Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Turnout is key. Trump tops out at around 40% support - but those people get out and vote. The turnout at the mid terms was a historic high driven by big increases in younger people (up 16%) and women (up 12%). These people were largely voting for change and against Trump.

If that trend continues through 2020 Trump is in big trouble. But if the Democrats screw up their primary process and elect a bad candidate or alienate parts of that group in the process at least Trump might just win. Which does NOT bear thinking about.

The young people probably won't like Democratic nominee. The nominee will either not be their candidate or the nominee will not be with them on the issues.

They will have to decide do they suck it up and vote for a nominee that an anathema to them; or do they not vote or vote 3rd party and risk Trump winning reelection.

That would means Trump's right wing policies would be even more enshrined; especially if the GOP regains full control. Even more right wing judges confirmed. America would slip back into the dark ages and the young people would be living in a dark era, they can only imagine.

Because Trump is the opponent,  more than likely they won't get their candidate. That person, who would

move the country in the left progressive direction they want.

Who can beat Trump is the only thing this time. 50% of the Dem electorate is over 45 and they will want the person who can beat Trump. A big reason why Biden has the early lead.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I like Joe Biden less the more he speaks. And he was my favorite coming into this thing. 

I'm not happy with either Biden or Sanders. They are taking attention away from the other candidates. They should be out there fighting against voter suppression and for voter registration efforts. 

They are old, the 2018 election showed the way of younger, more diverse candidates across the country is the way to defeat Republicans. I'm sorry that I am seeing the DNC doubling down on the old centrist ways of the Clinton years.

9 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm not happy with either Biden or Sanders. They are taking attention away from the other candidates. They should be out there fighting against voter suppression and for voter registration efforts. 

They are old, the 2018 election showed the way of younger, more diverse candidates across the country is the way to defeat Republicans. I'm sorry that I am seeing the DNC doubling down on the old centrist ways of the Clinton years.

Sanders doesn't really surprise me. Not sure if thats good or bad. But hes pretty much giving me what I thought I would get from him. And at this point I would take that over Trump and Biden. 

The DNC will lose it again if they keep this up. 

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Biden and Sanders are old but have two totally different viewpoints on america. Biden thinks Trump is an aberration and we can fix it. He thinks this country was perfect before Trump. Sanders thinks Trump is a symptom to a bigger problem. That problem has been festering since the beginning.

Saying they both are old and past it needs more nuance.

55 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The DNC was critiqued as being out of touch with workin class Muricans in 2016. Let us hope t hat narrative doesn't continue in 2020. 

The working class, as a group, in America mostly votes for Democrats. 

For some reason, we equate the working class to white people, when a huge chunk of the working class is actually brown and black people. 

38 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

For some reason, we equate the working class to white people, when a huge chunk of the working class is actually brown and black people. 

This is a very interesting article from the NY Times: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/us/politics/trump-voters-job-layoffs.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

There’s No Boom in Youngstown, but Blue-Collar Workers Are Sticking With Trump

Two things stood out to me:

1)  In May 2016, David Betras, a Democratic Party leader in the heart of industrial northeast Ohio, sent a memo warning Hillary Clinton’s campaign that it was on the verge of losing Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan because she was not connecting with blue-collar voters. These states “should be easy wins for us,’’ he wrote.

He said he got no answer. As he sees it now, Democrats are still just as out of touch.

2) “What I want from a president is the rest of the world to look at him and go, ‘Don’t mess with that guy, he will get even,’” Mr. Franks said one morning in the Yankee Kitchen in Vienna Township, Ohio. “I don’t want kinder, gentler. I don’t want some female that wants her agenda.”

So, the fact that plants are closing and their taxes are higher doesn't matter.  They see Trump as someone who can fight back even if it ****s them in the long run.

46 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The white working class is more spread out across America.

10 minutes ago, First Colony said:

This is a very interesting article from the NY Times: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/us/politics/trump-voters-job-layoffs.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

There’s No Boom in Youngstown, but Blue-Collar Workers Are Sticking With Trump

Two things stood out to me:

1)  In May 2016, David Betras, a Democratic Party leader in the heart of industrial northeast Ohio, sent a memo warning Hillary Clinton’s campaign that it was on the verge of losing Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan because she was not connecting with blue-collar voters. These states “should be easy wins for us,’’ he wrote.

He said he got no answer. As he sees it now, Democrats are still just as out of touch.

2) “What I want from a president is the rest of the world to look at him and go, ‘Don’t mess with that guy, he will get even,’” Mr. Franks said one morning in the Yankee Kitchen in Vienna Township, Ohio. “I don’t want kinder, gentler. I don’t want some female that wants her agenda.”

So, the fact that plants are closing and their taxes are higher doesn't matter.  They see Trump as someone who can fight back even if it ****s them in the long run.

These people want to die.

But Trump's poll numbers are bad in the midwest.

The Democratic Party have also abandoned the working class as well so these people fall back on tribalism.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The white working class is more spread out across America.

These people want to die.

But Trump's poll numbers are bad in the midwest.

The Democratic Party have also abandoned the working class as well so these people fall back on tribalism.

I agree and that's the point.  The Dems seem to be patting themselves on the back for being so much smarter than Trump but are drifting away from what used to be their base. 

4 minutes ago, First Colony said:

I agree and that's the point.  The Dems seem to be patting themselves on the back for being so much smarter than Trump but are drifting away from what used to be their base. 

Well tbf, this was before Trump. From Carter to Obama, they eschewed working-class voters in favor of big corporations. I think Sanders and Warren are two who are putting some lightweight effort into courting those voters, but they could go harder. If someone came out and advocated for unions and put in proposals to encourage and protecting organizing, you would see those voters go back to blue. Majority of the working class does vote for Democrats, but the white working class isn't as geographically concentrated as other groups.

52 minutes ago, First Colony said:

“What I want from a president is the rest of the world to look at him and go, ‘Don’t mess with that guy, he will get even,’” Mr. Franks said one morning in the Yankee Kitchen in Vienna Township, Ohio. “I don’t want kinder, gentler. I don’t want some female that wants her agenda.”

If this is the type of person Dems are trying to win, they will never win an election. 

"I don't want some female that wants her agenda" pretty much tells you half of the rationale of the Trump supporter with "economic anxiety" It's outright racism, ignorance or it's this which is just "I want dick and balls and I want those dick and balls to be assholes and no woman can be tough like those dick and balls can" sexism. 

They're a waste of time. 

Archived