Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Love Tammy Duckworth. She deserves to be one of the most admired people in the country. She'd be an obvious slam dunk as Secretary fo Defense if she wanted it. She'd be a greta choice for Secretary of State. I'd rather have her as the nominee then Biden. I'd consider her if she ran for President next time.

But as VP, she adds nothing to the ticket. Nothing. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Love Tammy Duckworth. She deserves to be one of the most admired people in the country. She'd be an obvious slam dunk as Secretary fo Defense if she wanted it. She'd be a greta choice for Secretary of State. I'd rather have her as the nominee then Biden. I'd consider her if she ran for President next time.

But as VP, she adds nothing to the ticket. Nothing. 

Who would add something to the ticket? 

Some excellent VP choices for sure. Hopefully one of these current VP choices is a future POTUS

22 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Warren, Harris, Demings, Lujan Grisham, Baldwin (but I don't want to lose her Senate seat), Abrams. 

I think the Warren ship has sailed, though she would certainly do a great job. I would also include the Nevada Senator Masto and Michigan Gov.  

At this point, the Dems should be looking at an all female ticket next go round. Too many powerhouse candidates. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I think the Warren ship has sailed, though she would certainly do a great job. I would also include the Nevada Senator Masto and Michigan Gov.  

I have always been doubtful Biden would have the vision to select warren, who I find to be the best choice by a mile. But I'm not sure the "ship has sailed" anymore than it has on multiple others. 

But I was just pointing out candidates that would "add something" as per the question, rather than starting a big debate on each of their merits at the moment. 

Not a comprehensive list, there are others, certainly Whitmer among them. Cortez Masto I wouldn't mention as she removed herself from consideration.  

18 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I just think a white person will be selected as VP. It's also possible Warren could be far more effective in her role as a Senator. 

I'm pretty sure you meant "won't be" and I tend to agree. Just not willing to say "ship has sailed" because I think she is still on the short list and more under consideration than others who get mentioned.

But again the question was who adds to the ticket and I think she would add more than anyone else. 

I honestly don't get the Warren love. She is an awful politician. The DNA test thing was so stupid. Her strategy in the primary (making a play for Bernie cultists and saying stupid **** like calling Biden a Republican) was beyond dumb (couldn't even win her own state). And I find her "I have a plan for that" shtick obnoxious. I know the activist and blue checkmark wing of the party loves her but when was the last time they were right about something? 

As far as the general goes, Trump's only play is to tie Biden to leftists and reverse his support in the suburbs and among seniors. Picking Warren would help him with that. 

With so many other qualified candidates, Warren wouldn't just isn't worth the risk imo 

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Trump's re-election is about White grievance?   Wasn't that what his election was about also?  He sure didn't solve any of those grievances his white base was aggrieved about. 

No one is ever going to solve "white grievance", they're just going to make the supposedly oppressed whites feel more justified. 

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm pretty sure you meant "won't be" and I tend to agree. Just not willing to say "ship has sailed" because I think she is still on the short list and more under consideration than others who get mentioned.

But again the question was who adds to the ticket and I think she would add more than anyone else. 

I definitely meant to say will NOT be a white person.

I do think it's possible to go with one of either the New Mexico Governor or Nevada Senator and release the Supreme Court list that fulfills his promise of appointing a black woman first opportunity. 

Why would she add more than anyone else? (serious question)

37 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I definitely meant to say will NOT be a white person.

I do think it's possible to go with one of either the New Mexico Governor or Nevada Senator and release the Supreme Court list that fulfills his promise of appointing a black woman first opportunity. 

I think it will be Kamala.

54 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There are a lot of reasons, and I won't go into detail explaining why I think so, but give you a snapshot list.

1. Platform. Biden is winning because he's experienced, sane and not Trump. What he doesn't have is policy positions that he's identified with and that can inspire voters. Warren, more than anyone, can become a point person on advancing specific policy proposals, giving something to vote for, not just vote against.

2. Unity. The left of the party never unified behind Hillary, and it led to a severe lack of energy that led to lower turnout and defections to third party candidates, as well as indirect effects from less willingness to volunteer, etc. Warren is the clear choice of that branch of the party. 

3. Youth. Kind of connected to number 2, the depressed turnout numbers among Progressives, Black, and hispanic voters was mostly from younger voters. Warren is consistently the top choice among younger voters.

4. Suburban women. This is the strength of the party right now, From 2016 to now, this is where the Democratic Party is growing. Warren is stronger with this group than anyone. 

