• Blog Entries

    • By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
         0
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019
       
      9/15/19
       
      Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.
       
      Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 
       
      Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.
       
      So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?
       
      Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.
       
      And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.
       
      So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.
       
      Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.
       
      Stand by...
       
      Inactives
       
      The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen
       
      The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton
       
      Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 
       
stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

@DC Lumber Co.I have to be honest, I haven’t watched much tape of Vea/Payne, but it’s the idea of them that I’ve been pushing for a while now for the very reasons you mentioned.  Theoretically, they can upgrade our NT position, provide additional versatility and (this is the kicker for me) backup or rotate in for Io/Allen.  

 

If our line play hadn’t dropped off as it did when injuries hit, I can’t help but believe the defense would have had a (much) better showing.  Particularly as we had a pretty good pass rush and a good amount of talent in the secondary.  

 

Of course that goes out the window is we tackle DL in FA.  I some ways I prefer this second option as I’d feel more comfortable either going BPA in the 1st (grabbing a guy that drops) or trading back.  Trading back is attractive to me because it increases our chance at a top back as well as (presumably garnering an early or mid round pick).   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I also believe that if there is any QB that fits the mold you look for to groom under a veteran without being drafted too high to cause controversy this year it's Kyle Lauletta.

Going back 3 years, the average QB results are:

Round 1: 3

Round 2: 1

Round 3: 2

Round 4: 2

Round 5: 1

 

This is a deep QB class, so someone is going to fall. If Laualetta is the 7th or 8th QB prospect, then he should be expected to go in the 4th round. If he is in the 8-10 range, then the 5th is realistic. Off the top of my head:

1. Josh Rosen

2. Sam Darnold

3. Baker Mayfield

4. Josh Allen

5. Mason Rudolph 

6. Lamar Jackson

7. Mike White

8. Luke Falk

9. Kyle Lauletta

10. Kurt Benkert

11. Chase Litton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The ultimate trade-down (realistic trades) from FanSpeak ... 3 trade downs

1.13 to Cleveland for 2.1 + 2.3 + 4.1 + 4.23

2.1 to Chicago for 2.7 + 4.5

2.7 to LAC for 2.16 + 3.20

 

2.3: Sony Michel, RB Georgia

2.9: Dallas Geodert, TE South Dakota State
2.16: Harrison Phillips, DT Stanford
3.20: Leighton Vander-Esch, ILB Boise
4.1: Tarvarus McFadden, CB FSU
4.5: Kyle Lauletta, QB Richmond
4.13: Terrell Edmunds, SS Va. Tech
4.23: Lowell Lotulelei, NT Utah

5.12: Jake Weineke, WR South Dakota State

 

Pretty unrealistic. Gonna have to just wait until closer to the draft to see some of these draft boards start to come together a bit. But if that draft took place, I'd argue you only really need a stud LG in free agency, since that was the one hole from this draft. 

What about WR help? A speed guy or 2 is very much needed some one to make plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, #1skinsfanever said:

What about WR help? A speed guy or 2 is very much needed some one to make plays.

I agree we need a speed guy. Could be in FA or draft. But I don’t know enough about the mind round WRs to say for sure and to draft them in this run. Also, I’d be less concerned about WR if we added a running game and a TE like Goedert to pair with Reed. Doctson, Crowder, Grant, Davis, Harris would and could still be a competent unit but we’d be built around the RBs and TEs in this scenario. Doctson could always develop into something more too. Not Hill more but certainly a capable WR1 and you don’t need much more than that with Smith

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deontay Burnett is a guy I’d be intrigued by. Besides the USC connection I’ve seen a couple people compare his draft stock to Smith-Schuster who I loved last year. 

 

I’ve seen Burnett mocked anywhere from R2 to R5. My guess is he ends up in the late 2nd to mid 3rd range. Which, barring a trade back, wouldn’t fit in with where we are picking. 3rd would have been a good spot. But that picks gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not keen on trading out of the first round....flash back to the Vinny trade that got the Skins three pass catchers that collectively amounted to nothing.  Its ok to drop back a few spots if that allows the Skins to still acquire an equally rated player.  But dropping 20 spots changes everything.

