Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

No one seems to agree on who or what we do today. Can’t remember a draft with no one having any idea what is gonna go down

When a complete dimwit is running your draft like the complete dimwit we have running ours, it's not surprising nobody has an inclin. (Meh. Still doesn't look right. Sp?) He's liable to get hung up on a guy for his own personal reasons and pass on a real talent that would benefit the team. 

Hail. 

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

When a complete dimwit is running your draft like the complete dimwit we have running ours, it's not surprising nobody has an inclin. (Meh. Still doesn't look right. Sp?) He's liable to get hung up on a guy for his own personal reasons and pass on a real talent that would benefit the team. 

Hail. 

So your thinking the pick is Payne then too right lol. Couldn’t agree more Bruce Allen is the worst GM/Team President call him whatever the hell you want running any of the NFL teams today. I wonder if I bring a sign today to the draft that says Fire Bruce Allen if it can make it to TV (going to Cowboys stadium today) hmmmm

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

So your thinking the pick is Payne then too right lol. Couldn’t agree more Bruce Allen is the worst GM/Team President call him whatever the hell you want running any of the NFL teams today. I wonder if I bring a sign today to the draft that says Fire Bruce Allen if it can make it to TV (going to Cowboys stadium today) hmmmm

Dunno but you'll be my new hero if you do FWIW. :headbang:

It was an open lottery right for draft tickets?

Hail. 

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Dunno but you'll be my new hero if you do FWIW. :headbang:

It was an open lottery right for draft tickets?

Hail. 

Yup NFL Fan Mobile pass giveaway. Not sure I will do this simply because of the ammunition it would give the Cowboy fans I’m surrounded by. But damn if I knew it would be picked up by the news it would be a hell of a thing to do lol

29 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Can you imagine what would have been had the Phins not selected Dan Marino with the 2nd-to-last pick in the 1st round of the 1983 draft?  "With the last selection in the first round of the 1983 NFL draft, the Washington Redskins select Dan Marino, quarterback, Pittsburgh."  Marino, behind the Hogs, with a top-5-10 running game, and a few years later, the Posse, would go down as the GOAT GOAT.  Of course, then we trade back up into the early 2nd to take Darrell.  :->

There's so many weird angles with that draft. Apparently Rozelle blocked a deal the Bears tried to make with the Raiders for Elway, later, the Raiders took some lineman, and Al Davis flipped his lid when he found out they didn't take Marino (supposedly he was mired in all sorts of legal issues regarding the move to LA). 

Lots of weird angles with that draft. The steelers were rumored to take Marino, but the GM went against papa rooney's wishes, and took a pass rushing stud who ended up tragically getting paralyzed in a car accident during his rookie year, sounded like he was actually legit, supposedly they viewed him as their new Mean Joe Green. 

Some of the picks were totally inexplicable: 

the Chiefs take whats his face, literally, and never even give him a full season of starts using Bill Kenney repeatedly. 

The pats take Tony freaking Eason over him. What?!?!?!

Ken O'Brien was even weirder, but at least he had a legit NFL career and was pro bowl caliber repeatedly.

Two things screwed stuff up for him: major rumors of a cocaine habit, and his having sucked his senior year. Supposedly he and Elway were neck and neck 1A and 1B in the summer of '82 and then Marino's stock went into the toilet with his crummy year. 

Crying shame the Dolphins got him, I feel like he might have been able to lead another team to super bowls, but the Dolphins were like the Steelers, coasting on 1970's hype with coaches that were past it. 

One rumor (being from the bay area I've always had a bit more inside on SF Niner stuff) explaining that one inexplicable awful season from the niners between 1981 and 1998 (well i guess you can count 1991 too) was that the Niners had a HUGE coke problem in the locker room. Don't know if the rumors were true, but for people that are like 30 or younger, they just don't know how weird the situation was back then with coke, especially in the NBA and NFL, and to a lesser extent the MLB. Really ruined some great teams, and players: Imagine LT, and the 1980's Mets if they weren't drowning with coke problems, those Mets teams should have won more titles but I think cocaine wrecked it for them. LT was the greatest defensive player ever on coke. Imagine how good he could have been sane?

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’ve seen teams (at least i think) just straight up swap 1st round picks, without giving up a 2nd rounder as well. Say Fitzpatrick is there at the 10th overall, and the team that has that pick doesn’t need a DB. We trade up 3 spots. We get 10th overall, that team gets 13th overall. 

