Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

My knowledge of Warren is incomplete but I’ve watched her absolutely destroy a Wells Fargo executive in a senate hearing and she put forward some really ambitious but realistic policy proposals in the past few months. 

My question is regarding her perception- why do people dislike her and why is she viewed as easily beatable?

She said she was a Native American.

She wasn’t.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Buzz, but no woman will be elected president after Trump reinvigorated overt misogyny. Local, state, and Congressional races are competitive for women as we've seen in every election after 2016. Unfortunately, and being realistic, any woman running for the top spot on the national ticket will get the same treatment that Hillary got for 20 some years.

I would love to be proven wrong and that a woman topping the ticket will win the general in 2020. 

50 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not saying I agree with this but even if it is correct, that doesn't equal the reason people don't like Warren. 

Her personality is dry and she sounds like she is constantly lecturing.

The same things that doomed Jeb Bush...

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

This is mainly it; she's a career law professor not a politician.

She should be an attack dog VP; can deflect criticism by always being on the offensive. She seems to be at her best in that role.

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

I don't disagree. I actually really like her. She's smart, wonkish, understands the moving parts, and really thoughtful.

Unfortunately, she also has the personality of a professor in Ferris Bueller and people like to vote for a President they can share a beer with.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

She said she was a Native American.

She wasn’t.

Unfortunately yes things like this are the problem. 

Sure she made a political blunder by saying that and having it not be very true.

But why is that enough to condemn her and the mt Everest of vile that flows from trump's mouth wasn't or isn't enough to condemn him?

If it isn't because she's a strong willed female Democrat I don't know what it is.

The Nancy Pelosi's and Elizabeth Warren's of the world can win in Massachusetts and California but put them on a national stage and the people who wont even listen to them are too much to overcome. 

5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

This is mainly it; she's a career law professor not a politician.

She should be an attack dog VP; can deflect criticism by always being on the offensive. She seems to be at her best in that role.

Her best role is as an economic policy advisor, given the fact that she's been a Harvard professor in economic policy for so long and basically thought up the CFPB, which is now a significant government agency.  

44 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

You know what I want to see in 2020? A cross party ticket. We almost had one when McCain ran (he wanted Joe Lieberman). Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Republican worth a damn that will run. Kasich? 

Why would you want this? What about the recent republican party makes you think that they deserve a cross party ticket?

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

really think Democrats should nominate the person that they want as President, not the person they think is best suited to campaign against Trump.  Trump shouldn't get to dictate our pick.  

Yep. Republicans trying that found it to be a losing strategy with both McCain and Romney. Neither were the face of the Republican party, but they thought they would be attractive to the other side. What wound up happening is that the guy they nominated for VP wound up being their true candidate, but the top of the ticket wound up deflating party enthusiasm and not tricking the other side anyway.

Just now, Burgold said:

Yep. Republicans trying that found it to be a losing strategy with both McCain and Romney. Neither were the face of the Republican party, but they thought they would be attractive to the other side. What wound up happening is that the guy they nominated for VP wound up being their true candidate, but the top of the ticket wound up deflating party enthusiasm and not tricking the other side anyway.

That is an excellent point, and different than the way I was thinking about it.  My view is that if Dems pick someone that is competent and inspirational and kind and dignified and has integrity etc. ... you know, all of the "traditional" qualifications for President ... that person will win.  When Trump won, the entire country thought Hillary was the one under serious federal investigation and Trump, while a scumbag, was not actually a criminal and, also, that he'd grow into the job.  Those things are clearly not true and roughly 65% of the country will admit it.  

But I also agree with your point that nominating someone to appease people that aren't going to vote for you anyways is a losing strategy.  The strategy HAS TO BE to win your base and turn out as many people that don't like Trump (again, roughly 65%) as possible. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Er, she said she had Native Americans in her ancestry and the blood test said exactly that.  

Yes, her laughable, publicized blood test that proved that she was 99% European and just a smidge Native.  Hell, I think I’m more Native that Elizabeth Warren.  No.  It was a joke.  And instead of people (like you) saying “she might not be Native, but she has a good cause and a nice heart.”  You’re all like “Nenerneeener.  See, it says right here that 1,000 years ago there was a full blown Indian in her family.”

Im more Native American than Elizabeth Warren and I consider myself profoundly and undoubtedly, white.

I want my democrat nominee to not look a fool when trying to stoop to Trumps ‘s level of mindless publicity games.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Yes, her laughable, publicized blood test that proved that she was 99% European and just a smidge Native.  Hell, I think I’m more Native that Elizabeth Warren.  No.  It was a joke.  And instead of people (like you) saying “she might not be Native, but she has a good cause and a nice heart.”  You’re all like “Nenerneeener.  See, it says right here that 1,000 years ago there was a full blown Indian in her family.”

Im more Native American than Elizabeth Warren and I consider myself profoundly and undoubtedly, white.

I want my democrat nominee to not look a fool when trying to stoop to Trumps ‘s level of mindless publicity games.

Maybe you should get your news from somewhere other than the President's Twitter feed.  

46 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Just pointing out that you are asserting that McCain and Romney lost because they weren't right wing loony, and Trump won because he successfully pretended to be. 

That running a moderate doesnt work, and running an extremist does. 

And asserting that you want the Democrats to follow that formula. 

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, Buzz, but no woman will be elected president after Trump reinvigorated overt misogyny. Local, state, and Congressional races are competitive for women as we've seen in every election after 2016. Unfortunately, and being realistic, any woman running for the top spot on the national ticket will get the same treatment that Hillary got for 20 some years.

I would love to be proven wrong and that a woman topping the ticket will win the general in 2020. 

She will be if she doesn't embrace the whole being the first women president similar to how Obama avoided embracing being the first black president, at least until after he was elected. Hillary would not shut up about chance to be first female president, that was a mistake. Hell, Obama didnt become the first black president until towards the end of his second term.

I like Warren policy-wise for the most part, but I sort of have the same fear with her as I did Bernie.  When they get on the national stage and have to go up against someone spewing nonsense who is quick on their feet with the cheap insults, Bernie & Warren always try to fall back on is long policy explanations and while I personally am fine with that, I have a feeling it won't capture the mainstream audience and they will tune out.  

I won't want someone younger, who isn't going to stand for the nonsense.  Trump needs to be called out on his BS during the debate.   In 2016, Hilary was debating a hypothetical Trump.  It was hard to truly nail him on things politically.  That should not be the case in 2020 where he has a clear track record of lying.  Flat out lying.  Whoever is debating him needs to be ready to go and really drive home the point that the man is a fraud, and has always been one. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why would you want this? What about the recent republican party makes you think that they deserve a cross party ticket?

Exactly.  This isn't the 1700s, I don't think as polarized as our political system is that we can have two people with damn near equal power hating each other and trying to sabotage each others plans to appease their base.  What they really mean is a moderate republican who finally gave up and went Dem as say VP, which I wouldn't do either right now.

Archived