Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Got to think were trading back now to recover an extra pick in the second or third.

Maybe. I guess it depends on who's there. If Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds are gone ... it looks like Derwin James has a chance of falling. How much would he be BPA on our defense or fill a need? Would we be good selecting him at #13 or do we look at the talent on the board and think we can get a guy in the 20's and add picks? Trade down makes logical sense, but it almost never works out the way you (as fans) want it to. One FanSpeak Bills offered me 21 and 22 for 13 and then offered me their 21 & 24 picks in R2 for our 2nd. It got me Rashaad Evans, DaRon Payne, Isaiah Wynn and Nick Chubb. Building that Georgia rushing attack to match the run-stopping Bama defense lol. I could see the 21/22 for 13 trade if Mayfield was there and Bills wanted him. But not trading two 2nd to move up 10 spots ... way too rich to be realistic. Surprised FanSpeak allowed that. They're usually pretty accurate. 

I think a trade back might make sense.  Obviously it depends on who is available - I don’t want them foregoing a perceived stud for an extra 4th or 5th, for example.  Quantity is good, but not at the expense of quality.  We have multiple needs though (and just added corner to the list).  

Anyway, a trade back into the 20’s gives you a shot at maybe Guice, Michel or one of the top interior olinemen.  A double trade back for a couple mid rounders should be considered as well.  I’m afraid they might go with a receiver after a trade back, even though I’m not sure the value will be there (really like Gallup and St. Brown though, Washington too), or a position that already has the top talents off the board.  As I’ve said before, I’d rather draft one of the top talents at their position than jump on a position there’s been a run on.  

Really hope they land a back in the first two rounds.  Also hoping they wind up with a TE in the mid rounds, but I think G, ILB, receiver and corner will be higher priorities for them.  

The more I think about, the more I think they go with a heavy focus on offense.  They need to give Smith weapons (from both a team and PR standpoint).  

Edit:  we don’t have much room for FA, but I expect one fairly splashy signing. Might (only) be Brown, but dline is the most likely IMO.  I can see the logic in picking up a back in FA, but I’d rather have one of the top backs in the draft.  

I'm bummed.  The draft is exciting but a good number of these rookies never reach their potential.  The asking price for Smith was allegedly a 2nd round pick.  I think I might have given the 2nd instead of Fuller + the 3rd.  Or, I might go the cheap route and just take whichever vet was available in March.  Instead of Cousins we now have Smith minus Fuller and the 3rd.  More needs.  I was thinking the 3rd round would be right for a Guard  - I hope the Skins get lucky in the 4th.  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Edit:  we don’t have much room for FA, but I expect one fairly splashy signing. Might (only) be Brown, but dline is the most likely IMO.  I can see the logic in picking up a back in FA, but I’d rather have one of the top backs in the draft.  

Pugh, Norwell, or Richardson is going to be the splash.

16 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Pugh, Norwell, or Richardson is going to be the splash.

I could buy that.  What’s the story with Richberg (if I have the right guy/spelling) - C for the Giants?

I ask because Roullier could man the LG spot instead.  

Landing a DT in FA opens up the options in the 1st, IMO.  Fitzpatrick or Smith, or trade back maybe.  

I’d like to land one of the top TEs in the 4th, though as I said before, we probably go corner/ILB over TE.  

Not sure where we find a WR though...

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Sheldon Richardson or Paul? 

Cant see us paying huge $$ for a LG when we are about to pay Scherff and already paying top $$ to Moses and Trent. 

Sheldon. I still don't think Norwell gets a contract from us but I am hoping for it. Would fix a lot of problems on that side of the line for sure.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I could buy that.  What’s the story with Richberg (if I have the right guy/spelling) - C for the Giants?

I ask because Roullier could man the LG spot instead.  

Landing a DT in FA opens up the options in the 1st, IMO.  Fitzpatrick or Smith, or trade back maybe.  

I’d like to land one of the top TEs in the 4th, though as I said before, we probably go corner/ILB over TE.  

