Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Biden Pres.

I dunno who at VP.

Obama SecState.

Fastest path to fixing the current mess.  Biden knows how stuff is supposed to work and is respected.  Obama could, as SecState, also help mend fences internationally, which would also be crucial economically seeing as we're starting all the trade wars.

No one else can do quite what Biden could on the "okay we ****ed up with Trump, let's reset the clock to Jan 19, 2017 and get mulligan."

3 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Biden Pres.

I dunno who at VP.

Obama SecState.

Fastest path to fixing the current mess.  Biden knows how stuff is supposed to work and is respected.  Obama could, as SecState, also help mend fences internationally, which would also be crucial economically seeing as we're starting all the trade wars.

No one else can do quite what Biden could on the "okay we ****ed up with Trump, let's reset the clock to Jan 19, 2017 and get mulligan."

Biden/Schiff? 

Im just nervous that Biden would be considered boring or just not move the needle enough. 

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Biden/Schiff? 

Im just nervous that Biden would be considered boring or just not move the needle enough. 

Have you ever watched Biden?

He's hilarious.

Remember when he said he'd fistfight Trump?  Downright savage.

But mainly I think Biden hits just about every checkbox except being under 60.  He's from Scranton and has a history of fighting for the little guy.  He's got a cruise ship load of experience.  He's well respected on the world stage.  The biggest problem is he'll be 78 in 2020.  But I think if/when he debates Trump head to head, his sharpness will shine through.

I still don't see why people think that Biden can beat anybody.  This is a guy that voted against the 1st Iraq War, voted for the 2nd, and publicly stated that he advised Obama to not approve the mission to get bin Laden.

From there, they key to winning the Democratic nominee is the African American vote.  The likes of Elizabeth Warren and Gillibrand do not have strong ties to the African American community and were not going to beat Hillary and won't win the nomination (unless the African American vote gets split by the likes of Harris and Booker (and I think Biden could pull in some of that vote due to his close association/friendship with Obama, but not enough)).

The other thing with Biden is that he's also played into Trump's wheel house with his tough talk of fighting him, which he isn't really going to do.  Trump is going to call him a fake tough guy.  He says he wants to fight Trump, but doesn't do it, and wouldn't even approve of getting bin Laden, and it is going to stick.

9 hours ago, PeterMP said:

The other thing with Biden is that he's also played into Trump's wheel house with his tough talk of fighting him, which he isn't really going to do.  Trump is going to call him a fake tough guy.  He says he wants to fight Trump, but doesn't do it, and wouldn't even approve of getting bin Laden, and it is going to stick.

Trump's going to call him Creepy Touch Joe or Bad Touch Biden. Already see the right running with that storyline. Dems need to nominate someone the right hasn't been smearing already.

• 2 weeks later...

Only July 4, 2018; it still looks like Trump wins reelection.  On the plus side, Election Day 2020 is still 28 months away; so  alot can happen to change the equation. Trump's tariffs can send the economy into a tailspin; which would be the best way to defeat him.  Mueller could actually find something that sticks.  Trump could choke on a Big Mac.  Alot could happen.    

If the economy is doing well, he will be very hard to beat.

I've put my third party dreams on hold, until 2022 but I can easily see a 3rd Party/Independent run in 2020.

The real action is going to be in the Democratic primaries/caucuses; where the fight for the future of the Dems will be.  You can have 20 to 30 legit candidates running.  We thought 16 GOPers was bad enough; trying having debates for 20 to 30 candidates.  Will the Dems field another Mcgovern/Mondale?  Will they field someone that can actually beat Trump?  The fate of the country depends on what happens.

As for the GOP. Trump may get primaried; but any candidate who runs, will go nowhere.  Trump's got his core cult and that's 30% at least. They will be with him. no matter what.  Those evangelicals will also be with him.  He's giving them, everything they want. They aren't going against him.   His core and the evangelicals alone; should be enough for him to crush any GOP primary opposition.  Trump is at 80% or more popularity among GOPers.  One thing that may hurt him, if the tariffs send the economy into a recession.  IF that happens though, his whole candidacy is in trouble.  A bad economy will be his kyrptonite. 

If there's a third party run, you want that run to hurt Trump.  First, a third party/independent candidate will not win the Presidency.  At best, maybe they are as successful as Ross Perot in 1992 or George Wallace in 1968.  You want a third party run from the GOP side. Kasich, Flake, Corker, etc...   Someone who will take GOP votes away from Trump. Take away enough votes, that the election is tipped towards the Democratic candidate.  You also provide a legit alternative to the corrupt Trump GOP for the future.  I'm not so sure  Kasich, Flake,Corker would mount a third party/independent bid.  Could they even raise the money?  They would probably launch a futile primary bid that goes nowhere.    If Trump is damaged enough going into 2020; especially, if it's a bad ecomony; there will probably be a full slate of GOP candidates.

If there's a third party run from the left; then Trump wins easily.

I think the Dems are doomed if they field a moderate candidate in the 2020 election.

The only one with name recognition is who would stand a chance is Biden but he may be  too old.  Whoever they field needs to not act like a **** and always be attacking Trump, every day, several times a day.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If the economy is doing well, (Trump) will be very hard to beat.

Agreed.  Second term Presidential elections really tend to be referenda on the incumbent, and the economy is the #1 issue determining people's opinions.  

Might not be smart.  Might not be fair.  But that is the way it usually goes.  

13 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think the Dems are doomed if they field a moderate candidate in the 2020 election.

The only one with name recognition is who would stand a chance is Biden but he may be  too old.  Whoever they field needs to not act like a **** and always be attacking Trump, every day, several times a day.

I don't agree. I think if a guy like Steve Bullock were to run and win the primary and to add a more progressive running mate. That would be a winning combination. A Dem Governor from a Red State in middle America would look good compared to a pushing 300lb "Coastal Elite" who isn't going to get less crazy.

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If she runs, she is dumb.  If the DNC supports her, we are all screwed on epic levels.

How can you say that about the most qualified candidate EVER?

Archived