Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

@JamesMadisonSkinsOh, I know - if we bring back Murphy and/or Galette, we’re fine at OLB next year (relatively speaking). Going into FA next year with 1 viable OLB (Kerrigan, because I’m basing this on Anderson not showing much, which he very well could), we have no leverage when dealing with Smith/Murphy/Galette.  We also (if they all perform), aren’t going to be able to (realistically) sign 2 of them... which puts us in a position to ‘need’ an OLB in the draft, likely in the first two rounds.  

I’m getting deep into hypotheticals, but my point is this - they need to start planning for the future at OLB, and a 5th rounder this year doesn’t move the needle much.  

The thing I want out of this draft is speed. Kerrigan, Murphy, and Smith are all high motor hustle guys. Kelly, Perrine, and Bibbs aren't speedy either. Crowder, Doctson, Davis, and Quick aren't fast.

We need some blazing speed on this team... at some positions. Preferably, at several positions. We saw how useful Zach Brown's sideline to sideline speed was. We need more fast guys.

2 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Sucks Paris went back to school. Would now like 1 of Gallup or Kirk at wr.

Agreed, Paris is fast.  

Kirk is already creeping into Saquon territory- SEC country has him going to Bears at 8!  I think they’ll go with Ridley, a bit more traditional #1, but since we sort of have that type with Doctson, Kirk is the guy.  Just watch, post combine we’ll be hoping he falls to 13. 

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nfl-mock-draft-2018-first-round-picks-top-players-order-2018-nfl-draft-1-31#.WnIriq6nGpo

8 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

Agreed, Paris is fast.  

Kirk is already creeping into Saquon territory- SEC country has him going to Bears at 8!  I think they’ll go with Ridley, a bit more traditional #1, but since we sort of have that type with Doctson, Kirk is the guy.  Just watch, post combine we’ll be hoping he falls to 13. 

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nfl-mock-draft-2018-first-round-picks-top-players-order-2018-nfl-draft-1-31#.WnIriq6nGpo

I have no clue what Bears expect form White. Guy has been injured and missed his first two seasons. Meredith is also a pretty solid WR. So not sure if they really want to go that way.

If I was the Bears I would go Kirk (if you want to go WR, I don't think either one is worth that high of a pick). I think he fits better with there QB. Just get him the ball on short passes and let him do magic. I feel he will shine in the NFL when he get's the ball in his hands and can get YAC. Very competitive. I think you need that when you catch balls in traffic and the middle of the field.  

18 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious what people think about Derwin James. CBSSports has him as their #2 or 3 prospect I think and a lot of mock drafts have him falling to or past Washington. He's listed as a SS, whereas Fitzpartrick is a FS. Anyone watch enough film of FSU lately to know whether he can be a FS for us? He's dynamic. I like Montae Nicholson but he just couldn't stay healthy, and adding James at the back-end would give us solid depth at Safety, especially if we somehow got Cravens back (unlikely).

I really like him. This year was really messy for Florida St. D. He is really an allround safety. He can do run and pass. Reason why people would rate him as SS is probally because of his size and good talent against the run. He seems natural playing in the box. 

He could become a FS in my opinion only issue is that he needs to make ''more miles'' at the position. You see that he needs more time playing as a free to become better in reading the game. Right now he sometime looks a little lost when he is really playing deep. He looks more natural in his box safety role then as a pure center fielder. He is not one of does safety's that really has that amazing feeling for the game when playing deep. But I believe you can teach him that if you put in the time. 

I'm not sure where we would slot him on our roster. I do believe he could be BPA at 13 but if Sua returns.., Montea showed some promise. D.J. is not going anywhere. It sure would give our coordinator a fun group. Sua, Montea and Derwin could be a special group in terms of making matchups. 

My long held thought was that our first pick would be the best Alabama defender still on the board. That may not fit right with the number we are picking at and BPA ranking. We may trade back, but im sure we'll be picking one of their defensive players within our first two picks. 

We we were all over Allen last year. The Anderson pick became a bit of a lock too. Got to think we are scouting in the same way of thinking this year, especially with QB out of the early round thinking.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My long held thought was that our first pick would be the best Alabama defender still on the board. That may not fit right with the number we are picking at and BPA ranking. We may trade back, but im sure we'll be picking one of their defensive players within our first two picks. 

