Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mr @TheJoeMarino had the most accurate Mock Draft in the nation in 2017. In his latest, #Browns take Josh Allen, #Giants Sam Darnold, #Jets Baker Mayfield, #Bills Josh Rosen:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/marino-6-pack-thursday-two-weeks-out-mock-draft/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1. Cleveland Browns – Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Will John Dorsey get lost in Allen’s physical traits and pull the trigger with him at pick No. 1? I don’t think it’s out of the picture.

2. New York Giants – Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Darnold is the one QB I believe New York would take at No. 2 and the Browns selection of Allen makes it a possibility.

3. New York Jets – Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Mayfield is a perfect fit for Jeremy Bates system and is the type of locker room presence the current Jets’ regime prefers to complement last year’s top pick Jamal Adams.

4. Cleveland Browns – Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

John Dorsey is a believer in having a deep pool of pass rushers and Chubb is the best one in the draft. He could pair with Myles Garrett and Emanuel Ogbah to form a lethal trio.

5. Denver Broncos – Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

The opportunity to pair Nelson with Garett Bolles on the left side of the line is not one I foresee John Elway passing up. Nelson has the upside to become the best offensive lineman in the NFL.

6. Indianapolis Colts – Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

The Colts trade back with the Jets works to perfection and they still get an elite prospect at No. 6. Barkley can become the focal point of the offense as Andrew Luck is re-acclimated and form a potent backfield tandem for years to come.

7. TRADE:  Buffalo Bills – Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Buffalo didn’t spend the last year stockpiling draft capital and trade away Tyrod Taylor to enter the season with A.J. McCarron and Nate Peterman as its quarterbacks. Rosen is a perfect fit for Brian Daboll’s Erhardt-Perkins passing game.

8. Chicago Bears – Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Edmunds is a rare blend of size, speed and physicality that would fit perfectly in the middle of Vic Fangio’s defense and continue the tradition of tone-setting middle linebackers in Chicago.

9. San Francisco 49ers – Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Whether it’s the off-field issues for Reuben Foster, returning from injury for Malcolm Smith or the shaky performances so far from Eli Harold, question marks surround all three of the 49ers current projected linebackers. Smith is a speedy and physical linebacker with exceptional processing skills.

10. Oakland Raiders – Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

Starting left tackle Donald Penn is 35 years old and right tackle Vadal Alexander is an underwhelming option, leaving the short- and long-term future of the offensive tackle position questionable. McGlinchey is the best offensive tackle in the draft.

11. Miami Dolphins – Vita Vea, DT, Washington

The release of Ndamukong Suh leaves a hole in the middle of Miami’s defense and Vea can help fill the void. If he develops, Vea is rare blend of strength, size and movement skills.

12. TRADE:  Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Derwin James, S, Florida State

The Bucs needs playmakers on defense to complement its potent offense. With improvements upfront via free agency and trades, James can help solidify the back end and provide a versatile defender.

13. Washington Redskins – Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

Washington gets its replacement for Kendall Fuller and arguably the best corner in the draft. With 15 pass breakups and two interceptions this season, Ward has played like a shutdown corner on an outstanding Buckeyes defense.

I have a hard time imagining Denver would pass up on Josh Rosen at 5. That doesn't make a lot of sense unless they loathe his personality. To pass up on him when they have nothing on the roster at QB beyond Keenum would be stunning to me, then again I'm sure his personality would bother some people but you'd think Elway of all people would be sympathetic to a QB getting roasted by a bunch of 800 year old dinosaurs after the treatment he got for rejecting the Colts and their obnoxiously drunk, idiot, scoundrel of an owner back in 1983. May have been unfair to the fans, but I can understand if I'm the #1 prospect at QB and probably the best QB prospect to come out since maybe Namath according to scouts, I would not want to spend my career at QB with such an epic drunken idiot of an owner and a totally incompetent organization either (It would be another 20 years before they ever won a playoff game, 2003, with Manning). 

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I have a hard time imagining Denver would pass up on Josh Rosen at 5. That doesn't make a lot of sense unless they loathe his personality. 

I like Rosen I actually took him on the board's mock draft - in that one he fell all the way to 11. 

Only reason why I posted that mock was according to E. Silva that guy had the most accurate mock last year. What struck me the most about it is my favorite potential choice in the draft, Fitzpatrick, not only dropped to 13 but went all the way to 16.

So if an elite talent at secondary falls to 13 and Redskins take him. I will be upset if they don't go RB in round 2. That leaves round 4 and 5 picks for C/LG and DT. Who are your favorites at this positions and in those rounds? I need more research before i give my 2 cents

Do you think we might want to pencil Smith or Edwards to the 9ers with slightly heavier pencil given the news Ruben Foster has been charged with three felonies and is unlikley to be playing this year - and/or again given his life choices so far.  

