Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I agree with this entire post except the part about not taking Moore at #13.

I'm a firm believer in BPA and imo, that's what he is.

I hear you. But that pick would waste 2-3 years of his cheap rookie contract with Alex Smith in town. We already have Doctson, Crowder, and Richardson, and Alex Smith is notorious for being Captain Check Down, and having only 1 WR he has eyes for. It's highly unlikely he'd use Moore effectively at all until at least 2+ seasons of his rookie contract  were done. Sure, maybe we get a Tyreke Hill situation, but I doubt it, and Hill only needed to jump over injury riddled Maclin, and SPARQ-x freak disappointment Chris Conley. I would be absolutely stunned if we got much out of Moore preceeding 2020 when I'd suspect Alex Smith would be cut (preceeding that season), maybe we'd get lucky and see something late in '19, but I'd suspect we'd get little out of him, and w/all the problems on the roster, and the F.O. and HC under fire, I don't think they're using a 1st on a WR that isn't helping for years, plural. 

But yeah, he wouldn't be a stupid pick, there's value there, he just wouldn't make sense for us, considering what we've done at that position and at QB and w/the F.O. more concerned with job security then long term development. 

5 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Hypothetical. If Barkley drops to #4 or #5 would you consider trading up to get him? Damn that would be tempting. 

If he isn't drafted by the Browns, he's not getting by the Giants.  If he were to somehow make it to 4 or 5, I'd do what I could to get him.

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

If he isn't drafted by the Browns, he's not getting by the Giants.  If he were to somehow make it to 4 or 5, I'd do what I could to get him.

But the Giants won't have a better opportunity than this to draft a replacement for Eli. I bet they are torn on what to do.

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Hypothetical. If Barkley drops to #4 or #5 would you consider trading up to get him? Damn that would be tempting. 

I don't think you could insert Walter Payton into this offense/run-scheme and see much of an improvement to our run game.  So, my short answer is no.

For all of Shannyrat's faults, he took what was essentially the worst OL in football and gave us a prolific running game- almost immediately.  Gruden proved in Cinci (and now here) that he doesn't value running the ball like he does throwing it.  There is nothing creative about our ground game.

Barkley has all the makings of a franchise/HOF back, but I also have a major problem with his tape.  He looks to bounce it outside A LOT(much like Reggie Bush did at USC) which simply doesn't translate at the next level.  Zeke and Fournette were both better "Day 1" backs in my opinion (meaning, if you started them Week 1 of the season they will produce higher numbers) because they trusted their running lanes more.  That being said, Barkley's personality makes me believe he will improve his game and become the elite back everyone seems to think he will be.

18 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

No. He'd be worth it, but not for us. You want Barkley on that cheap rookie contract when you're competitive or close to competitive, so my thought process would be:

1. We need to draft and develop a young QB to replace Alex Smith asap.

2. Our Defense needs help at all 3 levels.

3. Our playmakers on offense are either injury prone, old, or bad w/only a few exceptions, and the exceptions are close to the end of their rookie deals.

As such we need to really rebuild a good portion of the roster, and we need a lot of draft picks to do that. Trading up to draft Barkley would cause two different problems:

#1 While addressing one issue that can likely be addressed just as well in late round 1 to early round 2, it would create multiple issues by costing us a ton of draft picks we need. 

#2 We would waste half of Barkley's rookie deal on a team that's pretty bad and not very competitive.

Now people can disagree with me on 2 and if they do, they could then justify drafting him on that basis, but not redskins fans think we suck and will be worse, not better, in 2018. I don't want to waste 2 years of Barkley's career and the wear and tear on that body on a team that can't actually use him to win playoff games. 

I think it makes more sense to trade down (unless a superstud falls to us), and take a RB in that late first round. Don't borrow crucial picks in '19 to create problems in terms of helping rebuild your team in both 2018, 2019 and beyond. 

16 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Do you mean Barkley? I think he'd make sense for the Giants after QB, but I keep hearing they want to trade down, and just havent gotten anyone to pay the iron price. 

