• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019

9/15/19

Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.

Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 

Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.

So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?

Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.

And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.

So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.

Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton

Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 

stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Before the previous college season Scot liked Guice over Barkley.  Interesting.  I know he thinks Barkley is a stud because I recall him saying so on twitter.

Personally, I'd kill for Barkley.  But Guice is my RB man crush this year (in terms of having a realistic shot at getting).  Last year for me it was Cook.  

I think Guice is the better pure RB but Barkley is a better receiver. In today's game I rather have a RB with receiving skills then just a pure runner. Makes your O way less predictable and more diverse. 

So I think for every team the order is going to be different. If you are more power run team that doesn't ask a lot from the back as a receiver. You might put Guice at number one. 

I'm not sure if Guice can develop in a good receiving back. From some catches and drops I have seen from him it doesn't look very natural. But he can work on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The NFL scouting combine participant list has been revealed. Just about everybody you could want to see will be there including the top 5 QB's, which is abnormal. It should be fun to watch this year.:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Question will be:

- Are the QB's going to throw any balls?

- Which top prospect is going to get injured doing a stupid drill in his underwear and because of that lose money. 

I kinda got this love & hate relationship with the combine. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Alex Smith being here reinforces the notion that if there's a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round with FQB potential you take him. Having the luxury of redshirting a rookie QB for a season or two is a valuable asset to have. QBs are helped immensely IMO when they get to do this especially on average to bad rosters. There are numerous holes to fill but if you think there's a player good enough to be a FQB if he sits a season or two it's a worthy investment. 

Let's do that 2 years from now.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

There is clearly something wrong when our second fastest player just turned 34 years old. But I guess it makes sense when you think about how our starting runningback is widely known as FAT and our 2nd leading receiver (in terms of receptions) ran a blazing 4.6 40 4 years ago at the combine. 

I was watching the Superbowl thinking "why are all the RBs and WRs on both teams moving twice as fast as the ones on the Redskins roster?"

• Like 1

PFF going to town on Derwin James

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-derwin-james-is-exactly-what-the-nfl-needs-on-defense

Derwin James is exactly what the NFL needs on defense

BY STEVE PALAZZOLO • FEB 6, 2018

The word “tweener” used to be a knock on a defensive player, often referring to one who lacks enough size for one position, but is perhaps too slow for another. Today, the evolution of offenses dictates that ‘tweeners’ are necessary to combat the ever-growing creativity of offensive coordinators. Box safeties are more than just run defenders as they must be able to match up against tight ends in man coverage while showing the range and instincts to be in position in short zone coverages. Throw in creative blitzes and pass-rush opportunities, and box safeties have gone from run-first afterthoughts to defensive chess pieces.

That’s exactly what Florida State’s Derwin James brings to the table.

James burst onto the scene as a true freshman in 2015, taking over as a starter in Week 6 and never looking back. He went on to lead the nation with the top overall PFF grade at 91.2, while ranking second as a pass-rusher, 31st in coverage and 13th against the run. That kind of three-way impact is rare in the secondary, especially for a true freshman and especially for a player like James who did so while performing multiple unique roles on the Florida State defense. The 2016 season saw James limited to only 100 snaps due to injury, but he bounced back in 2017 to once again lead all safeties with a 92.0 overall grade consisting of the No. 2 grade both as a pass-rusher and in coverage to go with the No. 15 grade against the run.

With 1,637 career snaps under his belt, James has established himself as the clear-cut best safety in the nation when healthy, and the same skills that led to his gaudy PFF grades will translate at the next level.

Coverage versatility

When describing the best tight ends in the NFL, the phrase “too big for cornerbacks and safeties, but too quick for linebackers” is uttered often. James is a potential trump card for tight ends as he has 6-foot-3 size, but also the quicks to stick with slot receivers. That combination of size and athleticism makes James a viable option to match up with opposing tight ends in man coverage.

There’s more to James’ game, however, and when watching the tape to find his best plays in coverage, there are many similarities to New York Giants safety Landon Collins who has become one of the best downhill safeties in the league. Collins makes many of his best plays from a “quarters” alignment or a late shift into box, where he can play downhill against the run or erase underneath routes in coverage. James has a strong menu of similar plays littered about his tape.

