Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

8 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Who you going up for mate?

Hail.

Ideally I'd like to drop back in the first abit, then move back up from the second as well. Having a couple of picks between 20-35 probably fits better in my opinion in terms of BPA/filling gaps in the greatest areas of need...

If we stick at #13 it has to be outright BPA. I really think we could take Harold Landry, I think he's being overlooked to date. If we don't take him, one of a number of DBs will be BPA - Fitz, James, Ward...

Id love to get back into the bottom of the first, but the value could be too high to get there, fifth year option available etc, makes it more likely to jump up a few places in the second.

Get me back near to the top of the second and you're getting a first round slider, I reckon Payne will drop, Billy Price would be a steal in the second, Joshua Jackson who we are reportedly hot on could drop, an option if we don't go DB at #13.

Plus of course RB.....at #44 you could have 5 backs off the board. At #35 we may well get the third one to go after Barkley and Guice. I like Jones, but it's said the team like Chubb. Can live with either based on what the team rank, but I'd like us to be aggressive.

Plenty of options. Hope we find a way to move around and not just sit with #13 and #44 over the first 2 days. 

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Saw that SIP. :)  My hope is Vea at #13, trade down for more picks if Vea is gone.  IF they don't trade down for picks then draft Guice at #13.

My opinions per usual keeps changing (though not radically) some as I get closer to draft day.:)

Right now if Keim is correct about their thinking -- James, Fitzpatrick or Vea at 13.  I am on a similar plane.  I admit I don't really have a great feel for Vea but if the FO chooses him, that means to me Tomsula wants him and that's enough for me.  My bottom line is I want a run stuffing DT and a RB in this draft first and foremost.

Judging by current buzz (granted it might not be meaningful), almost no chance James falls to 13.  I actually am starting to think 50-50 Fitzpatrick might be there.  The danger for that one might be the Dolphins with their head coach having a good relationship with Saban and Saban loves Fitzpatrick even more than he typically touts his guys.  Vea -- the threat might be Oakland or Miami.   At least judging by mocks Tampa might be the anchor point as for the secondary where they take one of these guys:  Ward, James, Fitzpatrick.

As for Darius Guice I've probably put up as many pro Guice posts on this thread than anyone.   But I'd take Fitzpatrick or Ward over him.  I'd hate it if they took Guice over either player.  But I am not one of those people who hate the idea of taking Guice early in theory. 

For me right now, if Fitzpatrick lands at 13 I'd take him and be beyond jazzed.   If they love Vea, I am cool with that too because I'd presume its Tomsula endorsed.  I don't think James is realistic as an option any more.  Funny months back, I thought it was Fitzpatrick who was unrealistic and James was possible.  It feels like that's flipped. And I recall Koolblue pointed out weeks before the combine that a great combine from James might do the trick as for James leapfrogging Fitzpatrick -- and it looks like he might be correct.  I recall Koolblue is a Fitzpatrick guy, too.  

If you got no Fitzpatrick or James and they aren't in love with Vea then I'd trade down -- and I still think you likely end up with Guice. I think Guice's sweet spot is 20-32.

As for Landry as some have mentioned, he's interesting.  I've been wanting a true speed rusher and he fits that bill.  Maurice Hurst is interesting to me a little too -- he's a 3-5 technique as opposed to a nose (so less of a need) but he did play some nose at Michigan (though he is undersized for 0-1) and heck they are in nickel most of the time anyway so you can probably have him on the field the same time as Ionnaidis and Allen -- and like Allen he can stuff the run and rush the passer.   

I am not of the camp of heck if all our guys our healthy on the D line we can do this and that -- because the premise to me of that point is off -- the odds that your big 290 pound to 320 pound men are all going to be healthy all season along IMO is a pipe dream.   So I like to stack the D line just like what the Vikings, Rams, Eagles are doing.

Thoughts on Taven Bryan?

Was listening to Kiper & MckShay's latest podcast and they were raving about his physical tools.  They said watch the Texas A&M game.  Felt that he needed a great d-line coach (hello Tomsula) to reach his potential.  Has the measurables of JJ Watt but not the production.  Kiper has him going to Detroit at 20. 

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Thoughts on Taven Bryan?

At which position ?

Supposed to be capable of both DT or DE.