Not sure where we find a WR though...

I haven't looked into the center choices yet. My gut tells me Roullier is our starting center for the long haul. I think more depth can be had via draft for the DL rather than OL but I wont be upset if they do either one. They need to land at least a mid tier receiver in FA and someone on either side of the line. I would personally trade back and pick up a second after signing Norwell or Pugh in FA. Nab a DL in the draft late in the first. Pick up a RB and TE/WR in the second. A guy can dream.

10 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I like the idea of drafting a qb, both for the long term, but also to replace McCoy sooner than later.  Don’t like the idea of giving up our 2nd and 3rd for the qb position though.  We have some serious needs.  2nd is the perfect spot to land a really good rb I think.  

In the grand scheme of life I agree, but a decent starter now and a long term solution would be great too.  Although a part of me loves the thought of no QB controversy for at least a year...

RB in the 2nd depends on how the chips fall.  This is one we can't truly argue until the draft.  I certainly understand why people see the value there, but there is a decent chance many options are gone by our 2nd.  

Maybe Arden Key (if he does drop due to some concerns) Payne if he lasts with 21 or 22 if Bills trade would work?  Then best RB with our 2nd and then QB later with acquired 2nd?  

IDK, just trying to see a plan going forward.  I think Smith will do well, but I'd like to see something that seems like there is more than just job saving attempts here.

edit: even with the buzz some guys drop a bit.  Maybe holding out until 4th and seeing what happens is fine.  Mind might be racing a bit, with the way this FO operates.

47 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

In the grand scheme of life I agree, but a decent starter now and a long term solution would be great too.  Although a part of me loves the thought of no QB controversy for at least a year...

RB in the 2nd depends on how the chips fall.  This is one we can't truly argue until the draft.  I certainly understand why people see the value there, but there is a decent chance many options are gone by our 2nd.  

Maybe Arden Key (if he does drop due to some concerns) Payne if he lasts with 21 or 22 if Bills trade would work?  Then best RB with our 2nd and then QB later with acquired 2nd?  

IDK, just trying to see a plan going forward.  I think Smith will do well, but I'd like to see something that seems like there is more than just job saving attempts here.

edit: even with the buzz some guys drop a bit.  Maybe holding out until 4th and seeing what happens is fine.  Mind might be racing a bit, with the way this FO operates.

Haha, I feel you on that last sentence.  

I’m probably a bit tainted when it comes to qbs - after the top few (in general, not this class necessarily) qb seems like a total crapshoot to me.  Part of that may be a case of opportunities - a 2nd round qb is likely given fewer chances than a 2nd round... whatever.  

Like I said though, I do really want a developmental guy there.  @Rufus T Firefly makes a good point about the 3rd maybe being the sweet spot.  If a few backs we like are there at our 2nd rounder, maybe we trade back a bit more and use both acquired picks to get that qb.  Who knows.  

Anyway, you’re right, we absolutely won’t know till the draft shakes out.  I also don’t like the idea of targeting a specific position, but... I hate the idea of missing out on a top back again in a pretty loaded class.  

Feel like adding a back and dlineman would/could go a long way toward improving our weaknesses.  For me, TE is the third piece of that puzzle (and I think we could get a well rounded one in the 3rd-4th), but I’m sure most won’t see it that way.  

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Only main change I see is instead of QB is look at CB.  To me that's less intriguing.  Ward or J. Jackson?  I know some discount the politics of this deal but I think it looms large.  That is, Alex Smith is a win now move.   And I don't think they want egg in their face with this move coupled with Kirk leaving so I think it amps up the need to upgrade the offense.  Maybe that transpires in FA.  But if not, I think it heightens a little RB and WR.    If its win now -- typically it takes longer for a young WR as opposed to RB to develop.   So RB maybe in the first or 2nd?  Not sure if there is a RB worth the 13th pick though.  So hope one of the guys drop to the 2nd -- Michel (unlikely available) Penny (maybe) R. Jones (maybe), Chubb, (probably), Kerryon Johnson (probably). 