I'm not keen on taking a WR in the first round.  The Skins already have a young WR group.  Other teams seem to be able to pick up burners in the later rounds.  

I wonder if the Skins will pick up an extra draft pick if they are able to trade Cravens.  Maybe a 4th. If not let him compete again at SS.

My preference at 13 or slightly lower is d line if a top rated player is still available. If they are gone its possible the Offensive Guard would be available.  That would be interesting.  I think the Skins would have to sign Scherff to a long term contract and plan on trading him before it expired.  Two interior OL earning max contracts would likely be too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a trade back in the 1st makes a lot of sense (if we can swing one of course) because

1) of the balance of needs vs depth at certain positions

2) of the need for multiple impact players (and a developmental qb)

3) of the idea that there are a few DL we could pick up in FA that could/would allow us more flexibility in the draft

 

Add a 3rd and 4th, and we take a top back later in the 1st, corner or receiver in the 2nd, qb/receiver/corner in the 3rd, TE and whichever of the above we haven’t gotten at that point, in the 4th.  

 

The defense improves via the FA DL, we improve the run game (RB/TE), we add weapons for Smith (TE/WR), and add a qb to groom.  Makes sense to me anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I agree we need a speed guy. Could be in FA or draft. But I don’t know enough about the mind round WRs to say for sure and to draft them in this run. Also, I’d be less concerned about WR if we added a running game and a TE like Goedert to pair with Reed. Doctson, Crowder, Grant, Davis, Harris would and could still be a competent unit but we’d be built around the RBs and TEs in this scenario. Doctson could always develop into something more too. Not Hill more but certainly a capable WR1 and you don’t need much more than that with Smith

I would love to grab a top RB in the draft and grab a TE with rest of draft dedicated to defense. And grab Landry in FA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious what people think about Derwin James. CBSSports has him as their #2 or 3 prospect I think and a lot of mock drafts have him falling to or past Washington. He's listed as a SS, whereas Fitzpartrick is a FS. Anyone watch enough film of FSU lately to know whether he can be a FS for us? He's dynamic. I like Montae Nicholson but he just couldn't stay healthy, and adding James at the back-end would give us solid depth at Safety, especially if we somehow got Cravens back (unlikely).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I agree we need a speed guy. Could be in FA or draft. But I don’t know enough about the mind round WRs to say for sure and to draft them in this run. Also, I’d be less concerned about WR if we added a running game and a TE like Goedert to pair with Reed. Doctson, Crowder, Grant, Davis, Harris would and could still be a competent unit but we’d be built around the RBs and TEs in this scenario. Doctson could always develop into something more too. Not Hill more but certainly a capable WR1 and you don’t need much more than that with Smith

 

Im extremely interested in seeing how Christian Kirk tests at the combine.  Dude was a gamebreaker in the SEC.  it seems like this offense needs someone to take the top off the D, a la DeSean, and he could be Tyreek-esque.  Vicious punt returner as well.  I know some had him very high on their big board at one point before A&M’s offense went sour.  Again Kiper and McShay basically agreed that Ridley and Kirk are the only WRs in the top tier and Kirk has ODB upside, it’s true.

 

which reminds me, Kyle Allen again seems like a great candidate for developmental QB and he might go undrafted; he and Kirk had great rapport.  

 

Hopefully tho Bruce doesn’t call him Christian Kurt lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, freakofthesouth said:

 

Im extremely interested in seeing how Christian Kirk tests at the combine.

Yeah, but from what I've seen, he's listed anywhere from WR2 to WR6 or so ... meaning he's gone in the 1st or 2nd round. I think any of the speed guy you get in the draft is going to have to be in the 4th or 5th round. Which is actually okay with me. If you look at where a guy like Tyreke Hill (5th) or Martavis Bryyant (4th), Stefan Diggs (5th) were drafted. Sure, there's more misses than hits in that range, but that tends to be where the true, one-dimensional speed type guys go and occasionally you hit on someone that can be more (Diggs, Hill). 

