Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

On 6/8/2018 at 3:55 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Potentailly a couple of really intriguing options here in the supp draft at DB. I really think we could have a strong look.

Although I also liked the Jeremy Jarmon pick a decade ago in the supp draft so...:bye:

I liked the theory of Jarmon back then since we need some pass rush/D line help -- clearly ended up a bust.  Ditto right now, I have some concerns about corner -- love the theory of taking one in the supplemental draft but I know nothing about those guys just like I didn't know Jarmon.

The 2019 draft looks loaded at D line and O line -- so part of me thinks its not that bad to have some draft capital to trade up if need be.  OG obviously the bigger need than D line.  But in theory at least I am not sold that the D line is so good now that its a position that's off the table -- so if one of the Clemson guys or whomever drop to our pick and they are BPA, then you take him IMO. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked the theory of Jarmon back then since we need some pass rush/D line help -- clearly ended up a bust.

For some reason I seem to think we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 after we picked him and he didn't fit. That is a very distant memory though and could be way off base.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

For some reason I seem to think we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 after we picked him and he didn't fit. That is a very distant memory though and could be way off base.

They traded him if I recall to Denver when Shanny arrived -- he never made a career for himself so regardless of the system, he ended up a bust. 

37 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

From what I have read, he was a reach and is a project, but there is something they love about him. I'll ask... 

A little concerning considering where we took him (3rd round) although that's water under the bridge now.

11 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I agree and so do many others, that said, None of us are Bill Callahan, so there is hope. 

Yeah and sometimes these picks look like reaches initially but when they pan out, we look back at them positively. 

Hopefully, he is one of those (especially if - God forbid - we end up with as many OL injuries this season as last)

Sam Beal, CB, Western Michigan

Collegiate career: Beal committed to Western Michigan in 2014 and was rated as a two-star recruit by 247 Sports. He played sparingly in 2015 and made 15 tackles with one pass breakup as a freshman in 2015. The following year, he moved into a more prominent role in the Broncos secondary. Beal appeared in all 14 games and had 55 takedowns and eight pass breakups. Last season, alongside star corner Darius Phillips, Beal had two interceptions, 10 pass breakups, and 22 tackles in 10 games. 

Scouting report: Good height, length, fluidity, and awareness in coverage. Speed is what you want from an outside cornerback who could, in a pinch, play against slot receivers. Twitchiness isn't elite but usually impressive, particularly for a 6-foot-1 corner. Run-support is hit-or-miss. Usually knows how to find the football when it's nearing its target and has the athleticism to make plays on it. Overall, a nice, well-rounded but unspectacular skill set, and his size will entice NFL teams. 

Projected draft range: Rounds 3-5

MORE NFL

Brandon Bryant, S, Mississippi State

Collegiate career: Bryant was a rated as a three-star recruit by 247 Sports and committed to the Bulldogs in 2013. His redshirt freshman season in 2015 proved to ultimately be his best at Mississippi State. He had 63 tackles, 1.5 sacks, three picks, one touchdown, and three pass breakups. In 2015, he made 62 tackles, had one pick, and two pass break ups. Last year, he struggled to make an impact on a strong Bulldogs defense with just 32 tackles, and a single interception in 11 games.   

Scouting report: Good-sized, fast, physical safety who has the athleticism to be an NFL starter. Some questions about his love for the game of football and reactionary skills in coverage. However, Bryant does have the reputation as one of the strongest and fastest defensive backs in the country and there won't be questions about his frame at 6-0 and 215 pounds. Made Bruce Feldman's workout warriors list prior to the 2016 and 2017 campaigns. Too often solely relies on his speed and twitchiness instead of taking proper angles and playing under control ... which could hurt him against faster players at the NFL level.

Projected draft range: Rounds 4-6

Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech

Collegiate career: After signing with the Hokies as a 247 Sports three-star recruit in 2014, Alexander made an impact immediately in Blacksburg, as he appeared in 11 games as a freshman in 2015, made 55 tackles, snagged four interceptions, and broke up six passes. His stellar debut put him on the NFL radar, and with 43 tackles, two more picks, and seven pass breakups as a sophomore in 2016, Alexander was widely considered a cornerback ready to make the jump into the first- or-second-round range in the 2018 class if he decided to leave school early after a strong junior campaign. Unfortunately, the weaknesses of the 6-foot-3, 197-pounder were really exposed last season with the Hokies. He played in eight games and had 27 tackles, one pick, and one forced fumble.

Scouting report: Tall, man-to-man cornerback who has experience making plays on the football in zone coverage. Being as tall as he is, Alexander lacks ideal change-of-direction skills and has a tendency to watch the quarterback for too long, a combination which makes him susceptible to routes with multiple cuts or double moves. His 2016 film was much better than 2017. Not slow but certainly wouldn't be labeled as a speedy cornerback. Has moments of good, willing run-support, but he's not consistent in that area. Big plus is obviously his length, which will allow him to get his hands on some passes when there's separation. Will struggle with faster and/or quicker wide receivers at the next level. Needs to almost solely cover larger, outside wideouts in the NFL. 

Projected draft range: Rounds 5-7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I feel like pre-season OL rankings are never accurate.  Especially for interior OL.

It seems like mock drafts always underestimate where interior linemen are taken.  If you looked at a mock in February, it would have had price borderline first and maybe Daniels and Hernandez in the second, but guys like ragnow and Corbett would've been taken mid to late rounds.  It seems the pundits haven't caught up to the trend that teams will take interior linemen earlier.  But the order in which interior linemen are taken doesn't seem to vary more than any other position group.  I would guess pass rushers or cornerbacks would vary more due to workout warriors.

I don't breakdown film or anything, but names that I've been reading for guard prospects are deiter and benzschawel from Wisconsin, and pierschbacher from bama.  These are the ones I see where consensus is high on them, but then there are a few others that are towards the top of positional rankings depending on the source.  Hopefully we can land one of them in the first couple rounds in 19.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A guy who covered Adonis Alexander at Virginia Tech obliterates him on Finlay's podcast.  Doesn't love the player (thinks Stroman is better) thinks he's a knuckle head who isn't committed to being good, said he wouldn't expend a draft pick on him.

Throwing that on top of the bits and pieces I've read I say nay nay to him

6 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Throwing that on top of the bits and pieces I've read I say nay nay to him

Yeah, I like the thought of looking everywhere to get the team better, but this guy just seems like there's too many concerns.  Popped for drugs (reportedly he came forward and said something, but admitted that was because he had anticipated getting tested), then academically ineligible to play this coming season...  You really worry about how he would work out.   

4 minutes ago, Guardshock said:

Per Tom Pelissero

We got Adonis Alexander in the sixth round of the supplemental draft!

Ha, first breaking news post!

Just saw that, seemed like a decent value given his scout report. And Virginia Tech, so you knew the Skins would be interested

Archived