From what I am seeing it is a pretty deep draft at RB. Maybe go CB in the first and RB in the second? Who knows. In an ideal world they would try to trade down in the first and recover their lost 3rd rounder.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:07 PM, Newera said:

Now we got Smith at qb.  I want Rashaad Penny.   We need an all purpose back badly.

Dont forget about Thompson. :)

6 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Trade up for Barkley 

If you really want to go RB in the first. I think Guice should be there at 13. I would hate to lose more draft picks in this draft. And Guice is pretty amazing on tape. 

I am almost done with RB's. Got a little side tracked with everything thats been going on the past couple of days. I will release my top ten backs this weekend.

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

From what I am seeing it is a pretty deep draft at RB. Maybe go CB in the first and RB in the second? Who knows. In an ideal world they would try to trade down in the first and recover their lost 3rd rounder.

I am still a BPA guy.  So not so much locked into position.  But playing devils advocate I am tired of fishing in the 2nd tier group of running backs.  It just hasn't worked. 

Last year, I was a big Dalvin Cook guy.  With the Vikings, he looked like a stud until he got hurt.  I liked Kamara, too -- took him on the board's mock draft.    They looks like game changers.  I am tired of these types:  Royster, Helu, Jones, Perine, Marshall, etc.

Yeah teams strike gold in the 4th round or later at RB, I guess we had a nice short run with Alfred but otherwise save Stephen Davis eons ago, it hasn't quite worked.

So I'd rather shop in the pool from:  Michel,  R. Jones, Guice, K. Johnson -- maybe N. Chubb-Penny

Then from the pool from:  Wadley, Freeman, Adams, etc.

I was reading Alex Smith has had a top 10 running game for most of his career.  I am a big fan of any QB needing a running game.  But yeah for me if this team is going to take the next step and play well late in the season in particular, I'd like to see them get more aggressive in upgrading the running game.

Months ago I was playing up Guice then I moved away from him.  If that dude runs a 4.4 in the combine as one draft geek suspected he might, I am intrigued.  He plays with such intensity-violence to pick up extra yards, if he has wheels, too...very intriguing to me.  His attitude when I've watched him reminds of Pierre Garcon. I think we need some of that with all the quiet dudes on that side of the ball.

Edit:  just saw your post about Guice.  Ironic. Yeah I agree.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Months ago I was playing up Guice then I moved away from him.  If that dude runs a 4.4 in the combine as one draft geek suspected he might, I am intrigued.  He plays with such intensity-violence to pick up extra yards, if he has wheels, too...very intriguing to me.  His attitude when I've watched him reminds of Pierre Garcon. I think we need some of that with all the quiet dudes on that side of the ball.

I love the tape I have watched on Guice. My only concern with him is he has had some knee issues in school. But my rankings dont take that into account. I only base it on tape. He is my CLEAR number two RB in this draft. But those knee issues????

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I love the tape I have watched on Guice. My only concern with him is he has had some knee issues in school. But my rankings dont take that into account. I only base it on tape. He is my CLEAR number two RB in this draft. But those knee issues????

Yeah he gets banged up and its a valid concern.  But yeah watching LSU games, he's a fun watch.  I recall there were even some scouts who said they liked him over Fournette.  

Even Jay joked about can this team have a quieter set of receivers than the ones he has.  Jordan Reed, Chris Thompson, Perine -- all these guys come off shy, quiet, understated. 

That's fine.  But IMO you want some fire in that mix. Guice isn't just a good player but I think brings some attitude. 

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article160594449.html

“He runs the ball like Warren Sapp played the defensive line for me at Miami,” Orgeron said. “He runs with an attitude. He's a great young man. He's here (Monday). You're going to love him. He has a great character and has turned out to be an outstanding team leader for us.”

12 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The only silver lining to that trade is that it means no 1st round QB and likely a later one gets picked. I'm still holding out hope they luck into the right move with a White or Lauletta. Bad news is, I thought the 3rd round was gonna end up the sweet spot for QBs and we have no pick there as of now.