 

One guy I'm intrigued by for all he right cliches is Jake Weineke from South Dakota State. He has the size, and the route running skills, but not the speed. He could be an Adam Thielen type (but bigger) and we could probably get him in that range. Of course, he doesn't solve the speed issue, but he'd be a solid possession receive, and a good fit as a #2 in  a west coast system, behind hopefully developed Docston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious what people think about Derwin James. CBSSports has him as their #2 or 3 prospect I think and a lot of mock drafts have him falling to or past Washington. He's listed as a SS, whereas Fitzpartrick is a FS. Anyone watch enough film of FSU lately to know whether he can be a FS for us? He's dynamic. I like Montae Nicholson but he just couldn't stay healthy, and adding James at the back-end would give us solid depth at Safety, especially if we somehow got Cravens back (unlikely).

 

Yeah I think he slipped a little last season, injuries were part of the problem, but look he’s like 6’3” and rangey and flies to the ball and is gonna be a starter in the league for sure.  However I have seen other reports say that Jordan Whitehead is a better prospect...could be had later... there aren’t a lot of safeties tho overall... seems like with Monte and DJ and still holding out hope for Su’a... safety isn’t too thin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think we have a pretty solid young core at WR. Assuming Ryan Grant is back ... I think the depth chart as-is ..

1. Josh Doctson - we know what the ceiling can be, but can he put it together to become a true #1 this year?

2. Ryan Grant - not an ideal #2 but he showed this year that he can be solid

3. Jamison Crowder - slot guy should excel in his role next year

4. Maurice Harris - guy with size and deep ball tracking who can be a decent depth player with upside

5. Robert Davis - still think this guy has a lot of potential. Georgia State to NFL will require a bit of grooming, so maybe this is the year he gets some PT

 

So there's room to draft or sign a guy, but if we just went and got a 4th or 5th round burner, I wouldn't think we are in bad shape. We would be super young with lots of upside. Of course, we could go the FA route and get someone like Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry or Paul Richardson or Martinis Bryant to solve the deep ball issues too. Robinson would be more of a pure #1 and not sure if that's a fit for an Alex Smith offense anymore. May be best to target the speed guys, since we have the posession guy in Doctson, which is typically overlooked by Smith anyway.

 

So give me a 4th or 5th round speed guy, and Im happy with our WR. Raw, yes, but upside. And since Alex Smith offenses run through the TE and RB quite a bit, I don't think that's a bad position to be in. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, but from what I've seen, he's listed anywhere from WR2 to WR6 or so ... meaning he's gone in the 1st or 2nd round. I think any of the speed guy you get in the draft is going to have to be in the 4th or 5th round. Which is actually okay with me. If you look at where a guy like Tyreke Hill (5th) or Martavis Bryyant (4th), Stefan Diggs (5th) were drafted. Sure, there's more misses than hits in that range, but that tends to be where the true, one-dimensional speed type guys go and occasionally you hit on someone that can be more (Diggs, Hill). 

 

One guy I'm intrigued by for all he right cliches is Jake Weineke from South Dakota State. He has the size, and the route running skills, but not the speed. He could be an Adam Thielen type (but bigger) and we could probably get him in that range. Of course, he doesn't solve the speed issue, but he'd be a solid possession receive, and a good fit as a #2 in  a west coast system, behind hopefully developed Docston.

 

Right on, yeah I mean I guess it really will come down to how all these players test... for sure there is deep WR talent there and the speed guy can be later rounds... Keke Coutee is another one... and this can translate into depth at the position and maybe eventually being a solid contributor...

 

I’m just thinking we might need someone with HUGE upside when the opportunity is there. If we trade back in some scenario then I’m not opposed to adding a potential gamebreaking offensive asset.  

 

Watch his vs tape on YouTube, even against Bama, dude is ballin.  

 

Really I just don’t want him to go to Dallas.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I also think we have a pretty solid young core at WR. Assuming Ryan Grant is back ... I think the depth chart as-is ..