Ronald Jones?  They did have a formal meeting with him at the combine.  There are so many formal meetings you get so they are a bigger deal than the typical informal ones.

Tweets

See 1 new Tweet

#Redskins director of college scouting Kyle Smith is right behind Sam Darnold at USC’s pro day. Obviously looking at everyone else there as well.

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ronald Jones?  They did have a formal meeting with him at the combine.  There are so many formal meetings you get so they are a bigger deal than the typical informal ones.

Tweets

See 1 new Tweet

#Redskins director of college scouting Kyle Smith is right behind Sam Darnold at USC’s pro day. Obviously looking at everyone else there as well.

I firmly believe Jones is guy on their radar. I think they KNOW and want some explosiveness out of that position. If you find an even serviceable LG in the middle rounds, Sprinkle becomes the blocking TE we need, and add a guy like Jones count me in as being really excited to see what this offense can do. We NEED some juice out of that position and have needed it for years. Tired of 2 yard plodders running into peoples backs. Someone to go with Thompson should absolutely be a priority and I could see Jones' skillset meshing well with what they want out of that position.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tweets

See 1 new Tweet

Lets be honest. It would be amateur to not send a scout to a USC pro day. 

I like the idea that they where there for Jones but Uchenna Nwosu isn't a bad player either. Could maybe see him as a second or third round target. Maybe take one of the ILB spots in the future.

And they have a third guy I really like. Rasheem Green. That guy is all upside. Might take two years to get it out of him but he has physical trades you can't teach. But with our current dline group, I don't see it happen. He probably goes to a good team that van slowly work him into the rotation. Team with veteran heavy dline. We have to many similar prospects in Allen, Lanier and Ion.  

14 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Lets be honest. It would be amateur to not send a scout to a USC pro day.

Agree but its not any scout but their head of college personnel.   Kyle has said back when he was an area scout he'd travel a lot -- now much less.

Or said differently, didn't Georgia have their pro day today, too?

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but its not any scout but their head of college personnel.   Kyle has said back when he was an area scout he'd travel a lot -- now much less.

I didn't knew that. I always thought that the hole college scouting department was just on the road between early February and middle of April. That only guys like Doug Bruce and Jay would visit some random pro days but stayed in the office most the time -> work FA and roster building. 

@Skinsinparadise I use this link to track the days. Check it every morning. Hasn't disappointed me yet

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919951/article/2018-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule

14 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I didn't knew that. I always thought that the hole college scouting department was just on the road between early February and middle of April. That only guys like Doug Bruce and Jay would visit some random pro days but stayed in the office most the time -> work FA and roster building. 

@Skinsinparadise I use this link to track the days. Check it every morning. Hasn't disappointed me yet

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919951/article/2018-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule

Thanks for the link.  Yeah I bet Kyle is traveling this time of the year a lot.  It might be nothing.  But I think its interesting that they had a formal meeting with R. Jones at the combine.  And you got their top scout at USC as opposed to Georgia.  Might mean nothing but heck its all speculation until the draft anyway. So all in fun.

I didn't realize until this year how there is a that big of a difference between the informal meetings and formal ones at the combine.  You got a limit of formal ones so they are perceived as a bigger deal.  I don't think for example they had a formal with Michel or Chubb (though i could be wrong) but did have one with Jones.  Now we got today happening.

It could be all nothing but it might be telling that they like Jones over the Georgia guys but who knows.

@LaRonDontLikeUgly Definitely agree on that. While I think that the skillset of our running backs minimizes what we can do (every RB we have has a different skillset but we have no do-it-all back), which in turn makes it easier for defenses to defend the running game against us, I think that our running game is also extremely uncreative. Sure, if you have an o-line that dominates d-lines in every single aspect you can just run the ball down the opponent's throat. But we don't have that.

