stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

On 5/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, goskins10 said:

 

No one would do that. His trade value to another team is probably a 5th or 6th rd pick. He is worth more than that to the Redskins based on his knowledge of the system and what he can be when healthy. But let's but honest, he has been mostly a non-factor the last two years. Hopefully that changes this year. But to be honest I am not very hopeful. It will likely be more of the same - great when he is 100% and in the game - and then get injured and be a non-factor the rest of the year. 

 

Unless he is mostly healthy and has a great year I would expect this to be his last as a Redskin. He represents a $6.2M CAP savings if released next year. Not excited about the $3M in dead cap, but to me, again unless he has a great year, they need to look for another #1 TE. I can see that being a top priority next off-season. Vernon Davis is not timeless. And Sprinkle is never going to be a big time receiving target.  

It's a contract year and we should be competitive. He'll be fine this year. Soft selfish TE is never a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a contract year and we should be competitive. He'll be fine this year. Soft selfish TE is never a good thing. 

 

Not really a contract year. He has 4 yrs left including 2018. But after this year the team can move on with a $6M CAP savings (see below). As far as Reed himself, if he can be on the field, I 100% agree. He is an elite TE when healthy. My concern is that he can't stay healthy. I hope he is but so far he has not been able to compete an entire season. His games played are 2013 - 9, 2014 - 11, 2015 - 14, 2016 - 12 and 2017 - 6. 

 

I really hope he puts the injury bug behind him but the odds are not in his favor. 

 

image.png.f1e4cf8c56b76ebc203830ba184ee499.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

Not really a contract year. He has 4 yrs left including 2018. But after this year the team can move on with a $6M CAP savings (see below). As far as Reed himself, if he can be on the field, I 100% agree. He is an elite TE when healthy. My concern is that he can't stay healthy. I hope he is but so far he has not been able to compete an entire season. His games played are 2013 - 9, 2014 - 11, 2015 - 14, 2016 - 12 and 2017 - 6. 

 

I really hope he puts the injury bug behind him but the odds are not in his favor. 

 

image.png.f1e4cf8c56b76ebc203830ba184ee499.png

 

 

His complete lack of interest in blocking, not inability, his effort, is what made me sour on him years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PFF apparently reading this thread.  And perhaps for Koolblue ;) they did their early take on TEs for the 2019 draft. 

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-devy-spotlight-the-2019-tight-end-draft-class

 

TIER 1

Caleb Wilson, UCLA

(Height: 6-4, Weight: 235)

    Receiving
Year School Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD
2016 UCLA FR TE 8 16 220 13.8 0
2017 UCLA SO TE 5 38 490 12.9 1
Career UCLA       54 710 13.1 1

Wilson was on an 80-reception, 1,000-yard pace before his early-season injury robbed us of what could have ended up being been the top statistical receiving line of any tight end in the country in 2017. The dynamo scorched Texas A&M for an astonishing 208 yards on 15 receptions in the season opener and followed it up with an 11-catch performance against Stanford just three weeks later. A former high school quarterback, Wilson is still learning the position, but his size and athleticism are already proving to be a tough matchup for opposing defenses. He will have to deal with the loss of Josh Rosen this season, but if he stays healthy he will be on the short list of tight ends in consideration in the top 50 of next spring’s draft.

Noah Fant, Iowa

(Height: 6-5, Weight: 235)

    Receiving
Year School Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD
2016 Iowa FR TE 6 9 70 7.8 1
2017 Iowa SO TE 12 30 494 16.5 11
Career Iowa       39 564 14.5 12

Fant ranked 11th in the nation in 2017 with 11 receiving touchdowns and was tied for fourth in the category among Power-5 players. Like Wilson, Fant is a conversion project, as he was originally recruited as a weak-side defensive end. He ended the 2017 season with a six-game touchdown streak (including a bowl game), scoring eight times in the process. The Hawkeye should become even more of an offensive focal point in 2018 as he demonstrated some downfield big play ability in 2017. He’s listed by many outlets as the top tight end for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Isaac Nauta, Georgia

(Height: 6-4, Weight: 246)

    Receiving
Year School Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD
2016 Georgia FR TE 11 29 361 12.4 3
2017 Georgia SO TE 8 9 114 12.7 2
Career Georgia       38 475 12.5 5

Nauta was the consensus top tight end recruit in the country in 2016. After a promising freshman season, the blue-chip prospect was an afterthought in the 2017 version of the Bulldogs offense. The hope for 2018 is that offensive coordinator (and former NFL tight ends coach) Jim Chaney is now also serving as the position coach, which could lead to a little more dedication to involving the group in the offense. Quarterback Jake Fromm should also continue to develop as a sophomore and perhaps the team will throw the ball more.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF apparently reading this thread.  And perhaps for Koolblue ;) they did their early take on TEs for the 2019 draft. 