1. Josh Doctson - we know what the ceiling can be, but can he put it together to become a true #1 this year?

2. Ryan Grant - not an ideal #2 but he showed this year that he can be solid

3. Jamison Crowder - slot guy should excel in his role next year

4. Maurice Harris - guy with size and deep ball tracking who can be a decent depth player with upside

5. Robert Davis - still think this guy has a lot of potential. Georgia State to NFL will require a bit of grooming, so maybe this is the year he gets some PT

 

So there's room to draft or sign a guy, but if we just went and got a 4th or 5th round burner, I wouldn't think we are in bad shape. We would be super young with lots of upside. Of course, we could go the FA route and get someone like Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry or Paul Richardson or Martinis Bryant to solve the deep ball issues too. Robinson would be more of a pure #1 and not sure if that's a fit for an Alex Smith offense anymore. May be best to target the speed guys, since we have the posession guy in Doctson, which is typically overlooked by Smith anyway.

 

So give me a 4th or 5th round speed guy, and Im happy with our WR. Raw, yes, but upside. And since Alex Smith offenses run through the TE and RB quite a bit, I don't think that's a bad position to be in. 

 

Yeah the move is probably adding the WR via FA, however not a lot of prospects there... some.  Agreed we have solid youth at the WR position.

 

also I’m not sure about adding TE depth, seems like Jordan Reed, being one of the best in the league, will have live up to his contract and get on the field, right?  Davis still kickin and locked up for a few more years and with Niles P and Sprinkle, I think we’re set at TE tho for sure this is a strong class coming out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

 

Right on, yeah I mean I guess it really will come down to how all these players test... for sure there is deep WR talent there and the speed guy can be later

also I’m not sure about adding TE depth, seems like Jordan Reed, being one of the best in the league, will have live up to his contract and get on the field, right?  Davis still kickin and locked up for a few more years and with Niles P and Sprinkle, I think we’re set at TE tho for sure this is a strong class coming out.

I was in the same boat, but the more I think about it, the more it would be great to have a dynamic talent to back-up Reed. Sprinkle MIGHT be it. I'm definitely not writing him off. But I think getting a Goedert or Andrews in the 2nd IF IF IF we have extra picks to have that luxury, would be a beneficial move. BPA type move. Load up on TEs in an offense that heavily relies on them. Not to mention we need a blocking TE for certain sets, since Reed isn't it. 

 

There are probably sets where you can line Reed up in the slot on one side and have a Goedert type in-line for blocking or secondary routes. IDK, it's definitely a luxury. I'm really only advocating for this if we trade back into the 20's and add a 2nd and/or 3rd in the process. Or if we trade back with Cleveland for 33/35 and have three picks in the 2nd. Then, depending on the FA cycle, BPA could allow us to go RB/TE/OL/DEF at that point.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I was in the same boat, but the more I think about it, the more it would be great to have a dynamic talent to back-up Reed. Sprinkle MIGHT be it. I'm definitely not writing him off. But I think getting a Goedert or Andrews in the 2nd IF IF IF we have extra picks to have that luxury, would be a beneficial move. BPA type move. Load up on TEs in an offense that heavily relies on them. Not to mention we need a blocking TE for certain sets, since Reed isn't it. 

 

There are probably sets where you can line Reed up in the slot on one side and have a Goedert type in-line for blocking or secondary routes. IDK, it's definitely a luxury. I'm really only advocating for this if we trade back into the 20's and add a 2nd and/or 3rd in the process. Or if we trade back with Cleveland for 33/35 and have three picks in the 2nd. Then, depending on the FA cycle, BPA could allow us to go RB/TE/OL/DEF at that point.

 

Fiest of all let just mention how much I appreciate this conversation.

 

secondly, I hear ya and I think TE depth is interesting to think about.  Here’s what we know: Reed’s concussion history is concerning, as well as his other multitude of injuries.  Davis is still athletic however he is older (and already has rapport with Alex Smith from San Fran).  I had heard Sprinkle is starting to come on... he was a good receiver in school... and niles P is a jack of all trades.

