stevemcqueen1

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13058/sam-darnold

 

According to ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan, USC's Sam Darnold is the only quarterback the Giants would take at the No. 2 overall pick.
It sounds like the Giants' scouting grades on Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, and Josh Allen simply aren't high enough for GM Dave Gettleman to consider picking one of the non-Darnold quarterbacks at No. 2. Gettleman has a history of drafting running backs high -- he took Christian McCaffrey eighth overall in Carolina last year -- and he never traded down in any round of the draft during four seasons as Panthers GM. Barring Gettleman disregarding his scouts or reversing course on his historical anti-trade-down stance, Penn State RB Saquon Barkley and NC State DE/OLB Bradley Chubb appear to be co-favorites to go at No. 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

Great podcast with Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah talking about Derwin James.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-move-the-sticks-with-daniel-jeremiah-bucky-brooks/id915544088?mt=2&i=1000407129557

 

In summary he is a great kid, leader, and hard worker. A+ intangibles. I bet he goes top 10.

 

 

Keim went today he thinks Vea goes before our pick.   If we run with that scenario

 

offense

Allen

Mayfield

Darnold

Rosen

Q. Nelson

Barkley

 

defense

Chubb

Edmonds 

R. Smith

Vea

 

That's ten players with two spots ahead of our pick.  That leaves either Ward, D. James, M. Fitzpatrick.  Lets say two of them go, that leaves one of them.  Vea and R. Smith might be pushing it by saying they are slam dunk top 12 picks but even if so if all that happens is a surprise pick like L. Jackson, C. Ridley, one of the O lineman, etc.  Then its still in play.

 

Judging purely on hype, hard to envision which one of the secondary guys fall to 13.  But if they sign a D lineman in FA like Hankins.  It opens up the door of landing a marquee CB or safety. I said something similar the other day -- but the idea of Vea going top 12 which I am seeing more and more makes all of this feel more realistic.

 

I am listening to the segment now on D. James. Fitzpatrick has just as a big of rep by the way as a leader and culture setter.  Good article about that from SI months back. 

 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/19/minkah-fitzpatrick-alabama-crimson-tide-playoff-nfl

 

“He’s the standard of the program,” says junior running back Damien Harris, a top NFL prospect who credits his success this year to his offseason of working out with Fitzpatrick. Teammates refer to Fitzpatrick as “Coach Saban’s son,” because he’s the only person whose performance reliably makes the famously stone-faced coach smile.

 

“I just like being around him,” Saban says. “I like the way he goes about his work. It’s fun to see him improve and take on new challenges. He’s just one of those favorite guys.”

Saban likes to say, “You can either suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment,” and Fitzpatrick parrots the phrase even off the field. When the Tide won that championship game his freshman year, he called Hansen to apologize for his poor performance. He once looked so distraught on the sideline that Harris asked him what was wrong. “I missed an assignment,” he said. “Dude,” Harris said, “We’re up by 40.”

 

...Fitzpatrick plays every position in the secondary, sometimes switching from snap to snap. He has the cover skills of a cornerback but the instincts and range of a safety. This is the future, Saban says, as the game moves toward pass-heavy, open formations. “He’s the prototype” of a modern college DB, he says.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Keim went today he thinks Vea goes before our pick.   If we run with that scenario

 

offense

Allen

Mayfield

Darnold

Rosen

Q. Nelson

Barkley

 

defense

Chubb

Edmonds 

R. Smith

Vea

 

That's ten players with two spots ahead of our pick.  That leaves either Ward, D. James, M. Fitzpatrick.  Lets say two of them go, that leaves one of them.  Vea and R. Smith might be pushing it by saying they are slam dunk top 12 picks but even if so if all that happens is a surprise pick like L. Jackson, C. Ridley, one of the O lineman, etc.  Then its still in play.

 

Judging purely on hype, hard to envision which one of the secondary guys fall to 13.  But if they sign a D lineman in FA like Hankins.  It opens up the door of landing a marquee CB or safety. I said something similar the other day -- but the idea of Vea going top 12 which I am seeing more and more makes all of this feel more realistic.

 

I am listening to the segment now on D. James. Fitzpatrick has just as a big of rep by the way as a leader and culture setter.  Good article about that from SI months back. 

 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/19/minkah-fitzpatrick-alabama-crimson-tide-playoff-nfl

 

“He’s the standard of the program,” says junior running back Damien Harris...

 

 

Can you imagine how positive for the team it would be to have Fitzpatrick and Allen leading heir respective position groups? Wow. 

