stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think the competition level is a fair critique for pretty much any smaller conference QB.

As far as his size, he came in at 6'2.5 217lbs which is an inch taller than Aaron Rodgers. I suppose it isn't "ideal" as in the prototype 6'4 230 or whatever, but it certainly is far from short and I doubt it would be any hindrance for him. He'll probably want to put on another 5-10 lbs of muscle just to help deal with the NFL blows a bit better but that's pretty easy to do.

As non American I'm not very aware of how FCS schools run there football programs. 

How does their strength and conditioning program look compared to the bigger colleges? I know the big colleges have own practise facilities and special coaches...but how about FCS school? 

And in general. How do FCS schools compare to the NCAA division 1 schools? Do they have less coaches? Less time? Worse scholarships benefits? 

4 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

As non American I'm not very aware of how FCS schools run there football programs. 

How does their strength and conditioning program look compared to the bigger colleges? I know the big colleges have own practise facilities and special coaches...but how about FCS school? 

And in general. How do FCS schools compare to the NCAA division 1 schools? Do they have less coaches? Less time? Worse scholarships benefits? 

FCS is actually division 1. I think it used to be known as D1-AA. As far as facilities I'm sure it varies from one place to another but they do have their own coaches and strength and conditioning programs. Not as heavily invested in as a team in, say, the SEC...but still D1 level.

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

FCS is actually division 1. I think it used to be known as D1-AA. As far as facilities I'm sure it varies from one place to another but they do have their own coaches and strength and conditioning programs. Not as heavily invested in as a team in, say, the SEC...but still D1 level.

Thx! I read that I should use the terms FBS and FCS. One of difference is the amount of full scholarships. Also the FBS schools in general make a profit (more then half of them) and FCS school don't. 

I only followed the "big" college (that's already a challenge from Europe) but this hole FCS thing is really interesting. Also the move from some teams from FCS to the FBS. 

Also this made me go back to some FCS QBs and check their recruiting. Most guys only had one offer and made most out of it. Would say the are late bloomers that flew under the radar. Rare kind of breed in this over analysed multi billion dollar college football cycle. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's hilarious.  I was just thinking we've heard they met with White but I don't recall hearing they met with Lauletta (maybe I missed it).  Multiple beat reporters have said the FO (presume Bruce) doesn't like McCartney and the feeling is probably mutual. Wonder if that has any influence on something like this when the emotions might be running a bit raw.

Craig Hoffman, 106.7, did an interview with Lauletta.  He said he sounds like Sean McVay, a football savant, the way he talked the game.  More so than the other interviews he's had.  He was blown away by him. 

I just looked it up, Mike White, isn't represented by McCartney.  Safer pick? 

That's troubling.  And is on Bruce.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's hilarious.  I was just thinking we've heard they met with White but I don't recall hearing they met with Lauletta (maybe I missed it).  Multiple beat reporters have said the FO (presume Bruce) doesn't like McCartney and the feeling is probably mutual. Wonder if that has any influence on something like this when the emotions might be running a bit raw.

Craig Hoffman, 106.7, did an interview with Lauletta.  He said he sounds like Sean McVay, a football savant, the way he talked the game.  More so than the other interviews he's had.  He was blown away by him. 

I just looked it up, Mike White, isn't represented by McCartney.  Safer pick? 

That's troubling.  And is on Bruce.

Sorry about double post.

4 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Thx! I read that I should use the terms FBS and FCS. One of difference is the amount of full scholarships. Also the FBS schools in general make a profit (more then half of them) and FCS school don't. 

I should know the exact numbers as my alma mater (and screen name) is an FCS school. I believe it's 20 fewer schollies. Also, FCS programs run the gamut. JMU, NDSU, and on some years Richmond, Villanova, Montana, etc. can run with anyone. JMU and NDSU faced off in the national title this year and NDSU just barely beat a probably better JMU team. NDSU has been routinely beating FBS schools over their crazy run since 2010 ... JMU beat ranked Va. Tech in 2010 and proceeded to go 6-5 and miss the playoffs in FCS that year ... and this year beat a bad East Carolina team 34-14 on the way to a 14-1 season (lone loss being in the title game to 13-1 NDS). JMU, NDSU, etc. put out about 2-4 pro prospects each yaer with most being UDFA type guys.