 

but a Geodert, a Fumagalli, a Hurst, even an Akins could provide to be valuable depth as well.  Just thinking tho we had to part ways with carrier last season... maybe a later round thing?  I think Gesicki is gonna do well too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The ultimate trade-down (realistic trades) from FanSpeak ... 3 trade downs

1.13 to Cleveland for 2.1 + 2.3 + 4.1 + 4.23

2.1 to Chicago for 2.7 + 4.5

2.7 to LAC for 2.16 + 3.20

 

I really like the idea of having 2.1 and 4.1.  Having a day to work out deals for guys that fall could lead to teams having willingness to give a little more or having more time to talk about the guys that are there.

 

Maybe not a huge amount different, but maybe add a future 5th to your Bears trade.

 

edit: to expand on this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/04/28/nfl-draft-2017-the-20-best-remaining-players-for-round-2/?utm_term=.9c7771f26822

 

Last year Dalvin Cook, Lamp and Cunningham were guys we all talked about with 17 (that I remember, maybe others).  While Allen was the right pick, having a shot at 2 of the first 3 picks could have worked out as well.  

 

Ironically, we did get 2 others in Anderson and Moreau, but they weren't ranked 1-32 so they were less of 'slipped' out of round 1 types.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

 

Ironically, we did get 2 others in Anderson and Moreau, but they weren't ranked 1-32 so they were less of 'slipped' out of round 1 types.

 

These picks are notable- obviously the team felt Moreau was read to take on more of the responsibly and hence the Fuller trade... right?  Moreau had a 1st round grade but tore his pectoral muscle at his pro day, causing him to fall to the 3rd.

 

the question I have is with Anderson- a lot of solid prospects were there last year second round, but Anderson wasn’t a flashy one and he was kind of a surprise.  He fought some injury last season but didn’t do very much.

 

Are these guys the future of the positions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

Are these guys the future of the positions?

I think thats the idea. Anderson didn't show much but I think theres a hope he becomes the rusher Smith hasn't become. Moreau on the other hand was probably drafted as Breeland's eventual replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I was in the same boat, but the more I think about it, the more it would be great to have a dynamic talent to back-up Reed. Sprinkle MIGHT be it. I'm definitely not writing him off. But I think getting a Goedert or Andrews in the 2nd IF IF IF we have extra picks to have that luxury, would be a beneficial move. BPA type move. Load up on TEs in an offense that heavily relies on them. Not to mention we need a blocking TE for certain sets, since Reed isn't it. 

 

There are probably sets where you can line Reed up in the slot on one side and have a Goedert type in-line for blocking or secondary routes. IDK, it's definitely a luxury. I'm really only advocating for this if we trade back into the 20's and add a 2nd and/or 3rd in the process. Or if we trade back with Cleveland for 33/35 and have three picks in the 2nd. Then, depending on the FA cycle, BPA could allow us to go RB/TE/OL/DEF at that point.

It’s a luxury, IMO, only because we traded away our 3rd.  

 

I’ve talked about it enough to be annoying, but here’s my take.  Our TEs sucked in the run game.  Bad enough that it was a constant refrain from Cooley.  They’d let edge defenders blow up runs in the backfield when all they needed to do was make contact.  I also don’t trust them to pass block.  

 

Sprinkle is a wild card here of course, but if they don’t think he brings enough to the table as a pass catcher, we’re still left with Reed and Davis as #1/#2, and Sprinkle becomes the ‘ol Ryan Grant tell.  

 

A well rounded TE allows you more flexibility in audibles and PA, helps the ground game and in pass pro, adds another receiving weapon, and gives us insurance for Reed.  Lastly, a new TE allows us to attempt to trade Reed, this year or next, and replaces Niles Paul.  I like Paul, but his best assets are ST leader and fullback... not ideal for a TE. He’s like Compton - valuable as a backup, but I’d much rather have potential starters as your depth.  

 

I believed all of that before we got Alex Smith...

