Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A lot of these second to third round TEs can catch but they can't block.  Goedert and Geisecki offer value at 44, but they aren't going to make the running game much better.

We already have Sprinkle for the run blocking angle. Coming out he was considered a competent in line blocker, and competent pass catcher. 

What we need is someone athletic to replace Reed. 

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

We already have Sprinkle for the run blocking angle. Coming out he was considered a competent in line blocker, and competent pass catcher. 

What we need is someone athletic to replace Reed. 

If we had the darn 3rd and hadn't blown it needlessly on a stop-gap that wasn't needed (DAMN YOU ALLEN!!!!! I'm getting my mojo back), Ian Thomas would have been perfect. Miami's Chris Herndon continues to be overlooked down to the knee injury presumably. But man that guy can play. He'd be a great take Day Three. 

Hail. 

I would expect Jackson, Guice, and Chubb to be gone before we pick.  Just saw a projected round 2 draft that had the skins taking a tackle from Texas who is projected to be a starting Center. (Carter).  Don't know much about him, but we could use a starting center.  Think I'm in favor of dropping back in the second round and picking up a third if the option presents itself.

1 hour ago, Blanka said:

If you don't dig the player, don't dig the player. The All pro and pro bowl rosters are littered with guys from Pac 12 softness. 

I just checked.  The Pac 12 produced a staggering 8 out of 60 All Pro selections, including three special teamers.  About two more than the mighty MAC or Florida State alone.

Soft conference full of soft teams with rosters of soft players playing soft football.

35 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If we had the darn 3rd and hadn't blown it needlessly on a stop-gap that wasn't needed (DAMN YOU ALLEN!!!!! I'm getting my mojo back), Ian Thomas would have been perfect. Miami's Chris Herndon continues to be overlooked down to the knee injury presumably. But man that guy can play. He'd be a great take Day Three. 

Hail. 

we'd have had to use it as part of a trade up as the top guys were all gone by the time we picked

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just checked.  The Pac 12 produced a staggering 8 out of 60 All Pro selections, including three special teamers.  About two more than the mighty MAC or Florida State alone.

Soft conference full of soft teams with rosters of soft players playing soft football.

Sounds personal for you. I’m saying the conference doesn’t make the player the player makes the player. You’re using media hot takes. 

I actually agree with your take on Rasheem the individual player. He plays with a lack of aggression 80% of the time. I watched every snap of his career. Tantalizing measurebles but the effort is meh. I wouldn’t want him on my  favorite pro team either. 

But your rhetoric is clearly biased, I bet teams wish they took Jurrell Casey from a powder puff conference over guys like Nick fairley, Jarvis Jenkins and Da’Quan Bowers from conferences where they played real man football for example . Rate the individual. 

7 minutes ago, Blanka said:

Sounds personal for you. I’m saying the conference doesn’t make the player the player makes the player. You’re using media hot takes. 

I actually agree with your take on Rasheem the individual player. He plays with a lack of aggression 80% of the time. I watched every snap of his career. Tantalizing measurebles but the effort is meh. I wouldn’t want him on my  favorite pro team either. 

But your rhetoric is clearly biased, I bet teams wish they took Jurrell Casey from a powder puff conference over guys like Nick fairley, Jarvis Jenkins and Da’Quan Bowers from conferences where they played real man football for example . Rate the individual. 

Every program produces gems from time to time.  But on the whole, the Pac-12 has been underachieving for a long time and it's teams have played a soft brand of football.  Probably more great athletes than any other conference except maybe the SEC, but way too many of them are like Rasheem Green and lack the toughness and awareness to realize all that talent.  Washington has been the toughest team in the conference the past two seasons and they got schooled and called out by Alabama last year.  The only truly great teams that the Pac-12 has given us in the past 25 years were those Matt Leinart led USC teams in the mid-aughts.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Every program produces gems from time to time.  But on the whole, the Pac-12 has been underachieving for a long time and it's teams have played a soft brand of football.  Probably more great athletes than any other conference except maybe the SEC, but way too many of them are like Rasheem Green and lack the toughness and awareness to realize all that talent.  Washington has been the toughest team in the conference the past two seasons and they got schooled and called out by Alabama last year.  The only truly great teams that the Pac-12 has given us in the past 25 years were those Matt Leinart led USC teams in the mid-aughts.