Every now and then you'll get an elite prospect, typically an overlooked or late-developing QB (or a transfer) ... Joe Flacco (Pitt to Delaware) ... Carson Wentz ... Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois) ... Steve McNair (Alcorn State) ... and some studs elsewhere (Brian Westbrook - Villanova)

At the other end of the spectrum, you have piss-poor FCS teams that barely get funded and invested in and are doormats with little NFL talent.

JMU has a football budget of $30+ million and a 24k seat stadium ... which is Top 3 if not #1 for FCS investment. Gary Clark and Charles Haley are our most notable alumni, from the days when JMU wasn't a big program at all. More recently, Arthur Moats is a staple on the Steelers at LB and Rashad Davis is a rookie safety on Philly. Akeen Jordan is probably out of the league now but was bouncing around the league for 7-8 years (including a quick stint in DC). JMU also has a couple OL-men in the league

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Well, like I said earlier, before I even read this article.  Lauletta is being compared to Garoppolo.   And, would be Bill's perfect replacement for losing Jimmy G.  Who he reluctantly traded at the request of Brady and the owner.  They need a back up.    After all they took Garoppolo in the second round.  Pick 62.  However, the Pats have the Niners second round pick.  So I'm thinking because his stock is rising, he might not even be available after the second round.  Just sayin.  He definitely won't get out of the third round.  I think he is going to be a keeper.  I was high on Jimmy G. as well.  I wouldn't touch Darnold, Allen, or Jackson in the first.  

Plus, the Pats have the luxury of being able to take a guy like him with one of their second round picks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-senior-bowl-one-player-scientifically-engineered-to-be-bill-belichicks-perfect-qb/

Edited by Newera

Any mock I've seen all have too many defensive players in the top 20. There's no way that it works out like that. Nelson is the only Olineman there too. I can't believe there won't be a couple tackles moving up, even if Nelson is one of the best in the draft. We've got the chance to draft a game changer on defense. I'd bet there's only 2 CB's and 1 LBer off the board at most when we draft.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Any mock I've seen all have too many defensive players in the top 20. There's no way that it works out like that. Nelson is the only Olineman there too. I can't believe there won't be a couple tackles moving up, even if Nelson is one of the best in the draft. We've got the chance to draft a game changer on defense. I'd bet there's only 2 CB's and 1 LBer off the board at most when we draft.

Here's a look at the last few years drafts by position taken in the first 20 (from profootballreference, and I'll admit that some people are characterized incorrectly like Gs as Ts or OLBs as DEs):

2017 - 4 DEs, 3QBs, 2 RBs, 3WRs, 2Ss, 3CBs, 1LB
2016 - 3 DEs, 2QBs, 1 RB, 1 WR, 2S, 3CBs, 2LBs, 4Ts, 1C, 1DT
2015 - 2 QBs, 2LBs, 4 WRs, 3Ts, 1 DE, 2 RBs, 3 CBs, 2 DTs, 1 C

Every year is different but its definitely possible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree there is usually fallers.  I read that Bears are heavily interested in O line.  Giants could trade down and go O line.  Cincy supposedly looking O line, too.  Here's a mock from SB nation from the other day, has us taking Lamar Jackson.  I'd put money that we aren't taking Jackson.   Of the guys talked about here a lot. I almost never see Roquan Smith drop to 13.  Vea usually still there but sometimes not. Payne just about always there.

Some here early on thought Ridley was a slam dunk top 10 pick. If mocks have any merit (and arguably they don't :() he's typically still available at 13.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2018/1/29/16942546/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-baker-mayfield-josh-rosen-sam-darnold

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Here's a look at the last few years drafts by position taken in the first 20 (from profootballreference, and I'll admit that some people are characterized incorrectly like Gs as Ts or OLBs as DEs):

2017 - 4 DEs, 3QBs, 2 RBs, 3WRs, 2Ss, 3CBs, 1LB
2016 - 3 DEs, 2QBs, 1 RB, 1 WR, 2S, 3CBs, 2LBs, 4Ts, 1C, 1DT
2015 - 2 QBs, 2LBs, 4 WRs, 3Ts, 1 DE, 2 RBs, 3 CBs, 2 DTs, 1 C

Every year is different but its definitely possible.

As for top 13.