 

I want Fitzpatrick, Roquan Smith or Derwin James with our pick, and I think there is a good chance one of them is there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a fear I have.  Fitzpatrick falls to us and we shore up our secondary (it becomes a relative strength again, like last year), but the top backs, guards, and DL are off the board by our 2nd round pick.  

Essentially, we don’t see much improvement, personnel-wise, from last year (we don’t addresss our top 3 needs until the 4th or later).  Now, we should still show some improvement based on health alone (and some growth from the youth), but just how much better will we be?

 

If we extend Smith and Scherff, then going into next year, I’m guessing we’re down to not much cap space.  We’ll (likely) have a lot of draft picks, but the window for Smith gets smaller while we wait for those guys to develop.  

 

Don’t envy the FO trying to walk the fine line of winning now and setting up for the future.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really makes me want: 

1. Minka

2. Either James or Ward.

 

at #13

 

if all 3 are gone I go trade down. 

 

If if we pick one of them, I trade our 2nd an ‘19 3rd to move up for rb help (and I’m infuriated we don’t have a 3rd to trade up with because of the idiotic smith trade (and don’t mention fuller or ill totally lose it)).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

 I trade our 2nd an ‘19 3rd to move up for rb help

 

I think we will try and jump back up into the higher second/lower first for a RB if we stick at #13 and obviously pick a position other than RB.

 

the extra comp pick coming in the 2019 3rd covers that off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The ConsigliereThat’s pretty much where I’m at too.  Can’t pass on a blue chip player, yet we can’t afford to miss out on (or totally reach) addressing one of our top 3 needs in the 2nd.  

 

Not addressing DL, G or back until rd 4 would be painful.  

 

Which is (a big part of) why Hankins makes so much sense.  I could live with a runningback and G competition between who we have and back half picks if we at least seriously addressed the DL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was thinking about our team speed, after watching a recap of the Chiefs season, particularly on offense.  Anyone else think we could use another gamebreaker type - the Chiefs version of Chacandrick West maybe?

 

On defense, Nicholson, Moreau and Brown have a lot of speed, just missing missing a speed rusher. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I wonder why I obsessively look at mock drafts. Reuters on NFL has us picking DJ Moore instead of Minkah Fitzpatrick, seriously... 

 

Moore is nice but he isn't in the class of Fitzpatrick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Was thinking about our team speed, after watching a recap of the Chiefs season, particularly on offense.  Anyone else think we could use another gamebreaker type - the Chiefs version of Chacandrick West maybe?

 

Does guys will be in high demand this year. Bears drafted Tarik Cohen, Eagles really wanted him. And the success of Chiefs 49ers and Eagles is going to make teams look for that type of players. It's important piece of the Reid off coaching tree. 

 

My point. If you want one of does players. Be agressive because a lot of teams are looking at them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Was thinking about our team speed, after watching a recap of the Chiefs season, particularly on offense.  Anyone else think we could use another gamebreaker type - the Chiefs version of Chacandrick West maybe?

 

On defense, Nicholson, Moreau and Brown have a lot of speed, just missing missing a speed rusher. 

 

 

 

If the McPhee signing is confirmed, speed rusher is a real option in the draft. I hope our first couple of selection bring us speed/dynamic playmakers whatever positions they are. Damn I want another pick in the first couple of rounds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRUCE:  I brought this guy; he's almost kind of what you wanted, but I got a great deal on him, so you figure out a way to fit him into your playbook.

 

SKINS COACHES:  WTF!!  Let's see what we can do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes if Vea and QBs go early as expected then we should have either Fitzpatrick, James, or Smith fall to us.  If not then hopefully there are QBs still available that we can trade out to back down 1st round.... so we can get either a good RB or Payne if he is drops even more...   

 

draft cant come soon enough!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HigSkin said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13058/sam-darnold

 

According to ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan, USC's Sam Darnold is the only quarterback the Giants would take at the No. 2 overall pick.
It sounds like the Giants' scouting grades on Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, and Josh Allen simply aren't high enough for GM Dave Gettleman to consider picking one of the non-Darnold quarterbacks at No. 2. Gettleman has a history of drafting running backs high -- he took Christian McCaffrey eighth overall in Carolina last year -- and he never traded down in any round of the draft during four seasons as Panthers GM. Barring Gettleman disregarding his scouts or reversing course on his historical anti-trade-down stance, Penn State RB Saquon Barkley and NC State DE/OLB Bradley Chubb appear to be co-favorites to go at No. 2.

 

I personally think they’d be mad to not take a QB at 2. Irrespective of Eli still having a good few years left. When will the next time they’ll be picking top 5? Hopefully for them, not for a LONG time! Secure the future when you have the opportunity. 