You're missing Quite a few:

Oregon under Chip Kelly

USC under Pete Carrol

Stanford under Jim Harbaugh and to a lesser extent David Shaw

Cal under Tedford was good for a while and reached a zenith in 2004 with Lynch and Rodgers together.

Those were the squads. We produce great QB's, but we've been on a downward slide since Harbaugh left, USC's been a mess since Carroll left and Oregon since Kelly left.

Basically it was an excellent conference from around 2002-2010, now it's been on a slide for a while.

Part of it's culture, we have a lot to do out here and don't prioritize football like you guys, it's very much an outdoorsy culture, i know as many people into biking, backpacking, skiing and snowboarding where I live as I do that are into pro football and college football, probably more actually. In the bay area it was a bit different, up here in the Lake Tahoe area, traditional sports are popular, but nowhere near as much as say college football is in SEC country. 

Just been listening to some interesting talk from a former Packers/ Eagles/ Cowboys scout. He was saying talking to scouts around the league late last night and the reason both the best centre  the class Daniels and Harold Landry are still on the board with far lesser talent like Ragnow gone is they aren't looked upon as 'glass eaters' who really want it/ to give everything to football at all costs. 

Which is interesting. Always love to hear from Scouts who get to talk to these guys and are privy to all the 'good' stuff. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

we'd have had to use it as part of a trade up as the top guys were all gone by the time we picked

Pre Alex Smith trade -- I assumed our game plan was to draft one of the 5 big time QB prospects. 

I would have gladly traded our 13th, 3rd round and 5th rounder for Rosen at 10. That would also have allowed us to use 15-20M more in FA on someone like Hankins and another FA starter. 

I think the Bruce and Gruden think this year is their final year to produce and didnt want their career dependent on a rookie QB. 

Even though I think that would have been much better for the franchise and fans long term.  

Giving up a 3rd and 5th for a potential franchise QB?? Do that 8 days a week. 

Purely as a talent and scheme/team fit, Guice is better than Jones... easily.  Now of course, there may be some things we’re not privy to, but the things in the media don’t really bother me at all. 

Think drafting Jones over Guice would be a pretty poor move, IMO (if they were both available, which they almost certainly won’t be).  

22 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Pre Alex Smith trade -- I assumed our game plan was to draft one of the 5 big time QB prospects. 

I would have gladly traded our 13th, 3rd round and 5th rounder for Rosen at 10. That would also have allowed us to use 15-20M more in FA on someone like Hankins and another FA starter. 

I think the Bruce and Gruden think this year is their final year to produce and didnt want their career dependent on a rookie QB. 

Even though I think that would have been much better for the franchise and fans long term.  

Giving up a 3rd and 5th for a potential franchise QB?? Do that 8 days a week. 

I'd rather have the vet and fix the team

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Purely as a talent and scheme/team fit, Guice is better than Jones... easily.  Now of course, there may be some things we’re not privy to, but the things in the media don’t really bother me at all. 

Think drafting Jones over Guice would be a pretty poor move, IMO (if they were both available, which they almost certainly won’t be).  

I'll wager Guice will go off the board first tonight to the Browns. Makes perfect sense after their first round. 

Hail 

5 minutes ago, carex said:

I'd rather have the vet and fix the team

I think I agree. I have always thought that the lines need some time to grow together to really excel. They need to learn each others' moves, tendencies, and develop that near-instinctive level of communication. That's the downside of getting a one year rental like Hankins. He might be a great player, but will he be part of a great unit? By the time, the unit starts geling will he be gone?

Hankins is an expensive band aid. One we've tried with great success and tragic failure from everyone from Haynesworth to Phillip Daniels or Stubblefield and Wilkerson to the Mcs last year. I like the fact that Matt, Jonathon, and Payne may get a chance to grow up  together. Now, I'd like to get the great QB on the rookie contract too, but if we had to trade up to the ten we might have still lost our third and Fuller. We tend to give away the farm on trades.