It also means that we could leverage our pick for a lot more if one of those QBs drops... and if Denver signs Kirk, the no. 5 pick is no longer designated to a top QB, unless someone trades up with them. 

I agree in the sentiment that this would be the year to get a top-flight RB and not wait to grab someone in the mid-rounds. Perine could still turn out fine. And Chris Thimpson healthy is an ideal 3rd down receiving threat. But I want a bell-cow. We haven't had one since Alf and he was, in hindsight, not truly a bellcow or game-breaker. Portis was the last one I think we truly had.

To make a fantasy comparison, I want a guy who could end up in the Top 10 of a half point PPR league. I want a 15-20 carry, 4-5 catch guy who can break a long TD. If you hand it off on 1st and 10 from the 22, I want a guy that can get the edge and score. We haven't had that.

This draft is loaded at RB. And while I'd love to get a solid 3rd CB, or a nice rotational guy on the DL, at the end of the day there are certain positions, where if you "hit big" will absolutely change your team. Look at Hunt in KC, Kamara in New Orleans, Fournette in Jacksonville ... Elliott in Dallas.

A solid OL and stud RB can go a lng way, especially with Smith as your QB. I would prioritize the running game this off-season. Period. That alone could get us to 10 wins, without touching the defense. And the defense will naturally improve because of the injuries and picks we'll dedicate.

Teams that have been re-invtented lately have done so on the backs of a good defense and strong running game. We HAD a dynamic passing attack the last 3 years. It got us to 9-8-7 wins ... Cousins had the numbers, but we didn't have the balanced offense. Sure, we also didn't have the defense, but the NFL is moving toward more balance, control, etc. We had the gun-slinger and it didn't do it for us.

If you get a top running game, it automatically enhances your offense, even if you don't upgrade at WR this year and bring back the same options you had in 2017. I think our OL, when healthy, is really good. Throw in a stud LG and a stud RB, and I think the offense, with Smith at QB and no upgrades at WR or TE, is more impactful and effective in 2018. Throw in a couple picks on defense, improved health, and maybe a piece in FA and I think the defense is much closer to the Week 1-4 defense than the Week 5-17 defense. Add in a good offense, and we're back in the mix.

@clskinsfanTotally with you on Guice.  Easily the 2nd best back from the tape I watched.  While 13 seems early based off the mocks I’ve seen, he’s probably worth it.  

I could see a small trade back and still landing him.  If not though, I’m intrigued by some of the others - Penny, Jones, Johnson and Michel - and most should be available in the 2nd.  

Trade back, if you miss on Guice, go BPA, then RB in the 2nd (think a trade back there could work too if most of the above backs are still available).  Those trades might allow us to possibly land a 3rd rounder, or a couple 4ths/5ths we could use to move into the 3rd.  Would really like to have some more ammo in this draft.  

Bummed we traded away a good building block on D, but we can still take solid steps forward on both sides of the ball... particularly as we also get healthier. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@clskinsfanTotally with you on Guice.  Easily the 2nd best back from the tape I watched.  While 13 seems early based off the mocks I’ve seen, he’s probably worth it.  

I could see a small trade back and still landing him.  If not though, I’m intrigued by some of the others - Penny, Jones, Johnson and Michel - and most should be available in the 2nd.  

Trade back, if you miss on Guice, go BPA, then RB in the 2nd (think a trade back there could work too if most of the above backs are still available).  Those trades might allow us to possibly land a 3rd rounder, or a couple 4ths/5ths we could use to move into the 3rd.  Would really like to have some more ammo in this draft.  

Bummed we traded away a good building block on D, but we can still take solid steps forward on both sides of the ball... particularly as we also get healthier. 

I love Ronald Jones too. If we decide to go CB in the first I think Jones would be there in second. Maybe something like Ward at one then Jones with our second. I could live with that. :)

Archived