Tough to see the entire play, but James breaking on the ball from a “split” safety look.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Safety play is a complete game changer. We've overlooked it for a very long time.

I bounce back and forth between DL and James at 13. Something to be said for either angle I suppose. If we sign a premier interior DL in FA maybe we opt for Safety at 13. IF he’s there. Feel like he will go earlier than currently being projected by mocks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PlayAction said:

I was watching the Superbowl thinking "why are all the RBs and WRs on both teams moving twice as fast as the ones on the Redskins roster?"

You want to do it when the incumbent has a good couple years left in him which is probably now and not when he's 37. 

Adding a Paul Richardson in FA + rolling dice on Antonio Callaway in the 6/7 round paired with a fast early round RB will help immensely. 

Not sure what my thoughts are on Jerick McKinnon as a FA addition but he’s a blazer too. Just prefer to draft one and this class is stacked. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I bounce back and forth between DL and James at 13. Something to be said for either angle I suppose. If we sign a premier interior DL in FA maybe we opt for Safety at 13. IF he’s there. Feel like he will go earlier than currently being projected by mocks

Feel the same way. Especially if James blows up the Combine, and the dude is an athletic freak, he might be out of reach. But if both he and for example Vea are there I seriously don't know who I'd rather have. On the other hand I would be totally happy with either players.

I don't necessarily think we must draft safety because we got DJ and Nicholson who both had decent outings and are still young but if you can get a game changer it doesn't really matter I guess. Especially since Nicholson already dealt with so many injuries in just his first year in the league. Let's see what happens with Cravens and who we bring in during free agency but at this point James is definitely be on my radar.

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'd prefer James blow up the combine and go before our pick and leave Fitzpatrick there for us. As great as SS can be, a versatile FS who can play CB is much more valuable and rare IMO. 

16 hours ago, PlayAction said:

If a QB they like in the 2nd/3rd is there in the 4th, they better take him.  I agree not in the second.

I have finished my RB grades. As always my ranking are based purely on film. No off field issues or injuries are taken into account. This draft is extremely DEEP at the RB position. Which is good news for us because we certainly need one. I am now finished with the offensive side of the ball and will begin tape on defense this week. I will be starting with CB as we may have the ability to draft the best one in the draft at 13.

1)  Saquon Barkley, WE ARE Penn State. Clearly the number one back in this draft and my number one player in the entire draft. An unbelievable mix of power, speed and balance. A threat to take the it to the house on every play. Great hands and catches passes naturally. Excellent blocker as well. Barkley may be the best RB I have watched on tape since Gurley. And I think he is a better prospect than Gurley because of his pass catching ability. (Top 5 pick)

2) Derrius Guice, LSU: Great power and size. Guice seemed to regain some of his speed after knee injuries in college. But does lack ideal top end speed. Has great vision and can cut on a dime. Good hands but not a natural receiver. Excellent blocker. Plays with a very nasty streak and will look for contact. Makes tacklers pay the price.  Based on talent alone Guice is my  number 2 RB in this draft. But will he fall due to knee issues? (Round 1/2)

3) Ronald Jones, USC: Amazing mix of balance, power and speed. Jones is another one of my favorite players in this draft. A little bit spindly and could use some more muscle on his frame. The biggest knock on Jones is him limited involvement in the passing game. He seems to have decent hands. But he just want thrown to very much in college. But as a pure rusher he is incredible. (Round 1/2)

4) Nick Chubb, Georgia: Good mix of power, speed and vision. Chubb is another pure rusher. With limited pass catching in college it will be interesting to watch him at the combine. But what Chubb does well is run the ball. He runs hard and punishes tacklers. (Round 2)

5) Sony Michel, Georgia: Another GA RB. Michel and Chubb are both excellent backs. I have Chubb ranked higher because I like his power better. But Michel is a great all around back. He has shown better pass catching ability than Chubb. But I believe Chubb is the better pure runner. Not much of a slasher Michel is a straight line power rusher (Round 2)

6) Kerryon Johnson, Auburn: Great size, cutting ability and quickness. Has excellent vision and the patience to set up blocks. Reminds me a little bit of Bell in that regard. Increased workload in the passing game throughout his career. An excellent all around RB prospect (Round 2/3)