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Part of it's culture, we have a lot to do out here and don't prioritize football like you guys, it's very much an outdoorsy culture, i know as many people into biking, backpacking, skiing and snowboarding where I live as I do that are into pro football and college football, probably more actually. In the bay area it was a bit different, up here in the Lake Tahoe area, traditional sports are popular, but nowhere near as much as say college football is in SEC country. 

I don't have a take on it either way but was just curious about this part. What does the "outdoorsy culture" of the population have to do with the players on the field or the perception of the players on the field from outside of the geographic area? Poor attendance (because people have so much other stuff to do) shouldn't have any impact on teams playing "soft" or "tough".

27 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

I don't have a take on it either way but was just curious about this part. What does the "outdoorsy culture" of the population have to do with the players on the field or the perception of the players on the field from outside of the geographic area? Poor attendance (because people have so much other stuff to do) shouldn't have any impact on teams playing "soft" or "tough".

I could be wrong, but I’d say think of it like USA soccer (Pac) vs much of the rest of the world (Sec country).  

The difference isn't attendance (though that could factor in), but rather the culture/focus.  

You know, I’m betting we could trade away our extra 5th and 7th and move up into the 3rd and 4th... if we wanted.  Didn’t realize our picks were so early in those rounds.  

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I could be wrong, but I’d say think of it like USA soccer (Pac) vs much of the rest of the world (Sec country).  

The difference isn't attendance (though that could factor in), but rather the culture/focus.  

You know, I’m betting we could trade away our extra 5th and 7th and move up into the 3rd and 4th... if we wanted.  Didn’t realize our picks were so early in those rounds.  

that's why we were doing pick swapping with other teams

5 hours ago, carex said:

so you don't think any of the teams rumored to be interested in him, the Chargers, Cowboys or Lions would have pulled the trigger at their spots.  Cause I'm looking around, and from what I see is maybe 13 is high, but 23 is low

da **** I care what cowgirls or chargers do, only care about us. So im not continuing this like i said i was pissed, have calmed down, the pick is fine, and actually needed as barkey in division now... Not trying to pick a fight when i am ok with the pick, just think we could have got more value out of 13 thats all.

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I'll wager Guice will go off the board first tonight to the Browns. Makes perfect sense after their first round. 

Hail 

If i knew you in real life brother I’d be happy to take that wager. Why would the Browns take a RB after giving the 26 year old Carlos Hyde 15 million and still having Duke Johnson? Don’t see it happening

PLEASE NO RB tonight Bruce. 

Interior OL before they're wiped out thank you. RB is deep. Day 3 is sound for even a quality 3-down cowbell. OL needs to be taken high today. I'm given pause by Broaddus saying he's been downgraded by a lot of teams down to them questioning his football desire, but on pure talent alone James Daniels at 44 would look F superb anchoring our line. Hell, if he's gone like I would think Hernandez or Connor Williams are by 44, go get Austin Corbett or Braden Smith. 

Fix the interior!!!!!

Don't put the cart before the horse. 

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

If i knew you in real life brother I’d be happy to take that wager. Why would the Browns take a RB after giving the 26 year old Carlos Hyde 15 million and still having Duke Johnson? Don’t see it happening

First round value on a far better back than what they have to add to their franchise QB and I'm sure OT to come at some point tonight? Have to take him early or the values lost. And they what, 3 picks the second? 

Dunno'. Just seems a logical move to me. 

Hail. 

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Just been listening to some interesting talk from a former Packers/ Eagles/ Cowboys scout. He was saying talking to scouts around the league late last night and the reason both the best centre  the class Daniels and Harold Landry are still on the board with far lesser talent like Ragnow gone is they aren't looked upon as 'glass eaters' who really want it/ to give everything to football at all costs. 

Which is interesting. Always love to hear from Scouts who get to talk to these guys and are privy to all the 'good' stuff. 

Hail. 

Man, this is it right here. Sure you get some freaks who dominate from time to time, but the best players, the best teams all have one thing in common. They study and live the game. It's why I love Payne or most Bama guys. It's the top immeasurable imo. Players who honestly just want to be football players and that's it. 

Archived