We we were all over Allen last year. The Anderson pick became a bit of a lock too. Got to think we are scouting in the same way of thinking this year, especially with QB out of the early round thinking.

If so, Fitzpatrick is unlikely there at #13.  Payne versus Harrison? Or Alabama offensive players kicks in with Ridley?  I recall a little Ryan Anderson debate last year on the thread.  I was initially reluctant -- his combine metrics scream NFL failure, the short arms, his slow 10 yd-40 time made Ryan Kerrigan look like a speed rusher in comparison.  If I recall Anderson was meh on the agility metrics, too.   But then I fell for all the intangible stuff, reading about him.  And talked myself into him.  I recall one draft geek on twitter, thought Anderson's metrics scream bust in such a big way, that the Redskins bombed the pick.  Anderson got feisty on twitter with that person.   

Not saying I am out on Anderson.  But he seems to be off to a slow start.  Cooley said in camp he looked "meh" to him but maybe he's one of those guys who plays better than he practices.  I am picking on Anderson a little just on the case that if the team isn't infatuated with Anderson now the way they were then (don't know one way or another) -- maybe it isn't Alabama or bust in 2018.

I'm expecting WR in FA now. We need one for Smith. So it'll be a RB high in the draft. Need to get someone dynamic in.

Unless a rope end talent drops to 13, like say Nelson, I think we'll move back to recover that 3rd rounder. Outside of Fitzpatrick, the Alabama crop on D look like lower first, to second round grades. But yeh agree with you on Anderson so far. 

I like Daniel Jeremiah. His Top 50 players are interesting. He has them all about in the same range as others, but the order, particularly at the top, intrigues me.

He has Tremaine Edmunds as his #3. Vita Vea as his #9. Derwin James #11. Roquon Smith #19. 

The more I read up on James, the more I'm intrigued by him. I followed his early career at FSU and liked him a lot. I always figured he'd be a Top 5 pick. I know he had a bit of a down year but if he's there at #13, which he very well could be, I'm elevating him to the list of players I'd love to have. Vea praise has been fairly consistent, but Jeremiah emphasizes that he's a more athletic Haloti Ngata. That's all you've gotta tell me. 

Jeremiah has Payne as the #24 prospect, too. So if we really did want to trade off #13 then I could see us hopping back and taking someone like him in the 20's if we wanted to stick with defense.

53 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Jeremiah has Payne as the #24 prospect, too. So if we really did want to trade off #13 then I could see us hopping back and taking someone like him in the 20's if we wanted to stick with defense.

In general I like D.J. to but I feel like this year he puts to much value in height weight speed. He really boosted the super high upside athletic guys and downgraded the less athletic guys. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall a little Ryan Anderson debate last year on the thread.  I was initially reluctant -- his combine metrics scream NFL failure, the short arms, his slow 10 yd-40 time made Ryan Kerrigan look like a speed rusher in comparison.  If I recall Anderson was meh on the agility metrics, too.   But then I fell for all the intangible stuff, reading about him.  And talked myself into him.  I recall one draft geek on twitter, thought Anderson's metrics scream bust in such a big way, that the Redskins bombed the pick.  Anderson got feisty on twitter with that person.   

Nick Saban believed his best fit in the NFL was as an ILB; I remember reading about it. Cooley has said the same thing. His game is his strength, but he doesn’t seem to have the length or flexibility to turn the corner in the NFL. 

I think he could be a good thumping ILB like many previous Bama guys.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2017/6/15/15743730/skins-stats-ryan-anderson-amp-the-athleticism-elephant-in-the-room

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

Nick Saban believed his best fit in the NFL was as an ILB; I remember reading about it. Cooley has said the same thing. His game is his strength, but he doesn’t seem to have the length or flexibility to turn the corner in the NFL. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2017/6/15/15743730/skins-stats-ryan-anderson-amp-the-athleticism-elephant-in-the-room

It's too early to call a player a bust after his rookie year, but it is possible he is best suited to be an old fashioned first down inside linebacker. The guy you bring in to stop the run, but you substitute on passing downs. Anderson had a few flash plays. I would like to see more and hope they find a way to play him to his strengths.