7)  Royce Freeman, Oregon: Great size and power. Freeman is another straight line power runner. Lacks ideal top end speed. Has good hands and not afraid of contact. Was involved in both the passing and rushing attacks for his team (round 3)

8) LJ Scott, Michigan State: Has everything you look for in a RB. Except he has some ball security issues. That is surprising because Scott has great hands and catches the ball naturally. Good speed and power. Has very good vision as well. This highlight film calls him the next Bell...Umm NOT. (Round 3)

9) Akrum Wadley, Iowa: Nice twitch and cutting ability. Good speed. Wadley may surprise at the scouting combine. A legit homerun threat at any time. Lacks ideal power and tends to go down on first contact. (Round 3/4)

10) Rashaad Penny, San Diego State: Excellent size and speed. Penny was much more involved in the passing game this past season. But lacks natural hands. He is also a legit threat in the return game and averaged 30.2 yards per return while scoring 7 TD's in college. (round 3/4)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

@clskinsfan well done.  I was watching some tale on LJ Scott last night and it was very impressive.  Some say the next Le’veon Bell but that’s obviously a very lofty comparison.

however it does prove though that there is crazy depth at the RB position this year.  According to DJ in this article, he says the RB class is the deepest position in this years draft.  That should dictate where we invest as a team.  If Saquon is somehow there at 13 then yes lull the trigger, however I don’t feel the same about Guice though I think he could be great.  If R.J. or Sony is there in the 2nd we’d have to really consider that, but also if we had to wait to draft an RB there will be options.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000914648/article/nfl-draft-5-prospects-that-will-make-biggest-impact-as-rookies

and then, just like, beating dead horse on this thread until I get some feedback or legit reasons why this would not work for us, here’s another endorsement for Christian Kirk.  I’ll also say he has the potential to be more than a slot WR but would start there more than likely:

5. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M

Some teams have Kirk as a late-first-round player, while others view him more as a second-round option. Almost everyone agrees that he's one of the most polished players in the draft. He's a refined route runner and should quickly emerge as one of the league's most effective slot receivers. Cooper Kupp made a big-time impact as a rookie for the Rams working out of the slot last fall, and I expect similar results from Kirk in 2018.

It’s also worth mentioning that vita Vea is another player they pegged to have an immediate impact.  It’s just that there could be great players in the 2nd round too that will contribute, nd our coaching is so good and this DL class is so deep, it’s hard to justify going DL early for me.  Kirks skill set and speed is very rare hence the vote for m to go Kirk in rd 1.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Even with the best development pipeline in the NFL, any QB picked in the 4th or 5th round has a significant bust probability.  We almost certainly do not have even a decent development pipeline.  Ideal would be to take a guy now to see if he can be developed so if he can't, we can try again while it is not so critical. You also get the advantage that this guy in his break out year could have a quality back up or several young blues to work with.

Don't see a Bell type working well in this offense until we figure out how to hold the edges.  We let guys show were they should not because we don't hold those edges.

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Even with the best development pipeline in the NFL, any QB picked in the 4th or 5th round has a significant bust probability.  We almost certainly do not have even a decent development pipeline.  Ideal would be to take a guy now to see if he can be developed so if he can't, we can try again while it is not so critical. You also get the advantage that this guy in his break out year could have a quality back up or several young blues to work with.

Don't see a Bell type working well in this offense until we figure out how to hold the edges.  We let guys show were they should not because we don't hold those edges.

Good points here...

It will be tough to pass on either Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph should they fall to us in the 2nd.  QB is so important and it really takes a long time to develop there, and we have no youthful promising assets.  Either of these guys could be very very good.  Won’t happen in the 1st tho!  And arguably drafting them in the 2nd will still cause a QB controversy.

i keep saying Kyle Allen.  Was the top recruit coming out, heads to SEC and beats #2 Auburn in his first game.  Then things went sour and he transferred to Houston where he ended up as a backup.  Some say he’ll be undrafted and this would be a perfect 2 to 3 year project at very low risk.

Edited by freakofthesouth

@clskinsfan Thank you for the work! 

