stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in the second or third round over anyone not named Darnold or Rosen in the first round in this draft is something worth thinking about. If Lauletta's team had a B between the F and the S he'd have tons more hype behind him. 

• Like 1

Book it - Isaiah Wynn OG Georgia in the third round.

Fits all the criteria for our 3rd round pick.

- From an SEC school 

- Injured (tore his labrum in Senior Bowl practice)

- Will be available later than projected due to the injury

Not for nothin, but he also looked pretty good at the Senior Bowl while practicing with that torn labrum.

Plug him into our lineup and our online is beast.

• Like 2

So J. Allen looked good in his highlights, definitely reminded me of Rivers but much more mobile. I was Pretty impressed. His stats really leave a lot to be desired, but I could see why Kiper outlandishly has him as his number one prospect. We have to remember the draft is long term potential. Who knows?

Really Starting to wonder how the whole QB mambo in the draft and FA shakes out. Lots could change quickly, let’s not forget the Jags were 3-13 last year.  Hoping for Miracles for our Skins..

• Thanks 1

I'm not a QB guy. I don't like scouting them, neither do I have any feel for picking the good one. So don't put to much into this. 

But I think Allen really did some nice stuff during the game. For a guy with accuracy issues his touch passes where pretty damm nice. So maybe the guy just played on a team with crappy player.

• Like 1

More Mike White hype. Wonder which top 3 QB, Galko is referring to?   

I just watched his game against Alabama on youtube -- I guess i picked the wrong game to start, they really handled White good. 

Marshall added,

Jordan Plocher @PFF_Jordan
WKU QB Mike White belongs on the list of the top QBs for the 2018 draft, his 78.2 adjusted completion % ranks No. 2 among returning FBS QBs.
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

We’re going to look back and laugh that we didn’t talk about Mike White and Kyle Lauletta a helluva lot more in the 2018 Draft class. Both will be better than at least one of the top-3 QBs.

Found this from PFF take on him.  My only thing though on White if he's jumping as and on the radar hyped QB -- what's going to stop him for entering the first round?  That's how its mostly worked of late with risers like that.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-wku-qb-mike-white-is-on-par-with-nations-elite

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

This was probably posted earlier, but with his good showoff today,

He took quite a beating last season suffering 44 sacks !

22 minutes ago, FrFan said:

He took quite a beating last season suffering 44 sacks !

In that Alabama game I referred to, I saw our old friend Jonathan Allen demolish him on one play. 

Judging purely on hype.  The Senior Bowl helped Baker Mayfield.  And helped Lauletta and White immensely.  Josh Allen's arrow pointing down some but maybe revived after the game yesterday.

i am still on the record of not being even a little excited about moving on at QB.  But considering all the scuttlebutt, I think at least 50-50 it goes down.    So I think the next step if it goes down is do they get any trade value for him?  If its high pick, I think all of a sudden we are in the Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen conversation potentially.    Personally, I like Darnold from that mix.  

If we are stuck at #13 -- then Rudolph if Finlay is correct and that they like him?  Unless they can trade down a little and still pick him up.  But I wonder if Arizona lets him go past them at 15.  Wonder if White sneaks into the first round.  I doubt they'd wait until the third round to take a QB.  Maybe White or Lauletta in the 2nd?    I see Kiper sees Lauletta as a 3-5th rounder if he had a good senior bowl.     I've personally watched 4 of the big 5 QB names quite a bit.  i haven't watched really anything from Allen, White, Lauletta so I don't have any feel for them aside from what I saw this week.   And I know guys can get overplayed after the Senior bowl.  Heck I remember getting jazzed when we took Senior Bowl star Leonard Hankerson years back. :)

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I really, really hate the idea of going qb in the 1st or 2nd.  We lose out on a guy can help our roster immediately and take a major step back at qb.  At least if we wait until the 3rd we can improve a couple of our weaker areas even if our qb position (still) suffers.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I really, really hate the idea of going qb in the 1st or 2nd.  We lose out on a guy can help our roster immediately and take a major step back at qb.  At least if we wait until the 3rd we can improve a couple of our weaker areas even if our qb position (still) suffers.  