But scouts say, that while he may have "starter talent", it could take a year for him to get there

So if we believe we can make the playoffs this year, then I say pass, and go for someone who can start the 1st year.

I hope we don't take one of those guys at 13. ^^^

Not because they're not great, but because we may very well have a good tandem in Nicholson and Swearinger.

So, with your first pick, I think it's a bad idea to add a starter when you have enough starters at the position, and also meanwhile have glaring needs elsewhere.

Only exception would be, if the player is near the level of a Sean Taylor.

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope we don't take one of those guys at 13. ^^^

Not because they're not great, but because we may very well have a good tandem in Nicholson and Swearinger.

So, with your first pick, I think it's a bad idea to add a starter when you have enough starters at the position, and also meanwhile have glaring needs elsewhere.

Only exception would be, if the player is near the level of a Sean Taylor.

Fitzpatrick can play the Nickel for us though, which is a huge need.  And I don't think anyone would be surprised if Nicholson doesn't play the full season again this year, so Fitzpatrick can slot in at FS when that happens.  I love his versatility, and I think Gruden probably does too.

With James, he can play Nickel too.  Or we can do what we were trying to do with Cravens and have either him or Swearinger play that role.  

Just because we have what appear to be two good safeties on the roster right now, doesn't mean one of Fitz or James can't come in and make a huge impact for us Day 1.

Fitzpatrick would likely be a M. Jenkins type -- a safety that plays nickel.  He can play free safety, nickel corner and even outside corner if needed.   He's a ball hawk.  He's a leader.  He's insanely smart.  

In one fell swoop you'd be protected if Nicholson goes down at free safety, you'd fix the Fuller loss at the slot position and have a fall back if Dunbar-Moreau isn't the guy. 

In our division we got Agholor, Beasley and Shepard playing slot.  We are going to rest easy with Holsey or aging Scandrick (coming off of a bad season) deal with them?

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/nick-saban-alabama-football-minkah-fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick is not merely the best defensive player in the class, he’s an embodiment of the evolution of the sport; near-positionless defensive maestros, built to stop the rise of pace-and-space offensive concepts.

Positional versatility is the name of the game. Football is a matchup sport. The NFL is moving more than ever pre-snap — shifting and motioning — in a bid to reveal coverages and create mismatches. Offensive principles are now based on the skills of blazing speedsters in space (agility, not just top-end speed), polar bears masquerading as tight ends, and guys with hops that we’re used to seeing compete in a dunk content, not on a football field.

Matching up with that is virtually impossible. Ask a staff how it will defend the trio of Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill, from the same personnel package, and they will blush. Pray?

There’s little you can do when a team can flex its back, tight end, or stud wide receiver to any and every spot on the field: split out, isolated on the backside of the formation, in the backfield, or in-line. Everyone can take-up multiple positions, and the offense has that age-old advantage of knowing what it’s doing before the ball is snapped.

Offensive movement forces defensive communication, the quickest way to miscommunication.

A defense must find guys who can line up in multiple spots, or a series of defenders who are comfortable covering whichever dude lines up in front of them — mitigating much of the effect of motioning or shifting. Those creatures don’t grow on trees.

Fitzpatrick represents a rare opportunity to land such a unicorn.

Watch an Alabama game, and you see Fitzpatrick play anywhere and everywhere: He will line up in the slot, his designated position; as a middle-of-the-field safety; as the spinner in a two-man tandem, rotating late towards the line of scrimmage or helping split the field in half; as a traditional box safety; as a boundary corner; as a dime linebacker; as an edge defender; and in any number of funky and wonderful blitz alignments.

For me, one of James/Fitz/Vea will be there at 13. And any of those would be huge assets to our defense.

my only concern is gonna be LG. But maybe a G/C will fall to us in R4. Then again last year we got Roullier in r7 and he’s our penciled in OC so I won’t be apoplectic If we don’t get a G early 

I’ve pushed for dline and rb in a big way.  Guard is up there too, but definitely a step behind.  Wouldn’t mind Vea or Guice at 13.  Love the idea of trading down a bit, and still getting Guice and an additional pick (or two).  

So with that said, looking at the secondary, we have a touch of uncertainty on the outside, we don’t have a starter in the slot (as of now), our safeties are essentially 1 deep - and Nicholson (as much as I really like him) was an injury problem - and we have one dimebacker that is relatively unproven (though I like him).  Fitzpatrick is perfect for us.  