Heck, the right coach turned defensive tackle Lorenzo Alexander into a pro bowl linebacker. It wasn't on our team, but the idea is still the same. Identify the strengths and weaknesses, and take advantage of them.

6 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I have no clue what Bears expect form White. Guy has been injured and missed his first two seasons. Meredith is also a pretty solid WR. So not sure if they really want to go that way.

If I was the Bears I would go Kirk (if you want to go WR, I don't think either one is worth that high of a pick). I think he fits better with there QB. Just get him the ball on short passes and let him do magic. I feel he will shine in the NFL when he get's the ball in his hands and can get YAC. Very competitive. I think you need that when you catch balls in traffic and the middle of the field.  

True. Kirk is money.  Will the Bears pass on a Q Nelson or any other top tier talent to get him though with the WRs they already have? Cam Meredith, Kevin White?  Who knows.  They could trade back as well if one of those top QBs is avail with another team...  Ultimately any QB run in the early first will push down top talent to 13 inevitably... skins sit in a great position.

also it’s funny, I saw for the first time Lance Z’s rankings on NFL.com and he has Kirk as a 4th rounder...!  Says he doesn’t have elite speed.  Interesting.  I guess we’ll see in a few weeks.  He also had Ridley as top WR.  Ridley is a 7.0 according to him while Kirk is a 5.6.

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I have thought about this as well, it seems the team is willing to move pieces around, even with Su’a as you could make the argument that decision to have him play out of his natural position brought on his concussion symptoms and thus him missing a season.  

To me Ryan Anderson is just what your saying here- strong, emotional leader, smart, but not a lot of athletic advantages, being shorter etc.  I recall him saying he can play any LB position, so if we need that depth at ILB let’s see how he does.  He is very good however at sealing the edge, and has excellent speed to power, which is good for rushing the QB as well so that versatility could be utilized.

we also have to point out that players going into the NFL, there is a clear adjustment that has to happen. For some players they jump right in and are effective. others need more time to get on the field, for others, many years even... Ryan Anderson didn’t play much from what I saw this past season as he was still learning... when the dude gets on the field, and gets comfortable, he can be dominant, we’ve seen it at the highest collegiate level.  We have to have faith in these picks and sort of believe in their talent if we want to built effectively. to me Zach Brown is a major piece.  Getting Trent Murphy back this year will be crucial as well.

This is interesting as NFL.com and LZ gather their intel.  I’m listing below the top prospects that *could* be avail for #13 overall.  Some of their comps are epic:

Q Nelson 7.4 (Larry Allen)

T Edmunds 7.2 (Brian Urlacher)

C Ridley 7.0 (Marvin Harrison)

D Payne 6.6 (Brandon Williams)

R Smith 6.5 (Deon Jones)

V Vea 6.5 (Danny Shelton)

D James 6.4 (Eric Berry)

D Guice 6.4 (Marshawn Lynch)

Ronald Jones 6.4 (Jamaal Charles)

Baker Mayfield 6.0 (Doug Flutie)

Lamaar Jackson 6.0 (Michael Vick)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade/dt-by-grade-input:1/dt-by-position-input:dl

15 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

This is interesting as NFL.com and LZ gather their intel.  I’m listing below the top prospects that *could* be avail for #13 overall.  Some of their comps are epic:

Q Nelson 7.4 (Larry Allen)

T Edmunds 7.2 (Brian Urlacher)

C Ridley 7.0 (Marvin Harrison)

D Payne 6.6 (Brandon Williams)

R Smith 6.5 (Deon Jones)

V Vea 6.5 (Danny Shelton)

D James 6.4 (Eric Berry)

D Guice 6.4 (Marshawn Lynch)

Ronald Jones 6.4 (Jamaal Charles)

Baker Mayfield 6.0 (Doug Flutie)

Lamaar Jackson 6.0 (Michael Vick)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade/dt-by-grade-input:1/dt-by-position-input:dl

Any out of Vea or Nelson would make me very happy. 

HTTR 

If none of the top 5 talents drop (like Allen did last year), draft the best DT or Quentin Nelson. But best case scenario is probably that a QB drops to us and someone like the Bills tries to get in front of the Cardinals to pick the player. Try to get some more picks and especially make up for the lost pick of the Smith trade.

