Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The reason why though Portis opinion is likely more relevant though than any draft geek is because if Cooley is right his reports are going right to the FO.  According to Cooley, Portis a paid consultant to them on the RBs.

He is, and I know he's been spending a lot of time with Sony Michel.... Take it FWIW.

Listening to the Move the Sticks Podcast where they're talking to Derwin James' HS coach... this guy is like the anti-Sua Cravens. :)

He played whatever position the coach needed him to... even QB. 

Interesting listen for those that want to know more about him.  Start listening at 7:25:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/move-the-sticks-with-daniel-jeremiah/e/53803546?autoplay=true

Jim Mora asked today about Guice, what would be a good fit for a team, he said Seattle at 18.

The Path to the Draft guys talked today also about SD poking around the QBs.  Maybe they are a good trade partner.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

One team doing under-the-radar QB work for the draft: The #Chargers. They’ve met with or privately worked out #Wyoming QB Josh Allen, #OU QB Baker Mayfield, and #Louisville QB Lamar Jackson. They’ve done similarly over the past 2-3 years.

•  

So Defense looks like a 1st Round Priority but is there the possibility the Skins take Guice with that pick just seems hes getting a lot if publicity as we approach the draft and that could mean someone else takes him early like the 1st round

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message
Q2A2DpG9_bigger.jpgJohn KeimVerified account @john_keim
FollowingFollowing @john_keim
More
Replying to @Catcher53

guice could go early 2nd as well. Wide range. I don't think they go for him at 13. Likely D

Interesting thought ... not sure it matters that much in the big picture. But if we go Guice at #13 ... It could force an earlier than expected run on RBs ... or at least guarantee that the run on RBs begins with the early 2nd round. Although, I think we all expected somewhat of a run on RBs before our pick, so not sure at that point if us starting an "early run" really pushes anyone down to us as late as #44.

I really wish there was a scenario where we could trade back into the 1st to secure Guice without giving up the farm. I think to go from mid-2nd to mid-20s would require a 1st next year and I don't think we have the capital otherwise to make the move with picks from this year alone.

Someone mentioned the possibility of New England being a trade partner if they want to move up for a QB. But I just don't see a QB there for them at #13, at least that would interest them enough for a trade-up. I could see us asking for #23 and #31 from NE for #13 ... and if that is something that we could pull off, I'm much more comfortable going Guice at #23 (assuming he's there) and addressing OL and DL with 31 and 44 ... and still having all 4/5/5/6 to address the defensive depth and maybe a sleeper position like TE.

It sounds like the Pats are going to try and use Gronk as trade-bait for more picks. I've gotta wonder if Jacksonville at #29 would be willing to part with that pick to bring in Gronk. It's hard for me to see the Pats willingly giving up Brady weapons but I could also see them using 23, 29 and 31 to get up into the Top 5 for a QB if they so desire (heard Mayfield maybe).

I also wonder, if the Pats aren't interested in keeping Gronk but can't get draft capital for him, if they'd explore a swap of Reed for Gronk. Gronk gets a scene change and the Pats replace him with similar upside player who has similar injury problems, but they at least don't pay any more $$ than what they're paying Gronk right now and get rid of someone who seems on the fence about playing.

Skins would get a year of Gronk, replace an oft-injured Reed with a better version who is also oft-injured. IDK.

I think the ultimate trade-down for us would obviously be New England and getting 23 and 31. Heck, maybe they use those picks to trade up for a LT, Pass-rusher, or CB/S (all needs) and there could be the Top2 position players at each there at our pick. But I gottta assume those pick accumulations are for a QB. HOWEVER, if they do like Lauletta, they can get him in the 2nd or 3rd. Idk.

Anyway, if the Skins were to trade down to 23/31. I would pick Guice if he's there at 23 or the best defender or OG. I would then see if I could package #31 for a couple 2nds. Buffalo, at least, now, has 21 and 24 in the round. I would love to swap those 2 for #31. That way you get your impact guy at 23 and have 44, 53 and 56 to not only hit your needs along the OL and DL but you also have an extra "impact" pick to get a TE, S, CB, Edge, etc. while really allowing you to use the 4/5/5 for need-based drafting later on.

One trade-down is super rare. Two is even harder to imagine. But I'd love to have a pick in the 20's and then a slew of 2's and 3's to really spread the wealth.