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My opinions per usual keeps changing (though not radically) some as I get closer to draft day.:)

Right now if Keim is correct about their thinking -- James, Fitzpatrick or Vea at 13.  I am on a similar plane.  I admit I don't really have a great feel for Vea but if the FO chooses him, that means to me Tomsula wants him and that's enough for me.  My bottom line is I want a run stuffing DT and a RB in this draft first and foremost.

Judging by current buzz (granted it might not be meaningful), almost no chance James falls to 13.  I actually am starting to think 50-50 Fitzpatrick might be there.  The danger for that one might be the Dolphins with their head coach having a good relationship with Saban and Saban loves Fitzpatrick even more than he typically touts his guys.  Vea -- the threat might be Oakland or Miami.   At least judging by mocks Tampa might be the anchor point as for the secondary where they take one of these guys:  Ward, James, Fitzpatrick.

As for Darius Guice I've probably put up as many pro Guice posts on this thread than anyone.   But I'd take Fitzpatrick or Ward over him.  I'd hate it if they took Guice over either player.  But I am not one of those people who hate the idea of taking Guice early in theory. 

For me right now, if Fitzpatrick lands at 13 I'd take him and be beyond jazzed.   If they love Vea, I am cool with that too because I'd presume its Tomsula endorsed.  I don't think James is realistic as an option any more.  Funny months back, I thought it was Fitzpatrick who was unrealistic and James was possible.  It feels like that's flipped. And I recall Koolblue pointed out weeks before the combine that a great combine from James might do the trick as for James leapfrogging Fitzpatrick -- and it looks like he might be correct.  I recall Koolblue is a Fitzpatrick guy, too.  

If you got no Fitzpatrick or James and they aren't in love with Vea then I'd trade down -- and I still think you likely end up with Guice. I think Guice's sweet spot is 20-32.

As for Landry as some have mentioned, he's interesting.  I've been wanting a true speed rusher and he fits that bill.  Maurice Hurst is interesting to me a little too -- he's a 3-5 technique as opposed to a nose (so less of a need) but he did play some nose at Michigan (though he is undersized for 0-1) and heck they are in nickel most of the time anyway so you can probably have him on the field the same time as Ionnaidis and Allen -- and like Allen he can stuff the run and rush the passer.   

I am not of the camp of heck if all our guys our healthy on the D line we can do this and that -- because the premise to me of that point is off -- the odds that your big 290 pound to 320 pound men are all going to be healthy all season along IMO is a pipe dream.   So I like to stack the D line just like what the Vikings, Rams, Eagles are doing.

Thanks for the input, SIP.  :)  Got to wait and see how this all shakes out.  A Hankins signing would definitely change how we approach the draft.  Like other reporters have said, he'd be the perfect signing for our DL and at 26 Tomsula could get the most of out him.  A big wait and see on what he decides to do but with no other visits scheduled things look good right now for the Skins.  Time will tell.  

I think at the very least one of our 5’s is gonna be used on a CB/S type. I think his name is Dashaun Phillips from W. Michigan ... perfect slot corner who could probably play safety too. 

Kameron Kelly is another from SDSU. I also think Tarvarus McFadden is versatile from FSU. I’m not too worried about secondary depth. Fitz or James would be dynamite but if we go Vea-Chubb to start I’ll expect Guard, Edge, CB/S in some form between rounds 4-6

If for some miraculous reason Nelson slips to 13 we take him otherwise trade back if possible. Problem is going to be who is going to want to trade up to 13? Only one reason and that is if a QB is still available. Dont see much chance in that. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think at the very least one of our 5’s is gonna be used on a CB/S type. I think his name is Dashaun Phillips from W. Michigan ... perfect slot corner who could probably play safety too. 

He would be a nice pickup. He has a lot of ST experience too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/player-blurb-darius-phillips-cb-western-michigan/amp/

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

If for some miraculous reason Nelson slips to 13 we take him otherwise trade back if possible. Problem is going to be who is going to want to trade up to 13? Only one reason and that is if a QB is still available. Dont see much chance in that. 

You have to take him in a heartbeat.  It be another Allen all over again.  