If we lose Cousins I think we are forced to take a QB in the first 2 rounds. Mccoy will be starting most likely and having a young guy sit behind him for a year would be a good thing. Mccoy has been in the system for 5 years and knows it well.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If we lose Cousins I think we are forced to take a QB in the first 2 rounds. Mccoy will be starting most likely and having a young guy sit behind him for a year would be a good thing. Mccoy has been in the system for 5 years and knows it well.

I don't disagree, I just think the "forced" bit is what I have a problem with.  Seems like it would be more of a PR issue than a strategic one.  Mainly because I'm not sure there's that big of a gap between Rudolph or whoever and a mid round qb.  As I said, I'd focus on improving our other areas (NT/RB, for example) rather than force a pick at qb.  

Edited by skinny21

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Wait and see, If Kirk goes we'll be drafting 2 QBs again. One in the first then another one of these sleepers in the later rounds.  

I hope not.  I hate it when teams that are consistently competitive have one suck year and grab their next QB with their high draft pick.  Then they plug that promising QB into an already strong team.  Skins have had weak rosters from 20+ years and are always looking for the QB to carry the team. 

11 hours ago, squatch66 said:

Book it - Isaiah Wynn OG Georgia in the third round.

Fits all the criteria for our 3rd round pick.

- From an SEC school 

- Injured (tore his labrum in Senior Bowl practice)

- Will be available later than projected due to the injury

How quickly can one recover from a torn labrum?  The Skins took fliers on injured DB players in the last two drafts because they didn't need the draftee to contribute immediately.  Skins need a LG to take over the position immediately - I think the expectations were that the Skins would look for a rookie to get reps beginning at the start of OTAs.  It will be interesting to see whether Wynn drops to the 3rd round - it's supposedly a deep class - - I'm not sure whether that increases or decreases the likelihood.

I don't see much drop off between the top rated QBs this year and ones that will be selected on day 2.  Regardless of the Kirk situation, we need to grab a QB in the draft.  I'd rather see the team pick up a BPA stud with our 1st pick and get a QB on day 2..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in the second or third round over anyone not named Darnold or Rosen in the first round in this draft is something worth thinking about. If Lauletta's team had a B between the F and the S he'd have tons more hype behind him. 

Again, he's not that good ... and if you draft him in this QB rich draft it'd better be in the 5th or later

So people are all over the place on Lamar Jackson. I've seen him anywhere from the #1 overall QB to #6 ... if he's there at #13 I seriously consider taking him if we let Cousins walk. This franchise would do that too. Always looking for the splash. Mayfield and Jackson fit the mold ... not much sexy about Rudolph, Allen, White, Lualetta, etc.

Put me in the camp that wants Cousins back simply because I want to bolster the roster and not re-set the team. If we had a Top 5 pick and a shot at a true franchise caliber can't miss QB I'd be more willing to move on ... but if we let Kirk walk and have pick #13 a lot is out of our control at QB. 

I'd get pretty excited for Lamar Jackson. He's got DeShaun Watson written all over him. He could come in and absolutely light things up and change this offense. Pair him with a Sony Michel or Nick Chubb in Round 2 and I'm thrilled. 

• Like 1

I can't sign off on running QB's. Just can't. Call me traumatized, but I'd much rather roll with a cat that works from the pocket, and is accurate

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I don't disagree, I just think the "forced" bit is what I hav a problem with.  Seems like it would be more of a PR issue than a strategic one.  Mainly because I'm not sure there's that big of a gap between Rudolph or whoever and a mid round qb.  As  said, I'd focus on improving our other areas (NT/RB, for example) rather than force a pick at qb.  

