Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Our D has been crap since Shanny arrived and switched to a 3-4.  IMO, we need to focus on that and add another front 7 stud with our first pick.  Vea or Payne at NT or Smith, Edmunds or Evans at ILB.  I think one of those picks would go a long way to actually giving us a formidable defense next year.  

This draft is loaded with RBs so we should be able to land a solid prospect in the 2nd.  TE is loaded too.  I'd look that way in round 4.  Then add a WR & LG in free agency, and the O should be fine.  But I really think we need another big time talent in the front 7 with that 1st pick.  

4 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

Kerryon Johnson all day for me in the second. Guice is a yawn. He did not impress me at all considering a lot of his highlights are against lower tier schools. I must be missing something with him but I just don't see wow when I watch him. You see it in Barkley and with Love's acceleration through the hole. I want to see a running back against big competition and for me Johnson showed that time in and time out. Would love him in our offense.

I watched Johnson some during the season but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to him and as I go back and watch him on youtube I really just don't see much there to be honest...nothing wows me. He seems to be patient and has good balance, decent power to break tackles. But he also runs very upright and maybe it's just me...not sure...but IMO he looks really slow when he hits the hole, almost lumbering. His acceleration leaves a lot to be desired; his top end speed looks "ok" to me but it seems to take him a while to get there. Patience is a great thing for an RB but you also need the guy to be able to hit that hole FAST when it does open up and I just don't see that with Johnson but do see it more with guys like Guice, Michele, and a couple others (not including Barkley because there's only about a 1/1,000,000 chance that he's there when we pick).

But that's just me and I could be completely off the mark.

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I watched Johnson some during the season but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to him and as I go back and watch him on youtube I really just don't see much there to be honest...nothing wows me. He seems to be patient and has good balance, decent power to break tackles. But he also runs very upright and maybe it's just me...not sure...but IMO he looks really slow when he hits the hole, almost lumbering. His acceleration leaves a lot to be desired; his top end speed looks "ok" to me but it seems to take him a while to get there. Patience is a great thing for an RB but you also need the guy to be able to hit that hole FAST when it does open up and I just don't see that with Johnson but do see it more with guys like Guice, Michele, and a couple others (not including Barkley because there's only about a 1/1,000,000 chance that he's there when we pick).

But that's just me and I could be completely off the mark.

Well a few things with him. He is 6 foot tall. So when he is lumbering around out there it could appear to some that he is high on his run. I can see what you are saying there. However if he were too high people would be blowing him up. That's not true. Infact this guy falls forward on almost every carry. He isnt a guy that goes down quick at all. The patience to find holes is the best part of his game and reminds people alot of Bell. Not that he is Bell of course. Top end he really isnt a homerun threat but I think Thompson fills that role nicely. He blocks very well. I mean very well. And is not afraid to do it. Is a good receiver as well. I just love him. When I think about having Thompson and Perine we need a do it all kind of back. He fits square in the middle of both of them. However much like everyone else here I might be completely wrong and look like an ass after the draft when he goes 5th round haha. 

If I had to guess right now, I’d say that the Redskins will do nothing at running back. I know that will make a lot of fans mad, but be prepared for it. I think they want to see Perine develop and there still is faith in Rob Kelley. Perhaps they will utilize Chris Thompson a little more on first and second down. But this team just doesn’t invest much at the running back position. They would rather develop a good tandem than have one bell cow runner. If they do add a RB I’d say they’ll go with either a lower-tier free agent or a later-round draft pick.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-what-will-redskins-do-running-back?utm_content=bufferd348b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Other stuff via talk radio and surfing the net.  If true:

980 via Sheehan-Cooley:  one of Alex Smith's conditions as for where he wanted to go to was assurances that team both would sign him to a long term deal and not draft a QB this year.

Keim has an article that more or less says they are very unlikely to draft Roquan Smith if Zach Brown is resigned. 

