2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

http://draftanalyst.com/mock-draft-april-22-change-top

Washington Redskins

Vita Vea

DT

Washington

Analysis: Vea to the ‘Skins is the worst kept secret in the league.

And Billy Price in the second. Would be sick combo. Think that helps the team a lot. (I would go different guy in first but Vea is okay)

20 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

And Billy Price in the second. Would be sick combo. Think that helps the team a lot. (I would go different guy in first but Vea is okay)

As much as I would love to trade down and get Guice, or how much I would love to have Fitzpatrick in the secondary, I think nothing makes this team better overall than DL+OL combo in the 1st 2 rounds. Vea+Price would be niceeee.

Interestingly enough, the team that has the biggest need for a FS is San Diego. They also need a NT. But I wonder if we could swap with LAC, they take Fitzpatrick, and we take Vea at 17.

But Fitzpatrick is such a baller.

24 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Payne and Hernandez would be my two of choice. Not my top players, but it's hard to be upset upgrading your trenches. 

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As much as I would love to trade down and get Guice, or how much I would love to have Fitzpatrick in the secondary, I think nothing makes this team better overall than DL+OL combo in the 1st 2 rounds. Vea+Price would be niceeee.

Interestingly enough, the team that has the biggest need for a FS is San Diego. They also need a NT. But I wonder if we could swap with LAC, they take Fitzpatrick, and we take Vea at 17.

But Fitzpatrick is such a baller.

I think the slot corner is a sneaky potential weakness with this team.  We used to be train wreck level bad at that position but last year Fuller turned that around.  Scandrick has been awful in recent years, Holsey is a 7th rounder.  Our division rivals have studs at slot WR.  Having a guy like Fitzpatrick who can help shut down the opponent's passing game in between the numbers could be huge.  He is an asset to run stopping, the pass rush, he can sub in for Montae at free safety if he keeps getting hurt, etc.

We are getting depleted in the secondary.  I was just listening to 106.7 where Russell said from what he's heard this is likely Norman's last year here.  If so, that's out whole CB lineup from 2017 gone. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jeremiah seems to have changed his stance on Payne then, and I'm not sure why.

IMO every website and expert is pumping out Mocks like flu shots so they can create content and keep people engaged.

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

IMO every website and expert is pumping out Mocks like flu shots so they can create content and keep people engaged.

Stevemcqueen said that comment about Payne not me.  So not sure how you quoted that comment where it came with my name attached to it.  No biggie though. 

Agree mocks are about getting clicks and readership.  But they are typically the closest they could be to accurate this week versus the past -- and some of them take pride on ranking high as to getting their picks right -- new trend seems to be for web site to highlight who ended up the most accurate and if I recall those assessments are based on their last mock this week. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Stevemcqueen said that comment about Payne not me.  So not sure how you quoted that comment where it came with my name attached to it.  No biggie though. 

Agree mocks are about getting clicks and readership.  But they are typically the closest they could be to accurate this week versus the past -- and some of them take pride on ranking high as to getting their picks right -- new trend seems to be for web site to highlight who ended up the most accurate and if I recall those assessments are based on their last mock this week. 

I don't know what happened, I thought I was responding to him, sorry.

20 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I google "nfl mock draft" every other night and I think the more recent mock gets higher google listing. I think CBSports has a "new" mock every 12 hours to stay in the loop. 

I want new mocks but I want an actual reason for the changes. I feel like CBS is just flipping allen and darnold as 1st overalls to keep churning out "new" mocks. 

Currently cart before the horse situation, perhaps entering jump the shark territory. 

@SkinsinparadiseYeah, slot corner is probably our biggest positional weakness as of now.  I have hopes for Holsey, and I could see Scandrick showing more than he has with better health and (possibly) better pass rush/safeties... but it’s a major concern as of now.  

With that said, our biggest weaknesses as a team (running the ball and stopping the run) are far more pressing.  Not legitimately addressing the run (on O and D) would be a major failure for us.  

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't know what happened, I thought I was responding to him, sorry.

It's cool, nothing to be sorry about it.  Just saying I wasn't the one wondering why Jermiah's opinion changed on Payne, that was stevemcqueen 

13 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@SkinsinparadiseYeah, slot corner is probably our biggest positional weakness as of now.  I have hopes for Holsey, and I could see Scandrick showing more than he has with better health and (possibly) better pass rush/safeties... but it’s a major concern as of now.  

With that said, our biggest weaknesses as a team (running the ball and stopping the run) are far more pressing.  Not legitimately addressing the run (on O and D) would be a major failure for us. 

I agree running the ball and stopping the run is more pressing. I've probably made that point 50 times on different posts this off season so I am on board with that.  But IMO if you can get an all pro superstar at position you take him over a good player at a bigger position of need.  And its not as if slot CB isn't a need so to me its a no brainer to go Fitzpatrick over Vea.

The one thing I'd like about Vea is they have neglected the position for so long (like RB) that just getting that addressed for a change I'd be happy with -- ditto that I distinctly like Vea over Payne.

If we are talking purely about upgrading the trenches, I'd actually easily go with Hernandez over Payne.  Aside from Nelson who is in a league of his own, I think Hernandez is a monster at LG.  

I was just looking at ESPN insider's what they are hearing page from today.  Some of it includes:

Tampa is hung up on Derwin James at 7. 

Raiders love R. Smith but think he might be gone by their pick.  Their backup is Vea or Edmonds if they are there.