Question that I have: which back  fits our current group the best? Is best complementary to Chris Thompson (rest of the group has next to no value). Johnson and Chubb are my top targets. 

• Like 1

Kerryon Johnson all day for me in the second. Guice is a yawn. He did not impress me at all considering a lot of his highlights are against lower tier schools. I must be missing something with him but I just don't see wow when I watch him. You see it in Barkley and with Love's acceleration through the hole. I want to see a running back against big competition and for me Johnson showed that time in and time out. Would love him in our offense.

• Like 1

I'd love to see NFL Comps for some of this year's draft class. I wonder if LJ Scott as the next Le'Veon Bell has to do with both being from MSU.

I will say, in reading the above descriptions, I was getting some pretty lazy comparisons in my own head based on uniform and description. I read Derrius Guice and thought "Leonard Fournette" and I read Royce Freeman and read "LeGarrette Blount" ... and for Nick Chubb I thought "Marshawn Lynch" although that's not based on uniform but my experience watching him run.

Anyone have better insight? I think I read Kerryon Johnson = Jamaal Charles style

So:
1. Barkley - David Johnson/Le'Veon Bell/Todd Gurley+

2. Guice - Leonard Fournette

3. Jones - Mark Ingram

4. Chubb - Marshawn Lynch

5. Michel - Bell/Johnson mold?

6. Johnson - Jamaal Charles

7. Freeman - Blount

8. Scott - Poor Man's Le'Veon Bell?

9. Wadley - Alfred Morris

10. Penney - Poor man's Kareem Hunt?

Are any of these accurate? Or am I just trying to force things by making these (or translating other's) comparisons?

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

@JamesMadisonSkins I had put this in another thread I think but worth mentioning that some of these top tier RBs have lofty comps per NFL.com:

Saquon= Barry Sanders

Guice= Marshawn

RJ= Jamaal Charles

and then

Sony= Knoshaun Moreno

LJ Scott probably gets that Le’Veon mostly because of MIch state, but he does display some serious patient and an all around skill set that is clearly influenced by Bell but he’s not quite there just yet.

Penny I don’t love, there is some complaints with his pass catching ability even though he caught a huge TD pass in the senior bowl.

Bo Scar is getting the Derrick Henry comp which is pretty sweet, who wouldn’t want that?  Dude is freakish, remember the national champ game last year?  I would love to have him mix in with like a 4th or 5th round pick.  He’ll test very well and probably go earlier than a 5th tho.

John Kelly had himself a game vs Florida, seriouslto my eye test is cut from he Kamara mold- strong, great receiver, solid quickness, and above all, attitude.

nyheim Hines is a home run hitter from N.C. state who split time with jaylon Samuels, a serious jack of all trades with quite a combination of size and quickness.

akrum Wadley is getting a little Shady comparison here and there, has good speed.

Kalen Balage, another name to watch.  

mark Walton is giving Devante Freeman looks.

somebody school me on Kerryon Johnson, I’m just not seeing it with him just yet....

still got nick Chubb.

see? Tons and tons of options for late round RBs, deepest position in the draft.

Edited by freakofthesouth

32 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

somebody school me on Kerryon Johnson, I’m just not seeing it with him just yet....

Alabama is probably the most pro looking college defense out there I would wager. Look at him block. Look at him chip for screens. Watch the patience for the hole developing. Watch him slip out for passes. Thats what I am looking for against the best college has to offer. If he can do it against Bama he can do it against the pros. Also he did this banged up.

Edited by fordranger76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

if the skins side with the offense, then Q Nelson would be the pick IF he is available.  I would love to get Barkley but that would take another miracle for it to happen.  We were lucky last year with Allen, but I don't think we'll be lucky again this year.

if Z Brown does re-sign, then Vita or Payne would be an ideal choice.  I still have confidence in last year's draft of the secondary to continue to make strides but not enough to pick early.  if Z brown doesn't sign, then I would hope they pick up Roquon Smith to fill the inside linebacker.  and use the 2nd round on a DT/NT likely Tim Settle from VA Tech.

my 4th round pick would be Bo Scarborough, running back from Alabama. the guy is a freak! 

after that, who knows.  surprise me.   

• Like 1