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-devy-spotlight-the-2019-tight-end-draft-class

 

Edit

 

 now also serving as the position coach, which could lead to a little more dedication to involving the group in the offense. Quarterback Jake Fromm should also continue to develop as a sophomore and perhaps the team will throw the ball more.

 

 

I was just looking at these guys a few days ago thinking who the Redskins might target if Reed is injured again - and maybe even if not. Not too early to take a quality TE. Was kind of surprised they did not take one this draft. Although the way draft played out not sure who they would have gotten. Honestly have not looked at it closely enough. I do not remember there being a lit of quality TEs in this draft - but maybe I just missed them. But I do remember that being a reason I did not go after one. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisiting the 2015 draft...

One of only two teams to get an A (the other was the Vikings).

 

True NFL Draft Grades: 2015 Draft, Three Years Later

 

WASHINGTON

1 (5) Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa
2 (38) Preston Smith, OLB, Mississippi
3 (95) Matt Jones, RB, Florida
4 (105) Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
4 (112) Arie Kouandijo, G, Alabama
5 (141) Martrell Spaight, LB, Arkansas
6 (181) Kyshoen Jarrett, FS, Virginia Tech
6 (182) Tevin Mitchel, DB, Arkansas
6 (187) Evan Spencer, WR, Ohio State
7 (222) Austin Reiter, C, USF

 

Nearly every member of this class was productive for the team at one stretch of the 2015 season or beyond. Preston Smith has had two eight-sack seasons in three years, while even Jones, who now plays for the Eagles, had 800 total yards and four touchdowns during his rookie season. Crowder was a Kirk Cousins favorite who logged almost 900 yards and seven touchdowns in 2016.

 

GRADE: A

 

54ac387da319d.image.jpg?resize=1200,1720

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 9:32 PM, bird_1972 said:

@volsmet Trent isn't a Guard. Is this kid an OT prospect? 

 

We need an OG somewhere in the 2nd-4th round range in 2019 draft to plug in as a starting LG. I wouldn't mind another OG in the 6/7 round range for a backup as well. 

 

Gray is tackle who some see as a better guard prospect. 

 

 

Maryland will have an unbelievable OL with a ridiculous stable of backs for Matt Canada to gut the big ten with. If the Terps could only lock down the DMV, they'd be a playoff contender each year. Seeing Ohio State start 4 DMVers is sickening. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 12:22 AM, volsmet said:

 

 

Maryland will have an unbelievable OL with a ridiculous stable of backs for Matt Canada to gut the big ten with. If the Terps could only lock down the DMV, they'd be a playoff contender each year. Seeing Ohio State start 4 DMVers is sickening. 

 

 

 

I mentioned Ty Johnson last year early on -- hoping he'd come out in the draft.  Really good player.  Though it feels good to go into the season without worrying about RB.

 

My current thoughts go to:  G, TE, OLB, ILB, CB

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

My current thoughts go to:  G, TE, OLB, ILB, CB

 

@Skinsinparadise, is this a rank order list or just the positions in no particular order? 

 

No QB listed as a need (as backup to Alex Smith)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 7:43 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Revisiting the 2015 draft...

One of only two teams to get an A (the other was the Vikings).

 

True NFL Draft Grades: 2015 Draft, Three Years Later

 

WASHINGTON

1 (5) Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa
2 (38) Preston Smith, OLB, Mississippi
3 (95) Matt Jones, RB, Florida
4 (105) Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
4 (112) Arie Kouandijo, G, Alabama
5 (141) Martrell Spaight, LB, Arkansas
6 (181) Kyshoen Jarrett, FS, Virginia Tech
6 (182) Tevin Mitchel, DB, Arkansas
6 (187) Evan Spencer, WR, Ohio State
7 (222) Austin Reiter, C, USF

 

Nearly every member of this class was productive for the team at one stretch of the 2015 season or beyond. Preston Smith has had two eight-sack seasons in three years, while even Jones, who now plays for the Eagles, had 800 total yards and four touchdowns during his rookie season. Crowder was a Kirk Cousins favorite who logged almost 900 yards and seven touchdowns in 2016.

