKinnon.  his sparq score for what its worth is off the charts.  like 130something.  also just again pointing out that the RB room is currently full and someone would have to be cut.

-I am in total agreement, all trades aside, that we should go BPA in the draft but also balance it with need.  so totally I think the positions mostly to be considered will be DT/WR/OG/CB.  Dont get me wrong, if Saquan falls to 13, its a no brainer.  I also love me some Roquan.

-OG interior, given the immediate hole where a starter should be, they would have to gamble to hope that a starting quality OG would fall to them in the 2nd.  This would be best case scenario but that pick will have multiple options for immediate starters also at DT and RB and CB.  OG is a little on the thin side in terms of starting material.

-WR in the draft is really on the thin side in terms of starters.  Remember- even with D Jack and Garcon in the heavy rotation, Doctson came in and made an impact early before he was injured.  The idea that taking WR in the 1st should be avoided because of the track record is not something I think is very...rational.  Only because there are so many variables that go into it, you cant avoid a position of need in the 1st because you're timid about how it has played out in the past.  I would love to see R Davis come in and contribute, great depth and great pontential.

-BPA might really actually be Kirk.  I have seen multiple mocks now with him going in the top 10.  He wasn't on a team than won a lot of games in the SEC, but watch him vs bama 2016, watch him be very effective against Fitzpatrick and others.  watch him vs LSU and how he outruns Dante Jackson on a wheel route, and breaks a bubble screen wide open with pure speed.  we'll know more after the combine but I think he's being kept secret; I dont understand some of the reports on him.

-I'm just saying the offense needs and will be active to support their new QB and they will need a piece that must be accounted for and guess what? thats not really P Richardson or any of these overpriced FA WRs.  Look at how much the Dolphins are tagging Landry for- 16 mil as a "slot" receiver.  after Ridley/Kirk it will get dicey as to who can come in and contribute at a crucial point in the team's development.  I like DJ Moore but I don't know if he's the guy... but he's a great 2nd round selection.

-Last year the team went defense with the first 3 rounds, so, they clearly are building the d.  Allen is a huge difference maker and we just drafted him. he barely played.

-the team still hasn't shaken the loss of D jack and garcon.  Pryor was a flop.  there has to be a solution.

-the cap situation is a little dicey with this talk of tagging cousins and just overall need.  Overspending on a WR would not be the smartest thing from my vantage point, but again if the team decides to do so and snag a big name then so be it, they must really like him if they do.  Certainly after FA, we will have a much better picture of how it will shake out, I see the team signing an OG and resigning Brown or a FA ILB... i also love me some roquan but i dont think he'll make it to 13.

• Like 1

Caught the tail end of it just now so I might be missing some facts.  But just heard Cooley will be involved with the TEs in the combine.  Coaching them up in some manner.  He said as far as he understands he will be on the field the day of the Tes, QBs, WRs.

He says he will go to town on taking notes and talking to players, film review, everything. He will be at the combine, Wed-Fri.  Back on Saturday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

What I’m seeing as of now, we need a starting -

WR (draft or FA)

LG (draft, FA, or take our chances)

ILB (draft or FA, leaning toward latter)

(possibly) slot corner (draft or FA)

depth at -

OLB (draft or FA)

SS (draft)

corner (draft, possibly FA)

We could really use a -

starting back (draft or FA... hopefully draft)

dlineman that can start (at NT) and sub at DT (draft or FA)

TE (draft)

developmental qb (draft or UDFA)

Other areas we could hit/use - FS (potential starter), ILB depth, oline depth, and a 2nd receiver.  I imagine all of these would be draft or UDFA only, except maybe a vet minimum type of FA G/C or receiver.   

So, in FA, I would look at a not-too-pricey receiver (Wallace, for instance, maybe even cheaper), starting ILB, OLB depth, a cheap olineman, and maybe good dlineman if we can still swing a big salary at that point.  If they can’t land a dlineman, maybe a decent slot corner.  

Ideally 5 mil or less for WR, 3-4 for ILB, 1-2 mil each for oline and OLB, leaving 7-12 or so for the dline or corner.  

Draft, I’m looking at LG, back, receiver, TE, corner, dline (if we didn’t land one in FA) - all 5th round or earlier -  and flyers at qb, S, oline and ILB.  

Bottom line... I think they need do their best to pull off a trade down to pick up an additional pick or two... and not just a 6th or 7th.  