After watching a few videos, Payne seems like the best fit for us.   If its possible to trade down and still get him, that would be great.  If they have to pick him outright I would be happy with that too, even if Vea is still on the board.

Vea is a great prospect and athletic for his enormous size but limited in space.   

Payne is much more of an asset IMO .  He has the strength, size and quickness to get penetration but also make plays in space.  

This is what we need most IMO.  Not just a guy who can push the pocket but one who can get his hands on the elusive RB's and QB's in our division, and bring them down.

The thing that most stood out to me watching games last year was how often opposing qb's and rb's would slide right by the D-Line, who might have been in decent position, but were not athletic enough to make a play on them. 

2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Imagine if Fitzpatrick, James and Vea are all there at 13. The flame wars in this thread will be epic!

With safety being thin and NT being deep, it should be a complete no brainier.

I wouldn’t personally be happy with a NT or RB at 13 when both are stacked without much of a drop off the rest the top 100. 

Hail.

Redskin's keeping it close to their vest on who they REALLY like at #13 or if they already know they want to trade down and have targets after that.  Gonna be interesting to watch this unfold on draft night.

Things change somewhat if they sign Hankins though.

19 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I had a feeling this would happen due to how he was used at Alabama and more tape of Derwin James as a true safety (Harrison Smith) type.  I like both players, but Minkah Fitzpatrick to me is a better player.  

On 3/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, PlayAction said:

Do you have any concerns about Ro Smith being better suited to WLB in a 4:3?  Is he a good fit for the current scheme?  

I've thought this as well.   I like Roquan Smith, as he is quick to diagnose plays and plays sideline to sideline, but he also gets taken out of players pretty easily as well.  Has trouble getting off of blocks.  I feel he would do really well as an ILB if the team that drafted him had a good DL.  I feel Will could be the better fit for him, without question.  

On 3/30/2018 at 1:57 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Not moving up for a guard. I'd love him at 13, but not for 2 picks.

Would you have done it for Trent Williams back when he was drafted. Nelson is supposedly the best to ever come out at his position. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:47 AM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Using that earlier chart ... Skins have 2019 comp picks lined up for 3, 5, 6, 7 ... and I would suspect that stays close given Breeland still has to sign somewhere. As others sign, we might lose that 7th, but we'll see.

So for 2019, we'll have:

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 - 11 picks

If we don't trade down in 1 or 2, I could see us trading our 3rd or 5th next year to move up if we have to, knowing that we'll be getting comp picks in those rounds. Granted 3rd round comp pick isn't the same as a 3rd rounder (probably 10-15 picks below for that Cousins one) but nonetheless, it does put that opportunity in play.

overthecap is pretty accurate, but it doesn't mean it won't change with the addition of more free agents cancelling out some of the comp picks.  

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

On 30/03/2018 at 2:47 PM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we don't trade down in 1 or 2, I could see us trading our 3rd or 5th next year to move up if we have to, knowing that we'll be getting comp picks in those rounds. Granted 3rd round comp pick isn't the same as a 3rd rounder (probably 10-15 picks below for that Cousins one) but nonetheless, it does put that opportunity in play.

Agreed on this, I'd consider trading some 2019 picks from the 3rd and 5th. The Cousins pick will be #97....but the balance is we could have 'limited' cap space so more picks/the draft could have a bit more emphasis for us.

I like Zierlien's (NFL.com) mock.  That would be nice where you got both James and Fitzpatrick as choices at 13.  If only :)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923275/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-30-bills-trade-up-for-josh-allen?campaign=tw-cf-sf185979853-sf185979853&sf185979853=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I was listening to Ledyard's rationale about the Redskins drafting Guice on 106.7 a little while ago.  He's the draft geek pushing them to take Guice at 13.  His rationale is basically:

A. Why be cute at the RB.  Take a guy early so you don't have to keep taking swings at this year after year.  You take one swing and you are done.

B.  if you are taking a RB early, he's not a fan of the by committee types.  Get a bonafide feature back

C.  The Redskins in the makeup of their roster would benefit more than anything by having a running game which they don't have now

D. You are wasting Alex Smith's talents if you don't give him a running game

E. Guice is the real deal

He also has a massive man crush on Michel saying his vision and cutting ability is almost in the same league as Barkley.

Archived