Tandler's article today about the upcoming cap issues in 2019 and possibility of using this draft to fill needs for 2019 and beyond (Citing TE, ILB and CB) got me thinking on this note. While we have some opportunities to add replacement type players in the 4th and 5th rounds, amassing some more 2s and 3s would be ideal as those players can probably be relied upon a bit more.

Also of note ... one guy I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for is Kevin Tolliver II. I was hot on him earlier in the draft cycle. But he was a guy talked about early in his career as a future 1st round type player. But he got injured as a Soph. and had a bit of a down year this year so he hasn't fully recovered. But he's the type of guy that fits the Moreau/Fuller mold as a guy who has good pedigree but falls to a later round because of a bad senior year or injuries. I think Tollver in the 4th COULD be that type of pick and Skins have been at a lot of LSU events.

There have been 0 off the field issues for Guice while at LSU. All these loose cannon reports are lol worthy. By the way, Guice’s pro day Instagram story shows him talking with Allen and then Williams. No other NFL officials are in the story. Makes you wonder if he’s hinting at something. :)

Frank Ragnow

Will Clapp

Those are two guys that could be interesting to follow in the draft. I've seen Ragnow go anywhere from late 1st to 5th  in mocks ... and Clapp anywhere from 3rd to 6th.

Ragnow went into 2017 as the top Center. He had some issues I think with injury and consistency last year, but he's still got a ton of potential. I have to imagine the mocks having him going in the 2nd round range (which are the more recent ones) are the more accurate. He'd be a nice piece for our interior OL.

Will Clapp is another guy who had a down year in 2017 but was a high-pedigree going into the season. I think the Skins could likely have him in the 4th round, though there's a chance he goes in the 3rd.

Both guys could play OC or LG ... which gives flexibility with Roullier. One plays Center, the other plays LG, and if Kiandjiao makes a huge leap at LG, at the worst you have some good interior depth.

So I don't think we need Price/Daniels/Hernandez/Wynn in the 1st or hope for a fall to the 2nd to get an immediate upgrade/starter option in this year's draft. There's also a number of OTs that could slide in to LG, but that provides a little less flexibility for us, IMO, since we could go a new direction at LG or OC with Roullier.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

One trade-down is super rare. Two is even harder to imagine. But I'd love to have a pick in the 20's and then a slew of 2's and 3's to really spread the wealth.

I believe we did it last in 2002 and the Pats were our second one.  We ended up getting Ramsey, who actually may have turned out had he been able to get a year or two as a backup and had a good teacher.  We did even less with the other picks.

26 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Man, this top 10 is going to be insane.  Could easily see 5 QBs being drafted and us getting an elite prospect at 13.  I just hope the Patriots don't trade up with the Giants...

Yeah at least based on draft geek buzz on twitter looks like there is a decent shot L. Jackson goes before our pick.  if so 5 QBs will make it interesting as for players dropping.

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I could see us asking for #23 and #31 from NE for #13 ...

If the QBs go before 13.  There is almost a certainty that one of these guys with be there: Edmonds, R. Smith, D. Ward, D. James, M, Fizpatrick.  If they want to trade down they might get a trading partner for one of those guys.  For me it will have to be a good bounty to do so especially if its giving up on Fitzpatrick or James.

I see in the mock draft we have on this site, that we pick up Guice? God that would be awful. We don't need another bulky, slow with no wiggle type of running. We already tried that experiment with Perine.

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

I see in the mock draft we have on this site, that we pick up Guice? God that would be awful. We don't need another bulky, slow with no wiggle type of running. We already tried that experiment with Perine.

Perine was timed running the 40 in 4.65s whereas Guice was timed at 4.49s to say Guice is a slow RB is a bit off.  Pretty sure a lot of people consider him the 2nd best RB in this draft and expect him to be superior to Perine

11 minutes ago, rexxonator said:

Perine was timed running the 40 in 4.65s whereas Guice was timed at 4.49s to say Guice is a slow RB is a bit off.  Pretty sure a lot of people consider him the 2nd best RB in this draft and expect him to be superior to Perine

I'm not not a fan of 'strong' running back that aren't shifty. I don't watch much college so I won't argue too much but from what I've seen, he doesn't seem special. 

Archived