So if you draft a running back high and invest in that, don't just expect everything to change just because you bring in a new guy. Having someone that can theoretically do it all should open up possibilities for our running game but you better re-assess your play-designs in that regard as well. Otherwise you might just be wasting a high draft pick.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for the link.  Yeah I bet Kyle is traveling this time of the year a lot.  It might be nothing.  But I think its interesting that they had a formal meeting with R. Jones at the combine.  And you got their top scout at USC as opposed to Georgia.  Might mean nothing but heck its all speculation until the draft anyway. So all in fun.

I didn't realize until this year how there is a that big of a difference between the informal meetings and formal ones at the combine.  You got a limit of formal ones so they are perceived as a bigger deal.  I don't think for example they had a formal with Michel or Chubb (though i could be wrong) but did have one with Jones.  Now we got today happening.

It could be all nothing but it might be telling that they like Jones over the Georgia guys but who knows.

Definitely a lot of smoke with regards to Jones. Maybe that explosion argument does hold water, but man does it hurt that he got himself injured at the combine. Really, really, really wanted to see his 40, three cone, and his explosion drills. That stuff really matters with running backs, especially smaller ones. Just saw that Jones said he'll have another pro day in April when his hammy is all the way back. He didn't do any of the drills except for apparently some pass catching with Darnold (and had a drop there, not that that is huge or anything considering the weather and him being cold w/o any of the participation in anything else).

Definitely want to take a closer look at him. A lot of tape guys just love him and he does just barely have the size requirements for a bell cow. I keep hearing Charles comps, but I seriously doubt that. Charles was a truly truly rare talent, particularly in the passing game. 

Hmmm, interesting thing to note, Jones was ranked ahead of Barkley AND Guice coming out of high school. Interesting, didn't know that. Also ran for 100+ yards in 12 of his last 17 games for USC. Not bad at all there. Really wish we had the combine #'s. A little too much bounce outside for my taste but regardless he also shows the ability to run outside, and when you look at his pure production, he's one of only 21 RB's since the year 2000 to amass 3500 rushing yards, rush for 6.0 YPC or better, and catch 30+ passes. 

Definitely an interesting prospect. Wonder if I'm wrong to have him somewhere between 6th and 7th instead of inside my top 5. Don't like relying on Pro Day's, but if he is able to perform at a special workout in April, it would still be interesting to see how he does. 

Would love Chubb. For me, I don't get why there isn't more smoke about Guice, Chubb and Freeman, these guys have the size of Perine, but unlike Perine, they are unbelivably athletic for their size, they're everything we wanted and didn't get from perine or jones, size AND explosive agility. Trying to like Jones, but Chubb, Freeman and Guice make SO much more sense, hell Penny too. 

9 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Would love Chubb. For me, I don't get why there isn't more smoke about Guice, Chubb and Freeman, these guys have the size of Perine, but unlike Perine, they are unbelivably athletic for their size, they're everything we wanted and didn't get from perine or jones, size AND explosive agility. Trying to like Jones, but Chubb, Freeman and Guice make SO much more sense, hell Penny too. 

Some smoke on Guice.  I recall they met with him at the combine.  Someone if I recall from the FO or maybe it was even Jay said to one of the beat guys, Guice is a character-personality (in a good way)

Just got to watch some cut ups of the UGA pro day, and completely confirmed my belief that Chubb could be a monster. Much better lateral quickness, low center of gravity, and excellent long range speed than his running mate Michel. Michel looked like a 3rd down back to me. Good speed, catches well, but runs really tall, and needs holes. 

Chubb showed shake, burst, and good hands. Right now, I'm praying for Chubb to fall to us in the 2nd.

Oh, and Sam Darnold is Bret Favre, without the dickhead attitude.

Hmm..A lot of teams above us taking QB's but with only Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield there aren't enough QB's to go around.  Could there be another QB sneak in top 15?  Miami picks one ahead of the Bills unless they are just trying to get the Bills to trade above them but otherwise, good for Skins to get a better selection of non QB players.

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

Curious. If the Redskins had the number one draft pick (and couldn't trade down) who do you think we should choose? 

If it were me, I'd pick Baker Mayfield.  But I can understand arguments for Darnold and Rosen.  Particularly Darnold.  Mayfield is my personal favorite.

Archived