I think their PR situation is a factor. Not the be all and end all but a factor.   It was interesting to see even Cooley (who has said he's very friendly with Bruce) admit they are in a pickle here.  They PR wise are screwed in his mind (I agree) if Kirk thrives at Denver or wherever and this team takes a step back.  I think they got to fight fire with fire to some degree,

By that I don't mean that they take a QB they don't like just to generate PR buzz.  That would be a bit crazy.   But I do think if they are in love with one of the sexy prospects and it demands a trade up, they'd pull the trigger -- and that goes quadruple if they land a top 5 pick for Kirk.   If they have a top 5 pick and they love one of the top guys, I think they aim high.  Only wildcard in that case I think would be Barkley.  Could they win with Colt and Barkley?  Maybe. 

If Kirk is gone.  I do think they need to go QB in the early rounds if this draft is all that its hyped to be.

As for the Lamar Jackson stuff mentioned here and a ton I notice on twitter.  I don't see it here.  I can recall Jay in multiple interviews say he's not a believer in a read option dominated offense.  I recall reading that he wasn't into Kaepernick because of the system he played in.  Unless, Jay thinks he can convert Jackson to a WCO guy - I just would be stunned if that's who they drafted.  JP Finlay flat out said a couple of weeks ago, he's not one of the guys they like for Jay's system.  So I suspect we'd be wasting out time focusing energy on him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I can't sign off on running QB's. Just can't. Call me traumatized, but I'd much rather roll with a cat that works from the pocket, and is accurate

Same here.  I really don't see much of a comparison between Jackson and Watson.  Watson was a much more polished passer.

I can get on board with the Mike White kid out of WKU.  As much as everyone thinks this QB class is deep, I'm just not enamored with Rosen or Darnold or Allen.  Especially Darnold and Allen.  I expect those guys to really suck in the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Again, he's not that good ... and if you draft him in this QB rich draft it'd better be in the 5th or later

Can you give specifics on how Lauletta is "not that good"?

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Care to elaborate?

FWIW I would take Lauletta or White over Rudolph every single day. Don't care whether it is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds, whatever. Rudolph is such an unimpressive QB to me. I watch his tape and then tape of Lauletta or White and it is like night and day, especially when it comes to NFL QB attributes. Not even close. I really hope this Skins/Rudolph hype is just smoke.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So people are all over the place on Lamar Jackson. I've seen him anywhere from the #1 overall QB to #6 ... if he's there at #13 I seriously consider taking him if we let Cousins walk. This franchise would do that too. Always looking for the splash. Mayfield and Jackson fit the mold ... not much sexy about Rudolph, Allen, White, Lualetta, etc.

Put me in the camp that wants Cousins back simply because I want to bolster the roster and not re-set the team. If we had a Top 5 pick and a shot at a true franchise caliber can't miss QB I'd be more willing to move on ... but if we let Kirk walk and have pick #13 a lot is out of our control at QB. 

I'd get pretty excited for Lamar Jackson. He's got DeShaun Watson written all over him. He could come in and absolutely light things up and change this offense. Pair him with a Sony Michel or Nick Chubb in Round 2 and I'm thrilled. 

No way no how on Jackson.  He's not a pro QB.  Extremely inaccurate.  He won a Heisman with his legs.

Bill Polian has said he needs to give up on the idea of being an NFL QB and make a change to WR.

3 hours ago, PlayAction said:

How quickly can one recover from a torn labrum?  The Skins took fliers on injured DB players in the last two drafts because they didn't need the draftee to contribute immediately.  Skins need a LG to take over the position immediately - I think the expectations were that the Skins would look for a rookie to get reps beginning at the start of OTAs.  It will be interesting to see whether Wynn drops to the 3rd round - it's supposedly a deep class - - I'm not sure whether that increases or decreases the likelihood.

He will probably need a redshirt year to get over the shoulder but he's good enough that he could step in and play in his second year, especially if he gets back to the point that he could actually get some reps in this year.

If we are really looking at the longevity of the team then it is definitely something that should be considered. We can just as easily bring Long back on a cheap short term deal if his market doesn't develop, or just sign a cheap vet to the same kind of deal. Hell, we already kinda have that with Orlando Franklin. If he can get us through the year on the cheap while staying healthy then I would say that the signing worked out.

• Like 1