 

Its not like they’re the Eagles coming off a SB or the Cowboys primed to win it all now where that key difference maker to start now will take them over the edge.

 

 

 

Also reading up, everyone speculating on the DB’s, mainly Minkha, Ward and James ..... Yers all presumably wanting the Redskins to make a small trade up to 10 or so? Because, in all likelihood, they aren’t lasting to 13 even if 4 or 5 QB’s go top 15.

 

Hail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Also reading up, everyone speculating on the DB’s, mainly Minkha, Ward and James ..... Yers all presumably wanting the Redskins to make a small trade up to 10 or so? Because, in all likelihood, they aren’t lasting to 13 even if 4 or 5 QB’s go top 15.

 

Hail.

I wouldn’t mind a trade up of a few picks for Minkah, Ward, or James. But I’m hopeful one of them will be there. 

 

3-4 QBs are going in the top 12. I think 1-2 more go between 12-20 with trade ups.

 

There are always need picks- LT or athletic pass rusher- as well. I think Mike McGlinchey ends up going before our pick for example.

 

Maurice Hurst  may be back in the top 12 now that he has been cleared, he would be a good fit for the Colts based on their defensive switch if Chubb is gone.

 

Ridley and/or Sutton probably both go before our pick.

 

I’d be pretty comfortable making a wager that we will have the option of one of Derwin James, Minkah, or Ward.

 

I think Ward is not the top CB on half of the team’s boards based scheme and his size. 

 

If I’m wrong then that means Vita Vea, Smith, or Payne would be available. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by seantaylor=god
Fixed name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

 

Also reading up, everyone speculating on the DB’s, mainly Minkha, Ward and James ..... Yers all presumably wanting the Redskins to make a small trade up to 10 or so? Because, in all likelihood, they aren’t lasting to 13 even if 4 or 5 QB’s go top 15.

 

Hail.

 

I might for Fitzpatrick.  Depending on what they'd give up.  I wouldn't give up the 2nd rounder so I doubt we'd have the capital to do it because trading up a few spots I think warrants at least a third rounder? If I had a third rounder, I'd do it if that's what it took. 

 

I'd say 50-50 one of those three -- Ward, Fitzpatrick, James land at 13.  Almost no chance that 2 of the three do.  And zero chance that all three make it to 13.

 

If Vea, Edmonds and R. Jones make the top 12.  It seems inevitable. With Vea being the wild card.  If these 3 don't make the top 12, then it flips the other way.

 

The 4 Qbs

Barkley

Q. Nelson

Chubb

Vea, Edmonds, R. Jones.  Then 2 of the three secondary players.

That's 12.

 

That leaves one of the secondary guy left.  And that's even assuming no surprises.  Where L. Jackson doesn't creep into the top 12.  No Ridley, no O lineman jump in it, etc.  You add a surprise in the mix then it makes it almost slam dunk that 1 does.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I wouldn’t mind a trade up of a few picks for Minkah, Ward, or James. But I’m hopeful one of them will be there. 

 

3-4 QBs are going in the top 12. I think 1-2 more go between 12-20 with trade ups.

 

There are always need picks- LT or athletic pass rusher- as well. I think Mike McGlinchey ends up going before our pick for example.

 

Maurice Hurst  may be back in the top 12 now that he has been cleared, he would be a good fit for the Colts based on their defensive switch if Chubb is gone.

 

Ridley and/or Sutton probably both go before our pick.

 

I’d be pretty comfortable making a wager that we will have the option of one of Derwin James, Minkah, or Ward.

 

I think Ward is not the top CB on half of the team’s boards based scheme and his size. 

 

If I’m wrong then that means Vita Vea, Smith, or Payne would be available. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think your last three is your best bet. 

 

I could see see someone over-reaching for McGlinchey given the OT pool is so thin you’d have to take one high if you wanted a starter Day One. And people are gonna’ overreach by a round for most of them. (Round Two guys going the first. Rnd 3 going the second etc.). Personally, I wouldn’t go O-line the first this class outside the interior. And only Nelson, one of the two best players the draft IMHO, is worthy of a top 20 pick. Let alone top 10. But need tends to make teams do silly things.

 

Ridley, funnily enough, I figure on falling. Sutton your drafting on traits. Albeit excellent ones to develops And that high you want a guy starting and contributing from the off. 

 

Smith looks the Redskins best candidate to me which would be another Godsend like last year and Allen. Two massive D building blocks. Vea if he fell would be a big consideration but the 1-Techs are deep so I’d not be too worried about missing him. 