 

GRADE: A

 

 

umm.. Matt Jones is a major bust.. he also had 5 fumble in 2015 and hasnt sniffed a starting lineup since getting benched in 2016.

Arie, was cut last year and only brought back in as an emergency.

Spaight has been a bellow average backup who is likely to get cut this year.

every player after round 5 is out of the nfl.

 

He did hit on 3 orut of the first 4 picks.. so I think a B is more warranted.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jarrett looked like a hit before he got hurt.  I never fault the GM for injuries.   You got three got starters out of it.  Two back ups.  If Jarrett didn't get hurt they likely would have had 4 starters.  Very good draft IMO. 

 

If your 5th rounder is still in the league in year 4 -- that's a hit. Statistically speaking your 5th rounders are mostly busts.  Getting a backup is a nice job at that spot. Kiper called it the best draft in the NFL after how the 2015 season played out.  

 

I think Scot is a bit polarizing I noticed.  Even with the talk radio hosts -- some love to have his back and some get a kick out of slamming him saying hey "genius" how did you screw this or that up.

 

Forget Scot as to this point.  But for any draft: 3 starters and 2 back ups is a job well done statistically speaking.   Just go through our drafts and others -- you typically have more misses than hits.  That's why accruing picks is so key.   One of the underrated aspects of the 2016 draft was they made trades to add 3 picks to the 2017 draft. 

 

So looking at the 2017 draft

Allen -- looks like a stud if he stays healthy

Anderson -- totally up in the air

Moreau -- totally up in the air but this year he will have his chance

Perine -- Tough call -- he sorted of started at times but is he good?

Nicholson -- looks like a stud if he stays healthy

Sprinkle -- up in the air

Roullier -- starter -- great pick considering he's a 6th rounder

Davis -- totally up in the air

Harvey-Clemons -- looks like a backup

Holsey -- totally up in the air -- good sign he's on the roster though

 

I think this draft should be at least as good if not better than 2015 if Allen and Nicholson stay healthy.  I've been rewatching games on coaches tape, I got admit I've not been impressed with Anderson watching it.   In the games I've watched when Anderson is given a rare chance he was really much of a threat.  Galette on the other hand when he enters the game, you notice, even if he's not getting sacks you can see the QBs feel his presence.   Hopefully, Anderson bounces back this year.  I read he got himself in super shape.  I wasn't really much of an Anderson guy before the 2017 draft but got sold on him after we took him. 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/virginia-techs-adonis-alexander-ruled-ineligible-declares-for-nfl-supplemental-draft/amp/

 

Adonis Alexander, cb from V tech, ruled academically ineligible and will enter supplemental draft.  

 

Draft analyst has him going somewhere between 5th and 7th rounds, but I think he could go higher than that.  Tall athletic cbs don't grow on trees.  I wonder how much teams knock him for not keeping his grades up.  If you can't get passing grades in the spring semester with all the help you get as a football player in a big program, holy cow.

 

Very interesting situation for the skins.  Gray will know him well and can make an informed decision on his character.  Skins will have 11 picks in next year's draft, so they could afford to use one here.  The only thing that I wouldn't like if they took him means they have to cut another cb who we have projected as being on the roster.  Assuming everyone makes it out of camp healthy, do you cut stroman or holsey and try to sneak them onto the practice squad?  I think there is a good chance stroman gets claimed, maybe holsey too.  Do you cut Dunbar for having the lowest ceiling ( debatable)?  Do you guage the Norman trade market knowing he probably won't be living up to his cap number in the last couple years of his contract?  My vote would be if everyone makes it out healthy to part ways with scandrick, he is only a stopgap solution anyway, and I think cutting him would be best for long term.  Interesting situation, be interesting to see if they pursue Alexander.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, skinny21 said:

A focus on an Alabama front 7 and Va Tech corners... sounds logical to me. :)

 

Not a bad way to build a team!  I just hope they stay away from University of Florida head coaches.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2018 at 5:13 PM, KillBill26 said:

Adonis Alexander, cb from V tech, ruled academically ineligible and will enter supplemental draft

 

Potential at safety with a bit of bulk added. Intriguing. Wouldn't discount us taking a strong look giving our connections. Late round pick, rare they get taken but good post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

 

Potential at safety with a bit of bulk added. Intriguing. Wouldn't discount us taking a strong look giving our connections. Late round pick, rare they get taken but good post.