36 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

So if an elite talent at secondary falls to 13 and Redskins take him. I will be upset if they don't go RB in round 2. That leaves round 4 and 5 picks for C/LG and DT. Who are your favorites at this positions and in those rounds? I need more research before i give my 2 cents

Guard: Teller, Sean smith

Center/Guard: Frank Ragnow, Will clapp, Bradley Bozeman

NT: Tim Settle, UConn guy with crazy name, Kendrick Norton, Senat, BJ Hill, Ford, etc

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Guard: Teller, Sean smith

Center/Guard: Frank Ragnow, Will clapp, Bradley Bozeman

NT: Tim Settle, UConn guy with crazy name, Kendrick Norton, Senat, BJ Hill, Ford, etc

Those seem like decent talent still. I am a little less afraid of going BPA weighted in the first. Thanks!

They are sure acting like Guice is who they covet.  For me I am stuck on Fitzpatrick, James, Guice -- if we land any one of them, I'd be ecstatic.  As for Guice, I'd love to trade down and add a pick but wonder how far down you can go considering rumors Baltimore, Seattle, etc have interest.

Jon LedyardVerified account @LedyardNFLDraft
In between that workout with Philly and his official visit with the team, Guice will head to Washington for a visit with the Redskins from Sunday-Monday. Remember, Washington president Bruce Allen had dinner with Guice before his pro day, as I reported weeks ago.
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Rosen I actually took him on the board's mock draft - in that one he fell all the way to 11. 

Only reason why I posted that mock was according to E. Silva that guy had the most accurate mock last year. What struck me the most about it is my favorite potential choice in the draft, Fitzpatrick, not only dropped to 13 but went all the way to 16.

Whilst Ward looks a, if not maybe the, top pure CB prospect, you'd think based on reports we'd be all over Fitzpatrick in that scenario. 

Id like to sit at 13 but you have to think we'd trade back unless someone we consider an 'elite stud' drops. I mean if the report was true that we are comfortable with about 20-25 prospects, cant recall the number, then surely we'd try like hell to move back 6-10 slots. 

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Whilst Ward looks a, if not maybe the, top pure CB prospect, you'd think based on reports we'd be all over Fitzpatrick in that scenario. 

Id like to sit at 13 but you have to think we'd trade back unless someone we consider an 'elite stud' drops. I mean if the report was true that we are comfortable with about 20-25 prospects, cant recall the number, then surely we'd try like hell to move back 6-10 slots. 

The key of course is it takes two to tango so trading back isn't a given.  With all their poking around Guice and the other stuff we keep hearing it seems like the plan might be (and granted it might be wishful thinking on my end because its exactly how I feel :)

#13 -- Fitzpatrick or James if they land there

if not

Trade down if they can and take either Guice, Payne, Vea as to whomever is left. For me it would be Guice by a mile.

I am seeing multiple mocks with Guice going to the Eagles and sometimes to the Giants at the beginning of round 2.  I know I love a prospect when I started cringing when I see them go to a division rival in mocks.   

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The key of course is it takes two to tango so trading back isn't a given.  With all their poking around Guice and the other stuff we keep hearing it seems like the plan might be (and granted it might be wishful thinking on my end because its exactly how I feel :)

#13 -- Fitzpatrick or James if they land there

if not

Trade down if they can and take either Guice, Payne, Vea as to whomever is left. For me it would be Guice by a mile.

I am seeing multiple mocks with Guice going to the Eagles and sometimes to the Giants at the beginning of round 2.  I know I love a prospect when I started cringing when I see them go to a division rival in mocks.   

Guice would be a great get....but where does he represent BPA. I'm gonna take a bit of a guess that he's a polarising prospect. We clearly do love him. Others maybe not. And the draft is stacked at RB. Very interesting to see what information comes out of the next couple of weeks.

Sign Hankins

Trade back in the first, add a third rounder, still get Guice

Trade back up from the second, get Price.

But where's my Alabama player...

DL will be picked if there is no Hankins. 

Trade back in the first get Payne or Guice

Trade back up from the second for the other one...

But we love Price, Jones, Jackson...

We could do with another pick in the top end of the draft. We somehow need to convert 13 and 44 to become 3 picks inside the top 44...

Trade back from 13 for a second/third more likely. Use that extra pick with our higher fourth, plus change, to jump back into the high second. Got Comp picks coming in 2019 as ammo. Creep up from 44 with a pick. Not trading away the farm, but get me a result of 3 pick inside 44 and we will do very well in this draft.

So, anyone have a take on Robert Foster, the receiver from Alabama?

Was thinking some more about the idea we could use more speed on the team. Lot of glowing articles about him - his blazing speed, his routes, the idea that teams were hoping he didn’t get a combine invite so he’d fly under the radar, etc.    

He was second in receiver catches with Bama, but only had 14 receptions (which is kind of crazy).  

Foster started with that training three days after the national title game.

"He's a freakish athlete," Evans said. "He can do some things that, you'll look at some of these guys at the combine and be like 'OK, they're good' but then you'll see Robert and be like 'Why isn't he like top-five?' ... A lot of people are going to be surprised by what he does."