 

Personally, I have Minkha as my number one corner. Although he’s as good anywhere you want him the back end. If I were Dorsey, that would be the way I go. QB at 1. Fitzpatrick at 4. Two top-notch, transitional building blocks added to my D front and back in the 'once in a generation' Garrett last year and Fitzpatrick this. Chubb would be another great add but I got a Worldie end last year.

 

if I were a betting man, sans the Bills trading up which I have little doubt they will before draft day, I’d wager 4 QB’s, Barkley,  Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick and Ward are shoo-ins, as much as they can be, for 9 of the top 10 spots. Then take your pick of what’s left the 4a slots before Washington picks.

 

Fascinating first round with so few genuine first-round talents. The mid- back end is really interesting to see the order guys go. 

 

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm onboard with drafting Vea at 13, and if he's gone... Trade down.

 

Simply because the back end of the first round to third round is full of players at positions of need that should be close to BPA as well. The DL, RB, and OG positions should all have very high level talent available when we pick through the first 3 rounds.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

 

Smith looks the Redskins best candidate to me which would be another Godsend like last year and Allen. Two massive D building blocks. Vea if he fell would be a big consideration but the 1-Techs are deep so I’d not be too worried about missing him. 

 

 

The weird thing for Roquan Smith is Keim doubling down twice that from what he heard the Redskins aren't going to take him from what he was told if Zach Brown is back.  I can't recall a beat guy calling out a specific player as off the table in that way in the past.  Maybe Keim is wrong.  Will see. I presume the logic to it is they see Zach Brown and Roquan Smith as both Mo MLBs -- weak side types.

 

Roquan though unlike Zach can cover. 

 

Roquan Smith had one solid year - especially in coverage

DZJcq9rWkAEgywv.jpg
0 replies0 retweets0 likes
Reply
 
 
Retweet
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been against the idea of Smith (purely based off our needs), but... Brown came pretty cheap, so he becomes an excellent backup to Smith at some point (maybe immediately).  Could even bring Smith along slowly as he learns the scheme by playing him in certain packages/situations.  

 

To me, this goes back to signing Hankins.  Alleviates our need for a 1 and 3 tech, allows us to go with an impact player in the 1st, and then hope we can figure out our rb in the 2nd (and find some competition for G later).  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’ve been against the idea of Smith (purely based off our needs), but... Brown came pretty cheap, so he becomes an excellent backup to Smith at some point (maybe immediately).  Could even bring Smith along slowly as he learns the scheme by playing him in certain packages/situations.  

 

I like Roquan Smith.  It's just a weird one with me with Keim more or less saying its not happening.  Keim isn't always right but he if anything is on the conservative side as to throwing out gossip.  So I gather since he's said this twice now he has it on good authority.  It surprises me a little because wasn't Reuben Foster also a speedy weakside-Mo MLB type?  And supposedly they toyed with drafting him last year.

 

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

 

To me, this goes back to signing Hankins.  Alleviates our need for a 1 and 3 tech, allows us to go with an impact player in the 1st, and then hope we can figure out our rb in the 2nd (and find some competition for G later).  

 

Yeah for me, too.  In theory its almost too good to be true -- that it makes me think it won't happen. :(  You got one of the better run stoppers in the league, who is young and it would free up their draft board.  Win, win, win.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’ve been against the idea of Smith (purely based off our needs), but... Brown came pretty cheap, so he becomes an excellent backup to Smith at some point (maybe immediately).  Could even bring Smith along slowly as he learns the scheme by playing him in certain packages/situations.  

 

To me, this goes back to signing Hankins.  Alleviates our need for a 1 and 3 tech, allows us to go with an impact player in the 1st, and then hope we can figure out our rb in the 2nd (and find some competition for G later).  

I think in a vacuum Smith is a much better player than Vita Vea. And I would much rather pick Smith at 13 and then take a DT later.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

The weird thing for Roquan Smith is Keim doubling down twice that from what he heard the Redskins aren't going to take him from what he was told if Zach Brown is back.  I can't recall a beat guy calling out a specific player as off the table in that way in the past.  Maybe Keim is wrong.  Will see. I presume the logic to it is they see Zach Brown and Roquan Smith as both Mo MLBs -- weak side types.

 

Roquan though unlike Zach can cover. 

 

Roquan Smith had one solid year - especially in coverage

DZJcq9rWkAEgywv.jpg
0 replies0 retweets0 likes
Reply
 
 
Retweet
 
 
 

 

If that's right that would be utterly mad. Yet sadly SO Redskins. His best role is ultimately a WIL, but he could comfortably play any LB slot and be a stud for a decade.

 

More fool us if he's the BPA within reason (need), and we pass and he ends up in Dallas. 

 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.