Bills and maybe the Cardinals might try to trade up for QB.

Giants are taking Barkley

Denver wants to trade down

Hurst might crater down all the way into day 3 because of health concerns

Durability concerns about Wynn might make him fall into the 2nd

• Michel and Guice could be off the board in the first five picks of the second round, but in speaking to some of the teams that are hoping to land a running back, they feel that there are other prospects who could be worthy of going in that range. Georgia's Nick Chubb and San Diego State's Rashaad Penny are both said to be worthy of high second-rounders according to sources at multiple teams. USC's Ronald Jones is as well, depending on the team. Between Michel, Guice, Jones, Chubb and Penny, there is likely to be a run on halfbacks in picks No. 30-50.

• Two of those teams that are in the running back market are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins. In speaking to sources at both of those teams, they like Chubb and Penny. If they miss out on Michel and Guice they still have good options available in those two. Chubb and Penny are options for each team's second-rounder. Jones is also in play for Washington.

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress#ixzz5DWXuY8qh

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress#Dk1PobRuly0owuuH.99

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we are talking purely about upgrading the trenches, I'd actually easily go with Hernandez over Payne.  Aside from Nelson who is in a league of his own, I think Hernandez is a monster at LG.  

I just saw Hernandez highlights this morning and I was blown away. All I could think is " man he's a grown man pushing around little boys". He looked like a beast. If we moved down and got him I'd be happy. I wouldnt have a problem with him at 13. I think we would have the best OLine in football.

12 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

I just saw Hernandez highlights this morning and I was blown away. All I could think is " man he's a grown man pushing around little boys". He looked like a beast. If we moved down and got him I'd be happy. I wouldnt have a problem with him at 13. I think we would have the best OLine in football.

Two players I really like Guice and Hernandez I think you can get later in the first.   So wouldn't love taking either at 13.  However, there is some debate today on the thread about the trenches.  For me, if I am purely looking DT and OL in the first round.  Hernandez would be my guy (assuming Nelson is gone).  Vea #2.   Hernandez would be like what we had years back with Tre Johnson, a monster mauler in the run game who can pancake and bowl over guys.  Sort of a classic Hog type in a good way.    I haven't really put a lot of thought into taking him until today and the discussion on the board.  But yeah if you want to go nuts in the trenches take this guy.    Imagine Trent and this guy coming charging at you at the same time on the left?

CBS *newest mock from 5 hours ago ... has us taking CB Josh Jackson at 13, passing on Ward (14th), James (15) and Fitz (23). 

They have SF taking Courtland Sutton at 9. Lamar Jackson going 11 and Mason Rudoph going 12. 

CBS is just randomly scrambling things around at this point. 

And yet I click on it and reward their click baiting ways.   

18 hours ago, bh32 said:

When Alfred Morris can average almost 5 yards a carry  than that should tell you something....fix the  OL and DL

There are no TE's that would help.  That was a big issue with our team last year, none of the TE's could block.  When Morris broke out, we had Logan Paulsen, Chris Cooley (barely), and Fred Davis.

12 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

@Skinsinparadise

And in an indirect way, I wonder if they think a Hernandez/Chubb combo or Hernandez/Penny combo helps the defense more than adding another impact defender. We could keep the defense off the field and better rested.

I think so, personally.  That's how Mark Bullock approached his mock for the WP.   Get your nose in the 4th round.  

I like Billy Price in the 2nd -- and previously I could see trading down in the first, take your RB and then get an O lineman in the 2nd or 3rd.  But watching Hernandez, that dude is a fun watch.   Better player IMO than Price.  

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

There are no TE's that would help.  That was a big issue with our team last year, none of the TE's could block.  When Morris broke out, we had Logan Paulsen, Chris Cooley (barely), and Fred Davis.

I was talking about how the Cowboys OL made Morris look good..

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

That still doesn't explained why he struggled to disengage against linemen that were quick enough laterally to square him up and latch on. It's also a technique issue which he can clean up but that was the reason he got taken out of plays routinely against Georgia and Clemson, not his strength. 

His playoff performances were one of the single biggest reasons they got the trophy this year.  He showed out on the biggest stage in CFB against the second and third best teams in the country.  What more did you expect him to do?

Mel Kiper Jr.Verified account @MelKiperESPN
FollowingFollowing @MelKiperESPN
More

UTEP's Will Hernandez is one of the best run-blocking guards I've ever graded.

CougarMatCoaches @CHSMatDen Apr 18

More

FYI, Hernandez’s overall grade in 2016 was the highest in PFF history. Yes, even higher than the kid from ND. #Hernandez>#56

DbE_xKDVAAAeStP.jpg
1 reply10 retweets10 likes

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Two players I really like Guice and Hernandez I think you can get later in the first.   So wouldn't love taking either at 13.  However, there is some debate today on the thread about the trenches.  For me, if I am purely looking DT and OL in the first round.  Hernandez would be my guy (assuming Nelson is gone).  Vea #2.   Hernandez would be like what we had years back with Tre Johnson, a monster mauler in the run game who can get pancake and bowl over guys.  Sort of a classic Hog type.    I haven't really put a lot of thought into taking him until today and the discussion on the board.  But yeah if you want to go nuts in the trenches take this guy.    Imagine Trent and this guy coming charging at you at the same time on the left?

Holy crap... could you imagine him lined up with Scherff?  We would have a nasty, mean offensive line 

Archived