If you run through mocks buzz.  These 8 guys are almost for sure gone

A.  Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield (post senior bowl), Barkley, Chubb, M. Fitzpatrick, Q. Nelson

Then you typically have these guys gone

B. Orlando Brown or McGlinchey or both, Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward

All that has to happen is a wild card to bounce one of these guys to #13 and you almost always get a wild card event or two.  Someone like Josh Jackson so another corner goes early.  Or someone goes receiver Ridley or Sutton or both guys go early, etc.  Someone loves Derwin James. 

That's sort of what happened last year. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

As for top 13.

If you run through mocks buzz.  These 8 guys are almost for sure gone

A.  Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield (post senior bowl), Barkley, Chubb, M. Fitzpatrick, Q. Nelson

Then you typically have these guys gone

B. Orlando Brown or McGlinchey or both, Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward

All that has to happen is a wild card to bounce one of these guys to #13 and you almost always get a wild card event or two.  Someone like Josh Jackson so another corner goes early.  Or someone goes receiver Ridley or Sutton or both guys go early, etc.  

That's sort of what happened last year. 

In some senses yeah, but a player always drops. Nobody thought Rodgers would drop and nobody thought Allen would Drop. Heck Williams and Sheldon dropped further than I was seeing them in mocks. Teams get needy, especially early in the draft when they think a player is taughted by a lot of other teams, which causes other guys to drop.

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

In some senses yeah, but a player always drops. Nobody thought Rodgers would drop and nobody thought Allen would Drop. Heck Williams and Sheldon dropped further than I was seeing them in mocks. Teams get needy, especially early in the draft when they think a player is taughted by a lot of other teams, which causes other guys to drop.

I just laid it out scenarios for why I think a player will drop and I said I expect they will.  So we are arguing on the same side of the same point.  I just played with specifics to lay out potentials.  But yeah I agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey there ya are..hadnt seen ya round for a minute...what's ur take on the draft..what direction would you like to see the skins go..I seen one mock show us going for that Wyoming qb..I assume that's for a if Kirk leaves scenario..which leads me to if Kirk is tagged again could we go with the cowboy qb?..I wouldn't mind that rb from Penn or the best guard available at 13.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

.I wouldn't mind that rb from Penn or the best guard available at 13.

Are you talking about Barkley? If so then we could be picking ten spots higher and likely not get him.

Edited by UKskins

1 hour ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Hey there ya are..hadnt seen ya round for a minute...what's ur take on the draft..what direction would you like to see the skins go..I seen one mock show us going for that Wyoming qb..I assume that's for a if Kirk leaves scenario..which leads me to if Kirk is tagged again could we go with the cowboy qb?..I wouldn't mind that rb from Penn or the best guard available at 13.

Only Guard worth that pick would be Nelson if he falls... Likely wont, and like UK said, Barkley will already have signed his contract by the 13th pick... . him falling that far would be less likely than Allen falling to us last year. 

I have the odd feeling that all the mocks are wrong. That we won't see the early QB run. Because the solid depth this year teams will be looking to grab one at the end of first or early second. Like the 2014 draft where Cleveland grabbed Maziel late first and Raiders Carr early second. 

These QBs this year are just filled with question marks. Nothing sure fire about them.

But it's the NFL so I'm probably wrong...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I have the odd feeling that all the mocks are wrong. That we won't see the early QB run. Because the solid depth this year teams will be looking to grab one at the end of first or early second. Like the 2014 draft where Cleveland grabbed Maziel late first and Raiders Carr early second. 

These QBs this year are just filled with question marks. Nothing sure fire about them.

I have the same feeling, it would not shock me if Mayfield and/or Allen are there at 13

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I have the same feeling, it would not shock me if Mayfield and/or Allen are there at 13

I would be big time surprised though FA though is a big wild card that can change that dynamic.

Too many QB needy teams:  Giants, Browns, Cards, Bills, Broncos -- maybe Redskins?  And they are all pick in the first half of the first round.

Heck I just read an article here from the Dolphin reporter that people shouldn't be surprised if they take a QB in the first round.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

A decent amount depends on what happens in FA at the QB position as well. If Kirk goes to another team, Smith gets traded, maybe someone picks up Bradford. You'll also have Teddy B or Keenum, depending on what the Vikes decide to do. That will have a big impact on the QBs taken as well.

Edited by mistertim

6 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I want an impact player on defense. We have a shot at a top FS, ILB, DT, DE. Our defense looked great before injury and they're young. It's our strength. 

Oline and RB are huge needs too, but Nelson won't drop to us I don't think.

• Like 1