 

If we get DL in FA, I have no problem shooting for a trade back and landing a top RB and Goedert.  Realistically though, I think we can get a good one in the 4th.  The question(s) becomes, do we need that pick for a qb (or corner/receiver)?  Do we recoup a 3rd rounder for a qb?  Do we pick up even more mid rounders via multiple trade backs?  Does the team even see this need (IMO) for a TE?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freakofthesouth said:

 

These picks are notable- obviously the team felt Moreau was read to take on more of the responsibly and hence the Fuller trade... right?  Moreau had a 1st round grade but tore his pectoral muscle at his pro day, causing him to fall to the 3rd.

 

the question I have is with Anderson- a lot of solid prospects were there last year second round, but Anderson wasn’t a flashy one and he was kind of a surprise.  He fought some injury last season but didn’t do very much.

 

Are these guys the future of the positions?

This is a concern I have.  If Anderson doesn’t progress enough, we need an OLB.  My thinking is that we can re-sign Murphy to a 1 year deal, but if he performs, we’ll have Smith and Murphy as (perhaps fairly pricey) FAs next year.    

 

OLB wasn’t on my radar (until maybe the 5th or so), but now it is... along with corner.  Those two positions have the chance of upsetting the notion of going qb and TE, G or receiver in the mid rounds, even more so now that we gave up our 3rd rounder.  

 

All of which makes me think trading back to gain a couple of picks would be a smart move.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing some deep digging on mid-round prospects today and happened to focus on ILB and WR ... I'm using Walter Football's positional rankings and round projections for these guys ...

 

Wide Receiver:

#12 James Washington, OK State (Round 3-5)

   - Not quick, slow acceleration, but big top-end speed (thinking for deep balls ala Hill)

#13 Jordan Lasley, UCLA (Round 3-5)

   - Tall receiver and ended the year with 4 massive games in Pac-12 play, fairly raw

#18 Deontay Burnett, USC (Round 3-5)

   - Burner and quality route runner

#26 Antonio Callaway, Florida (Round 4-6)

   - 1st round talent compared to Antonio Brown but terrible off-field issues, big risk, high upside

#35 Brandon Powell, Florida (Round 6-UDFA)

   - Small (5'9) but a blazer, however; really low numbers and limited production at Florida due to QB woes ... probably closest comp. to Tyreke Hill

 

Inside Linebacker:

#5 Leighton Vander-Esch, Boise State (Round 2-3)

   - Matt Miller's "it guy" this year, massive numbers in breakout year

#7 Joey Jewel, Iowa (Round 3-4)

   - Tackling machine for 3-straight years

#11 Micah Kiser, UVA (Round 3-5)

   - Not fast, but a downhill tackling machine best paired with a speedy side-to-side ILB in 3-4
#12 Nick DeLuca, NDSU (Round 4-6)

   - small school guy, solid in coverage and a big senior year

#16 Frank Ginda, San Jose State (Round 4-6)

   - Undersized, but tackling machine (170 tackles last year)

#18 Azeem Victor, Washington (Round 4-6)

   - 2 injury-riddled seasons but a speedy ILB who had a strong 2015. Broke leg in 2016, missing year, and impacted speed in 2017. Return to pre-injury levels could make him a sleeper (2 years post injury, that's likely)

#21 Christian Sam, Arizona State (Round 4-6)

   - Missed 2016 for injury, big 2017. Limited exposure could impact where he goes

#22 Joel Lanning, Iowa State (Round 5-7)

   - former QB turned ILB, good field instincts, likely special team player/contributor but solid tackler/coverage

 

I tried to focus on guys that were more in that 3rd+ range. While we don't have a 3rd, if we trade back or just use our 4th/5th/6th these are "under the radar" guys who have some upside. 