@UK SKINS FAN '74I hear what you’re saying, but I would look for that trade back in the 1st and then stay stick with 4 picks in 4 rounds.  Take the BPA (a guy they love at a position of need - maybe Price).  That (likely) late 2nd can land you a good corner, OLB, WR, dline, etc.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/81848/Eagles-to-spend-extended-time-with-Guice

NDT Scouting's Jon Ledyard passes along that LSU RB Derrius Guice will be meeting with, working out for and visiting the Philadelphia Eagles over the coming days.

We're seeing an incredibly concentrated connection between the Eagles and Guice, here. This is the timeline on which this will play out -- the Eagles will meet with the LSU standout in Louisiana on Thursday night, before running him through a private workout on Friday. Then -- following a weekend visit to the Redskins -- Guice will head to Philly for an official predraft visit. Picking at No. 32, the Eagles might or might not be able to secure his services without a trade. The earliest we expect Guice to seriously be in play for a selection is in the early teens, say around the Redskins at pick No. 13, but it wouldn't surprise us if he's still available as Day 1 is winding down.

1. The #Eagles are heading down to LSU to meet with Derrius Guice tonight, then will put him through a private workout in the morning tomorrow. Then they will host Guice on a visit in Philadelphia on Monday-Tuesday of next week. Lot of interest there.

1 minute ago, Rogue Jedi said:

If James, Fitzpatrick, or Ward are their at 13, your draft one of them.

It really is that simple.

You don't pass on top 10 talent just because you "need" a DT or RB. That's what bonehead franchises do.

Oh wait....

I agree with this.  The one thing lurking in the back of my mind is whether Guice’s 2016 tape (and his 2017 tape that shows his toughness and grit) is blue chip material.  Some teams seem to think so, but I don’t trust much this time of year.  If the FO believes this, and if RB is also more of a need than db (debatable), I could see the team bumping him over the others.  

Now, I’d get how lots of fans would boo that option ( I may well depending on how the rest of the draft shakes out), but there’s that competing angle that if you love a guy, take him.  I would say the same about Vea and Payne, but I don’t think they’ve shown nearly the production Guice has (let alone the dbs).  Even though I’d be excited/hopeful to see what the DTs can do for our D, I’m going to be bummed to pass on the dbs for them.  

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

So, anyone have a take on Robert Foster, the receiver from Alabama?

Just reading up, rapid, great athlete, day three pick.

My Alabama wildcard is Tony Brown, fantastic speed and measurables, special teams ace....but looks like a head case in the makings...I'd take a chance early day 3 if he's still there.

Besides my well-known aversion to drafting a RB in the 1st round because of relative positional value under the current salary cap structure (seriously, when is the last time a RB drafted in the 1st round has won a SB on that same team?), my other main concern with taking Guice at #13 is his how long he would be able to hold up without suffering a significant injury.  His running style is violent.  He looks for contact.  I love that.  But RBs already have short shelf lives.  How much shorter is his gonna be than the average?  Also, how many games is he gonna be nicked up or injured and we'll be forced to rely on Perine and Kelley to play his role?  That's just too many what-ifs for me to be happy taking Guice at #13, even if he does transform our offense when healthy.

EDIT:  I would hate to see the Eagles get him though :bye:

25 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just reading up, rapid, great athlete, day three pick.

My Alabama wildcard is Tony Brown, fantastic speed and measurables, special teams ace....but looks like a head case in the makings...I'd take a chance early day 3 if he's still there.

I recall reading they met with Brown.

I just read a mock draft from an Eagle reporter -- his projected first round pick for the Eagles:  Guice.  Interesting considering all the backs they already have on their roster.  If the interest is real, I'd presume they think he's a special back otherwise its definitely not a need pick for them.   

Per @LedyardNFLDraft The #Eagles are heading down to LSU to meet with Derrius Guice tonight, then will put him through a private workout in the morning tomorrow. Then they will host Guice on a visit in Philadelphia on Monday-Tuesday of next week.

DanAnJoW0AAwFp0.jpg
0 replies2 retweets0 likes

Retweet

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Brugler's mock

http://nfldraftscout.com/brugler-7round-mock-nfl-draft/

13. Washington Redskins: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama (6-0, 204, 4.46)
A year ago, the Redskins had a highly-rated defensive prospect from Alabama fall in their laps in the teens (Jonathan Allen). It happens again.

Then he has us going Harrison Phillips in round 2.  That's amazing.

4 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

If James, Fitzpatrick, or Ward are their at 13, your draft one of them.

It really is that simple.

You don't pass on top 10 talent just because you "need" a DT or RB. That's what bonehead franchises do.

Oh wait....

Hell no you don't..This team needs to stop the run and run the ball..

Jon Ledyard Retweeted Teth-Adam

I have been, and yes I think that makes a lot of sense. I know he'll be high on their board, I'm just not sure who else will be available that they also consider highly

Jon Ledyard added,

Teth-Adam @DCRezz
Replying to @LedyardNFLDraft
Do you view a Guice selection at 13 as likely? I know you've been a proponent of that pick for Washington.

Archived