10 minutes ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*Imagine VITA VEA(No. 50), DT/NT, WASHINGTON HUSKIES - under DL Coach JIM TOMSULA's Tutelage:

Hes gonna be great but faded a little because he’s a NT and his pass rushing chops are a little lacking they say.  I’m saying we can use Tomsula to develop even a 2nd rounder or later.  We just invested a 1st rounder on DL and he didn’t even play 5 games so it seems like it’s a more of a need than it is.  I’m saying 

Taven bryan

tim settle

Derrick Nnadi 

harrison Phillips

what about greg Gaines? He looks pretty dang good at stuffing the run too...

tons of mid round talent on the DL.  

WR there are some players avail that are fast but it honestly looks like c Kirk is in a class of his own, runs all the routes and is polished. We need a day 1 WR so getting one later may not work.

i heard McShay talking about how you have creators on offense and that takes longer to develop that skill, and on defense, you have disrupters, and they can come in and make an impact much sooner.  So if you have some mid round players, like a Fatukasi for example, maybe they are more raw prospects, but have the talent, just not the production, what’s better than Tomsula getting in there and finding his own linemen to develop... 

i also think vea would be fantastic and I wouldn’t complain. Just making the point that dL can be had later.  If Kirk turns out to be the fastest WR we’d have to really think about that.

Free agency will be telling. I just hope we get either a Guard or speed WR on offense since it’s unliekly we can get impact guys at both in the draft. I’m with everyone on here gushing over Kirk ... but to go WR in Round 1 I would just hope we used FA to address other positions.

Now say we bring back the keys on defense (Brown, Gallette, Murphy) and sign LG Pugh or Norwell (will be pricy) and a NT/DL like Logan or even a stop gap like Justin Ellis ... or even a Sheldon Richardson (to play end and kick McGee inside permanently). Then I’m totally fine going skill position with our first two picks and grabbing speed. 

DL of Allen, Richardson/Logan/Ellis, Ionidis, McGee, McClain would be excellent. EDGE and ILB wold be set. Then going Kirk-Chubb is doable with 1-2

I’d prefer to build the lines through the draft but we do need speed so hard to argue going after it early.

christian Kirk + Sony Michel would be the ideal scenario there, but I can’t see Michel falling to our 2nd round pick 

This is a pretty deep QB class so we could probably get a 2nd round talent in the 4th round or 3rd if we somehow recouped that pick by trading back, etc. IMO it would be silly to somehow "guarantee" that you won't take a QB in the draft in a FA QB's contract, especially when said QB will be 34 years old this season. What happens if there is a bizarre fluke and a sure-fire top 3 QB pick were to fall to us at 13? Might sound like a long shot but lots of draftniks had Allen as a likely top 5 pick last year and he dropped all the way to 17 so you never know what could happen. 

@JamesMadisonSkins It looks like 2nd round we could have options at OG, RB, DT, and even QB.  There could be some options at WR too if we go a different direction in the 1st but none that could contribute immediately radially like Kirk/Ridley.  I am super high on Taven Bryan, very raw but give him the right coach and he can be JJ Watt ish.  Tim Settle too is extremely disruptive.  Isiah Wynn could be there in the 2nd, will hernendez, would both be great o line additions, and after the 2nd o line kinda dries up a bit maybe?  

so yeah I’m with you bro, let’s find that vet anchor in FA and pair that contract and experience with our prized bull in Johnathan Allen, who is better than daron Payne and Vita Vea I think, though all are impressive!  The coaching here will continue to play a big role. I see us finding edge somewhere be it Josh Sweat or whoever to get us some speed on the edge if we cant resign Trent Murphy or galette, but again great depth late in the draft at DL.