 

From what I understand, this kid has talent and can play.  The only reason he is in the supplemental draft is because he was going to go back and be a starter at VT but couldn't qualify academically (as Kill Bill pointed out).  My concern with him is that he's a headcase.  

 

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/06/03/adonis-alexander-supplemental-draft-breakdown/

 

Quote

A lot of Alexander’s concerns stem from off-the-field issues. He was caught using marijuana in 2016, which caused him to miss the first game of the season. He also violated Virginia Tech’s team rules in 2017, which resulted in his being suspended for the first two games of that year. There’s also the reason that he is in the supplemental draft: he was ruled academically ineligible to play for the Hokies in 2018. While there could potentially be outside factors that play into his lack of success in the classroom that are currently unknown, the situation certainly is not ideal.

Alexander is also far from a perfect prospect on the field. His motor is inconsistent: he can make a play on one down and be a total non-factor the next. His 2016 tape is also much more impressive than his 2017 tape, as he looked less athletic in the latter season. While he flashed the ability to change directions well two years ago, the ability wasn’t quite apparent last season. Add that to the fact that his recovery speed is not that great, and one would be in their right mind to have concerns regarding Alexander’s athleticism. Whichever team selects him will likely have to bank on his 2016 self showing up, as opposed to his 2017 self.

 

 

You wonder if he's worth the risk... at 6'3 207, he may be.  And maybe having Stroman in the same group as him helps him maybe straighten out.  This worries me a lot though.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I could see him going very late. I wonder how he would transition to safety. I think we are all a little excited for VT DB's now, but I wonder if this guy isn't more trouble than he's worth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

 

You wonder if he's worth the risk... at 6'3 207, he may be.  And maybe having Stroman in the same group as him helps him maybe straighten out.  This worries me a lot though.  

 

No doubt it would be a risk. It is an interesting one though. As a team, we probably have 6 picks in the last three rounds of the 2019 draft. 

 

Not sure I'd part with a 5th, but as we have three 6th rounders pretty much in the bag, the team would need to judge the risk/reward I guess.

 

As noted, highly unlikely as a scenario but could be one we explore. Maybe more chance we bring in another vet DB if required, so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Potentailly a couple of really intriguing options here in the supp draft at DB. I really think we could have a strong look.

 

Although I also liked the Jeremy Jarmon pick a decade ago in the supp draft so...:bye:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, Anselmheifer said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23713470/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-trying-get-supplemental-draft


This kid is worth our extra 3rd next year. This move should free us to let Norman move on and spend that money elsewhere. 

 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Potentailly a couple of really intriguing options here in the supp draft at DB. I really think we could have a strong look.

 

Although I also liked the Jeremy Jarmon pick a decade ago in the supp draft so...:bye:

Best option, IMO I'd go as high as our 4th round pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RWJ said:

 

Best option, IMO I'd go as high as our 4th round pick.

I’d be Leary at giving anything lower than a 6th or 7th..Although he’s a young man,he’s already shown early on that he has other things going on OTHER than “just” playing football!!

We just traded (Cravens anybody???)a kid recently that showed very similar traits while he was in college(minus the suspensions,but tell-tell signs that he wasn’t all in)and we saw how that played out..I’d like to see ya set a higher standard as to the caliber of guys brought in,instead of “maybes”&”could be’s??)!!..just my opinion....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 8:14 AM, OVCChairman said:

 

From what I understand, this kid has talent and can play.  The only reason he is in the supplemental draft is because he was going to go back and be a starter at VT but couldn't qualify academically (as Kill Bill pointed out).  My concern with him is that he's a headcase.  

 

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/06/03/adonis-alexander-supplemental-draft-breakdown/

 

 

 

You wonder if he's worth the risk... at 6'3 207, he may be.  And maybe having Stroman in the same group as him helps him maybe straighten out.  This worries me a lot though.  

I would go no higher than a 6th or 7th.  Depending on the reason(s) for his academic ineligibility and his potential to make the roster, I'd go as high as a 5th...maybe.  OTOH, if he goes undrafted, chances are good that the Redskins would get the first crack at him as a UFA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.