Maybe you have seen teams do this - but not NFL Teams. I can't think of one instance of a trade of this nature.

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Thank you for the work every one puts in here.. especially a big thanks to skinsinparadise!!!..

This is an exciting time of the year..to me it's all down hill from here to week one..I can't wait to see what the skins do in the draft..I'm getting pumped..my heart is all the way with ya skins..win lose or tie Redskins fan till the day I die..HTTR!!!

This almost sounds right but almost seems like there's always a little extra for that team that was at the 10 spot...like maybe they can have our fourth round pick next year?

Heck if those types of deals are going down lets just trade our 1st and 5th this year to draft Barkley at number 1? Come-on guys a trade up a spot to 10 will cost at least the 2d round pick this year.

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Heck if those types of deals are going down lets just trade our 1st and 5th this year to draft Barkley at number 1? Come-on guys a trade up a spot to 10 will cost at least the 2d round pick this year.

Yaaaaaa same difference going from 13 to 10 or 11 to 10 as from 13 to 1..

25 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

There's so many weird angles with that draft. [snip]

One rumor (being from the bay area I've always had a bit more inside on SF Niner stuff) explaining that one inexplicable awful season from the niners between 1981 and 1998 (well i guess you can count 1991 too) was that the Niners had a HUGE coke problem in the locker room. Don't know if the rumors were true, but for people that are like 30 or younger, they just don't know how weird the situation was back then with coke, especially in the NBA and NFL, and to a lesser extent the MLB. Really ruined some great teams, and players: Imagine LT, and the 1980's Mets if they weren't drowning with coke problems, those Mets teams should have won more titles but I think cocaine wrecked it for them. LT was the greatest defensive player ever on coke. Imagine how good he could have been sane?

Yeah, the 80's will always be known as the coke decade.  Obviously it had been around before that, but it went mainstream among very successful types - sports, arts, business, etc.  We (Skins) had a few guys doing it, but IIRC, the only homegrown players with a fondness for Peruvian marching powder were Dexter and Barry Wilburn.  A few others did, but we didn't drat them -- one was a CB early 80's I think, can't remember his name offhand.  OTOH, the Skins were more a drinkin' team.  I couldn't see the Hogs even being bothered to try a line of blow when there was a crate of beer around.  I can totally see the 9ers having a coke problem, being sort of the darlings of the NFL in the 80's and being more a finesse team than a blue collar/smashmouth team.

In a few years, you'll see a guy's draft stock go *up* if he's been productive in college *and* uses gangja.  "He's that good and he tokes???  Holy Humboldt County, Batman, this dude takes his game seriously."  LOL. 

48 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

This is a perfect example of me literally beginning to question my own sanity. I must not have watched the same team last year.

What do you see?

I see a team that performed in this way:

Emphatic Wins: 2

Toss Ups: 9

Emphatic Losses:5 

The team won 5 of 9 toss ups, slightly above expectations. Now add to that the fact that the NFC is much better, and I don't know where we go from there. 

When Vegas comes out with their over/unders I suspect well see between 6 and 7. Last year was I think 7.5 They're pretty darn good at this. Slight chance at 5.5.

I suspect:

Ceiling: 8 wins

Expectation: 5-6 wins

Floor: 3 wins

Not a lot of bad teams in the NFC anymore:

NFC East:

Giants basically lost all their playmakers to injury and had a cancer situation in the locker room, plus a crummy run game and bad OL, so they're going to struggle, but they'll be healthier and last years games were one score, close fought battles. So I think we're pretty similar in terms of overall expectation.

Cowboys are the essence of a .500 team.

NFC North: Packers, Lions and Vikes are all better than us, and the Bears are building a nice offense around Trubisky and already have a decent D. 

NFC South: Every single team is good except the Bucs last year, but the Bucs have just about finished building their offense, just need an RB and some more talent for the OL.

NFC West: Seattle fading, but LA is a power, SF is rising, and Arizona, while in transition, still have a good D, and should be better at QB in 2018, they're probably worse than us, but they're very difficult to beat in Arizona. 

I think the only teams that either are guaranteed to be worth than us, or could be are Arizona, Chicago, NYG and Detroit (Detroit fluctuates wildly year to year).

Definitively better, no question about it:

Philly

Minny

GB

N.O.

Atl

LA

Carolina-borderline (like Detroit they fluctuate all over the place because of an overdepence on Newton and a lack of depth). 

