Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

Every time I listen to Buttigieg I am more convinced he would be an excellent President.

I will never vote for Trump, Sanders, or Warren.  All of them are or would destroy America's competitive advantages for short term rewards.

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with Warren?

On some issues, she's a little further left then I'd like, but I do put in her a different basket than Trump and Sanders.

(I hope/pray Sanders doesn't win the nomination.  I'd have a very hard time voting for him.)

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

Every time I listen to Buttigieg I am more convinced he would be an excellent President.

All I know about him was one interview I saw on a Sunday news show. Don't even remember a single policy position. But I sure liked his personality. 

Yeah, he could easily lose me with some bad policies. But right now, at the "feelie" stage, I wouldn't mind him a bit. 

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with Warren?

For one, she wants to break up tech companies. I am ok with some privacy regulations on FB, and maybe considering the upside of forcing Amazon to sell off AWS, but it is the tech giants like Apple, Google and Amazon we need to keep America's competitive and technological edge. Likewise her "wealth tax" on unrealized gains and increases in corporate tax rates are bad policies. Slashing deductions for corporations is a much better way to raise revenue.

I wish somehow it were possible for Weld to win the GOP nomination, but it's not, so now I am hoping for Mayor Pete or Kobluchar (who has no chance). I could settle for Biden or Booker, and I would vote for Kamala over DaCheeto Mussolini. 

29 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

but it is the tech giants like Apple, Google and Amazon we need to keep America's competitive and technological edge.

What says that anti-trust litigation against these companies will destroy our competitive tech edge (I also don’t think this edge really exists anymore)? 

Microsoft was hit with anti-trust litigation last decade and it seems to have had mostly positive effects. 

A lot really depends on what the anti-trust litigation would be. For instance, we probably see more innovation if we are allowed third party App Stores on the iPhone instead of Apple functioning as the gatekeeper of software developed on  iOS.

Peter Thiel wrote a long essay in WSJ several years ago essentially defending these monopolies on the basis that free market competition is bad for their bottom lines. https://www.wsj.com/articles/peter-thiel-competition-is-for-losers-1410535536

1 hour ago, Larry said:

All I know about him was one interview I saw on a Sunday news show. Don't even remember a single policy position. But I sure liked his personality. 

Yeah, he could easily lose me with some bad policies. But right now, at the "feelie" stage, I wouldn't mind him a bit. 

To my knowledge the only policy he has stated is his desire to expand the supreme court to 15 judges. 5 judges conservative, 5 liberal and the remaining 5 have to be unanimously approved by the other 10 judges. 

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

For one, she wants to break up tech companies. I am ok with some privacy regulations on FB, and maybe considering the upside of forcing Amazon to sell off AWS, but it is the tech giants like Apple, Google and Amazon we need to keep America's competitive and technological edge. Likewise her "wealth tax" on unrealized gains and increases in corporate tax rates are bad policies. Slashing deductions for corporations is a much better way to raise revenue.

I wish somehow it were possible for Weld to win the GOP nomination, but it's not, so now I am hoping for Mayor Pete or Kobluchar (who has no chance). I could settle for Biden or Booker, and I would vote for Kamala over DaCheeto Mussolini. 

I don't know much about corporate tax code and the only thing I know about what she's planned is she's mostly going after the largest companies.  I like that idea in that she is leaving smaller companies alone.  But in general you might be right on that.  Though, it is clear that the Trump's tax cut hasn't spurred the investment and growth that was claimed.  I think there is a lot of evidence the issue with our economy and the global economy isn't lack of investment.

But I think you are wrong on the breaking up the big companies.   As @No Excuses is outlining in the few posts above this, I suspect they are actually driving down innovation and competition and driving up income and wealth inequality.

There is also a history there of them doing things to drive down the wages of their employees that are anti-competitive.

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

To my knowledge the only policy he has stated is his desire to expand the supreme court to 15 judges. 5 judges conservative, 5 liberal and the remaining 5 have to be unanimously approved by the other 10 judges. 

He's gotta reasonable issues page up.

https://peteforamerica.com/issues/

Nothing outrageous for a Democratic candidate in 2019 (Medicare for all that want it).

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

He's gotta reasonable issues page up.

https://peteforamerica.com/issues/

Nothing outrageous for a Democratic candidate in 2019 (Medicare for all that want it).

yeah but those seem more like just goals than actual policies. I don't think he has released any true policy proposals of his own the way Warren, Beto, Sanders, Harris, Booker etc have. I like him but I'm starting to need to see more substance in his ideas. 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

yeah but those seem more like just goals than actual policies. I don't think he has released any true policy proposals of his own the way Warren, Beto, Sanders, Harris, Booker etc have. I like him but I'm starting to need to see more substance in his ideas. 

He has no policies.

He is a poor man's Obama.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Do you think anyone in, say, 2006, would have believed a black man named Barack Hussein Obama could win the presidency...

We were normal then.

This is era of Trump. Where every racist, sexist,homophobe,bigot, etc.. Are now out in the open. 

They have the President agreeing  or at least sympathizing with their view.

Pete gets it, you will hear cries of the apocalypse is now upon us and it will work. They are still to many Americans who will never vote for a gay man or woman.

I say we are still a decade away. By then enough people with those views will gave died off.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We were normal then.

This is era of Trump. Where every racist, sexist,homophobe,bigot, etc.. Are now out in the open. 

They have the President agreeing  ir at least sympathizing with their view.

Pete gets it, you will hear cries of the apocalypse is now upon us and it will work. They are still to many Americans who will never vote for a gay man or woman.

I say we are still a decade away. By then enough people with those views will gave died off.

People that sympathize with that view are voting for Trump no matter who the Dems nominate.  Everyone else, well, doesn't hold those views.  

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I wish somehow it were possible for Weld to win the GOP nomination, but it's not, so now I am hoping for Mayor Pete or Kobluchar (who has no chance). 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The drumbeat to war with Iran is really going to test how much or little was learned from the last time the GOP was in control of the White House. 

Have we not already failed that test?

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

In the era of Trump, you really think a gay man could win the presidency?

I don't.  Mayor Pete could win the nomination but he would lose the general.

I think it’s more likely a gay man win the presidency than a straight woman.

I absolutely believe gay hurts his chances. 

I may be wrong, (first time for everything), but I seem to remember that blacks don't have nearly the acceptance of gays that whites do. Wouldn't be surprised if that's true of Hispanics, too. 

Obama got over 90% of the black vote, and historical turnout. Does Pete?

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

People that sympathize with that view are voting for Trump no matter who the Dems nominate.  Everyone else, well, doesn't hold those views.  

So why would electing a gay or female be a problem for the Dems?

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

He has no policies.

He is a poor man's Obama.

He gave a big speech on foreign policy, which I don’t think any other candidate has done this campaign.  Now it could have been perhaps more in depth, but it still was better than anyone else has done as a comprehensive foreign policy speech/plan so far.

At the moment though I’m leaning more towards him being VP and Warren for pres.  

Archived