5. She's the best campaigner of the potential candidates.

6. She's the best debater if the potential candidates. 

7. She's the best fundraiser of the potential candidates. 

Bonus: Her brother dying from Covid gives her more gravitas on the virus than anyone else would.

Now, it may be that the country's situation means that black voters won't accept a white VP candidate. I would need to see some focus group testing and/or targeted polling to be sure. I don't see any evidence of it, I just see people kind of assuming it.

But if so, it'd be a shame, because none of the other possibilities bring anywhere near what she would. 

How is it that Warren was so popular with the strength of the Dem party and with younger votes but she didn't even win a primary, I don't think? The intent of that question is to cause one to reflect. Maybe you are vastly undervaluing other choices and their ability to turn out voters and perhaps, most importantly, undervaluing the importance of having a life perspective on the ticket from someone that isn't white.

As far as turning out the vote examples go, if not for voter suppression in Georgia, a black woman would've been Governor of a southern state. That's really damn impressive. For all Warren's supposive strengths among groups, she never won a primary, I don't think. 

2 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^...and she would kick Pence's ass in any debate they have. 

Who wouldn't?

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

How is it that Warren was so popular with the strength of the Dem party and with younger votes but she didn't even win a primary, I don't think?

Because the left aligned behind Sanders and the black voters behind Biden, mainly on believing he was more electable. The choice for Veep isn't going to be Sanders, nor is it going to be a white man, so that has nothing to do with anything.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The intent of that question is to cause one to reflect. Maybe you are vastly undervaluing other choices and their ability to turn out voters and perhaps, most importantly, undervaluing the importance of having  a life perspective on the ticket from someone that isn't white.

No, I'm going off of polling and other bits of evidence. 

And Kamala Harris is considered the most likely pick. She didn't do a fraction as well in the primaries as Warren.

10 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Because the left aligned behind Sanders and the black voters behind Biden, mainly on believing he was more electable. The choice for Veep isn't going to be Sanders, nor is it going to be a white man, so that has nothing to do with anything.

No, I'm going off of polling and other bits of evidence. 

And Kamala Harris is considered the most likely pick. She didn't do a fraction as well in the primaries as Warren.

I agree with that. She did not perform well and I say that as a supporter. Way to all over the place trying to placate everyone to win votes. 

btw, I don’t view Warren as a weak choice, I just value others equally as strong. I’ve been so impressed with a variety of candidates that I’ll be happy with any under consideration. I think any will all be great and help turn out the vote.

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

btw, I don’t view Warren as a weak choice, I just value others equally as strong. I’ve been so impressed with a variety of candidates that I’ll be happy with any under consideration. I think any will all be great and help turn out the vote.

I was a Warren supporter in the primaries, which is obviously part of the reason I want her as Veep. However, I always felt there would need to be a POC on the ticket, so I didn't really consider her for the role originally. 

But, having started from that place, I kept seeing data that changed my opinion (such as that more black voters would be more likely to vote for a Biden/Warren ticket than any other) and I reconsidered. I would love to more diversity on the ticket, but Warren just has way more positives than I see with any other candidates, most fo whom also come with negatives that are troubling. 

DONALD TRUMP HAS A SECRET PLAN TO WIN (SERIOUSLY)

>>>

The only person in the world who doesn’t realize that Donald Trump is getting his ass kicked is—of course—Donald Trump. Joe Biden is winning by more, and in more places, than anyone thought possible just a few months ago. Things seem to be getting worse, not better, for the president. There has been a lot of credulous and, frankly, amusing reporting about the struggles within the Trump campaign to adjust to this new political reality. The Washington Post among others has detailed a supposedly roiling debate in the Trump campaign over whether to keep calling Biden “Sleepy Joe” or pivot to “Corrupt Joe.” 

Trumpworld is filled with so many people who hate each other (and themselves) that it is always hard to distinguish facts from the feuds. However, I think the chaos and backbiting detailed in the press obscure the fact that the Trump campaign is in fact beginning to execute a plan to win the election. It is not a great plan, it is certainly not being executed by the best and the brightest, and is frequently undermined when the candidate opens his mouth, but it is nevertheless a plan. And after what happened in 2016, it would be foolish to assume that Trump can’t rebound from his abysmal position and stumble into a second term.

When I’m trying to understand what a campaign is thinking, I always apply two maxims. First, follow the money. Tweets are free. Ads cost a lot of money. Campaigns only run ads that are backed by polling and data. Second, ads released with great fanfare are usually designed to shape media narratives, not to persuade voters. Therefore, the ads that campaigns want to fly under the radar tend to be the most suggestive of what they believe internally will have the greatest influence on the electorate. <<<

Archived