In general I agree with some posters here that we need more speed. We lack elite speed on offense and on defense. That's why I am in love with Ronald Jones.

Said it a couple of weeks back that I'd love to get him in the second or third but this guy is moving up big boards fast and since I expect him to run a really fast 40 at the combine and Love and Harris going back to college, I doubt he'll be there when we pick in round 2.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:58 AM, seantaylor=god said:

I agree with most of your comments, but after double checking - Saban just said he could play ILB, not that he is better suited to it.  

With that said, I hadn’t seen that he actually did play some ILB for Alabama (according to Saban), though I have no idea how much.  

Regarding all the talk about Wallace, he would come at a decent price, which I think is more what we should be looking for, rather than a Landry type (that eats up most of our FA money) my hunch is he stays in B’more though.  A decent WR in FA, plus a good DL or G (maybe a back too, though I’d rather draft one if we have to choose) is probably pushing it in terms of cap space, but would open up the draft a bit for us (including maybe trading back) and address some of our bigger needs.  

My concern is that Grant may be our ‘decent WR’ signing.  Which leaves us needing WR, G or DL, ILB (no money for Brown) in the draft, and RB.  I’d really like to add a TE too, and we could also use help at corner, OLB and S.  

The FO is in a tough spot.  Lot of these positions have ok players - TE, RB, DL - and positions with potential - S, corner, and receiver.  Gonna be interesting to see what they do.  

I keep coming back to the fact that you can rebuild a team quickly if done properly. We have the foundation of some real talent on the defense. We just need to nail this draft, and we need to get some impact guys. Some of the biggest impact FAs aren't the sexy ones. Chris Longs, LeGarette Blount, etc. (using Philly as an example).

If you want to compete with the Cowboys and Eagles of the world, you need playmakers. Philly built their DL and let their secondary benefit from their front 7. I think we're close to having that similar structure in place on defense. As for the offensive side of the ball, I think we're a dominant RB away from being very good. Let's get the dominant RB already.

Build the front 7, Build the OL on offense. Get a stud RB. Then you can at least control games and give yourself a chance to win against the Phillies and the Cwoboys of the world.

As depressed as I am today about Philly's win, the truth is that we aren't terribly far away from the team that won last night. We're on our way to building a stout front 7 and our offensive weapons aren't far off from Philly, when healthy... just need that running game

I’m all about drafting speed.  I think R.J. is gonna go in the 1st when it’s all said and done... an RB in the 1st would be sweet but I just don’t see it happening given what the team needs most.

plus, we resigned Bibbs (?), CT, Perine, Rob Kelley guys is still in the building, so. That’s what we’re working with. Adding another RB in the late rounds is more likely.  Possible mid-late rounders:

Bo Scar

John Kelly (started over kamara y’all).  Not a good offense and he had some epic SEC games (watch vs Florida)

ballage...

Akrum Wadley has *some* shady appeal but not really.

if we wanna spend money in Fa we should chase Le’Veon.  WTF not??  Better to pay him than Jarvis.  Gimme Le’Veon, or McKinnon, or Hyde.  Make a for real run at them.

while it would be awesome to get a Guice or R.J., the available capable RBs in Fa tell me at we should spend the money in FA. Bring in a vet as the Rb room is pretty young overall.  Plus I still have faith in Perine.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:47 PM, skinny21 said:

if we bring back Murphy and/or Galette

The Galette situation is confusing to me. Would he come back, after spending all year tweeting and screaming about how we won't let him play, or whatever he was complaining about? 

On 2/3/2018 at 6:51 PM, Burgold said:

We need some blazing speed on this team

Agree. A lot of the reason Smith's offense worked in Kansas City was speed, and we desperately lack that. Other than CT, it often seemed like Kirk was the fastest guy out there last year.

1 minute ago, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

Agree. A lot of the reason Smith's offense worked in Kansas City was speed, and we desperately lack that. Other than CT, it often seemed like Kirk was the fastest guy out there last year.

Yeah, Thompson and Davis probably represent our only speed options at the offensive skill positions. The danger with both is that we don't know if either will retain their speed. Will the broken leg heal in a way that slows Thompson down? Will Father Time finally catch up to Davis? Darrell Green was inhumanly fast into his forties, but when a speed guy loses it... he can lose it very suddenly.

Archived