@mistertim I agree completely that it would be silly to guarantee not taking a QB, especially with this QB class, these top 5 guys are going to redefine the league a little.  Will be tough to pass on either Lamar or mason in the 2nd. That said, they obviously saw something in the late round QBs from the senior bowl and beyond.  I think Kyle Allen is worth a late round flyer.  Alex Smith though, you gotta figure, they thought was the best bet for the team, a vet that can run the whole playbook.  Hopefully one of the QBs will fall to us in the 1st and another team will really want to snag them and will give us at least one extra pick in the first 3 rounds. If we draft QB too early it will be a distraction but also understandable.  Lots of ways to slice the pizza 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had to guess right now, I’d say that the Redskins will do nothing at running back. I know that will make a lot of fans mad, but be prepared for it. I think they want to see Perine develop and there still is faith in Rob Kelley. Perhaps they will utilize Chris Thompson a little more on first and second down. But this team just doesn’t invest much at the running back position. They would rather develop a good tandem than have one bell cow runner. If they do add a RB I’d say they’ll go with either a lower-tier free agent or a later-round draft pick.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-what-will-redskins-do-running-back?utm_content=bufferd348b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Well luckily it's just a guess. But if that is true, I don't get it at all. Rob Kelley and Perine are absolutely no threat in the passing game and we don't really run them to the outside because they lack the speed. It totally makes sense to develop Perine because he has shown some promise at the end of the year. But in this year's draft you can easily land a first round talent at RB in the second and it could immediately turn our running game around.

If Perine and Kelley are in the game and you expect a run, just stuff the middle. What's the threat they are going to bounce this run outside? And then we wonder why we get 1 yard max with every first down run. Thompson is great but he is also a bit too small to constantly run him up the middle.

We need a guy that has a skillset that keeps defenses serious, because one mistake can lead to a TD any given moment. And that includes every type of run or pass. We need a running back that can punish opposing defenses.

Just imagine the combo of Ronald Jones, Perine and Thompson. Jones for first and second down. Thompson on third downs and Perine for short yardage situations and as a backup for Jones. I guess a man can dream...

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Other stuff via talk radio and surfing the net.  If true:

980 via Sheehan-Cooley:  one of Alex Smith's conditions as for where he wanted to go to was assurances that team both would sign him to a long term deal and not draft a QB this year.

Keim has an article that more or less says they are very unlikely to draft Roquan Smith if Zach Brown is resigned. 

I understand the point that does two are pretty much the same. Traditionaly you would have one brick wall that is tackling people (Mason Foster right now) and one athlete who does the sideline to sideline stuff (Zach Brown). I also agree with point of Keim that these athletic kind of LB's need to have a strong Dline. They will not go one-on-one vs olineman. They need space. So to get the most of them, you need a strong D-line. 

But....that thinking inside a box! Thinking that a 3/4 D has two types of ILB's.  That Smith would not add a hole lot when you have Brown. I think Smith is so athletic that you can use him at the dime LB spot instead of a safety. Look at how Rams use Barron. I wouldn't mind drafting him after signing Brown. 

If we have both Brown and Smith I would run a little more 4 man fronts on the D side. But that's no probleme. Kerrigan can put his hand in the ground to be the 4th one or Preston Smith. 

About Vita Vea. I don't think he is the type of NT Tomsula likes. I think was early in camp that he made some comments that he doesn't like the really big guys. He wants guys that are little more athletic. Now I must say Vea is big man with smaller DT atheletic abiltie...but it would explain why two weeks ago the rumour came out that we liked Payne for NT position and weren't a big fan of Vea. 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I feel like if this is true they are going to be behind the 8 ball. A trend is happening where teams are investing more and more in the good running backs. I feel like that if this is indeed the case they are hamstringing themselves needlessly.

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is a pretty deep QB class so we could probably get a 2nd round talent in the 4th round or 3rd if we somehow recouped that pick by trading back, etc. IMO it would be silly to somehow "guarantee" that you won't take a QB in the draft in a FA QB's contract, especially when said QB will be 34 years old this season. What happens if there is a bizarre fluke and a sure-fire top 3 QB pick were to fall to us at 13? Might sound like a long shot but lots of draftniks had Allen as a likely top 5 pick last year and he dropped all the way to 17 so you never know what could happen. 

I agree with your take.  but to the this point-- Cooley-Sheehan didn't give the impression it was in the contract but it could have been I'll give you my word type of agreement with his agent.  The way they said it was Alex didn't want his heir apparent drafted right away in this draft.

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought we were a BPA team.  I understand excluding QB from that, but not LB.  Especially when you need at least two stack linebackers two run this scheme.  If Smith is BPA then he needs to be the pick.  Extending Zach Brown shouldn't be a factor.

