Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

48 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Key to this would be IF Allen would just sign Hankins as our new NT it would take the need for a NT in 1st away and make much more sense for Guice at #13.  We shall see how this plays out.  Titans signed Logan and Hankins is better than Logan as he provides pressure and run stopping ability.  He also 2-3 years younger.  Allen must step up to the plate and offer a multi year deal to get it done. 

This could happen also but a Hankins signing also makes drafting Guice at #13 a lot more sensible than doing it w/o NT being taken care of by a very good NT available in FA w/o hurting draft compensation.  

Absolutely.  It’s been stated ad nauseum, but Hankins really opens up the draft for us.  I also don’t have a problem with Guice at 13, but Guice (or Chubb) plus a 2nd rounder* is even more attractive.  

*might be more like a 3rd or 3rd and 5th, etc, but I’d feel the same way regardless.  

I’d also strongly consider trading back and drafting Phillips, then moving up for Chubb (have a hunch moving from 44 to get Guice will be too pricey).  Landing possibly my favorite DT/NT, a top 3 stud of a back, and adding an early round pick sounds fine by me. :)

For the first 2 rounds my ideal would be to trade back a bit, recoup our 3rd then pick Guice in the 1st and and then get Harrison Phillips in the 2nd. We'd have a brand new beastly offensive weapon who can be an honest to god premiere every down stud for us and a brand new beastly DL weapon who has tons of experience at NT, has tons of production in college, and truly can play the run and rush the passer. This is assuming we don't sign Hankins. If we do then I'd probably go OL in the 2nd if someone is there who we value enough.

If that doesn't happen and Fitz or James falls to us at 13 I'd take one of them and then see if I could pick up Chubb in the 2nd. Chubb is my #3 back after Barkley and Guice. If we were able to sign Hankins then this would be even better.

@mistertimAgree with all of that really.  You think Phillips lasts till 44 though?

Also, given the following - 

1) the issues surrounding our TE group (blocking, health, money, and looking to next year)

2) our lack of a speed rusher and Smith’s FA status next year

3) the fact that LG is seen as the least important oline position and we have options/later picks/a good coach there

4) the thought of getting out of Norman's contract next year...

I think I’m putting those 3 positions on (roughly) equal footing with LG.  

With that said, if we were to stay away from drafting a G until day 3, we better hope Scherff stays healthy the whole season, ‘cause playing 2 of Kalis/Catalina/Nsheke/Kouandijo/Franklin/whoever is a pretty scary thought.  

I've been a huge fan of Landry's. Think he is the premiere pass rusher in this draft with a Von Miller ceiling. Can't believe how he's been flying under the radar. My pick at 13 no doubt, unless Barkley, Nelson, or Fitzpatrick falls.

It would be even better if they could trade down a few spots, get a 3rd rounder, and still get Landry. 

11 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I've been a huge fan of Landry's. Think he is the premiere pass rusher in this draft with a Von Miller ceiling. Can't believe how he's been flying under the radar. My pick at 13 no doubt, unless Barkley, Nelson, or Fitzpatrick falls.

It would be even better if they could trade down a few spots, get a 3rd rounder, and still get Landry. 

If he hadn't had such a lackluster 2017 where he was eventually sidelined with an injury and had played at the same level as 2016 he'd almost certainly be a top 10 pick. Wonder how far he'll fall. He seems to have some really good skills. Pretty polished, elite first step, nice pass rush moves. Really good balance to bend the edge and get low.

11 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

I didn't know all those red flags and honestly, I would agree with you if that is the case. If he is in fact lazy and doesnt want to learn, chances are he wont adhere to coaching.

I've become worried about this also. It's cooled me on vea, so much potential... But yeah

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting.  If Landry is there at 13...

Landry for me follows my "Wilfork" corollary. Players that have elite production at a very young age, and have an off draft year can be epic steals on draft day. Wilfork, Marino, and many, many others. 

I agree with Mosher, I think Landry's going to be a steal in the draft. Initially he had really tumbled down boards to 2nd round territory but it definitely sounds like the athletic drills at the combine have caused his stock to rise about 1/2 to 2/3's of the way to where it should be. 

IF we traded down, he'd be a priority defensive target for me, actually, probably the only defensive target I'd consider in that 18-25 zone over an RB. 

11 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Wondering if anyone else is riding the Mark Walton train with Clinton Portis?
I think he's actually right (homerism considered) that he's the third or fourth best back in the draft. 

Watched some Walton the other day and he looks like hot garbage to me... Tries to bounce it outside every time he gets the rock and he’s pedestrian slow.  Open holes on the interior and he doesn’t see them.  Ever.  Tiny legs-to-helmet-ratio sealed the deal for me- looks like a Lego character.

Saddens me that Portis is so blinded by his alma-maters colors that he would endorse this cat. I was actually stoked a few weeks ago when I read he was a consultant for the team bc I firmly believe he’s the reason we drafted my favorite football player of all time. 

15 hours ago, mistertim said:

I really hope they sit them down and go over film of Payne and say "Tell me why he missed that sack, tell me why he missed that tackle, tell me why he got pushed back by that double team so easily. Tell me why his stats are so awful. Now tell me why I should pick him at #13 overall other than 'he's a great guy and a hard worker'....".

Then “they” would tell you, “Hey Internet Kid, go back and watch ALL of his film. Take a look at the opportunities he created for Allen and the rest of his defense.”