43 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

-I'm just saying the offense needs and will be active to support their new QB and they will need a piece that must be accounted for and guess what? thats not really P Richardson or any of these overpriced FA WRs.  Look at how much the Dolphins are tagging Landry for- 16 mil as a "slot" receiver.  after Ridley/Kirk it will get dicey as to who can come in and contribute at a crucial point in the team's development.  I like DJ Moore but I don't know if he's the guy... but he's a great 2nd round selection.

-Last year the team went defense with the first 3 rounds, so, they clearly are building the d.  Allen is a huge difference maker and we just drafted him. he barely played.

-the team still hasn't shaken the loss of D jack and garcon.  Pryor was a flop.  there has to be a solution.

-the cap situation is a little dicey with this talk of tagging cousins and just overall need.  Overspending on a WR would not be the smartest thing from my vantage point, but again if the team decides to do so and snag a big name then so be it, they must really like him if they do.  Certainly after FA, we will have a much better picture of how it will shake out, I see the team signing an OG and resigning Brown or a FA ILB... i also love me some roquan but i dont think he'll make it to 13.

Here is the thing with the WR's though. We are going to have to address it somewhat via FA due to not having any. We have Crowder, Doctson, Davis, and Mo Harris. Thats it. We need a vet on there probably two. I could see them resigning Grant but then we need another vet to start. We are going to have to spend money even though the crop is not that good. Perhaps they do a trade like Cravens for a WR but who knows. What we really need to do is trade that 13 pick and nab extra picks. I would even trade out of the first all together. Reason being is there is so much talent in the later rounds this year in multiple spots that one stud pick at 13 will not overcome multiple 2nd rounders and a 3rd tossed in. Not in this class at least. Too much to be had this year in the second especially at spots of need for our team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Maybe we can wind up with 3 2nd rounders again and aerosol away the stench of the Thomas/Kelly/Davis fiasco. :)

I have nightmares about that draft still lol. That is my only reservation about the trade back still is all due to that moron Vinny picking. Man why did you have to bring that up haha.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Here is the thing with the WR's though. We are going to have to address it somewhat via FA due to not having any. We have Crowder, Doctson, Davis, and Mo Harris. Thats it. We need a vet on there probably two. I could see them resigning Grant but then we need another vet to start. We are going to have to spend money even though the crop is not that good. Perhaps they do a trade like Cravens for a WR but who knows.  

I'd happily swap Cravens for Martavis.

• Like 1

I have finished tape on CB and Safety. As always my rankings are based purely on tape and no off/on field issues are taken into account for these rankings. I think we have the possibility to draft either the best safety or CB in the draft at 13. And after losing Fuller I wanted to do the defensive backfield first. I will move to linebackers next and post my rankings on them when I am done watching tape. Here are my top ten CB's. I will post the safties later this weekend:

CB:

1) Denzel Ward,  Ohio State. Ward possesses incredible closing speed and ball skills. He does like ideal size. But we all know a guy who had the same rep coming out of college. I think he is a cant miss number one CB. Round 1

2)  Josh Jackson, Iowa.  Jackson has great size and is physical. He has great ball skills and is a threat to score when he picks a ball off. He lacks ideal speed and can get caught looking inside at times. Round 1

3) Jaire Alexander, Louisville. Fast, athletic and shows great coverage skills. Alexander got banged up this season. But he is a first round talent. Round 1/2

4) Isaiah Oliver, Colorado: Great size and athleticsm. Lacks ideal speed. Will need some work at the next level but has tremendous upside IMO. Round 2

5) Holton Hill, Texas: Huge size and ball skills. I know about the suspension. But I dont use that for my rankings. Hill is a stud at CB. Round 2

6) Greg Stroman, VA Tech: Great all around talent. Ideal size and speed. Good ball skills. Round 2/3

7) Carlton Davis, Auburn: Ideal size, good ball skills. Lacks ideal speed and instincts: Round 3

8) Mike Hughes, UCF: Decent size, great speed. Good ball skills and return ability. Round 3

9) Levi Wallace, Alabama: Walk on starter for Bama. Played very well for them. A little bit spindly and not the fastest CB. But a football player through and through. Round 3/4

10) Christian Campbell, WE ARE Penn State: Great size and speed. Lacks great ball skills but is excellent in coverage. Plays with a nasty streak. Round 3/4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1