 

I think I'd be intrigued/interested if the Redskins drafted any of the above players. At WR, I don't think Washington will be there when we pick in the 4th. But give me Lasley, Burnett in the 4th or Callaway/Powell as fliers in the 6th or 7th ... for ILB Vander Esch, Joey Jewel, Micah Kiser, Frank Ginda, and Azeem Victor are the ones that interest me the most

20 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

OLB wasn’t on my radar (until maybe the 5th or so), but now it is... along with corner.  Those two positions have the chance of upsetting the notion of going qb and TE, G or receiver in the mid rounds, even more so now that we gave up our 3rd rounder.

I think EDGE is one area we are okay. Anderson is young and has some good upside. Preston Smith has flashed. We'll likely bring back either Murphy and/or Galette ...

 

I think Murphy has a shot at having a breakout year. He had a great season 2 years ago. If he does, then maybe we bring him back on a long-term deal in 2019. But for now, I think drafting Smith and Anderson the last 2-3 years in the early rounds has given us some depth. But yeah, may be worth taking a flyer on a guy int he 5th or 6th, for sure. I just wouldn't dedicate another early pick to the position. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my point was less about Anderson and Moreau than it was what else was there.

 

As a team that desperately needed youth at DL, I would have been upset about not going Allen.  I also think Having Cunningham and Cook right now would also make our team better (though with Allen being hurt it's probably skewed a bit).  No telling if Cunningham or Cook were the picks, but just painting a picture.

 

This year there could be a player to drop, but if it isn't at a position of need (example- Nelson I'd rather draft) the 2 high 2nd's from Cleveland is very intriguing to me.  I've seen comments about not trading out of the first, but I think we could do very well backing up a bit.  If Mayfield is highest rated and Payne is best fit, but they see him as 20ish, then trade back is worth it.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add B.J. Hill from NC State as a NT I'm intrigued with in the Round 3-5 range if he's there. There's some post-senior bowl upward trending, but he's 320 lbs. and put up some good numbers on a great DL next to Chubb. I'm going to run a mock draft, and see if my drafting (particularly going BPA) is impacted now that I'd be comfortable with getting any of these need-position guys in later rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

 

This year there could be a player to drop, but if it isn't at a position of need (example- Nelson I'd rather draft) the 2 high 2nd's from Cleveland is very intriguing to me.  I've seen comments about not trading out of the first, but I think we could do very well backing up a bit.  If Mayfield is highest rated and Payne is best fit, but they see him as 20ish, then trade back is worth it.

Pats offered me 1(32), 2(11) and 2(32) for 13 in the run. I took it and went RB Michel, OG Hernandez, TE Andrews, NT Settle with the first 4 picks. The trade-value is a bit of an overpay from the Pats, more likely that we'd get their 3rd than their other 2nd, but it's close. Either way, I hear you. The only way I don't actively root for a trade when #13 rolls around is if one of the following players are there:

OG Nelson, RB Barkley, ILB Smith

 

If one of these guys are there, I'm not going to be mad about drafting them:

ILB Edmunds, NT Payne, NT Vea, RB Guice, S James

 

But if we are at #13 and don't draft one of those guys, I'll be bummed. Obviously a lot will depend on FA, and if we were to draft, say Ridley at #13, I wouldn't be over the moon about it, but I would see it as a solid pick. But that would be a scenario where I'd hope to move back and add picks. 

 

I think it would be one thing to move from #13 to #18-24 range and add either a 2nd or a 3rd. At that point you could likely still get a Payne or Guice or maybe even a Vea or James if they fall (unlikely). But if you opt to trade all the way back into the 2nd, you'd better get a lot of picks to spread around ala the above with the Pats where you come away with some really good players at positions of need that line up well with BPA. 

 

Finished out the trades mock with: (1): RB Michel UGA (2) LG Hernandez UTEP (2) TE Andrews Okla (2) NT Settle VT (4) CB Toliver II LSU (5) QB Lauletta Rich (6) ILB Sam ASU (7) WR Callaway UF (7) WR Wieneke SDSU

 

Here's your stand-pat draft:

(1) NT Payne Bama (2) RB Chubb UGA (4) WR Burnett USC (5) CB Toliver II LSU (6) ILB Sam ASU (7) WR Wieneke SDSU (7) OC Bozeman Bama

 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.