Laconfora's mock.  I saw a web site that said he had the most accurate pre draft mock last year.  I'd gag if it goes down like this -- not only skipping Fitzpatrick but doing it for Payne. :(

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/la-canforas-2018-nfl-mock-draft-giants-surprise-at-no-2-bills-trade-up-to-get-their-qb/

46 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I don't know if you have tickets on the floor but I saw on TV it looked like they divided sections for fans.  the Redskins section looked to be on the right side -- not that far from the stage, if you sit there, you have a shot at TV I'd presume.  I would assume they will pan to each fan section just before and just after the pick.

I'm getting a real good satisfaction right now at Baker going 1 overall. He's got the ****-kicking self-confidence to drag the Browns out of the gutter. 

BOOMER SOONER! :beavisnbutthead:

7 minutes ago, Panninho said:

When I wake up tomorrow, all I want to read is that we drafted Fitzpatrick. Is that too much to ask for?

Sadly, I doubt we have the balls to move up and I doubt in reality any DB named Fitzpatrick, James or Ward are there at 13. 

On the plus side, if the Giants take Barkley, a big ass nose will help massively with both he and Zeke at least in the division. Presuming Ro Smith is long gone too. Stopping the run is gonna' be key to any hopes of getting out of the East over the next good few years. 

Hail. 

Baker to the Browns could really throw this draft off, in a good way.

Also, I'm not really sure what to think about the DL-men.

Reading what some of our guys in here have to say, Vea is a disaster and Payne is a 2nd round at best talent.

I keep listening to these podcasts ... and scouts/former scouts/draft guys all have Vea as a better version of Haloti Ngata.

I don't know who to believe. I know people miss all the time on prospects. But Vea just seems to be cemented as a stud DL-men.

And for that matter, I heard this morning someone making Payne comparisons to Suh. They said he wasn't asked to do much at Alabama and he's just 20 and his upside is Suh.

So. I don't know if I can really be mad at picking either Vea or Payne at #13 until we see what they can do on the field.

Because if we draft Vea or Payne I have to imagine Manusky is helping make that call. And I trust the hell out of him.

Period.

1 hour ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Outside of the 4 QB's, there are 7 elite talents in this draft and we need to take any one who drops to us should they fall. I'd rank them in this order for us:

Barkley

B. Chubb

Nelson

James

Ward

Fitzpatrick (Lower than some due to just 13 snaps at outside corner. Should you draft a slot corner this high? I say yes if he's as good as Fitzpatrick)

Smith (Last only due to the fact that he is very similar to Brown's skillset. Not the best fit but he is elite)

If they are gone, I'd prefer to trade back and draft Vea however, my favorite underrated prospects in the draft are Hurst, Landry, and Josh Jackson. For those of you unfamiliar with Jackson, here is a snippet from PFF:

Iowa’s Jackson broke out with a huge season in 2017, not just leading all corners in overall PFF grade in 2017, but he had the highest grade we have seen from any of the corners in this class across their entire college careers. He allowed an NFL passer rating of just 36.5 when targeted on 91 passes, a lower mark than if the quarterback had just thrown the ball at the dirt every play instead. He is also extremely young at the position, having only moved to corner in 2015, so his potential is sky high.

I'd say there are only two likely elite in the class  -  Barkley and Nelson  (B Chubb is a maybe).   I'd be willing to trade up for either of them if they drop within range but no one else. I'd take any of the others you ID'd at 13 and agree best to trade down if they are all gone.

If we are dead-set on going DL, I think the best-case scenario for us if both Vea and Payne are there, is to trade with someone like LA (if they're willing) to come up to take either Vea or another guy that falls. Then we drop to #17, take their 3rd, and take either Vea or Payne there.

Nervous Fitz won't fall to us, as the Packers will jump us for him. But I also wonder if the Pack would jump up to take Ward, too, if he falls too far.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Nervous Fitz won't fall to us, as the Packers will jump us for him. But I also wonder if the Pack would jump up to take Ward, too, if he falls too far.

Bar an absolute out there miracle mate, and we aren't getting two after last year with Allen, Minkah was never falling to us.

He's a top 3 overall talent in this draft. The second best behind Nelson IMHO. Day one starter in any DB position you wish to play him and an immediate impact player/ upgrade to any D in the league. NFL teams are stupid. But in a draft bereft of blue-chip guys, they aren't THAT stupid to let one fall to the 13th spot. 

You want him, you move up for him. 

Hail. 

Archived