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

About Vita Vea. I don't think he is the type of NT Tomsula likes. I think was early in camp that he made some comments that he doesn't like the really big guys. He wants guys that are little more athletic. Now I must say Vea is big man with smaller DT atheletic abiltie...but it would explain why two weeks ago the rumour came out that we liked Payne for NT position and weren't a big fan of Vea. 

Yeah I agree. Vea is a really good player but he seems to be more of a 2 gap space eater in an old school 3-4 where that's essentially the sole role of your DL, and then the LBs flow downhill and make the plays. Nothing wrong with that system necessarily but we run more of a 3-4 Under type scheme as a general "base", where the DL are more 1 gappers who try to get penetration into the backfield and are meant to rush the QB in passing situations as well. We definitely do have a use for a huge body but it's more situational and not as much of a base package. IMO you don't draft a guy at 13th overall as a situational player.

That being said, Vea does have some decent sack numbers for a guy his size. However, in watching him those seem to be mostly effort and brute force/coverage sacks. He doesn't really appear to have much as far as pass rush moves, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they Skins don't go for him if he's there.

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I thought we were a BPA team.  I understand excluding QB from that, but not LB.  Especially when you need at least two stack linebackers two run this scheme.  If Smith is BPA then he needs to be the pick.  Extending Zach Brown shouldn't be a factor.

Not sure what we are now.  New operation.  The gang fulfilled a plan that was laid out for them last time.  This time its their baby completely with a new guy running the draft and a new guy overseeing that guy. 

There is some talk that the team has a very win now approach to this season (seems the implication is the man upstairs at Redskins Park's patience is running thin) If so if they think they are stacked at MLB if Zach Brown is back -- Keim's thoughts about they'd skip Roquan Smith seems consistent with that.  Keim was pretty accurate about their approach last off season.  He wasn't perfectly on the money but every now and then he slips that his take about their off season is predicated on sources with the team.  I recall he was the dude for example who was out front on the Calais Campbell interest last year.

This year his rap has been wide receiver who is a deep threat and D line.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35562/redskins-remain-stuck-in-the-middle-for-super-bowl-contention

One question will be how they handle their first full offseason with a realigned front office. They survived last offseason after firing general manager Scot McCloughan, but a lot of work already had been done. They’re more settled, but the Redskins will have some key people in roles they did not occupy a year ago.  It helps that coach Jay Gruden is considered a good talent evaluator.

Is there a deep threat guy who is worth taking at 13 though? I know lots of people like Christian Kirk however I think 13 would be a big reach for him but at the same time I also have a feeling he might not last until our pick in the 2nd. If we wanted to go WR I'd prefer to go BPA at 13 and then pick up Anthony Miller in the 2nd. I actually like him a bit more than Kirk. That being said, I'd also prefer that we went RB in the 2nd. This RB class is really deep so the guys available in the 2nd would be likely 1st round picks in most other years.

19 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

@clskinsfan Thank you for the work! 

Question that I have: which back  fits our current group the best? Is best complementary to Chris Thompson (rest of the group has next to no value). Johnson and Chubb are my top targets. 

I love Jones as a fit for us. If he is there in the second I would be running my card up to the podium. But I dont think he will be there. Chubb and Guice might be there. People may be a little concerned about Guice's injury history. 

37 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I love Jones as a fit for us. If he is there in the second I would be running my card up to the podium. But I dont think he will be there. Chubb and Guice might be there. People may be a little concerned about Guice's injury history. 

and Chubbs... that was a nasty knee injury. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Their line has always been "Best Redskin Player Available". It seems like BPA, that fits what they want to do.

I don't think they reach for need, but it's not pure BPA either.

59 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I really like Guice but I agree about injury history. Not only that but the overall way he runs as well. Don't get me wrong, I love hard nosed players who relish contact, but in a RB that is almost guaranteed to result in a lower shelf life and possible injuries. That being said, if he were there for our 2nd round pick, I'd definitely pull the trigger. But I have doubts that he will be.

Archived