Payne was asked to take on an entirely different role last season, and he was still dominate enough to require double-teams/extra attention etc.  There is something to be said about “hard workers” - There aren’t many HOF players who weren’t. 

Sincerely, 

Another Internet Kid ?

2 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

Then “they” would tell you, “Hey Internet Kid, go back and watch ALL of his film. Take a look at the opportunities he created for Allen and the rest of his defense.”

Payne was asked to take on an entirely different role last season, and he was still dominate enough to require double-teams/extra attention etc.  There is something to be said about “hard workers” - There aren’t many HOF players who weren’t. 

Sincerely, 

Another Internet Kid ?

The same could be said about Allen.. everyone else got to eat because he was such a dominant force inside. Except he had all the accolades and production to back it up. If Payne was that good, he'd have a truckload more stats to back it up, just like Allen did. Except Payne doesn't. He's got nothing to show for it at all.

3 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

Sincerely, 

Another Internet Kid ?

I've watched every cut up I can find of him (I think I've found around 10 so far) and watched them multiple times. I just don't see this dominant person you're talking about. Payne wasn't put in there to soak up double teams; he was asked to penetrate and make plays and he just didn't do that very often (seriously...1 TFL in 2017....1. Most DL guys will get that many accidentally). He got pressures sometimes but never seemed able to finish. Most times when he was double teamed he was immediately taken out of the play. If you have to bend over backwards to explain away the lack of production of a supposed first round talent then there may just be issues with that supposed first round talent.

And yeah I'm certainly no professional scout and I've never said I was. That being said part of the supporting evidence has nothing to do with my amateur subjective analysis of his game tape. It has to do with how he compares with other DL guys regarding NFL production compared with college production + athleticism when it comes to the latter being a predictor of the former. When you look at those numbers he's at the bottom of the barrel, meaning he'd not just have to buck the trend in order to become a dominant NFL player...he'd practically have to be the biggest outlier ever.

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

The same could be said about Allen.. everyone else got to eat because he was such a dominant force inside. Except he had all the accolades and production to back it up. If Payne was that good, he'd have a truckload more stats to back it up, just like Allen did. Except Payne doesn't. He's got nothing to show for it at all.

AGree. I like the kid from Michigan. If his heart check up turns out good. Go for him! He can do it all, pressure and stop the run! Hurst I believe 

Tremaine Edmunds. Somehow I've got a premonition that he's going to fall to #13. And if we have Hankins on board, he will be our choice.

This is not a post explaining his ability vs why he might make it to us. Just sharing the good news.

On 4/6/2018 at 5:13 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Albert Breer

This is true. The #Ravens are a sneaky team for Lamar Jackson…

Ian Rapoport added,

Albert BreerVerified account @AlbertBreer

Albert BreerVerified account @AlbertBreer
    FollowingFollowing @AlbertBreer
    More

Here's an interesting one: The Ravens have scheduled a Top 30 visit with Louisville QB Lamar Jackson. It's expected to be one of his final trips -- if not the last trip he takes -- to a team facility before the draft.

Here's an interesting one: The Ravens have scheduled a Top 30 visit with Louisville QB Lamar Jackson. It's expected to be one of his final trips -- if not the last trip he takes -- to a team facility before the draft.

Does that mean they only brought RG3 in to show him how NOT to transition to the Pros?

57 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Tremaine Edmunds. Somehow I've got a premonition that he's going to fall to #13. And if we have Hankins on board, he will be our choice.

This is not a post explaining his ability vs why he might make it to us. Just sharing the good news.

To me the D. James, M. Fitzpatrick fall to #13 conversation is all about do R. Jones/Edmonds go before 13 or not.  If they do as some mocks purport, then decent shot especially Fitzpatrick make it to 13.   If they aren't taken before 13, then Fitzpatrick is likely gone.

Seems to be some decent buzz that the Notre Dame LT (I always botch his name) and Landry could go top 12.   

Said differently I see it being very likely that at least one of these players: Edmonds, R. Smith, D. James, Fitzpatrick make it to 13.  Of those 4, I think D. James is the least likely to fall.

Talk about it. Tell your friends. Speak about it. It's coming.

DaT82HkX4AAFPhi.jpg

10 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Landry for me follows my "Wilfork" corollary. Players that have elite production at a very young age, and have an off draft year can be epic steals on draft day. Wilfork, Marino, and many, many others. 

I agree with Mosher, I think Landry's going to be a steal in the draft. Initially he had really tumbled down boards to 2nd round territory but it definitely sounds like the athletic drills at the combine have caused his stock to rise about 1/2 to 2/3's of the way to where it should be. 

IF we traded down, he'd be a priority defensive target for me, actually, probably the only defensive target I'd consider in that 18-25 zone over an RB. 

Marino fell because of rumors he had smoked marijuana. (I mean, obviously, he looks like a classic stoner, right?)  Remember, kids, this was 1984.  That the human body has cannabinoid receptors (doh!) wouldn't be discovered for about 15 years. 

Last week I man crushed Guice. Now I’m back to my original man crushing on Chubb. Honestly the pick that might make most sense for where we in R1-4 is Chubb at 44. Frees up BPA/Defense at 13 or wherever we trade back to. 

I wonder where Wyatt Teller ends up going. Could be a good target in the 4th round. He’d be a good value pick there I think ... VT kid too so he’s “local” 

Archived